“Very nice hotel but a TERRIBLE concierge”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed in Finisterra week of Christmas. The location is fantastic! you wake up to the sounds of the ocean and beautiful view from the room. The restaurant is fabulous - great views and the breakfast buffet lovely. Facilities and rooms are maintained clean. And staff helpful. ....Unfortunately there are some negatives that take away from the otherwise enjoyable experience which I hope they will address:

1) A very unprofessional and un-helpful concierge. All days of our 4 night stay, we found the same guy - he was only interested in selling us promotions and pretty much refused to even book our shuttle/taxi to airport because we were paying for the shuttle with a coupon that Playa Grande had given us! I think the hotel should separate the duties of a concierge and a promotions salesman or stop claiming they have a concierge service

2) The bathroom needs updating. Very old stuff (example the toilet seat keeps slamming your back, caked-up paint (hopefully that is what it was!) on the toilet seat....you get the idea.

3) The WiFi works fine in the lobby but almost never works in the rooms. Ofcourse when you are in CSL it is criminal to be sitting in the room and browsing instead being out in the beach - but it is a useful feature if it works. In our case I wanted to use skype to call abroad and having to go out to the lobby everytime is a pain at night

4) CAUTION: they have telephones & a placard that clearly say in bold letters that 800 calls to USA & Canada carry no charge - NOT TRUE. When I asked the operator to check and confirm she said that was before March 2012 - I guess they changed the policy but never updated the signs. Also all the numbers on the phones (to call concierge, front desk etc) are invalid - you have to call 0. My guess is they changed telcom contract and never bothered to update the rooms and the phones

4) The beds are old and backpain is guaranteed

This is going to be a GREAT RESORT if they will just do these small updates and changes. In spite of these issues we will go there again if the price is right because positives far outweigh the negatives - I am just sad what should have been an easy 5* becomes a 3 for lack of such issues!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are equally good. But remember from your balcony there is ;little privacy!
6  Thank K S
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear KSINUSA,

Thank you for your objective review of our property. For starters we want to share with you that the person that you are referring to received a copy of your comment and after verifying other comments this person is no longer a part of our Concierge team and has left the company.

We are sorry to hear about your toilet issues; it seems that our team could have changed the toilet seat easily once reported. We did have very high occupancy levels for those weeks. The update of room and bath furnishings will be part of the upcoming conversion that will be set in different stages. We invite you to read other reviews where we have received high comments on our maid service and cleanliness of rooms

Regarding our FREE WiFi we only offer it in public areas and restaurants. In the future we will have the infrastructure to offer service in the room balconies and inside the units for an additional fee.

Thank you for your comment on the Toll Free numbers. You are correct we did change our providers and need to revise the tent cards in the rooms. We do have a tentative information card advising clients of the dialing procedures and new extensions.

We invite you to look us up next time you are planning to visit Cabo to see the improvements and new overall additions to the resort.

Saludos from Cabo!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,100)

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Can' t fault the place we had a fist class stay there ,
The hotel staff 150%, Dinning out of this world 1 st class,
Veiws out over the Pacfice breath taking.
I recommend this hotel and will stay there again Nov 2013
and return again for xmass

George Jeavons Rockford ill

Room Tip: just tell them what you want and you will get it
2  Thank george j
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear George,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value all our guests’ comments and having such a concrete and positive report keeps the motivation up for all our staff. We know we are putting our hearts out every day to turn things around and make this the best experience and value for your money, we will continue to strive for excellence!

Gracias and have an extraordinary 2013, we will be waiting for you in November and the Holidays again!

Reviewed 31 December 2012

When I saw reviews for this hotel after I booked and paid for it, I was disappointed because of all the bad comments. But, it was too late to cancel my reservation. However, contrary to the comments I read, the hotel exceeded all my expectations. Once I arrived at the hotel, I was completely happy to be in this hotel during my Christmas vacation. The service was excellent, the food was 5-stars (at Blue Marlin), and the rooms had a great ocean view and were very clean. The people were friendly and had great poolside service. Great and quiet location, right next to the Marina. The bathrooms were a little outdated, but nothing to complain about. In the end, I had a great time here and would recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Steve K

Dear Steve K,

Thank you indeed for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. We are excited to see that there are guests that appreciate our efforts and hard work in order to provide a memorable experience.
We value all the comments posted here and seeing reviews like yours surely cheer up our team and motivates us to continue to strive for excellence on a daily basis.

Great things are coming ahead for us here and we look forward to your next visit.
Have a superb 2013 and thanks again for sharing!

Reviewed 29 December 2012

My wife and I just stayed for my first trip to CSL. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly. First the pros: the most beautiful private beach with no vendors. Decent restaurant ESP the blue marlin. All staff is VERY friendly. During our stay in the evenings, we discovered a blind kitten that was near the blue marlin entrance. This kitten was an absolute sweetie and I fell in love. I don't prefer cats but she was adorable. I was concerned no one took care of her, but alas one night the waiter fed the kitty the rest of our filet my wife couldn't finish. I was SOOO happy. They treat her like a queen. If I could I would have taken her he with me. Made me feel really good. Kudos to the BM staff!!! My complaints: a younger crowd hotel lots of loud drunk kids but I don't mind that, have your fun!! Also some lady wore heels above our room which was loud. But overall a great stay. Safes in the room. Privacy and great service. Rooms are early 90's style needs upgrading but they are doing that now.

Room Tip: Choose one high and facing beach
4  Thank Justin H

Dear Justin H,

Thanks a lot for your objective review of your recent stay. We know that the Finisterra Beach is great for walks and sunsets and many guests enjoy the freedom to walk along "vendor free".

Our Kitty at the Blue Marlin is a recent addition. We had another cat but we have them adopted once the construction started back in September. The one you saw is a newcomer and well taken care of since she helps us out as well. Having the open hill surrounding the property and walking distance to the marina, night critters can show up late when everyone is asleep. We like having her around and some guests have share good comments about her.

As you know we do not allow pets, but she is fine. Regarding the younger crowds we did get many bookings for this New Year and considering our superb location and excellent rates we were glad to have the exposure and good comments.

As you stated we are working hard on our conversion to Sandos Finisterra All Inclusive and we invite you to come back and see us again in the near future!

Best for you during this 2013!
Saludos from the Heart and Soul of Cabo, Hotel Finisterra!

Reviewed 29 December 2012

My husband and I just arrived from our trip to Cabo San Lucas yesterday evening and could not wait to write this review, that's how bad my experience was with Finisterra staff!

We were greeted by Paola/Sofia(staff) who seem to be very understanding and care about you, but then you realize it's just a selling pitch. Sofia offered us activity packages at a discounted price as long as we gave them "90 minutes of our time to take a look at their hotel renovations", my husband and I agreed. We didn't decide to buy the time share as we wanted to see what our stay at the Finisterra was like before making a huge investement, and boy are we glad we didn't buy into their offer! There are other much nicer hotels - BEAUTIFUL HOTELS WITH GREAT LOCATIONS- for much cheaper.

After the 90 minute meeting we were given our discounted activity tickets. We bought 3 of their packages and did NONE OF THEM because they lied to us. Paola offeres us one package, but after we spent TWO HOURS AND A HALF at the time share presentation, they gave us everything we didnt pay for. They tried sending us out of town for the discounted priced deals - for example, instead of swimming with the dolphins across the street of the hotel they told us we had to drive 40 minutes, pay a $35 cab to get to another part of town to swim with the dolphins. I spent about 5 hours of my trip fighting with them because of the lies they told us regarding the discounted activities and to get my money back. I have to give the activities representative, Isela, KUDOS for being able to work with these people. Isela is extremely professional and genuenly cares about your stay - not your money (Paola and Sofia actually get comission when they reffer people to the 90 minute presentation, which is why they're so eager to hook you!). After you're hooked Isela is left to deal with the unhappy customers who were lied to by the Finisterra staff. When my husband and I went to complain, we overheard other unhappy customers dealing with the same problem - we were obviously not the only ones who were lied to. Isela was nice enough to return our money and let us know about other places we can go around town that we might enjoy - free of cost. Thank goodness for Isela! FYI, Isela isn't Finisterra staff - she works for the activity company.

Regarding the hotel itsef, it's worn down, the pools were freezing, only 1 jacuzzi worked in the 7 days we stayed there, and the bartenders at the Palapa were HORRIBLE! We were over charged for the HORRIBLE service we received. The rooms are basic, nothing grand. The restroom was leaking and the window was broken.

This is just SOME of what we experienced. STAY AWAY FROM FINISTERRA!! Don't get sucked in by their special offers - you'll end up paying more when you get there. I STRONGLY recommend looking at the hotels next to them as they are BEAUTIFUL and totally worth it.

6  Thank Betty G
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed in the timeshare portion of this resort last week. We loved the views, the staff and were quite happy with the large one-bedroom (two bathroom) room that we had. There are three very large pools but only one is heated. The week we were there it was not very crowded and one was plenty; people still lay by the other pools. The hot tubs weren't too hot at first but then they increased the heat and they were nice. I didn't eat but one meal at the bar restaurant and it was just OK. Happy hour was fun and while the drinks aren't strong, they are good. We did eat at the main restaurant and had a very good meal there - but we had brought our own fresh fish so I can't really speak to the other dishes. Sandos, a Spanish company, has bought the place is and planning major renovations. I hear they may make it all-inclusive and that will be a bummer - who never wants to leave the resort and visit the town? We would definitely go back to this place if it doesn't go all inclusive.

5  Thank Anne F
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Dear Anne F,

Thank you for your objective comments. We assure you that many people that has seen our high quality and cost saving All Inclusive programs in Spain, Cancun and Playa del Carmen have enjoyed outings to the town during their stay.
Our overall concept is to provide an outstanding experience and because of our privileged location we are fully aware that most guests will go into town some days during their stay. Once you add everything up from the current European Plan (no meals) vs. the All Inclusive program that we will implement you might be convinced of the savings.
This is an industry trend that is taking more and more acceptance worldwide. We can only invite you to follow up on the comments from guests after March 2013 to see their overall experience.
Hope to see you back soon.
Best wishes for the Holiday Season

Reviewed 12 December 2012

Since I was here last in summer 2011 they have made some upgrades and it looks like they are working to update older sections.

The view is amazing to the ocean and to the marina.

The rooms are fine but do need a facelift.

The potential is here but they really do need to pump cash in here to keep up with the other hotel on the private beach.

The pool is such a center piece of the place and it needs work. Freshen it up folks and you have a top hotel on your hands like it was 30 years ago.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank arizonaac
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Arizonaac,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. As you noted from your previous visit in the summer of 2011 and your October visit this year things have improved. We have a long way to go and money is being put in a planned manner in order to have a total conversion by March 1, 2013.
We invite you to take a look at our resort the next time you are heading back to Cabo. Hopefully by then you can see all the changes and improvements made either via our web site, Social Media or by the comments posted here.
Best wishes for you and your family for this Holiday Season