“Good Location. Awesome Staff!!!”

El Ameyal Hotel & Family Suites
Ranked #52 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersGold level
Texas
“Good Location. Awesome Staff!!!”
Reviewed 27 January 2010

If someone had told me I would get a bargain so close to Cabo, I would have not believed it. Aside from the location (about 3 miles from downtown Cabo) and the construction on the property, I really appreciated my stay here. I plan to go back in a few months to see how the upgrades (new rooms, gym, spa, etc) turned out. Ask for a room facing North (less street noise). There is on premise security all night long. He was very chatty, a little noisy, but he was very good at his job. There are safe deposit boxes, which I really loved because I was able to secure my laptop and valuables while I was out enjoying the city.The rooms were very well decorated. I had a studio so my room was small, but that was what I wanted. The housekeeping staff did not speak English very well, but they kept the entire hotel spotless!!! This property has well mannered and respectful associates, especially the night and overnight front desk staff (sorry I can't include their names). These guys spoke perfect English. They even taught me some Spanish words and gave tips on how to catch the bus, which saved me several dollars in taxi fare. In fact, they even told me how to catch the bus to and from the airport that will almost $50 on shuttle service. The Mexican food was very good in the restaurant. Get dinner early though, because they close by 6pm. Also, there is a nice corner store just steps away so buying locally is great too.The gym and spa, although a little small has excellent equipment and is very clean. The only complaint I have is that the jacuzzi did not get very hot and the jets were very weak. I suspect these issues will be sorted out once they finish construction. Go Vistazul!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Ask R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
California
Reviewed 21 August 2007

This place is horrible. Every room faces a very busy highway where you can here all traffic at all hours of the night. The hotel is no where near the beach, no road to the beach, nothing. There are no ice or vending machines. The place was not very clean and we frequently saw bugs in our room. The beds are horribly hard and uncomfortable. WORST OF ALL - PLEASE BE AWARE-their "concierge" is not affiliated with the hotel. He will urge you to go to a 90 minute talk about a new time share they are building. It is not 90 minutes but rather 4 hours in which they will try every trick in the book, including insulting your job, your pay and eventually your family name by saying it is not welcome in Mexico any longer when you finally decide you do not want to invest in a condo there. They told us that our salary was meaningless and that we now meant nothing to them, simply because we didn't want to invest in a time share. Please spare yourself this pain and do not stay here. Cabo is a great place, just find another resort and preferably one that is near the ocean!

• Stayed August 2007
7 Thank babykinipela
North Carolina
Reviewed 15 May 2007

My wife and I visited Cabo on our honeymoon back in 2004. It was our first trip to Mexico and we were a little nervous. But it turned out to be so much fun. This hotel is just a minutes drive from the Mall and Bay area. Its relatively new. Rooms were clean and very nice. They have a wonderful restaurant outside by the pool under a hut. The second time we went in 2006 they had completed the workout room and spa. They spared no expense in the workout room. It was air conditioned with Satellite TV and all of the nicest workout equipment available to mankind. My wife and I would eat under the hut most every morning and even some late night snacks. This hotel isnt directly on the waterfront but you do have a great view of the waterfront. The hotel is probable about a mile from the actual beach. This second time that we went they had built a large resort in between the water and our hotel which blocked some of the view but you still see all you need to see from your balcony. We plan on going back hopefully this summer and I will be staying at Vistazul again. My wife and I always say "well lets try somewhere else" but we always end up wanting to stay at Vistazul. For the price and the comfort and location, you won't find a better vacation home in all of Cabo.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not directly on the waterfront
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank dylanequipment
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2006

We had a one-bedroom apartment, on the corner of the ground floor, for a week in November, on RCI exchange. Size and décor were Ok, but yes, the bed was a bit firm, and the kitchen was not very well equipped. The garden/spa/pool/restaurant area is very attractive, and the pool is surprisingly large for a small complex. Didn’t use the spa/gym, but it looked nice. Thankfully, no-one mentioned a time-share promo, and every one of the staff was friendly and helpful. It is on a busy highway, 3.5Km from Cabo, but we had hired a car, so that we would be able to visit beaches for snorkelling (excellent) and would recommend that everyone do so. Driving was really easy, and in Cabo, you can park at the Puerto Paraiso shopping mall, 24 hours a day, at no charge until midnight. Didn’t find ants a problem, but the mozzies were, in the restaurant and in the apartment. Restaurant was excellent, especially the ‘desayuno americano’ ($7), though the lunch and dinner menu was limited. Yes the water tank is small, but it gave us time to have a cocktail between showers! Noise was really our only complaint, not just the highway, but worse was the heavy construction traffic on the side road next to our apartment, which leads down to the Riu and its beach. We had a great week, because we like snorkelling, but there is not a lot to do in Cabo (it is a bit shabby), or within day-trip reach of Cabo, so I wouldn’t recommend going there unless you like water/beaches.

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank eleanola
SanDiego
Reviewed 11 November 2006

This place is so close to the 'highway of hell' that it took major league ear plugs, a pillow and plenty of anesthetic (Etoh) to sleep. It looks like all of the rooms front on the road and between the jake brakes and the pounding trucks, you will not sleep well. Otherwise, it is nice, pool is nice, breakfast is good, but ummmmm, the road noise is not tolerable.
Find somewhere else to stay.

KJ

• Liked — Nice pool grounds
  • Disliked — Way too much road noise, place fronts right on major road
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank KJFromSan
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 24 October 2006

We went to Cabo for our honeymoon and booked through RCI for the hotel. By the time we booked, this was the only hotel left so we took it because it looked nice. Upon arrival things looked nice but we soon found it was very noisy since it is right off of the highway. Then we sat on the bed and found it was as hard as a board and realized it was only a double size bed! We did not sleep well that night but realized that there was a sofa bed, so we took the mattress off that and put it on the bed which made it a little softer. The first night there, the concierge talked us into listening to the timeshare presentation and promised us tickets to the arch and vip prices. However, after we went to the breakfast, the concierge was nowhere to be found for the rest of the week we stayed, so we could not get any of the prices promised. This was very frustrating, especially when she said she was on her way one day and we waited around for an hour and she never showed up. Also, the hotel is too far from downtown to walk so you have to take a cab for $10 each way or you can catch the bus for 60 cents per person, but we couldn't find out how to catch it from downtown to get back to the hotel. It might be a good idea to rent a car, it might save you money. Also beware, if you need transportation to the airport, make arrangements at least 24 hours ahead of time or it will cost at least $60. Besides the concierge problem, the rest of the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the room was always clean, though we did have an ant problem in the kitchen that they couldn't seem to get rid of even after spraying them.

• Liked — Beautiful pool area
  • Disliked — Bad Conceirge service and hard beds
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a car and relax on the beach
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JTL2005
Lynden, WA
Reviewed 16 October 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Vistazul Suites last week on our honeymoon for one night before moving on to the next stop of our trip. I booked this hotel because it was cheaper than the other resorts and we just needed a bed for the night.

We arrived at 1:00pm, and even though we were early they checked us right in. We were in our room in less than 15 minutes from arrival. Our room was a one bedroom suite with living room area, kitchen, dining table and two seperate balcony's overlooking the pool. The room was very cozy, and I could see the kitchen being very useful if we were staying there for longer. The bed was a double, and quite firm. I'm used to sleeping on a pillowtop so this was quite a change for me, but I slept just fine all night. The hotel is right off the main highway so there was noticable traffic noise when sitting at the pool, but I didn't hear it in the bedroom.

We ate dinner and breakfast at their restaurant and it was very good, no complaints about the food except their menu was pretty limited. There was also a gym and spa for massages near the pool, we used neither. The pool was great, it was nice and refreshing and not crowded at all. There was no beach access by the hotel, but you could walk down the street (10 minute walk) to the RIU and sit on that beach.

All in all I'd stay there again, but I'd rent a car to drive into the city to sit on the beach probably.

• Liked — Price, Location
  • Disliked — Small, No Beach Access
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax, you're on vacation, Rent a car