“Resort far exceeds pictures on the Internet”

Cabo Villas Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Expectations were tamed with so so reviews. We were put in Building #1 floor 6 and were very pleased. Room was clean and spacious, pools were very nice but hardly used by the wife and I as we are beach people. The Baja Cantina Beach Club was excellent, Francisco (our cabana guy if you will) waited on us hands and feet for the entire week and we took care of him also. Loungers were comfy, sand and water were to fie for. Drinks were a little weak I must say but you can never go wrong with cerveza. the food at this place was excellent as well....and location to downtown was ideal (2 blocks!!)

Many locals would hang here at night and we met many people who would visit the Baja Beach Club during the day from other resorts and hotels...it was that good!

We will be back...

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tan_Haole

Reviewed 26 October 2009

Needed a few extra days on top of our week at our resort to participate in the 2009 Trip Advisors Black and Green Tournement. Found a package deal At Cabo Villas Beach Resort for 4 days 3 nights lodging plus a days fishing on a 34' Stryker. Quickly made reservations and added a discounted 2nd days fishing to the package. Reservations were easy and quick confirmation between staff and Project Director allowed pease of mind. Prior to arrival we were contacted with updated information on several occasions. Check in was quick and easy and room was very nice. A one bedroom oceanview just above the pool. We were given VIP treatment the whole stay. Perfect location also, lots of good resturants close by and right out the door to the beach. Fishing portion was a class act also. Boat was the biggest and fastest in the tourney. Nice 34' Stryker, in good conditionbut kind of showing it's age. Still the crew put us on fish everyday. After the first day of fishing we were greeted dockside by the owner to see how things were going. We will use them again. The resort was also nice in that it was perfectly located between the beach and town. Easy walks each way. Pool areas were clean and well kept, and big one had a swim-up bar, (a must for us). The Attitudes Resturant was good and with LCG Vouchers it was very reasonable priced. This trip was between Patrica and Rick. I know we can't control weather but the only drawback to the whole trip was that the pool seemed always in the shade. We've been coming to Cabo for several years August and now October and it has rained every trip. We believe that the desert needs us to come to Cabo and we are willing to do it. Life is tough. Contact us if you have questions or want prices. Would we go back, fishing, Sammy Hager, great friends, food and drink, "you betcha in a minute. " See Ya

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank davealvie
Reviewed 21 October 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at this wonderful resort without the kids. It was perfect. The resort is a small boutique hotel right on the beach, near everything. It is not kid friendly, so this was perfect for us. The room we stayed in was gorgeous, executive 1 bedroom suite, overlooking the ocean with a hot tub. I was a bit nervous about going after reading the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful everything was. The people were super friendly, the food was delicious and we attended the time share presentation to get the discounts. We weren't bothered by anyone at all. I think the key is to confirm which building you are staying in. I believe there is one old building and thats what gets the most complaints. Overall this place was a gem!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RadlerGreatNeck_NY
Reviewed 12 October 2009

There are dozens of better places to stay in Cabo. Yes, Cabo Villas has a great location. But the "resort" is basically an upgraded Holiday Inn (all apologies to Holiday Inn). Forget about sleeping as he walls/floors are paper thin and you hear EVERY noise from EVERY neighbors. Plus, many of the rooms are right next to the pool bar that blasts music and football games all day. Want to take an afternoon siesta? FORGET IT. This place is a JOKE!!!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Locorico
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My trip was a "me" vacation without the husband and kids. I stayed at Cabo Villas my first 7 days, which ended up being the best of the 14 days I had planned in Cabo. I was spoiled while I was here. Two for one drinks most of the afternoon at the swim up bar. The whole staff was very tentative at the villas. After the first day, the bartenders smiled as soon as I sat down and knew what I wanted. My room was a one bedroom with a mini kitchen, which was great. I was able to close the bedroom doors and window to make it very dark. No light to wake me in the morning.The resort was quite. No loud ungodly music playing. Cabo Villas is on the main beach in Cabo, Medano Beach. The view of Land's End right out my balcony. Totally breath taking...just beautiful!!! Within five minutes walking distance to downtown and the Marina where there is a mall too that is totally air conditioned, which was a great spot to hit with the humid temperatures after walking around town and the marina. Just downstairs from the swimming pool is Baja Cantina where the food was wonderful. Sushi everyday. Can't say enough on the good time I had at Baja Cantina. Wednesday night - Mexican Fiesta on the beach...what a blast!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Sonjanroundrock
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Like others, I was worried when I read the reviews about the Cabo Villas Beach Resort. I went expecting the worse and hoping for the best. First off, I was an RCI trade. I read that RCI trades are put in the "original building". This was true. However, the original building was just fine. The bedroom was large as was the living area. We looked over the upper pool and if we looked to the right could see the beach and ocean from our balcony. We were on the second floor which was nice....no stairs and no elevators to hassle with. On arrival I noticed a leaking bathrom faucet. They arrived immediately to fix it. When the coffee pot stopped working on day 6, a new pot was sent within 5 minutes of my call. When I called on our last night to move leftover beer, water and food to a different room a cart arrived with tubs to put everything in. Again, 5 minutes.
The beach area was fantastic. We never had a problem finding a lounge even on the day that FIVE cruise ships came in carrying 18,000 people. The staff on the beach were outstanding. Our favorite was Geraldo (Gerry). Though only 17 he was running to do guest bidding the entire day. Too hot? Let me move your umbrella for you. Thirsty? Cocktails arrived within minutes. (2 for 1 cocktails all day). Hungry? Food arrived quickly and was always good.
The walk to town was one block down and one block over and you were standing on the marina. We were two women and never felt "unsafe" walking back at night. Nice to not have to spend money on cabs.
I've stayed at the Villa del Palmar and the Riu Santa Fe which were wonderful but you can't beat swimming in the ocean and walking next door to the funnest bars on the beach!
As far as time share presentations? I said no. And that was it. No one hassled me once I said I wasn't interested.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cabotyme
Reviewed 19 September 2009

There are two types of reviews that seem to consistantly show up for this resort. People either hate the resort or love it. After staying here I think I finally have a good understanding. There are 3 groups of people staying at the resort at any given time.
The first group are the owners who have purchased new very well appointed modern rooms. These rooms are fantastic and include flat screen tv's, huge bathrooms, filtered water, and everything else you could expect from a modern room. The second group are those who have purchased a week on the open market from one of the owners ( or the company that is used excusively to sell the inventory for the owners). This group pays more but is also able to stay in the modern rooms. The third group is for the exchange groups. Those who have used RCI, II, or GCR to book their vacation. There are small group of rooms that are only given to this group and they are nothing like the rooms I described above.
My wife and I booked a 2 room suite through GCR for a very good price. The room was much older but very clean. The hot water and safe didn't work at first but the hot water finally was fixed and it worked for the rest of the time. There was plenty of space for us and the view was still good. I later found out that there are only a few of these villas available and they are slated for demolition as soon as the next phase of the hotel is started. I also found out that the other "Exchange Rooms" are located only on the bottom floor of the old building and I imagine many of the poor reviews about this hotel came from people that were given these rooms. There would be no view and the rooms are older like the one we stayed in. Groups 1 and 2 are never offered these rooms.
When we arrived we were ushered to the restraunt and we're "checked in" by a very nice staff member who wanted us to sign up for the welcome breakfast (Condo Presentation) the next morning. They really never tell you this but you can tell since they are very insistant and are willing to give you services in exchange. We negotiated some great activities and dinner certifificates and agreed to the presentation. I think this turned out well as they quit bothering you once you have taken the tour. The tour was very low key and we rejected the offer. They followed through with what they promised and we were finished and on our way with everything in hand before noon on the second day. They never bothered us again.
The location of the hotel is outstanding and the staff was very helpful. It's just a short walk from the marina/mall and right on the only swimming beach in Cabo. I would definitely recommend this hotel as long as you understand what you will be getting. If you are in the first couple of groups then you will have a great room. If you use exchange points or book through your travel club then beware that you get a much older room and things may not work so well. Our host during the tour also advised me not to drink the water in the "exchange rooms" since those were the only ones not hooked to their filtration system. There probably isn't much incentive if they are planning to tear down the rooms anyway. The program that we belong to lets us pay as we go so there are no maintanence fees or points. We paid a great price for a 2 bedroom condo on the beach so the value was there. Those that are exchanging points from very nice properties may not feel they have received the same value.
One other note to make about this trip that isn't directly related to the hotel. We were here at their slow time of the year and walking through the marina was very frustrating. I realize we were in Mexico and people always ask you to purchase things as you walk through the public areas. I have never seen it this bad though. You could not take more than 5 or 6 steps at times before someone wanted to sell you a water taxi, cigars, drugs, jewelry, or a number of other items. Also, the restraunts on the pier almost takle you so that you will look at their menu. If you do decide to go to one of these restraunts we found the food to be quite good and somewhat expensive. The frustrating part for me was that the vendors constantly wander through the restaurants and try to sell you things while you are eating. My wife and I ate at a very nice place on the marina, we even sat up further away from the sidewalk. We were approached a minimum of 12 times during dinner from musicians, flower vendors, picture painters, and cigar salesmen. Be prepared.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple