“Loved Esperanza - Paradise”

Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Loved Esperanza - Paradise”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We stayed at Esperanza from 23-27Mar09. We were booked under the Paradise package, which included 20% off room rates, breakfast for two daily, and upgrade to Ocean View Casita. When we checked in they put us in a ground floor Casita, which was nice but being on the first floor did not offer much of a view of the ocean. We inquired about the upgrade and were told they would check to see if we could move into an upgrade room the next day. The next morning after breakfast we asked again about the upgrade and our concierge, Miguel, did arrange to move us to a second floor Casita. We hung out at the pool until the room was ready - about 1pm. It was a bit of a hassle to pack clothes and move but it was well worth it for the second floor ocean view.

We used Arturo of TransLobo for the airport pick-up and return. He was on time, accommodated our request to stop at a liquor store for wine, and provided a comfortable ride to the hotel. The return trip went off just as planned. Arturro charges $150 round trip and it was well worth the convenience and comfort to use this service. He is very polite, well spoken, and friendly. I highly recommend his service.

We ate at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast each morning. It includes the tower (fruit, pastries, cheese, and smoked salmon) and entree of choice plus coffee and juice. Each morning they have a small sample smoothie they serve after you're seated. It was a different variety each day and these were outstanding. They also had a different fresh juice each day (beyond the standard ones), like raspberry, plum/mint, etc. These were delicious. Breakfast entrees were okay, nothing special.

We ate most dinners at the hotel as we were so relaxed we didn't feel like leaving the property. Food is expensive here, but from what I've read from others who've visited Cabo, this is consistent across most restaurants. Our first night we ate at the outdoor restaurant by the pool. It's a great atmosphere with soft lighting, the flicker of flames from the fire pit, and ocean waves in the background. We ordered potato leek soup and tomato mozzarella salad to start. The soup bowl is brought to the table empty except for a small piece of lobster and some garnishes and then they pour the soup over this at the table. It was delicious. The salad was cherry tomatoes, different varieties/colors of heirloom tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. All were very fresh and delicious. We also ordered the scallop appetizer to share as our entree. It was a very small portion, with only two small scallops. They were also good. The wine list by the glass is very limited. I had a decent sauvignon blanc for about $10/glass.

The second night we ventured into Cabo San Lucas to Edith's Restaurant. I don't recommend this restaurant - it is definitely a tourist place and the food is very average. It has a lively atmosphere, including lots of large parties with kids. We both ordered fish - my date ordered the catch of the day, sea bass, grilled and served with a garlic & olive oil sauce. I ordered grilled fish with mango sauce and thought I was also getting the sea bass but instead received some other fish that had been broiled. I did ask our server about it and he said the menu doesn't say it's grilled, which is not true. He offered to bring me grilled fish and what he brought back was the same fish originally served to me that they had thrown on the grill for a few minutes to put some grill marks on it. Needless to say, by this point the fish was overcooked. My date's fish was much better. Wine list by the glass was also very limited here as well. Didn't think to get a margarita, which probably would have been a better choice. We did have a nice salad to start - this was the highlight of the entire meal. It was mixed greens with some fresh papaya and mango, garnished with fresh nasturium flowers. It came with a poppyseed vinaigrette. It was very good. Service was attentive, but the mix-up on my fish and the food quality being just average brought down my overall impression of Edith's. If visiting again, I would not go back here. One thing to note - the street in front of Edith's is closed and seems to be under construction - there's no pavement, just sand, and you have to walk through this to get to the restaurant. Kind of difficult in nice high-heeled sandals.

Another night we ordered room service. We were lazy after hanging out at the pool all day and didn't feel like going out for dinner. We wanted to have a nice meal on our balcony by candlelight. Room service food was not good at all. It's as though the food came from another kitchen, or maybe it is the travel time from the kitchen to the room that hurt the quality. We ordered the same tomato mozzarella salad and it had only cherry tomatoes (no nice heirloom varieties), some which tasted like they were not fully ripe. Not nearly as good as the one we had at the restaurant. We also ordered pasta with eggplant and roasted tomato sauce and instead they brought us fettucine noodles with some chucks of stewed tomatoes. No eggplant. It clearly seemed to be a different pasta from the menu. Not sure what hapened because the room service attendant restated our order back to me on the phone correctly. We did not bother to send it back. The pasta was nearly cold by the time we got it and did not have much sauce. We also ordered coffee and mango sorbet for dessert. The sorbets here are house made and delicious. This was the highlight of our room service meal.

The pool area is beautiful. We went to the hotel pool, which is adults only. No problem getting lounge chairs. Service was attentive - when you arrive at the pool the attendant asks you where you want to sit and covers the lounge chair with a towl and provides a neck pillow. He then brings you an ice bucket with several chilled waters. This was the routine each day and service was consistent. Everyone at the pool pretty much kept to themselves and it was quiet and relaxing. The beach area just below the pool is ok; the sand is very course and contains small rocks - not something you want to go barefoot on. There were some big rock formations in the shallow part of the water and we noticed a lot of crabs nestled among the rocks. Fun to see.

We did not use the spa while there. The prices were probably triple what I pay at home and felt relaxed enough without using the services. On two occasions there were spa staff at the pool offering complimentary foot massage and neck/shoulder massage. I took advantage of both and they were very enjoyable. Staff seem to be well trained.

Overall, our entire trip was extremely relaxing, service was excellent at Esperanza, the dinners in the restaurant were very good, and our room was very clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cat_lover_KC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My husband and I were just reminiscing about our perfect stay at the Esperanza in Los Cabos when it occurred to us, we never wrote our review! How could we forget to applaud and thank the wonderful ladies and gentlemen of the Esperanza?
We started our stay in Los Cabos at another 5-star property down the corridor, wanting to check out more then just one place in our 11 days. We thought the first property was fantastic, but the Esperanza has spoiled us for life!
We began by calling Raphael, our Concierge, to arrange transportation. Due to the taxi regulations, the complimentary car service Esperanza provides from the airport cannot pick you up from another resort. No worries! Raphael arranged for a taxi to bring us. What a surprise when we arrived and Raphael was waiting for us on the front drive ready to pay the driver! Raphael explained that the resort had been fully committed the night before and our room would not be ready until actual check-in time, 3:00 p.m. He escorted us directly to the Palapa bar and ordered us a margarita and a Corona and bade us to relax on the patio while we waited for our room. Clean and well-appointed locker facilities were also available if we wanted to change into our swimsuits.
At precisely 3:00 p.m., Raphael reappeared to escort us to our Casita. The room was exactly what you would want for a romantic get-away- plenty of space so you're not running into each other but cozy. A beautiful bathtub had been prepared with floating rose petals and candles and a welcome basket with fruit, water, and sparkling wine waited on the table.
I could write for hours about the perfect service, the amazing food, and the unbelievable grounds. Then it would take another hour to explain the loveliness of the Spa. Suffice it to say, every employee we encountered was First Class. Every interaction was engaging, every request honored instantly, every preference remembered for the next day. If I could build a dream resort, I would start by poaching this staff!
If you have the chance to experience their "Mexicanismo" or "Carnavalisimo", don't miss them. Fun (but not too kitschy) and conversely romantic, the food and entertainment are still topics of conversation 6 months later. Our dinner at El Restaurant was also delectable and romantic.
If you are lucky enough to have Raphael assigned to you as your Concierge, thank your lucky stars. (Although I'm sure they are all fantastic) Also, make sure you meet Edwin at the pool. He always seemed to sense right when you needed something and was there with a magazine, a popsicle, a foot massage- whatever you can think of, he can deliver!
Again, thank you to every lady and gentleman of the Esperanza for creating a wonderful honeymoon and a lifetime of memories!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
MN
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Esperanza exceeded our expectations!  I spent a week their with family and we had an incredible time!  The grounds, the rooms, the amenities, the service and the food were all exceptional.  I don't know where the people stayed who gave poor reviews of the service or the food- they could not possibly have been at Esperanza.  I have two slightly negative complaints. The first is that the dinner at the main restaurant, while delicious, has very small portions and high prices. The only other thing is that Esperanza is not within walking distance of anything, so you must have transportation if you want to go anywhere. However, it is hard to want to leave the grounds- everything is spectacular!

We did go to Mexicanisimo night -the food was incredible and it was fun. We did not go on any of the excursions, but plan to next time (snorkeling or dinner cruise, etc). This is a very relaxing and very romantic place. One of the charms of the place is that it is quiet, there are not many people/rooms and you can have a lot of privacy. It is not for the thrifty traveler but is well appointed and a wonderful place to experience.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank thebigdogj
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We stayed at the Esperanza for four nights in January 2009. What a great experience. We both absolutely loved it -- our room was beautifully appointed and we loved our private hot tub overlooking the pool and the Sea of Cortez. The bed was stunningly comfortable. The bathroom was oversized and when we first arrived, the bath was filled with warm water and rose petals -- a lovely touch. We loved the amenities -- in fact when I got home I ordered the Baja Lime shampoo and conditioner to be delivered for my husband's upcoming birthday (he loved it that much). I wish I had purchased a robe.

The various pools dotted around the property were great -- if one was too busy, we'd just move to another one. Service was attentive -- great margaritas. If you're a big beach person, the Esperanza might not be your first choice -- the waterfront is very rocky and not conducive to swimming. However, we were fine with that and contented ourselves with hanging around the pools and poking around the many rock pools -- a relaxing way to spend an hour or two.

The spa. What can I say? It lived up to its reputation. I had a facial and a massage and both were fanastic. One thing I really loved about the spa was that it was so restful on the eyes -- everything you looked at was beautiful and tastefully done. Kudos to the architect and landscape architect.

The hotel was also very helpful when we wanted to go horseback riding. Our personal concierge arranged a fabulous two hour ride for us and put the bill on our hotel tab (we didn't have enough cash with us to pay for it).

The staff -- friendly, attentive and kind -- but not obsequious. We felt like they were truly glad we were there.

My only little quibble would be with the meal we had one night in the main restaurant. It was okay but nothing special.

But everything else -- perfection. Especially the service.

The Esperanza is not a "woo hoo party" place. But if you're planning a vacation there, you already know that. It's a spot to relax, unwind and take a deep breath. If you want a party, visit Cabo Wabo!

In the past 12 months I've stayed at the Four Seasons Costa Rica (which I loved) and the Four Seasons Nevis (which I decidedly did not). The Esperanza wins hands-down for its service, elegance, and comfort. I would go back in a flash.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leslie F
NJ
Reviewed 2 March 2009

TOTAL RELAXATION! The hotel rooms, grounds and staff created the most relaxing atmosphere imaginable! Excellent food, excellent views, impecable service, luxury at its best!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Just returned from 3 night visit. Stayed there 5 months ago. Whale watching from the pool and resort grounds was simply spectacular. The service here is superb. I disagree with a recent review about food, it is exceptional. This is the most romatic resort, with best setting in Cabo, including Las Ventannas. Stayed there twice and I have no criticism (other than they allow kids), but the rock formations and exclusive beach of Esperanza, not to mention the small room count and great spa, make this simply number one in Cabo. There are many cheaper options in Cabo no doubt, and if your goal is to save money, choose one of the many "deals", but be prepared to get what you pay for. If you don't mind spending more to get more, Esperanza will not disappoint you.

Enjoy.

• Liked — Setting and service
  • Disliked — Seeing it in the rear view mirror on the way to the airport
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank NolanAwb
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Just a quick head's up...the grounds and the hotel are great. Fantastic spa. However, we were there five days and not once did we have a good meal. Our first two dinners were horrible. As a result, we chose other options for the rest of our stay.

Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Esperanza - An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!