“Absolute perfect honeymoon spot!”

Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Orange County, CA
“Absolute perfect honeymoon spot!”
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and could not have been more pleased with it! Upon arrival, there was no check-in, but we were immediately shown to our casita by our fantastic concierge, Narciso. We loved the welcome margaritas that were prepared in our room, along with chips, salsa, and guacamole, then an hour later we also received celebratory champagne! Our casita was so cute, and we especially loved the big dual shower and the jacuzzi on our balcony. The grounds were just gorgeous, and we loved the adults-only infinity pools and spa.

I loved having our own private concierge. Our excursions and dinner reservations were handled by Narciso, and he was kind enough to take several pictures for us as well. He was available at the drop of a hat, and really took care of us.

Something that is not really that big a deal but just a nice change- they do not charge for the waters and sodas in the mini-bar. Bottled water is also complimentary by the pool. You don't even have to ask for it. After getting nickel-and-dimed at other upscale Cabo resorts, this was such a breath of fresh air.

After spending a wonderful 5 days with family and friends at our wedding, this was the perfect place to just relax and take it all in.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank p-nut0808

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Dallas
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We went to Esperanza to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I spent a lot of time researching which luxury hotel to stay in and I was thrilled we ended up where we did. I would never stay anywhere else in Cabo after this trip. The room was wonderful, the grounds were breathtaking and the food was fabulous. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the resort and the service....

I am not sure I have much to offer in terms of "new" information from what other posters have said, so let me just give you all a few little tidbits we learned throughout our stay. First, even if it is not on the menu, if they have it, they will make it for you. Every day by the pool, my husband and I would order chicken quesadillas or guacamole and chips to share (both outstanding) and neither of these were on the menu. However, they were happy to oblige and it was the perfect snack to get us between our leisurely breakfast and dinner.

Also, we had the free breakfast with our package. My goodness, this was amazing! You could pretty much order whatever you wanted on the menu and there was no charge whatsoever. We would start with a pastry basket and then order 2 breakfast entrees and a side of berries and.... no charge. It was exceptional and, again, they would pretty much make you whatever you want -- one day I was just craving chocolate chip pancakes and they were happy to just make them even though they were not on the menu. We always left a nice tip because I was so blown away by how awesome this was.

The only "downside" of our trip (if you could even call it was that) was just my general feeling about Cabo. Since you cannot play in the water by the beach, it just makes for a long day just sitting by the pool. We spent our honeymoon in Turks & Caicos (Seven Stars Resort) and I liked that we could spend half our day at the pool and half at the beach. This trip, I got a little tired sitting by the pool all day. But, of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with the amazing resort.

As for restaurants, we loved Mi Casa he most and Edith's. FYI -- The Office is the EXACT same restaurant as Edith's so there is no point of hitting both. I wish someone had told me that... Mi Casa was a little more casual and "fun," so definitely check that out :)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liebchen
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband and I got married and then honeymooned here after reading all the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Yes, the grounds are beautiful and the service was good, but THEY HAVE TRIED TO STEAL NEARLY $10,000 from us. When we got the bill the night before checkout,, they had included hundreds of dollars worth of items that were supposed to be included in our package (perhaps hoping we wouldn't notice). Additionally, they tried charging us $100 more PER NIGHT than our contract stated and wouldn't reduce the charges even after we showed them IN WRITING our confirmation with the promised room rate. To top things off, when when we added up the checkout bill, even with all the charges that should not have been there, it didn't add up, and shocker, they had overcharged by several hundreds of dollars there, too. The REAL KICKER is that as soon as we got home my husband disputed the charges on his credit card, and the Esperanza then decided to charge his card AGAIN for $7,000! I would never stay here ever again and hope that anyone who does stay here will check their bill with a fine tooth comb and then check your credit card bill when you get home.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
15 Thank MrsGE
BajaSantaMonica, Reservations Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2009
On April 14, 2009 this guest booked reservations with a honeymoon package . He later elected to have his wedding at
resort and was presented a contract which stated all of the charges this guest is complaining about that he agreed to
and signed. After sometime, the guest extended his stay which resulted in additional nightly room charges. Our entire
staff went to great extremes to make this wedding/honeymoon a very special event. We continually, through verbal explanations and written correspondence, confirmed all the details with him regarding the charges before he arrived for his wedding and honeymoon. When he returned, through his credit card company, he disputed the charges . We responded to the dispute showing the amounts he had agreed to and the charges that the Resort charged him based on his stay and incidentals, F & B etc and the amounts were correct. There was, in fact, no difference between what was expensed and what was charged to this guest. The credit card company has declined the dispute.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I feel bad for not having reviewed this resort before so just wanted to briefly do so now. I concur with previous reviewers who adore this resort. Our service was good, the rooms were lovely, the food was outstanding. We still talk about breakfast! The fitness facilities were good and property is beautiful and well-maintained. I love the sculptures throughout. We had some technical (a/c, etc..) with our rooms but management worked quickly to fix everything. We preferred this hotel to Palmilla for a more low-key, relaxing and more personal experience. This would be a great hotel for honeymooners or a special occasion. You must eat at La Fonda and Ventanas (main restaurant) if you venture outside Esperanza but you can be happy just staying on property too.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fingirl
texas
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at Esperanza celebrating 15 years of marriage. We had an awesome time! The room was beautiful, the grounds were immaculate, the food was incredible and the staff was very attentive! We have no complaints. We will definitely be returning as soon as we can.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This trip was major for us - we stayed at Esperanza five years ago on our honeymoon and this was our 5-year anniversary present to ourselves, plus it was the first time we've left our two-year old son for this long. We had great memories and very high expectations and Esperanza exceeded them all. We loved the pool, the room, the restaurant, the gym, the spa, the cocktails - everything! The staff made us feel extremely special with loads of amenities. The only issue we had was quickly and gracefully resolved (we were unhappy with the first room we were shown - ground floor with a garden view - and our disappointment was quickly abated as we were assigned a new room). We can't wait to return to Esperanza again. It's funny to say this about a luxury hotel, but at a time when everyone is contemplating value, we think Esperanza is totally worth it!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JRD&KD
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We stayed at Esperanza from 23-27Mar09. We were booked under the Paradise package, which included 20% off room rates, breakfast for two daily, and upgrade to Ocean View Casita. When we checked in they put us in a ground floor Casita, which was nice but being on the first floor did not offer much of a view of the ocean. We inquired about the upgrade and were told they would check to see if we could move into an upgrade room the next day. The next morning after breakfast we asked again about the upgrade and our concierge, Miguel, did arrange to move us to a second floor Casita. We hung out at the pool until the room was ready - about 1pm. It was a bit of a hassle to pack clothes and move but it was well worth it for the second floor ocean view.

We used Arturo of TransLobo for the airport pick-up and return. He was on time, accommodated our request to stop at a liquor store for wine, and provided a comfortable ride to the hotel. The return trip went off just as planned. Arturro charges $150 round trip and it was well worth the convenience and comfort to use this service. He is very polite, well spoken, and friendly. I highly recommend his service.

We ate at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast each morning. It includes the tower (fruit, pastries, cheese, and smoked salmon) and entree of choice plus coffee and juice. Each morning they have a small sample smoothie they serve after you're seated. It was a different variety each day and these were outstanding. They also had a different fresh juice each day (beyond the standard ones), like raspberry, plum/mint, etc. These were delicious. Breakfast entrees were okay, nothing special.

We ate most dinners at the hotel as we were so relaxed we didn't feel like leaving the property. Food is expensive here, but from what I've read from others who've visited Cabo, this is consistent across most restaurants. Our first night we ate at the outdoor restaurant by the pool. It's a great atmosphere with soft lighting, the flicker of flames from the fire pit, and ocean waves in the background. We ordered potato leek soup and tomato mozzarella salad to start. The soup bowl is brought to the table empty except for a small piece of lobster and some garnishes and then they pour the soup over this at the table. It was delicious. The salad was cherry tomatoes, different varieties/colors of heirloom tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. All were very fresh and delicious. We also ordered the scallop appetizer to share as our entree. It was a very small portion, with only two small scallops. They were also good. The wine list by the glass is very limited. I had a decent sauvignon blanc for about $10/glass.

The second night we ventured into Cabo San Lucas to Edith's Restaurant. I don't recommend this restaurant - it is definitely a tourist place and the food is very average. It has a lively atmosphere, including lots of large parties with kids. We both ordered fish - my date ordered the catch of the day, sea bass, grilled and served with a garlic & olive oil sauce. I ordered grilled fish with mango sauce and thought I was also getting the sea bass but instead received some other fish that had been broiled. I did ask our server about it and he said the menu doesn't say it's grilled, which is not true. He offered to bring me grilled fish and what he brought back was the same fish originally served to me that they had thrown on the grill for a few minutes to put some grill marks on it. Needless to say, by this point the fish was overcooked. My date's fish was much better. Wine list by the glass was also very limited here as well. Didn't think to get a margarita, which probably would have been a better choice. We did have a nice salad to start - this was the highlight of the entire meal. It was mixed greens with some fresh papaya and mango, garnished with fresh nasturium flowers. It came with a poppyseed vinaigrette. It was very good. Service was attentive, but the mix-up on my fish and the food quality being just average brought down my overall impression of Edith's. If visiting again, I would not go back here. One thing to note - the street in front of Edith's is closed and seems to be under construction - there's no pavement, just sand, and you have to walk through this to get to the restaurant. Kind of difficult in nice high-heeled sandals.

Another night we ordered room service. We were lazy after hanging out at the pool all day and didn't feel like going out for dinner. We wanted to have a nice meal on our balcony by candlelight. Room service food was not good at all. It's as though the food came from another kitchen, or maybe it is the travel time from the kitchen to the room that hurt the quality. We ordered the same tomato mozzarella salad and it had only cherry tomatoes (no nice heirloom varieties), some which tasted like they were not fully ripe. Not nearly as good as the one we had at the restaurant. We also ordered pasta with eggplant and roasted tomato sauce and instead they brought us fettucine noodles with some chucks of stewed tomatoes. No eggplant. It clearly seemed to be a different pasta from the menu. Not sure what hapened because the room service attendant restated our order back to me on the phone correctly. We did not bother to send it back. The pasta was nearly cold by the time we got it and did not have much sauce. We also ordered coffee and mango sorbet for dessert. The sorbets here are house made and delicious. This was the highlight of our room service meal.

The pool area is beautiful. We went to the hotel pool, which is adults only. No problem getting lounge chairs. Service was attentive - when you arrive at the pool the attendant asks you where you want to sit and covers the lounge chair with a towl and provides a neck pillow. He then brings you an ice bucket with several chilled waters. This was the routine each day and service was consistent. Everyone at the pool pretty much kept to themselves and it was quiet and relaxing. The beach area just below the pool is ok; the sand is very course and contains small rocks - not something you want to go barefoot on. There were some big rock formations in the shallow part of the water and we noticed a lot of crabs nestled among the rocks. Fun to see.

We did not use the spa while there. The prices were probably triple what I pay at home and felt relaxed enough without using the services. On two occasions there were spa staff at the pool offering complimentary foot massage and neck/shoulder massage. I took advantage of both and they were very enjoyable. Staff seem to be well trained.

Overall, our entire trip was extremely relaxing, service was excellent at Esperanza, the dinners in the restaurant were very good, and our room was very clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Esperanza - An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!