“Nice, convenient, great parking attendants and Servers at Baja cantina and brewery.”

Cabo Villas Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Okay first of all, thank goodness my husband worked with a concierge before we got there--I don't know what we would have done had we gotten a first floor below pool level room. We had a great room for our exchange--we own at the grand Mayan in San Jose, but wanted to see a little more action and this was perfect as there were no cruise ships all week! Room was nice above adult pool, nice bay view with arch. Beach was great good loungers know now to get lounges further back--allows you to move with the sun easier. Venders were polite and not pushy. Okay to the bad part--timeshare sales presentation was described as a place for us to get an update on new exchange benefits----tried high pressure and after about the tenth no no no no my husband said our time was up and we left. We used the coupons for cantina and brewery where we brought our son and girlfriend for dinner on Friday. This resort is not easy for older folks--way way too many steps to and from beach. Adult pool is heated and in the sun all day. Hot tub was nice on very nice balcony. A few misqitos.

Room Tip: Check with concierge before coming and several times to make sure you get water view. You do not ne...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed here from Dec. 29/12-January05/13. Although the unit was very nice, the location excellent (right at Medano Beach where you can swim) and the staff very friendly, I would not recommend this resort for many reasons.
1. There are 2 large pools but both end up in the shade by about 12:30. This would fine in the heat of the summer months but not during the winter months. The so called infinity pool looks out into the balconies and concrete wall of one of the buildings not making for a nice view at all. The adults only “pool” is in the sun all day but is little more than a place to get wet i.e. very, very small and narrow. The adult aspect also isn’t enforced. There were small children and babies around this area most of the afternoon.
2. The beach is jam packed with all the loungers not more than a couple of inches apart making it impossible to position them to face the sun. The smell of gasoline from all the motorized watercraft is overwhelming. There are restaurants and bars on the property and on both sides, with loud music blaring all day, whistles blowing, and loud yelling into microphones. It is anything but relaxing. If one wants a party atmosphere this is the place to be.
3. Be very sure you know exactly where your unit is located because several of them are below ground, so to speak. You walk out onto the patio and you are looking at a concrete wall, well below ground level. Some are covered with a canopy making it even worse.
4. There is a nice bar/restaurant on the roof but when they have a live band, you can hear it in all units in that building.

Room Tip: Be very sure you know exactly where your unit is located because several of them are below ground, s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GoGetter0719
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I cannot tell you how perfect the location of this hotel was. It is on Medano Beach, which is the only swimable beach in Cabo, and very close to nightlife, and emerald green water. If you look at my other reviews, you know I am not prone to gushing.. but here I go:
Stayed in the beachfront executive king with hot tub on the balcony. Oh. My. God. I dont care how much this room costs you..its worth it. We were there with friends who own in the timeshare portion so Idk exactly how much it is ( I think around 400$ a night? Which is a lot I know, but you cannot beat the room). The sunrises and moonrises alone were the biggest I had ever seen. The food at the resort was amazing, you can party next door at the Mango Deck or The Office, or head to the other side of you to The Hacienda for a romantic quite dinner ( highly recommend the Churros for dessert ). This place was nicer than my honeymoon! The spa was worth mentioning as well, however I did have some " confusion " as to the length of my facial (asked for a 50 min, they ended up doing an 80min and charged me for it.. I was a little more than pissed about being on the hook for an extra $50, but it WAS a really great facial, so I paid it and left it alone).
The other resorts in Cabo are OUT OF TOWN.. I mean you will have to get a cab everytime you want to do anything and you cant swim at thier beaches ( riptides and undertow ). We watched whales from our balcony every morning with our coffee for gods sake.
Ok. Love this place. Enough said. Have to go now.. trying to rebook for next year.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a room on the beach, the sliding doorwalls open up the whole room to the oce...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy C
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The room we had at Cabo Villas was probably the worst view you could possibly get at a resort in Cabo San Lucas (attached is a photo of the view). We booked in July 2012 for a one bedroom in February 2013.
We immediately told them how disappointed we were with the view.
Cabo Villas said they would try to move us to a room with a view.
They never did move us to another room.
They said all the rooms were taken.
At check out time I overheard two different couples saying they had been moved to 2 not 1 different rooms.
Obviously Cabo Villas was lying to me about not having other rooms.
If you would like to get a room with which is very likely the worst view at a resort in Cabo, Cabo Villas is the place to go.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Cabo Villas offers one of the best locations in Cabo San Lucas on Medano Beach. Private beach area to keep vendors away, which there are many on the beach. The food at the resturants was very good from the Baja Cantina Beach Club to the Brewery up at the top of the property. There are great views from all areas of the property. The check in process was a bit of a hassle with a room in a poor location was offered and had to wait over an hour to get a decent room with a good view. Other than that. the staff was very friendly and helpful. They also made up for the check in hassle with a nice gift. Right next to the property, are two grwat resturants. Edith's and The Office. Great food and atmosphere, especially evenings. Walking distance from downtown and short taxi to Walmart for supplies. I would stay a Cabo Villas again when visiting Cabo San Lucas.Trip was Nov.2011

Room Tip: Upper floor for better view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lance D
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We recently stayed at the Cabo Villas Beach Resort. Our daily routine included substantial time on the beach enjoying the ocean front setting. The Baja Cantina provides food and beverage service for the guests. We particularly appreciated the service provided by Victor Juarez and his colleague Miguel. We have stayed at Cabo Villas for several years now, and we have particularly appreciated being greeted by Victor and Miguel who are service professionals. Thank you both, your cordial friendly and attentive service was a real compliment to our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Austin N
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at Cabo Villas from Saturday, January 26th to February 23rd, 2013 and had an overall good vacation. Having read multiple reviews here at TA we were leery about our room location - four weeks is a long time to be stuck in a bad room, and we don't like having to move once we're settled. We used RCI to book our reservations and had the reservation person make a note about our wishes to be passed on to the resort: 3rd floor or higher; ocean view; quiet location; and not wanting to move.

Later, I had the reservation person connect me to the resort and I had the folks at the resort make a note on my reservation stipulating these wishes also. RCI will do this for you, as international calls are expensive, but only one time. If you get an agent unfamiliar with this practice just call back and get another agent to help you. Note: the reservation must be completed and the resort given a couple of weeks to get the reservation via RCI before they even know that you exist. We made our reservations in November 2012 and I spoke with them about this in December. The resort took my notes and I exchanged a few emails with the concierge in the month before our arrival during which I emphasized our desires. We were told that if we attended the resort timeshare presentation she would do all she could to meet our requests.

It should be noted that, to our knowledge, only the oldest building, the one next to the older pool and under Baja Brewery, is available to RCI exchangers. The units in this building are numbered 101 – 106, 201 – 206, etc. There is also a building adjacent with rooms in the 107 and up range which we never really explored and can’t really comment on. The building we were in is a six floor building with five one bedroom units plus a studio lock-off connected to the “05” units closest the ocean. It seems like RCI is limited to the “01” through the “04” units.

Upon arrival it was obvious that the first floor was highly undesirable and has earned the moniker “the dungeon”, as it is below the grade of the pool. They attempt to lessen the impact of folks looking down into your unit by erecting a tent on the lanai. The second floor rooms are at pool level.

We were assigned room 204, and after seeing the room and watching people walk by and watch us, we requested that we be moved. After a bit of back and forth we ended up moving the following day to unit 404 where we were for the duration of our stay. We ended up not unpacking until Sunday afternoon. We had a view of the palm trees and the hills in the distance from inside the unit and could see the water and Land’s End amply from the deck. The room was older but had been redecorated and was neat and very well kept. A kitchenette with a fridge, two burner electric cook top and a microwave and a modestly appointed set of utensils were in the main room with a dining and living space. A king bed set on a concrete platform with a small closet and drawered cabinets were in the bedroom and the two-sink bath was next to the front door down the hall.

On Sunday we went to the presentation and it was very low pressure. For our time we got a spa certificate for $150 USD and a discount card for many of the resorts food and beverages. Upon receiving this card there was no instruction as to how we should use it. I presented it a few times early on, but it didn’t seem as though the servers paid any attention to it so I stopped. On checkout I asked to resolve all applicable discounts and they asked if I had always presented the card. I told them I hadn’t been instructed that I needed to do so, and they begrudgingly agreed to the adjustments.

Our biggest problem and only complaint that was never permanently resolved was the water pressure/temperature in the sinks and in the shower. Sometimes we’d turn on the water and only get air. Other times only hot water or only cold water. We tried different times of the day but there was no reliable time. About half the time we took short and sometimes painfully hot or cold showers as a result.

As has been noted, this is the noisy building. At least three times each week they have live music at the Brewery on the roof of this building. The music is loud and plays until around 10:30 on those nights. We made plans to be out later on these nights if we could. This noise experience extended, unfortunately, to the poolside where loud music was playing all day appealing mostly to a younger crowd (of which few were in attendance most days). I wore headphones and listened to the music on my iPod instead. There is a wonderful sunning area on the beach with very comfortable vinyl-covered foam chaise lounges. We only sunned there one day as moving these lounges, which we prefer to orient depending on where the sun is, was virtually impossible. The music is more sedate there, by the way.

Speaking of sunning, the older of the two pools gets very limited sun and the larger one only gets sun till around 3 or so.

We like to watch movies in the evenings when vacationing. Knowing that the local cable channels would be limited we took a stock of videos with us. After checking out the connections on the flat-screen TV we went to the local Radio Shack (where Wal-Mart is) and bought a 6’ HDMI cable, connected it to the back of the TV and our laptop and watched videos quite easily that way. I understand there’s at least one video store close by, but we never looked very hard to locate it.

We needed to do laundry several times and there is a place called Cabo Klin about a five minute walk from the resort where if you drop off your laundry you can retrieve it three hours later clean and folded for around 70 pesos. The clothes smelled strongly of laundry soap, but it was better than having dirty clothes.

There were mainly two places where we shopped for food and beverage, Wal-Mart (a brisk 20 – 25 minute walk and an 80 peso cab ride back with groceries), and a small store downtown across from the Wyndham and near the Cultural Pavilion called the California Ranch Market. We shopped here for a better assortment of crackers and also Agave syrup for our margaritas.
One of the best things about the resort is the accessibility to just about everything. It’s a leisurely 5 – 10 minute walk to the Marina and downtown.

The restaurants at the beach are a bit more expensive than in old town Cabo, but so close by that we ate there most evenings. Our favorites were Edith’s, The Office, Sharkey’s and the Cuchina Y Cantina at Hacienda right next door to Cabo Villas, but a good 10 minute walk through the Hacienda resort to get there unless you slog through the sand. The views from here are stunning.

Other places we ate which were remarkable were La Fonda, Salvatores Italian, Misiones de Kino in town, Alexander and Art and Sushi at the Marina.

The on-site restaurants were okay, but not to the standards of these other spots. Service at the pools and on the beach had some happy hour, 2 for 1, drinks and we took advantage of that. We had ceviche a few times by the pool or at the beach, and it was tasty. The beers at Baja Brewery were good and the view from there may be the best we experienced.

The staff is wonderful and very accommodating. I forgot my wrist watch at the pool one day and it was at the front desk when I checked the following day. We also left money and jewelry out in the room and always felt secure in our things. Room service was once a day and we tipped our maid $25/week while we were there. She was sweet and very hard working. If we left dishes undone, she would do them for us and put them away.

Overall, I gave this resort fourstars. The resort is conveniently located. It is, however, very noisy and the rooms available through RCI have limited, but striking views. You can look out at how high-end members of the resort get to live, including two beautiful penthouses with rooftop access and hot tubs, but less than the best accommodations is to be assumed when trading with RCI. Again, our biggest complaints were noise and the issues with the shower. We would go back and stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple