“Unbelievable beauty and service”

Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 27 June 2008

Just returned from our 15th anniversary trip to Esperanza. It is every bit as lovely and wonderful as it looks in all the pictures. The room was amazing...incredible view...and the private infinity edge hot tub on the balcony was such an added luxury. The walls in the rooms slide open so you can sleep each night with the sounds/smells of the ocean crashing up onto the rocks and beach. The pools were lovely...the service was impecible. They are constantly bringing you fresh cold bottles of water, and there are ladies from the spa wandering around the pool giving foot or shoulder massages. Eating every meal in the restaurant that overlooks the ocean is breathtaking, and the breakfasts are really wonderful. We actually wished there would've been more traditional mexican selections on the menus...they have a lot of gourmet type specialities and not much else. A top recommendation is to get a massage in a cabana right on the beach. Unforgettable! Being at Esperanza is literally like stepping into the pages of a travel magazine. I highly recommend it for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank happycatMinnesota
Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed 8 June 2008

This is one of the most beautiful resorts i have been to no doubt. We stayed at the residence villas in the largest 4 bedroom with a private pool and spa which was amazing and luxurious.
The first day our luggage was brought to the room, my fiance and i decided to check out the resort. We locked up and were gone no more than thirty minutes. When we returned $100 cash was stolen from my wallet located in my purse in the closet in my room. Someone had let themselves in and gone through our things in that short of a time. Another person staying with us also had $40 stolen at that same time. From then on we decided to put all money and valuables in the two safes provided.
Over the course of the week several employees would knock on the door and if no one answered in time would use their key to let themselves in!
By the end of our stay one bottle of prescription drugs, $140 dollars cash, 20 pesos, one newly purchased bandana, and one bottle of mascara was taken from our room. My suggestion is to lock up everything even your suitcase i found mine to be rummaged through more than one (i guess the little padlocks are good for something). Other than the theft the Esparanza was one of the most lovely places i have ever been. It is unfortunate theft was such a problem.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
9  Thank Lglynx
Reviewed 9 May 2008

For our 25th wedding anniversary, we wanted the best in accommodations, beach, food, and a spa. We found it at the Esperanza Resort. You pay top dollar here, and it is worth every penny. The facilities are wonderful; the staff attentive, warm and friendly. The food is some of the best on the planet, and I live in San Francisco – hence I have high foodie bar.

Go, you'll love it. And do drink Tequila there!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 26 April 2008

My husband and I were married at the Esperanza in the summer of 2007. From the moment we arrived, the staff was warm and welcoming, even addressing us by name. Every day complimentary food and drinks were delivered to our room and they bent over backwards to fulfill every request. The property is beautiful and we could not have asked for a more idyllic setting for our wedding.

The service is excellent and we had the most amazing time at The Esperanza. We truly felt at home and look forward to visiting again soon!

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank CMSLosAngeles_CA
Reviewed 16 April 2008

We stayed at Esperanza for just wo nights over a year ago. It was beautiful, relaxing, and so easy to get to! If we lived on the west coast we would probably try to get there for a weekend every year or two.

Personally, I would probably not choose it for a longer vacation as I don't really enjoy spas and we are neither foodies nor drinkers. So there's not a heck of a lot for me to do. I would prefer a resort with a great beach. Esperanza has a dramatic beach, but they discourage you from swimming in it (rough and rocky). Cabo itself is not my style, so that doesn't offer me anything. But these are just personal preferences and in no way a criticism of the resort.

I don't think our room was one of the most desirable ones and it was still lovely. The bathroom was especially nice - so nice that I decided to take a bath, which I almost never do. The grounds are stunning and beautifully laid out. When you are on the resort grounds you feel as though you are in a more remote place. I enjoyed the meals but I'm not too picky.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank janedoe2008
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We spent nearly a week at Esperanza as part of a group of 25. Upon our return were quite shocked to see it rated the best resort in all of Latin and Central America. It was nice, but the best? Not by a long shot from our experience.
The layout of the hotel side is well done and from almost every room there are magnificent views of the ocean. This is not a place to stay for the old or handicapped as the resort has stairs everywhere. We found the room clean, well stocked and featured. The two best features were the sliding doors which opened up the whole front of the room to the view. The bathroom had a low tub height window that also opened wide allowing us to slip into the lovely hot tub. Once we settled in, we explored the hotel and residence sides with the later being far nicer and more relaxed. During our exploration we found that while the gardeners were eager to greet and smile, this was not true of the rest of the staff. Of the 31 employees we passed only two made eye contact and smiled.
Now some of the details we based our review upon. The pools were chilly to the point my wife would not go in. The beach was really a let down and is more of a backdrop than anything else. To the east and west or Esperanza hotels had lovely sand beaches, but this was rough, rocky and definity unswimable. The Beach is where the staff weaknesses first began to show. On the beach chairs I waited for 25 minutes for anyone to come down which at the staffing level advertised was way too long. The next day at the pool, an employee came over within the first few minute, but that was only to borrow my binoculars so he could see the whales. Didn't see him after that.
The restaurant and bar service was the most challenging. A simple rum punch order came back so wrong I took it to the bartender to ask if he received the order correctly. After pointing out that it was missing three ingredients he admitted he did not know how to make one. Breakfast is my favorite meal and Esperanza had such wierd menu items that it was hard to know what you would get. I asked for my bacon to be cooked softly and to illustrate I waved my napkin. "Soft" I said. It came as hard as a pencil, the second try was not much better. When I asked what the problem was cooking the bacon Juan told me that it's pre-cooked (like McDonalds). The manager came out, not with an aire of "how can I make this better?" but "how can I get out of this trouble?". The third time was lucky, but by then the rest of my party had finished their meals. I gave up ordering bacon. On another day, the eggs benedict's only similarity to eggs benedict was that it had eggs, my wife had to send it back after one bite.
From what we saw, the resort was 100% American, they need to cater to the American palats. The food was so foreign that even french toast was some bizare cake like square with a fruit paste on it. The menu did not change for our entire stay and was very very limited. This brings up the menu, a hamburger and glass of water cost $50. At $1,000 per night and $8.50 for a 1/2 litre bottle of water, we felt gouged not spoiled. Staff were extreamly young and inexperienced and it showed. It was frustrating to have to ask the same waiter five days in a row to bring mustard to the table. After that we just gave up and took to eating in town.
We thought that perhaps it was just us who had a poor experience at Esperanze, but on the flight home other couples from our large group shared similar experiences. My wife did enjoy the spa, but individually and as a group we were disappointed.
Overall, the resort is built on a rough promitory with lots of wind. The beach is dangerous, pools tepid, tennis courts 3/4 mile walk, resaurant too esoteric, staff poor but grounds lovely.
We cannot reccomend this resort.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
11  Thank Englishpiper
Reviewed 20 March 2008

We loved our stay. We stayed in the Private residence side. The pool was great. I did not like the pool on the hotel side. Did not like the food - very French and expensive. Too fancy for me - but I have plain taste! We took a cab into town every night for dinner (about $20 each way I think).

Everything was very nice and clean.

• Stayed: October 2005