“One word - INCREDIBLE!”

Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Launceston, Australia
“One word - INCREDIBLE!”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed at Finisterra for 2 days at the end of May. We were a little dubious as there were reviews good and bad but we gave it a chance and we are SO glad that we did. The rooms had the most incredible view and were completely new. Super comfortable King size bed (and we booked the cheaper room). Spa bath in the middle of the room. When you arrive you are welcomed by the most lovely reception guys you will ever meet.
The Italian restaurant is amazing. Even in Italy I didn't get Caneloni this good. We had it both nights. It was my birthday on the first night there and the Ceasar in the restaurant organised me a special birthday cake with Happy Birthday written on the plate. Such a sweet touch that they didn't have to do.

The most amazing service we have ever received in any hotel/restaurant etc was that of JESUS in the other restaurant, Don Diegos, and where you eat you (incredible) breakfast. He was welcoming, friendly, genuinely interested in us. We popped in here on multiple occasions purely for his fantastic service. He truely made our stay so amazing and we still talk of him and the hotel to others heading to Cabo. He is absolutely perfect at his job. Make sure you ask for him to be your server. He is tops!
Even the gent (I cannot recall the name of Im sorry to him) who took our bags to our rooms was so friendly and welcoming. Amazing people.
The shower in the room was huge and was cleaned spotlessly each day.
We had room service which was NEVER too much trouble at any time of the day or night.
Truely worth staying here. Maybe ask for one of the new rooms on the hill.
The pools are great and even the service by the pools is exceptional.
The breakfast is honestly mind blowing and incredible. Every fruit you can imagine. Cereal. Yoghurt. Hot meals. Pancakes. Rice. Curry. Cheese. Pastries. Granola. The list goes on and on and on. Unbeatable.
We cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the new rooms on the hill. They are so beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MeganAndTristan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Although it has an exceptional location near the Marina, the hotel is being remodeled so there are workers all day even on Saturday. The food was good. The rooms are very old. Avoid the sea on the hotel beach, since it is open sea is very dangerous to swim in it.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank JoseGerardo
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your point.

We are in the finishing touches of our remodeling and many things have been accomplished. We have tried to keep the noise levels to a minimum but we recognize that there are certain works that must be done that require machinery. The good news is that we are almost done!
We hope that you can stop by in your next visit to see what we have created.
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed in this resort last week and it was a very beautiful place to stay at. Have been to higher end resort in Cancun but none in Cabo I can compare with. But we love how the resort wraps around the hill allowing views on both the Pacific side and Marina side. The landscape is really nice with higher and lower grounds that are designed to be so easy to get around. The resort size is perfect - not too big. You don't want to be tired just walking between restaurants / pools within the resort. As for restaurants, Don Diego is my favourite. Not a big fan of Blue Marlin which is too formal for a relaxing stay. I love the variety of choices and quality of food at Don Diego, the decor, the view. And we were also given access to the VIP room (since it's low season) which was a bonus as the room must have been finished for a few weeks max. It was like going to a show home with the most hip and modern decor. Love the pools, love the food by the pool and the restaurant by the beach - that's breathtaking. Not sure if the rooms are already renovated or not. My friend's has a 2 queen's with updated beddings and I was told that's the only 2 queen config in the block. We got 2 double beds with the old floral beddings. We got over it after a day or two. And free WIFI is in more places than they promised. I was able to take picturse and post on Facebook on the beach and in my balcony.

The construction noise was noticeable but didn't bother me. Neither the workers walking around bothered us. Maybe I came prepared for them. It's low season and there were very few people so it always felt like we were in a private pool by ourselves, private beach by ourselves.

As far as tipping, when we did that in Cancun, it was obvious the servers were appreciative of the tipping. While this time around, we did tipped an average of $2 per person per meal and it didn't feel like it was appreciated. Not sure what the expectation was. To the contrary of others' feedbacks, I felt the team there was doing their job but definitely not "passionate" or "very friendly". Obviously didn't have much interaction with them to know them by their names. They come by, take the orders, serve you and that's it. Most of the time at the pool, we had to look for someone to grab us a drink and the pool was quite quiet. So I would say the food and facilities compensated for that. We picked a top rated restaurant by the marina to eat one night just for the sake of going out and eat something else. I much preferred to eat inside the resort after that meal. Love love love the food. Drink not so much. I'm not an alcoholic so I was okay drinking the juices as they at least felt normal. When drinking alcohols without giving you the "effects", then it felt like drinking medicines. If you know what I mean. Oh and the cockroaches do walk around - I've seen maybe 4 times? in public areas. The kids had fun hunting them down though....beats me. It did made me a bit nervous what maybe crawling up my bed at night.

And I don't know what it was but all of our swimsuits were left with some yellow stains from the pools. Not a big deal but more curious of the chemicals that got put in there.

All in all, I would still consider coming back and recommend to my friends. Cabo is a lovely city. I love the easy travel for the kids. The dry weather. The weather was perfect every day. Get shuttles arranged to/from the airport and resort in advance of your travel would be my advice.

Room Tip: love the higher floor views. Morning and night views of the junior suites looking out to the Pacifi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank snowymud
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2013

BUT who knows when we will be back :( We've been going there for several years but this year there seems to be a problem with us being able to use our Timeshare at the times requested. We would love to see what Sandos has in store for this beautiful property with views that can't be beat! We were interested in possibly buying into their new all-inclusive BUT if we can't get there (???) I guess this is good for the resort because it must mean that they are busier than they have been in the past. Not so good for people that have a limited time schedule and no matter what dates we give they cannot accommodate us. The staff at the Finisterra has always been the BEST and I hope that they are all still there when(ever) we are able to come back. Great place to stay in Cabo!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Calgary
Reviewed 25 June 2013

First off, I would like to start this review by letting others know that I am a travel agent and have stayed at many resorts and places around the world.

Sandos Finisterra is an amazing resort with the friendliest staff, great food, and beautiful accomodations. Like some of the other reviewers have mentioned the resort is under construction but the bulk of it is done. I would predict that within the next couple of months everything will be 100% ready to go.

The Don Diego resturant was really great, especially their buffet breakfast. It had everything that you could imagine. They also had really great dinner, I really enjoyed the lamb dish.

Some of the reviewers have mentioned that the resort was "all inclusive" and therefore that means that you shouldn't tip. Yes the resort is all-inclusive but anyone who has travelled before should know that you ALWAYS tip at an all-inclusive. Spend about $40-$50 on American $1 bills and use that for your tipping for the week.

One of my favourite parts about this hotel is that the resort staff are pretty much like one big family. EVeryone was always smiling, and talking so highly about each other. It was a really great atmosphere to be in. The nightly entertainment is a little lacking but downtown is a 5 minute stroll where you have access to anything and everything you can imagine.

I hope that whomever reads this review can look past some of the bad reviews on this site. I did not have one bad experience during my stay. I absolutely loved this hotel and I would recommend it to any of my clients.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Kelsea W
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2013

What a wonderful trip, and experience at Sandos Finisterra! It was our first stay, and really enjoyed all the services from check in to check out. We stayed in an ocean view suite, though the room itself was dated, it was very very clean and provided all the amenities we needed. The resort overall is going through a major renovation. The noise was a but much at times, but the progress they made in a week was amazing. We spent time on the beach, at the pool, and in the various restaurants on the property. They have added new restaurants, and updgraded existing facilities. The food and drinks provided in our all-inclusive package were tasty and plentiful. Many thanks to Fred, Alfredo, Norma, Jorge and the countless others who made our stay well worth it. It is also within walking distance of the Marina, which was unplanned, but a nice bonus for the overall trip. We look forward to visiting again to see the rest of the renovations.

Room Tip: Just visit with the front desk about which rooms are best. Our friends in a different room had no i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alli R
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 17 June 2013

If you like bedbugs and cockroaches you will love the Finisterra. Nasty place. Bring a gallon of raid and bug spray for your body so the bugs won't eat you during the night. The reason we got it is because it is close to the Marina and also is along the beach. The grounds are run down also. The playa grande next door is awesome but they had no availability. The Pacific side is also windy and the water is rough. The hotel now has MANDATORY all-inclusive charges for food. Can't imagine how many cockroaches their kitchens must have since their rooms are full of them. Really disgusting.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank waynesky77777
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thanks for your comments,

It appears to us that you came as a RCI member and this was your first stay with us. If our records are correct you were trying to get 7 adults in one unit (with maximum capacity of 6) When our Front Desk staff mentioned that you needed a second room and that we are an All Inclusive property you only paid for a Single room supplement.

The person with the All Inclusive bracelet then ordered food and drinks for the entire party and by the second day when our staff noticed the abuse on your behalf of the courteous service of the waiters that whenever they asked who was the food and drinks for (since it was way too much for one person) you told them that “it was to go to her room since she was not feeling good”

When our restaurant Capitan finally denied the service and asked your party to either pay for the food at menus rate or buy a bracelet you came downstairs complaining about the property and the service, and said you were leaving early. We did not charge for early departure and were sorry to see you go. Under this scenario there was not much we could do.

Trip Advisor is a respected company and used by millions of travelers worldwide to use as reference for their future reservations. At the same time it is known by all the suppliers that people try to use this tool as a threat to damage the entities reputation.

We will rebuke your comments as being bias since we have not had any such comment regarding bugs in the bed in years and surely not since Sandos has taken over the property.

Regards
Villa La Estancia
Villa La Estancia
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!