“Whale Watcher bar”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Every year we hike up to Finsterra's Whale Watcher bar late in the afternoon, and every year we see whales (Feb/Mar). You must be in shape to walk up; it is a climb! But the view of the ocean is spectacular from that height. Afternoon drinks along the railing are fun. Dinner after dark is great as well.

3  Thank tophatpat

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Having stayed here for the first time in 2012, I was awestruck by the jaw dropping views this place offers. Nestles into the cliffside overlooking the Marina on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other, the views leave little to the imagination. You feel at peace and extremely tranquil.
The food was amazing!!! THe bistro overlooks the dolphin vicinity and you get live shows around lunch time. They also have 2 for 1s on drinks and beer. The tacos are awesome.
The only negative I found was i got torn up by the bed bugs on the last day. Be very careful!!!!
They did try to trick me into saying i bought a bottled water when they only had one bottle of water in the room when i checked in.
The beds were tough to sleep in. Go purchase some Soma at the local prescription joint and your sleep will be pretty deep.

Room Tip: Ocean View on floors 5 or higher
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Johnny A
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I have been staying at the Finisterra many many times ... the first time in the year 2000. We just returned yesterday from a week there. When I arrive each time I am always in awe of the grandeur of this property...the way it was built high on the cliff...the cliffside waterfall and the bridge connecting the main hotel and Palapa Beach Club with the Whale Watcher Bar and the original cliffside units as well as the newly remodeled marina view hotel units. I have stayed many places in Cabo, and this is still my preference... though it would not be the right choice for some travelers...do your research and make your own decision.

This is definitely not a luxury resort...it is very beautifully built...I have not seen a resort in Cabo that I am as impressed with the way it was built into the landscape. We have stayed her many times and it has never tried to compete with the bigger, flashier resorts, such as it's mega-resort neighbor, the Playa Grande. The Palapa Beach Club rooms were completed in the late 1990's and have not been remodeled with new furnishings (to my knowledge) since then. The TV's are not flat screens and the beds and couches are not new, though everything has always been maintained and clean. Yes, the towels in the rooms are not fluffy and new, but our room and linens have always been clean.

The rooms all have tile floors. When an entire resort is made of tile floors (no carpet) there is going to be many echos and yes you will hear noise of furniture moving and the like. EVERY resort I have stayed in Cabo has tile floors and they all have this same problem...I have stayed at Pueblo Bonito, Playa Grande, Playa los Arcos...they all have tile floors and the same noises...doors will slam as the wind tends make this happen.

The pool complex is three beautiful pools with at least 6 hot tubs. At all times during my most recent stay at least two of the hot tubs were heated. There was never a time when they were crowded. In the past the middle pool was heated and the two others not. I found the middle pool to be comfortable, though I'm not sure if it is heated. The pool lounges' blue cloth is showing it's age and are fading, however they were all functionable. There is never a problem finding a lounge or place to lay at this pool, unlike the larger resorts. There were no activities going on in the pool area, unlike the other resorts. If you are looking for this for you or your kids, you probably will not enjoy this resort...but if you like the calm relaxing pool environment, with popular music from the 80's, 90's and 00's playing you will enjoy it. I love viewing the pool area from above or from the balcony of our room.

All the ice machines were working during my recent stay. We were staying in the timeshare units, which have fridges, but I did make notice of the ice machines, because of reviews I read recently.

The free wifi is available in the hotel lobby or in the pool area. Sometimes we could get the pool wifi from our balcony, but it was a little "come and go." There is one computer in the lobby for guest use. I found not problem with the speed of the internet. You could not watch a lengthy clip, but I did not have to wait for anything to load. It was similar to most hotels I have stayed in the US...very few of them seem to have fast enough to watch a video clip.

If you need a big nice modern gym, the Finisterra will not work for you. They have had the same very small gym for years. I personally don't go on vacation to work out, so it's not important to me.

I love all the food at the Finisterra...my favorites being the fish tacos and Finisterra Nachos at the La Palapa (pool restaurant), and the pizza and the Quesadillas at the Whale Watcher bar are wonderful. There is a new "bistro" IL PORTO located below the newly remodeled hotel rooms overlooking the marina, which we had lunch. They have good sandwiches and nice fruit and simple breakfast items such as fruit, oatmeal, etc. When it's open, the Blue Marlin Restaurant atmosphere is wonderful, with the flowing "waterfall fountains" next to it. I only order drinks at the resort duing happy hour. (2-4pm at the La Palapa) and 4-6pm at the Whale Watcher Bar, as they are buy one get two.

The location of this place is the best. It is a five minute walk to the marina area. The views of the Pacific Ocean are amazing. All the units in the Palapa Beach Club are ocean view. You can watch whales from your balcony Dec.-April. Unfortunately, the beach is not swimmable, so if this is what you want you should probably go to one of the resorts on Medano Beach. You can, however, walk along the beach and do a little bit of rock climing and find yourself at the famous "Lover's Beach" from the beach at the Finsiterra. I have done this before, and for an average person the trip is easy, which very minimal climbing on rocks.

I find the best service at the Finisterra from the Bell Staff. There are currently four bellman...Freddy, Jorge, Alvaro and Edgar. Their English is good and have always found them to be much more eager to give information and help than the front desk. I have never found the front desk to be extremely warm, but the bellman and restaurant staff make up for it. The "welcome desk" to the side of the front desk (where they give you your "welcome margaritas" is not associated with the hotel...they work for the marketing company which sales the Mayan Palace or Grand Luxxe in San Jose. Previously this desk was staffed by ladies representing the Playa Grande Resort next door (for 10+ years). If you don't want to go to the sales presentation, then politely decline (after they give you your free drink coupon!). They say it is 90 minutes, but in actuality it was be probably at least 4 hours of your time. If you have not been to Cabo before, these OPC's are everywhere...their job is to get you to a presentation and offering you free activities, dinners, etc. Most of the booths around town that say "information" are there for that purpose. These people are pretty nice and do have good information...just keep in mind their goal is to get you to attend a sales presentation for a timeshare resort.

So, I find this resort to be a beautiful hotel with an excellent location, close to the marina and town of San Lucas. It is clean and comfortable, and it has been the staff which makes us feel welcome (mainly the bell staff and restaurant). The Finisterra is a wonderful place to go to relax and enjoy Cabo, especially for the price. If you want a luxury resort with lots of activities and the most modern furnishings and (along with the price) then there are other options in Cabo that you will be more happy with. If you'd like any additional info please contact me, as I'm happy to share.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Palapa Beach Section have ocean views and balconies, however the views from the Mar...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank bran1992
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Finisterra is very well known. It was the first big hotel to be built in Cabo in the early 70's. It's built into the cliffs and is also know as Land's End. The location is great. Walk out the driveway (there is a shuttle until 11 pm) and cross the street and you're at the marina right by the cruise ship terminal. The marina area is very well lit though stretches of it are desolate. You can be downtown in less than 10 min. There is an Oxxo (not 24 hr) at the bottom of the driveway. Note, Cabo is a desert next to the ocean so the sun is hot, low humidity, and the temperature drops at night. It seldom rains.

There are beach palapa rooms and marina rooms. Marina rooms are renovated, but the elevator was out and you may still have to walk up some stairs. We ended up in a palapa room #132. We had a partially obstructed view of the ocean. There is the most incredible natural breeze through the open air hallways. The rooms were good sized and the mattresses were new. The AC is very strong. The glass door must be closed for the AC to turn on. Also, you need to leave the Do Not Disturb sign or room key in the slot by the door to keep the electricity on. I understand this is to save on electricity, I just wish the alarm clock had batteries because I got sick of resetting the clock after the first day. The towels are worn but clean. They changed our sheets and towels daily.

There is free wifi in the lobby and pool bar. The pools are unheated. There are several jacuzzis but they are not all running at the same time. The waiters will come to serve you at the pool. The beach due to the strong tide is unswimmable. There are 4 restaurants; Whale Watchers, Giggling Marling, Il Porto Cafe, and the pool bar. Whale Watchers faces the ocean and is awesome for brunch. It's dark at night because of the ocean view. Il Porto has great food and a fantastic view. It's only open till 2 pm. It faces the city and marina and is pretty day or night. You can watch the nearby Dolphin center too. There are happy hours that switch restaurants every 2 hrs every day.

The service is excellent throughout the facility. It's also whale watching season. We actually saw several whales in the Pacific on one of our outings that the hotel arranged. We plan on staying here again the next time we come to Cabo.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank SassyTravelerDC
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Finisterra for 6 nights in Feb 2012, and I recommend the property to anyone who wants easy access to the Marina but still privacy and relaxation. The Hotel is an older property, with none of the amenities that you find at some of the newer all-inclusive places. BUT, the rooms are large, clean and serviced very well. There are 3 large pools and a full service bar/pool menu. The service by the pool is excellent - the waiters come around often (but not too often). The food by the pool is excellent. The pools are not heated but I would expect that in the summer that is a bonus. We hung out by the pool all day and walked to the Marina at night for dinner. The hotel was pretty quiet - not many kids, mostly older couples and groups. I really enjoyed my stay. The value was excellent - for a great nightly rate, you get a killer whale watching view, nice pools, a decent room and easy access to the social scene at the Marina. If you require luxury and amenities such as all-inclusive, a spa, gym, business center, etc., then this property is not for you. However, I would highly recommend this property to anyone wanting a relaxing trip at a beautiful property with equal access to the ocean and the Marina.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Katherine714
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We just returned from 5 nights at the Finisterra, and it was a great time. I'm so happy we chose this hotel over other options in San Jose del Cabo or the ones at Medano Beach in Cabo San Lucas. It's so conveniently-located near the marina in Cabo, so you can walk to everything, but it's also secluded and set back enough that you feel more peaceful and at ease. It's located on a hillside, with the older portion of the hotel facing the marina to the east, and all of the new rooms facing the Pacific Ocean to the west. Looking out at the ocean every day from our balcony was beautiful enough, but then to see whales as well?! Awesome. I loved the location.
The hotel is a bit on the older side and is lacking in amenities, but we really weren't there for anything of that so it didn't bother us. The business center was closed, I never saw where the gym/spa was, and the newest restaurant, the bistro, was advertised throughout the hotel but never actually open whenever we checked. A couple times the Blue Marlin restaurant wasn't open when they said they would be as well, but I think it's because of the low occupancy. The Whale Watcher Bar was always open, and the pool bar served food from 10am - 4pm, I believe. We enjoyed the food, especially their calamari. Like I said, we weren't too concerned with any of lack of amenities, so it didn't bother us much. We walked across the street to the marina every day and ate a few meals there, but we also ate a few times at the hotel and really liked the food.
The service is great and friendly. On our first night there, a waiter at the Whale Watcher Bar gave me a rose since it was Valentine's Day. I left it on the nightstand in the hotel room when we went out the next day, and upon our return the housekeeper had filled a waterbottle and put the rose in the makeshift vase for us. The servers at the pool bar were great as well, and they came around to all the lounge chairs often to check on you and take orders. When Happy Hour at the pool bar ends, it begins at the Whale Watcher Bar, so there is a good period of time for indulging in 2-for-1 drinks at the hotel's outlets.
Another thing that didn't bother us but might bother others is that the hotel hosted an excursion for the Disney cruise ship. On Thursday, we were walking out of the hotel as a big tour bus pulled up and unloaded lots of families with little kids. The sign in the bus said "Cabo Resort Pool Getaway," and it must've been the place to go for families who weren't going to be doing anything crazier in Cabo. We were out for the day so it wasn't a problem, but I can see it being bothersome if you planned on relaxing by the pool (which was otherwise quiet and serene) and were surprised by a busload of kids coming to play and splash around.
As far as the rooms go, it's great that they all face the ocean. My impression is that you don't have to worry about getting a room with a bad view. The walls were thin and you could hear neighbors when their voices were elevated, and the fact everything in the room was tile and stone probably added to the sound amplification. I was worried when I got sick on our last night there (not due to anything I consumed at the hotel) and the sound of my,uh, bathroom actions was probably amplified for those around to hear!

All in all, I'd definitely return. It's a great value and it's incredibly convenient if you plan on walking around Cabo San Lucas for most of your trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sp1014
Reviewed 4 February 2012

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. :) So alot can happen in a few years, I realize this but location doesn't change. I just wanted to put my two cents in for what its worth on the lovely Hotel Finisterra even though this review is from my stay in 2007. Going to Cabo is always an adventure, but this hotel really made me feel at home, safe, comfortable.
First of all, the location was ideal for me and my fiance at the time. Enough away from the crazy party loudness, but close enough to head down the hill to the harbor if we wanted to join in on the party. Being perched up on the hilltop the view is worth every penny. You overlook the harbor, beach, ocean, even able to spot any whales migrating, we could even watch the dolphin show free of charge ;)
I remember arriving the first day from that crazy little airport Cabo has and getting out of the cab being offered a warm towel to clean off. The rooms were meh/okay. The grounds were gorgeous with their pools and swim up bars. We did the hike and climb(on our own) to snorkel over on Lover's beach- we even saw a lobster in the water. The water on the hotel side of the beach is usually rough and not good for swimming fyi.

The most annoying element was you could almost not get away from the TimeShare people at that point. Which was for their adjoining property- hopefully by now, its all sold up and they won't hassle you. Its not worth the time they waste even with free breakfast and the sunset booze cruise passes.

If you like to Party hard, there are definitely better located places by all the bars/clubs/restaurants. If you want some peace and perfect quiet, probably you should try looking in the San Jose del Cabo area at one of the bigger easy going resorts. If you want a fun, beautiful, easy going and close to everything hotel this is your winner :)

The next time I go to Cabo San Lucas, this is where I will be staying again :)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Posada Real Los Cabos
Posada Real Los Cabos
#22 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!