“Economical and relaxing visit”

El Ameyal Hotel & Family Suites
Ranked #54 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, Canada
“Economical and relaxing visit”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

An excellent budget choice, clean and safe. A very well maintained property.
After an all inclusive week at the nearby Santa Fe I wanted to spend an extra
week in Cabo to see local things and the El Ayemal proved to be an affordable
and excellent option. (July 20-27, 1st visit to Cabo)

Yes, close to the highway, probably was not always like this as road seems recently
widened, traffic noise goes away after 10 pm and you don't really hear it at other times
with AC running. Keeping bathroom window/door closed cuts it in half. Balconies are not deep with
low railings, watch your balance in the heat.

Not all-inclusive, eat nearby/Walmart, Cabo downtown, San Jose.

Vegetarian restaurant on premises and heavily patronized, but am not vegetarian
so did not try it. Alcoholic beverages not sold on premises but available next door
to put in mini-fridge. Absence of full-tilt drinking came as a relief.
Real non-inclusive Mexicans vacation here for a different feel. Did not use spa options,
but I think packages directly available from Hotel or arranged on web-site.
Two small bottles of water supplied free daily, but you'll probably need to buy extra.
Cantina, grocery, basic Mexican fast food to go, next door.

A good choice after the intensity of the all inclusive, one day spent resting and
reading on very firm mattress. Great!

The honesty, sincerity and helpfulness of the staff cannot be over-emphasized.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for helping with all my questions
and my total lack of Spanish speaking skills. Thank you. Their daily cheerfulness
and professionalism instantly dispelled any doubts about staying on my own at a
non-inclusive. Again thank you.

Bus to San Jose stops right at door so that's convenient, but public beach a 2km walk with no
shade, so save that for evening when the locals go. A good option is the surfing beach before
you get to San Jose. Shade after 4pm between the boulders of One and Only Pamilla: friendly
attitude towards roving security guard means no hassles. Bus drops you off at bottom of hill,
NOT next surfing beach. Climb down stais with the other surfers. (Flat, no shade)

The extra week went by too quickly, but life off the resort is interesting and I am quite
happy with getting to know both sides of Cabo.

AIRPORT TRANSFER TIP:

Taxi $50-65$ US plus tip. Front desk arranged this but still a hassle.
Tip: Pack light with roll along suitcase. The different Cabo buses go to old Terminal 2 but drop you off
500 yards away, you'll have to thread your way through Avis but not if you've got heavy bags
to carry manually. Plan 1 1/2 hour transit for 30 Pesos and save $60 US dollars! Next time I
will make sure this happens!

hmeyer
Cambridge ON
Canada

Room Tip: Floors one and two quiter thatn upper 3 and floor as traffic noise does not carry as much, you'...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank rocketmail67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kenora, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for one night when our resort stay ended and we weren't flying out until the next day. Excellent value - only $55 for the night. The rooms are adequate for short stays. There is a larger suite available, which would be better for a longer stay. If you're looking for a budget Cabo experience, this place could be good choice. The bus to Cabo is only 9 pesos, and a taxi about $12. There is a spa with Mexican sauna available, but normal spa prices - not cheap. There is a lovely swimming pool, and the grounds are impeccable. The vegetarian restaurant is absolutely fantastic, and reasonably priced. When we got there the restaurant was closing, so we walked to a little Mexican restaurant 5 minutes away recommened by the hotel where we got a great dinner with a beer each for about $13 for the two of us. The breakfast buffet at the El Ameyal on Sunday morning was fantastic! The only drawback with this hotel is that it is right on the highway, and there's a lot of traffic noise that the door of the room didn't quite block out. But we had a good sleep anyway.

Room Tip: If you're here for a longer stay get the bigger suite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank msimkin
Texas
Reviewed 27 January 2010

If someone had told me I would get a bargain so close to Cabo, I would have not believed it. Aside from the location (about 3 miles from downtown Cabo) and the construction on the property, I really appreciated my stay here. I plan to go back in a few months to see how the upgrades (new rooms, gym, spa, etc) turned out. Ask for a room facing North (less street noise). There is on premise security all night long. He was very chatty, a little noisy, but he was very good at his job. There are safe deposit boxes, which I really loved because I was able to secure my laptop and valuables while I was out enjoying the city.The rooms were very well decorated. I had a studio so my room was small, but that was what I wanted. The housekeeping staff did not speak English very well, but they kept the entire hotel spotless!!! This property has well mannered and respectful associates, especially the night and overnight front desk staff (sorry I can't include their names). These guys spoke perfect English. They even taught me some Spanish words and gave tips on how to catch the bus, which saved me several dollars in taxi fare. In fact, they even told me how to catch the bus to and from the airport that will almost $50 on shuttle service. The Mexican food was very good in the restaurant. Get dinner early though, because they close by 6pm. Also, there is a nice corner store just steps away so buying locally is great too.The gym and spa, although a little small has excellent equipment and is very clean. The only complaint I have is that the jacuzzi did not get very hot and the jets were very weak. I suspect these issues will be sorted out once they finish construction. Go Vistazul!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Ask R
California
Reviewed 21 August 2007

This place is horrible. Every room faces a very busy highway where you can here all traffic at all hours of the night. The hotel is no where near the beach, no road to the beach, nothing. There are no ice or vending machines. The place was not very clean and we frequently saw bugs in our room. The beds are horribly hard and uncomfortable. WORST OF ALL - PLEASE BE AWARE-their "concierge" is not affiliated with the hotel. He will urge you to go to a 90 minute talk about a new time share they are building. It is not 90 minutes but rather 4 hours in which they will try every trick in the book, including insulting your job, your pay and eventually your family name by saying it is not welcome in Mexico any longer when you finally decide you do not want to invest in a condo there. They told us that our salary was meaningless and that we now meant nothing to them, simply because we didn't want to invest in a time share. Please spare yourself this pain and do not stay here. Cabo is a great place, just find another resort and preferably one that is near the ocean!

• Stayed August 2007
7 Thank babykinipela
North Carolina
Reviewed 15 May 2007

My wife and I visited Cabo on our honeymoon back in 2004. It was our first trip to Mexico and we were a little nervous. But it turned out to be so much fun. This hotel is just a minutes drive from the Mall and Bay area. Its relatively new. Rooms were clean and very nice. They have a wonderful restaurant outside by the pool under a hut. The second time we went in 2006 they had completed the workout room and spa. They spared no expense in the workout room. It was air conditioned with Satellite TV and all of the nicest workout equipment available to mankind. My wife and I would eat under the hut most every morning and even some late night snacks. This hotel isnt directly on the waterfront but you do have a great view of the waterfront. The hotel is probable about a mile from the actual beach. This second time that we went they had built a large resort in between the water and our hotel which blocked some of the view but you still see all you need to see from your balcony. We plan on going back hopefully this summer and I will be staying at Vistazul again. My wife and I always say "well lets try somewhere else" but we always end up wanting to stay at Vistazul. For the price and the comfort and location, you won't find a better vacation home in all of Cabo.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not directly on the waterfront
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank dylanequipment
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2006

We had a one-bedroom apartment, on the corner of the ground floor, for a week in November, on RCI exchange. Size and décor were Ok, but yes, the bed was a bit firm, and the kitchen was not very well equipped. The garden/spa/pool/restaurant area is very attractive, and the pool is surprisingly large for a small complex. Didn’t use the spa/gym, but it looked nice. Thankfully, no-one mentioned a time-share promo, and every one of the staff was friendly and helpful. It is on a busy highway, 3.5Km from Cabo, but we had hired a car, so that we would be able to visit beaches for snorkelling (excellent) and would recommend that everyone do so. Driving was really easy, and in Cabo, you can park at the Puerto Paraiso shopping mall, 24 hours a day, at no charge until midnight. Didn’t find ants a problem, but the mozzies were, in the restaurant and in the apartment. Restaurant was excellent, especially the ‘desayuno americano’ ($7), though the lunch and dinner menu was limited. Yes the water tank is small, but it gave us time to have a cocktail between showers! Noise was really our only complaint, not just the highway, but worse was the heavy construction traffic on the side road next to our apartment, which leads down to the Riu and its beach. We had a great week, because we like snorkelling, but there is not a lot to do in Cabo (it is a bit shabby), or within day-trip reach of Cabo, so I wouldn’t recommend going there unless you like water/beaches.

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank eleanola
SanDiego
Reviewed 11 November 2006

This place is so close to the 'highway of hell' that it took major league ear plugs, a pillow and plenty of anesthetic (Etoh) to sleep. It looks like all of the rooms front on the road and between the jake brakes and the pounding trucks, you will not sleep well. Otherwise, it is nice, pool is nice, breakfast is good, but ummmmm, the road noise is not tolerable.
Find somewhere else to stay.

KJ

• Liked — Nice pool grounds
  • Disliked — Way too much road noise, place fronts right on major road
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank KJFromSan