“It's all about the location, the chips and guacamole and the view...”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Riverside, California
“It's all about the location, the chips and guacamole and the view...”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Let me preface this by saying that for me, an all-inclusive in Mexico is not what a visit to Mexico is all about. I prefer a more authentic experience and since food and alcohol in Mexico is not very pricy anyway, if you are like me, staying here might not be the best choice. That being said however, my less adventurous friend was all about the idea of an all-inclusive and so we chose the Finisterra. We were able to secure a pretty good deal though bookit.com.

First off, construction or not, the Finisterra is beautiful. (BTW, we barely noticed the construction at all.) Yes, the Pacific Ocean view rooms are a bit dated, but the location and view can't be beat. You can easily walk right to the marina and a short walk through the marina takes you to where everything is happening. The staff were very friendly at check in and of course they had to do the obligatory sit-through-a-time-share presentation/free excursion offer which we promptly refused. If you are firm and tell them that you are not interested, they will not bother you again. But hey, if you have time, they are willing to offer you some nice treats.

Our room was not ready so we ended up going to grab a bite while we waited. The food at the pool bar "La Palapa" is decent and the drinks at the pool are strong and good. (If you make sure to tip, that helps ensure prompt future service.) The best thing about the pool bar is the chips and guacamole so don't miss that. Once we were in our room, the view of the Pacific was amazing and you have a lovely balcony from which to enjoy it. The air worked well and you do have a mini-fridge with sodas and beer and purified water in your room, which is nice. The beds are a little hard, but if you're drinking enough, who cares? We were able to dine at the "Blue Marlin" restaurant our first night, as they had a reservation available but it seems as long as you don't do it at the last minute and are flexible about the time, it's pretty easy to get a reservation. (We went several times during our stay.) The food there is very good and it was by far my favorite restaurant. They have themed nights which change during which they feature a different nationality of cuisine so make sure to check what those are in advance. We only ate at the "Tortuga Beach" for lunch one day and it was a disappointment. There are many choices on the menu but the items we tried were all bland. That restaurant is strictly gringo food but if you're missing home and/or unadventurous, it might be the place for you. The service was also veeery sloooow. The buffet, Don Diego, has a wide selection- we went to it a few times and it was hit or miss. Mostly miss.

My observation regarding the food overall is this: it seems as if they are serving the kind of food they think Americans do and would like to eat. So that means that instead of being able to enjoy all the flavors and experiences that Cabo has to offer, you end up consuming mediocre food all because it's "free." We were looking forward to the cupcake shop but it was not open in August and I don't know if it is yet. And you do have the option of room service (I think they put all the room service dishes together from the food at the buffet). If you are a big drinker, however, it is nice being able to drink as much as you like, though every day we were there we always saw a few drunken morons making fools of themselves.

The beach is good to walk on but not swimmable. However, you can easily walk to the cannery beach and hang w the locals or take a boat for a few pesos to a nearby beach. The pools are nice but they close quite early. Though it would seem otherwise based on their website, there is really no nightlife on the property to speak of. Well, there might be music playing but no one actually there.

Would I stay there again? Maybe. I would maybe come if I was with my kids and if we got a really good deal. The property is great and if you are unadventurous regarding food, certainly adequate. But if I stayed there again it would be primarily for the awesome proximity to town and it would be with the understanding that I would leave often to enjoy the town and local delicious food and downtown nightlife. I do thank them, however, for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: For a better room, stay in the marina view rooms... or a better view, Pacific view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank monkeyherder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had exceptional service in the restaurants. Special thanks to our servers Alejandro, & Mauricio! Also the chefs who cooked the fish we caught 4 different delicious ways. Amazing landscaping, food, customer service, SPA- Gym and setting. An amazing week.
Sadly while we were gone the entire day on our last full day at the resort a pair of pants were stolen from the room and someone racked up phone charges on my rooms phone (to local hotels, 800 number & other local numbers). The thought of someone in my room trying on and routing through my clothes and making a bunch of calls while I was out for the day is disturbing. I also reported the incident, left 2 email contact addresses, a phone number and confirmed that someone would be in touch. I have since written 3 letters to the hotel. I have STILL NOT heard a thing from the hotel regarding the incident and my stolen pants. Not even a note to convince that they care about the incident.
Also at this level of hotel I was amazed to have no tour of the room, introduction tour or any information whatsoever about the property, restaurants, hours etc, and we were just given keys and took our own bags to our room. This resulted in us phoning zero constantly to figure out where things were, where we were to dine on specific days etc.. Also the showers turn on in an odd way and with no room tour we had trouble figuring this out.
Once again an amazing over all experience, however I still have a bad taste in my mouth about my stolen pants and the hotels refusal to do so much as write a letter and pretend they care.

JEFF

Room Tip: Once the reno is complete Im sure all rooms will be fantastic, our were a little out of date yet lar...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeff O
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We arrived at Sandos with my sister and her boyfriend - my sister has a timeshare with Sandos globally - she had requested a daily all inclusive rate from Sandos and was quoted $130.00/day when we arrived we met a few couples that also had timeshares and they were paying $80/day-it took 3 days for her to have someone justify this-on the 3rd day we were upgraded to elite at no cost-the food was horrible the only time we had a hot meal was when we insisted that it come to us hot or ordered room service but room service came hot for lunch and dinner only- we ordered room service for breakfast and it was cold and the pancakes were hard their version of sausages is weiners? The breakfast buffet was the worst we have ever had - I got smart and while waiting for my eggs I had the lady put my hashbrowns sausages on the grill that's how cold it is the food does not sit in warming trays which was a little concerning - the property and location is amazing...we found the majority of the staff was on slow restaurant syndrome as it took forever to get a drink at the swim up bar-there were maybe 50 people in the entire hotel for the first couple days - our dinners took 1-1/2 hours?? It was weird.. all in all not sure I would go back to that location

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms 101-105 and the floors all the way up there is a huge air conditioner next door...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
VentasFinisterra, General Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments, we are truly sorry to hear that you had inconveniences during your stay, we understand that you were granted an upgraded in your room category thru the front desk and our guest experiences managers.
We have addressed your comments with the persons in charge of the Food and Beverages area; we really care about our customers recommendations and feedback.
Sandos Hotels had been awarded in the past for the food experience, and Sandos Finisterra is aiming to that as well, we invite you to keep us in your list of options for future vacations and for sure you will experience that your valuable comments were attended.
On my behalf and all Sandos family, we sincerely hope to have you back and be able to exceed your expectations.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Thank you for the exceptional customer service!!! Very prompt and very professional service received while booking our next holiday to los cabos!! A speedy reply from a very helpful sales team has put any concern at ease...We are counting down the days until we can relax and enjoy this fabulous resort!!

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank KyAlma
Glendora, California
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Our first vacation at the Sandos Finisterra, since Sandos took over the hotel. Couldn't believe all the changes. The food was excellent and the service great. We especially enjoyed our servers at the pool palapa, Norma, Claudia and Betza always served us with great smiles and friendly attitudes. Marino at the Blue Marlin restaurant has been our favorite server since we became members. It was great seeing him again.

We especially appreciated Raymundo, the young man who was in charge of getting us to not be lazy, but be crazy. He was in charge of entertainment. He even got me and my husband to do karaoke. The last day we were there they had a wonderful live band by the pool and everyone was dancing. The manager had a Mexican Fiesta, with great food and lots of great entertainment. We had dinner and watched all the fireworks go off around the town of Cabo San Lucas. It was awesome.

The new spa is absolutely beautiful. Emma gave me the best massage I have ever had, she was fantastic, didn't want it to end.

If you have never been to Mexico during there independence day, you are missing out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cindy M
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 September 2013

3 couples had a GREAT week at the new Sandos in Cabo. They have done a wonderful job of updating the hotel and their services are excellent. We asked for a bar to be open on the overlook at night and that night the bar was open even when there weren't that many people there. The employees at Sandos REALLY make the stay awesome. Angel at the front desk and Sofia at conceriage were a joy to meet and greet you. From the great breakfast buffet, overlooking the Marina, to the restaurants at nights, J Caesar especially, the pool bar/ restaurant with Abraham and the restaurant at the beach, with Joel, were great with a wide selection of food and drinks. The Pools and views were breath taking and everyone was extremely friendly. A BIG plus that we liked was we were within walking distance to the marina and the shopping. The employee's need to get the trip advisor cards and hand them out so we can remember all of their names and give them the credit they deserve. Sandos WE WILL be Back!! Gregg B

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank bryantravels
Hinckley, Ohio
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Food is just okay, breakfast is good. Nice hotel if you upgrade your room. Entertainment is boring, poolside music is Mexican which doesn't appeal to most of the vacationers. Where is the top 40 music? Play it!! Service is good, people are very nice! The location is right on the marina and within walking distance, if you can handle the sun and heat. Pools are nice and well kept, beach is clean.

• Stayed September 2013
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!