“AMAZING Resort”

Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
“AMAZING Resort”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just got back from our 8th vacation at Esperanza. Its our absolute FAVORITE place to vacation. If I could give this resort 10 stars, I would. Everything is impeccable- from the amazing staff - a few standouts were Hiren, Sergio and Alfredo at the adult pool who went out of their way each and every day to make us feel like we were the only guests at the resort- Paula, who was our personal concierge and helped us with all our reservations, Jose and Veronika who served us at breakfast each morning with a smile on their face - to pretty much everyone who crossed our path during our stay. Our room (28) was fantastic and our favorite feature is the infiniti plunge pool on the balcony. We will come back again and again and again bc this place never disappoints!!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Tim H,

Thanks for sharing your enthusiastic comments! Our Team here considers you a part of our Esperanza Family and appreciates your kinds words of motivation and support. It is indeed a very special place and feel proud that it is your absolute favorite!

Tim, we look forward to having you back home again soon.

Marc Rodriguez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Danville, California
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Esperanza is a beautiful hotel perfect for a relaxing retreat or family vacation. They have wonderful amenities daily yoga, nice gym, hiking trails, wonderful spa and great food. They have several pools, some with swim up bars, some infinity pools, a quiet pool and a kiddie pool. Although it is located on the beach the ocean here is pretty rough so I would not recommend swimming. I did not travel with my children but I would return and bring them here, very kid friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rosanne925
Dear Rosanne925,

Thank you for sharing comments from your recent business trip to Esperanza, an Auberge Resort. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed our amenities throughout your stay and found your stay to be relaxing all over.

We look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Esperanza’s view is absolutely one of the finest beach/cliff 5 Start hotel views in Cabo (perched on a 50 foot cliff in some places). From the hotel pool the view is paradise. This is however, absolutely NOT a child friendly resort for anyone with a child under 8 years old (due to huge cliffside drops). The hotel boasted phenomenal service, friendly staff, very good food (huge California gluten free influence), not a swimmable beach but a beautiful one (but few are in Cabo), very nice rooms and amenities (gym included). Spa is nice but it is the most expensive spa I have ever been to in the world (even topping the Maldives, and loads of 5 stars in Asia). Huge downside is extremely limited dinner options - but great variety at lunch time. I would come back again as a couple but not as a family with young kids. Review broken down below.

This is the 3rd Cabo 5 Star hotel my husband and I have been lucky enough to stay in in Cabo. The others were the One & Only Palmilla and Las Ventanas al Paraiso. To say one resort is better than the other doesn’t work in this case because each one was a completely different experience.

Whilst I would recommend Esperanza a people looking for a very nice room, excellent service, and extremely tasty food (barring dinner - see below) - this resort suffers from one MAJOR problem which is its connectivity to the Auberge Esperanza Residences. For some reason, the Esperanza RESORT’s pool is gorgeously appointed - beautiful wooden deck chairs and palm trees… and then you go to the 2nd bigger pool which is shared with the Residences and hotel guests are allowed to use, the residence pool looks like a budget holiday pool. The Residence pool has metal, old school pool furniture and sunburnt beach bum floating guests around the pool in rafts they brought - many floating with their own beer coozies. I did not pay $1500 USD a night to see cheap pool furniture, and rafts and beer cozies from Kmart in the hotel’s pool. The RESIDENCE guests cannot use the HOTEL pool (thankfully) (which is adults only btw) but if you have a child and came to stay as a hotel guest, you would HAVE to use the RESIDENCE pools (there are 2) at the cliffside where are all of these people have timeshares. The Residence pool just drags Esperanza (a 5 star hotel) down to 3 stars with immediacy. Totally sad. We chose to stay around the hotel pool (adults only) which is absolutely gorgeous, but we do have 2 young children and had they been with us, I would have been irate and checked out. Not to mention that the Residence family pool is in close proximity to a cliff with an unforgiving 50 foot drop that would make your heart stop if your child was close to. New toddler, pushing boys - I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with kids near that cliff. NO RAILS or glass up at all. I was fully appreciative of the view, but as a mother I am always thinking of kid’s safety and this was perilous.

Food: Food and beverage quality here get a 5 out of 5 here for me. Breakfast was included in our nightly rate. Breakfast is la carte as you would expect. Lots of variety and all executed extremely well. Tons of choices for those looking to eat healthy green juices in the morning or refried beans with eggs and tortillas!

Lunch - I think there were 4 different restaurant options plus room service for lunch. No shortage of options. Mexican food was great (flour tortillas in particular). Food by the pool (ask for the Lounge Bar menu which is more extensive) was the best I have had poolside at any resort in the world. Burgers came hot with crisp french fries, salads freshly tossed, cold and crispy - aka it was fresh and served immediately. Again lots of healthy options which I appreciated - a standout menu item was the Chicken burger.

Dinner: Sadly this is where I felt Esperanza fell extremely short for us. there were only 2 restaurant choices once the sun went down. 1) Cocina del Mar, which is their high end, white table cloth, 3 or 4 course pre-set menu with an unbelievable view. Quick review on Cocina del Mar: Phenomenal and memorable view of the sea at night. Fine dining prices - dinner for 2 was about $200 USD without alcohol. We found appetizers hugely disappointing (surf and turf particularly unpleasant)… however the main course of local fish was fantastic. Dessert was good. I appreciate white table cloth, fine dining but I only wanted to eat there once during our four night stay.
The only other restaurant choice for dinner is at the Palapa restaurant which is in front of the Residences and shared by its’ guests. Each night of the week boasts a different theme - pre-set price tag averaging about 60 USD per head for food (plus another 30% in tax and gratuity) obviously not including any alcohol. You can either order the themed dinner (one night it is a dreadful buffet (need I say more?- and absolutely not in keeping with Auberge brand image in my opinion), or you can order from their a la carte Mexican menu which is the same menu that is at lunch.
So, it is either fine dining at Cocina del Mar or the themed Mexican restaurant or room service. Basically, choices are extremely limited and pricey (especially if you are more than a couple). I didn’t go to Esperanza thinking food was going to be inexpensive, so it is not the pricing that bothered me nearly as much as the lack of choices at dinnertime. Basically one night in each restaurant and we were bored…
We ordered room service one night, which was less than impressive. The presentation was nice and service was impressive as always, but the food was 3 star at best. This was really the only less than wonderful food we had in the resort.

Service: Absolutely couldn’t be faulted anywhere. The staff was friendly, honest, quick, and level of English was outstanding. I had several members of staff go out of their way and do extremely thoughtful things for me. The personal concierge assigned to us was extremely kind as well, and even arranged a little surprise for my husband’s birthday. The staff really did make this resort shine. They consistently remembered I was allergic to several food items and that was standout.

Pool & Facilities: We had a room with an outdoor jacuzzi and absolutely loved it. The room was beautifully appointed - very simple and modern. I liked the Auberge spa shampoo, body wash, etc. I admit, I thought both the rooms I had at One and Only (not their basic room, which was awful but the deluxe rooms) and Las Ventanas were more interestingly decorated, but that is just a matter of personal taste. The room was maintained very nicely and I understand it was refurbed last year. The bed was extremely comfortable. I really liked the little touches like leaving us the recipe of the day and the handmade rattan keyring holders, and the welcome macaroon cookies. Very nice touches that were much appreciated.

The grounds at the hotel are beautifully looked after and are really homey. Lots of palms, grass lawns and flowers which I loved. The One and Only also felt this way, whereas Las Ventanas is far more barren and desert feeling. This hotel still had the best view of the beach of any of them. Also, you could go down to the beach and sit in the surf, whereas at Las Ventanas you cannot and would not want to do that. At LV, there are people trying to sell things to you on the beach, whereas at Esperanza it is more private and secluded.

Spa, Gym and Classes: Classes were varied and outstanding. Make sure to reserve the classes you are interested in before you even arrive as they all book up (completely annoying), but they were kind enough to create an extra class for us one day. Pilates reformers are a bonus if you are into that but be aware you have to attend a class or do a private lesson to use a reformer.

The gym was outstandingly appointed - one of the best hotel gyms I have been to.

Spa - sorry to say nothing out of the ordinary, and ASTRONOMICALLY EXPENSIVE. My massage treatment was really phenomenal, but if you are asking me about facilities they are just normal resort spa facilities. I really liked the “waterbed” insert they have on the massage beds, so this was memorable. But unfortunately the price tag made me only use the spa once. My 90 minute massage was a whopping 321 USD. That is beyond expensive even in comparison to the regular massages I get at Four Seasons resorts. I wish their prices were more reasonable and I would have loved to have had further treatments.

Pick-up and Drop-off: Flawless and in a nicely appointed Cadillac Escalade.

I would absolutely return as a couple with my husband, but this is not a child friendly resort in my opinion. For child friendly 5 star in Cabo I would choose the O&O (haven’t been to Capella myself). But for a couple - food, service, pool, view and gym absolutely Esperanza gets my vote. Just avoid the Residence pools and be aware you probably need to go out to dinner once or twice during a 4 night stay if you like variety. Las Ventanas and Esperanza are both equally as amazing resorts for couples - they both have phenomenal service and food. Location and view are much better at Esperanza though. Rooms decor is more interesting at LV. Grounds are far more beautiful at Esperanza!

10 Thank Amestx101
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

From the moment we stepped out of our cab our experience at this hotel was absolutely magical. Karim, one of the head staff treated us so well, and we felt so special. Everything was top notch at this hotel. It is the most beautiful place we have ever been too. The property maximizes it's space and you get a beautiful view of the sea of cortez. Fitness classes awesome and spa. Will def return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear 370lmcbain370,

Thank you for sharing with us your magical experience while here at Esperanza! Karim as well as the rest of our team is always working hard to ensure our guests are happy and relaxed throughout their visit.
Thanks for mentioning our spa fitness program we launched a few years ago, which has been a huge success. We continue improving and tweaking to now include Pilates, TRX, and boot camp on the beach.

Thank you both again for visiting Esperanza and for sharing your great comments as well. I trust we’ll have the opportunity to host you again soon!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We visited Esperanza during busy season, March, but the experience was still top of the line. The room was comfortable, service was excellent and the food was GREAT!
Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendly and professional staff, they were on top of everything. Our room wasn't quite ready, but they showed us to the bar and gave us a drink on the house so our wait would be more relaxing!
We decided to do the Mexican Wine tasting, it was so much fun! We really learned a lot about different Mexican wines – everything from the history of the vineyards to the wine process and finally distribution. The event is limited to 15 people (I think) but we were the only 2, so it was basically a private event! They did a great job with the food and wine pairings, the entire event was such a pleasant surprise, and I’d definitely recommend it!
The views are to die for; the property really takes advantage of the beautiful surroundings. The room was very comfortable and we had a mini plunge pool/ hot tub on the patio. The bathroom featured a shower with dual heads, soaking tub and PLENTY of space! The bed was plush and comfortable. The AC worked great, but at night we liked to sleep with the patio doors open to take full advantage of the ocean breeze.
On a side note, the best way to enjoy Esperanza is to not look at the bill. Remember the old saying, ‘you get what you pay for’ – well that is true at Esperanza, you pay a lot but you get a lot.
We will definitely go back to Esperanza!

Room Tip: If you decide to do a massage on the beach, it can get a little awkward. They take you from the Spa...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Krista F
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Krista F,

Thanks so much for your lovely review about Esperanza from your March visit. Our team enjoyed reading your detailed review and was glad to hear that you felt relaxed and pampered throughout your time on property.

Krista, thank you again and look forward to your next visit with us!

Little Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have stayed in the Condominiums, the Villas and the Home at Esperanza! It is a wonderful experience regardless of which you choose to stay. The pools are beautiful at the Condominiums and the patio's are devine. Your family will love just living outside on the Patio. First floors have a pool and others have a jacuzzi with huge dining and grilling area. Views are amazing. The Villas are very nice also.. minus the view I think at least. The homes are amazing and almost directly on the beach. If you have the cash and want an amazing vacation… hit up Esperanza.. you will not be disappointed and town is not that far away. The marina in Los Cabo and restaurants are great… visit Cabo Wabo at night,it's fun and you can dance the night away.

Room Tip: They are all amazing!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Joaniej57,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Esperanza! We love hearing from such avid Esperanza fans and I’m glad that you and your family love visiting us again and again. Our villas are very enjoyable and I agree the views are amazing.

We look forward to having you all back again soon for another heavenly stay.

Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Esperanza was a fabulous experience from the second we drove down the long road to the entrance- It was breathtaking and the resort hosts were magnificent! The room and hot infiniti hot tub can't be beat!

1 Thank Kim K
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Kim K,

Thank you for sharing your enthusiastic review with a wider audience on Trip Advisor! We enjoyed learning how you both had a wonderful time here and we trust you will return again very soon.

Thanks again, Kim for your wonderful feedback. The Esperanza Team wishes you both a lovely summer!