“Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, California
“Paradise”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this place! I just got back from my second trip here (once in Aug 2010 and now in July 2012). It's absolutely beautiful, huge rooms with private hot tub, ocean views, and spectacular service. I would definitely recommend getting a package with transportation and breakfast. If you get transportation, they will pick you up from the airport and bring you to the Esperanza in an SUV with water and snacks. You get a wonderful greeting where your personal concierge brings you on a quick tour of the property and straight to your room (no check in desk here)! Then you can hang out by the pool, eat at one of their many restaurants or just hang in your room. The pool is great and they bring by fun little snacks or drinks every 30 minutes or so. The beach is great because it is completely private. It's rocky so it's not really swimmable although the front desk has snorkel gear if you want to venture out there. Service is impeccable. When I tried to order cookies for room service they said they were out but when they arrived he told me the chef baked them freshly for me for no charge. Breakfast is expensive if you don't get it included but it's amazing. Freshly baked pastries, freshly squeezed juice and a great meal.

My fiance and I love this place so much that we are thinking of getting married there next year! We went on a tour of all the rooms and we were so blown away by the suites and villas. The villas even come with a professional chef and butler for your service 24 hours. Not to mention amazing views and personal pools. This is apparently where all the celebs and even Obama stayed. I've visited the Palmilla and Capella Pedregal and they both have amazing service as well but I think the property of Esperanza plus the service makes this place unique.

1 Thank mandylosangeles
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! We would be delighted for you to celebrate such a special occasion here at Esperanza, an Auberge Resort.

Thank you for such wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us. Our entire team love receiving such great comments from our long time fans!

We do hope you will return very soon to our "Paradise", hopefully for your wedding or even sooner!

Marc Rodriguez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This was our 4th trip to the Esperanza--and believe me it will NOT be our last! Everything about it is spectacular--the accomodations, hotel grounds, cuisine, spa, everything! There is nothing to leave the resort for. It is not the wild, party scene like that in the city of Cabo, so if that's what your are looking for, this is not the place. If you do want a truly relaxing, romantic vacation, while being treated like you are royalty, then just book your reservation now. The Esperanza is decidedly not budget-friendly, but if you can overlook the high prices ( which to me are totally worth the experience) then look no further. We have visited and truly enjoyed several of the other high-end hotels on the hotel strip like Las Ventanas (full of celebrities) and the Palmilla ( gotten too big and glizty since the renovation) on different occasions, but to us the Esperanza is a great mix of all of them.

We always stay in a gorgeous casita overlooking the sea--this time with a hot tub with an infinity edge-nice!--it is always very well-appointed and over-the top-comfortable. There is an excellent spa and workout facility and lounging by the hotel pool is an experience in itself. You could not ask for a more spectacular view and every 15 minutes a waiter is by your side offering you an on-the-house treat: chilled lemon-scented towels, tropical fruit ices, and my favorite, the homemade creamy coconut popsicles.

The staff members (all of them) go out of their way to be friendly and accomodating. Anything you need, just ask and they make it happen! The grounds are beautiful--every time you step out of your room you practically run into at least 3 or 4 gardeners who are manicuring the flowerbeds and lawns, which are impeccable, and you can see why given the effort of the staff.

In short, we will be coming back here every year, and hopefully bring our kids when they are older and no longer going to camp( they are teenagers now, and have no interest in lounging like we do). I do see a number of children here though, but they are young and I would assume that they are staying in one of the homes or time-shares here. I much prefer the hotel side though! I predict that our boys will enjoy the incredible golf and fishing here--once they are old enough too appreciate it.

I highly recommend this place --you will not want to leave!

Room Tip: Ask for a casita facing the ocean, and I would want to stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great review on Trip Advisor! I am thrilled to hear such wonderful feedback from our biggest Esperanza fans! Our team enjoys greeting you by your name and welcoming you back home on each visit.

We definitely look forward to offering many more relaxing getaways for you both and would love to have your whole family here as well in the not too distant future.

Muchas gracias from the entire Esperanza team!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I spent five nights at Esperanza and can only say it is well worth the money. You are treated with friendly helpful staff from the time they pick you up at the airport to when you leave the property at the end of your stay. Upon arriving we were given a tour of the property and then taken to our room which is spacious with huge sliding glass doors that open to the ocean. We utilized a package deal (10 year package (free night, breakfasts every day, bottle of champagne) and at the room they had the bottle plus ceviche to nibble on in our patio. They also came by for a free 15 minute neck/back massage. Later we tried the tequila tasting and found Christian to be very knowledgeable and helpful in understanding the different types. We spent most of our time at the hotel pool although we spent one day at the adjoining fractional ownership pool with the swim up bar. We enjoyed the privacy more at the hotel pool which included free neck massages, and hourly treats (frozen fruit slushes, etc.). We tried the main restauarant for dinner and had a spectacular view of the ocean. Food is served in 3 or 4 courses ($55 to $65) and we had 4 which was more than enough. If only the cost of wines was more reasonable as it was hard to find anyting under $100. Spent an afternoon at the spa and although pricey after including the automatic tip, was one of the best spas I've every been to. It is small, modern and both the facial person and masseuse did a wonderful job in ensuring I was confortable and relaxed. I ended the day by taking a shower in the outdoor shower!
All in all, if you need a quiet getaway to a resort that has all the amenities for you to relax and take in the beautiful view, this place is worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed a memorable visit. We are celebrating our 10th year anniversary here at Esperanza, an Auberge Resort and I am delighted that you were able to enjoy our special celebration 10 year package! I have shared your wonderful feedback with my entire team. We hope you and your wife will return to your “home away from home” for another relaxing getaway very soon!

Warm Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The property is gorgeous: gardens, sculptures, views--the pool overlooks the sea. The food is excellent. There is absolutely no need to leave the property, it's a far cry from the party going tourists that flock to Cabo. It's very private and quiet, you really can just unwind here. Each room is it's own private casita. It's excellent spot for a couple to get away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JenniferSooKim
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your great comments! We always love receiving wonderful feedback from our guests. Our staff work very hard to ensure a relaxed, quiet atmosphere here at Esperanza, an Auberge Resort and I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

Warm Regards,
Northern California
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Although it was a short trip, it was amazing! The property is split into two sections, the hotel side where children under 16 are not allowed and the villas on the other side where children are welcome. Stayed in the "hotel" side. Not sure why children aren't allowed...the room was large enough and there was a large lounge inside the room that a child or two could sleep on in addition to the comfy king bed. I think it's a huge bummer the way they limit the hotel side to children over 16. I am a single mom to two children 9/10 years old. For us to stay at the resort, we would need to rent a huge villa which is easily in excess of $750/night. It's more space than we need and a HUGE price increase over the "hotel" prices they offer. I suppose that is my largest complaint.

Totally enjoyed the cilantro margarita upon arrival and the custom made margaritas the the room when we got there. Food was good...breakfast included in the room rate. Drinks good...costly, but such is the pricing at a resort of this caliber. Loved the assortment of swimming pools to choose from. No music playing at any of the pools...okay, I suppose. Other guests all seemed nice. Staff were all great!

Word to the billing process...I booked online and got a AAA rate. When I received a call from central booking in Southern CA, I was told I was being upgraded to a spa casita for no charge. After that call, I received an email confirmation from the guy that called me from So Cal. My rate totally went up from what I originally booked. I was shocked! I left early for my trip before I could hear back from the guy in LA. Upon reaching the resort, I mentioned it to our personal concierge. He promised to look into it. I never heard back from him and had to search out someone at the check in area. They looked into it and let me know there was a mistake and that I would be credited $160. Okay. Fine with me. The day I checked out, I inquired about the credit...the credit was now $130...uhm...how did that happen? Not sure how that $30 dropped off my original credit. Wasn't going to raise h*ll over it...$30 is not going to break my bank...but perplexed by the whole ordeal. Was given a heads up by friends staying there to check my hotel bill with a fine tooth comb...they had issues on previous trips to the resort.

Will return..with my fine tooth comb.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask questions about what you are booking and confirm in WRITING your nightly rate. Spa c...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank maromatic
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us such a thorough review. It is feedback like yours that helps us constantly grow and improve our guest service.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our signature welcome drink, “Cilantro Margarita” as well as our food and beverages.

Here at Esperanza we try very hard to please all of our guests and meet their needs. That is why we have a section for adults only and an area for adults travelling with children and families together, to offer a personalized experience and cater to each guest's needs.

Our deepest apologies regarding the confusion on your billing of your room rate.

Once again, thank you for sending us your feedback. We hope you will return again soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This hotel is truly top notch. The pool area is amazing. The cabanas by the beach have little beds in them so you can lie down in pure comfort while staring out at the ocean. The staff is friendly, and the food is good. This place is as close to perfection as you can get.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Drew M
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for your great comments! I have shared your feedback with my team and we are delighted that you found Esperanza to be top notch and close to perfect! We trust you will return soon for another amazing getaway.

north carolina
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Last day of a 5 night getaway pre birthday celebration with my wife.
This is a great resort -- it's greatest strength lies with the extremely competent and very friendly staff across the board!!! I cannot say enough about the level of service here. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable.
Having stayed at several Relais and Chateau places before -- i can understand their inclusion in this exhalted ranking.
Now for some constructive criticism-----
Our first night dinner was lacing in flavours and umami considering the price for the meal ( $200 a couple ) . The resort offers comlimentary water at the pool and in the rooms too. I found it in poor taste the we were charged $6 per person for water at both the meals we had at the restaurants here. For an establishment of this class , it leaves an unpleasant taste of "nickel and diming". There is no other choice for water given and to add $12 per couple to an already high food and liquor bill defies logic. The welcome margarita is wonderful and yet the $12 regular margarita is just that --- over inflated in price and simply mediocre! I have no problems paying for a really well made fresh drink. We had a rental car so this did not apply to us BUT for those who do not rent one ,getting about is exhorbitant with respect to taxis. Some other contributors have suggested some kind of a shuttle service to downtown cabo and maybe san jose --- this would be a great service to clients at this place. Our rental car enabled us to enjoy beaches where we could swim ( the beach here is unswimmable ) and go to other very high quality restaurants ( hacienda y cochina, el farallon and casiano's in cabo san jose )
Let me finish on a positive note -- the mexican breakfast choices ( which is all we had ) and the mexican cuisine at the mexican fiesta night were simply superb. The freshly made fajitas were excellent , though the pre fried cold churros were a mini disaster in a spread of quality.
I hope my review will be taken constructively by Esperanza.
In conclusion, this is a high quality establishment that needs to address some not so major issues
Must add that we used thespa was a couples massage --- very pricey but worth the 90 min. massage we had with very competent therapists

1 Thank pilipili
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thank you so much for your thorough review. I am delighted that overall we were able to meet your expectations and that our entire team ensured a memorable pre-birthday celebration for you and your wife!

We certainly take your comments very seriously and appreciate your frankness and honesty. It is important for us to hear about improvement opportunities and your feedback has been extremely helpful. We are constantly seeking how to raise the bar with our service levels.

I have spoken with our Food & Beverage Director to ensure that these issues are addressed. In our restaurants we do offer complementary filtered iced water to our guests as well as a selection of bottled waters.

Regarding the taxi service, these are offered as an amenity and rates are set by the Taxi Unions in the State. A rental car is certainly a great option for those who enjoy visiting Cabo & San Jose, which our Concierge team is delighted to arrange.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your wife back soon.

Yours Sincerely,