“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stay in CABO every year at another resort. This year, we decided to add on to the end of planned vacation and stay all inclusive for TWO DAYS at Sandos Finisterra. Let me start by saying the food was decent, the drinks were cold, the resort is beautiful and parts have been newly renovated. We checked and were greeted with champagne. The person that greeted us immediately started in with the time share schpeel. We are smart and know how to avoid that. WE BOOKED THROUGH EXPEDIA- were supposed to have round trip airport shuttle wich we spent 45 minutes with concierge trying to figure out HOW TO use it! Something about a voucher?) The manager, Marcel, explained that we had purchased a room with one king bed and no pull out bed couch. We showed him the confirmation and said "It says request- not required"...Ohhhkay....so he showed us the room on the ground level that would be similar to the one that we paid for. It smelled like a dog slept in the corner and was hideous. He then walked us to the FURTHEST building and showed us a beautiful room that would accommodate our family for an extra $100. Whatever, we upgraded- not wanting to sleep in a dog bed. We upgraded, paid part cash and part Credit Card and went to go eat lunch because the room wasn't ready. We came back at 4:30 (check in was at 3pm) to pick up our room keys because we had checked in earlier....We were told that we had to stand in line AGAIN for 45 minutes to get the room keys! There was a lot of people checking in but we had already done it! Give me the keys and we will be on our way! I guess they were pissed that we were only there for 2 days and we said NO to the timeshare. There were MANY people in the check out line complaining about the same things. On our last day, right before check out we were all packed up and we headed to breakfast when our room key DIDN'T OPEN THE DOOR!~ I called down to the front desk - explained that we were about to check out and the key didnt open the door. Gina told me I had to come all the way down to the front desk for a new key. I go down to the front desk and Eduardo gave me a new key. Guess what? IT STILLL DIDNT WORK! 2 hours later a locksmith came and fixed it.
HERES THE DOOSEY....Upon check out they had NO RECORD OF OUR CASH PAYMENTS THAT WE MADE FOR THE ROOM RESERVATION TWO DAYS PRIOR. (Paid part cash and part CC) Eduardo made up some excuse about 'management must have put the cash in the safe'. We spend a considerable amount of time in Cabo but will NEVER EVER go to Finnistera. Oh, and to top it all off- our family did a painiting craft by the pool one day and because I was so flustered at the front desk losing my cash I forgot to pick up my souvenir. I have called NON STOP since Ive been back and CANT GET THROUGH. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE- RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM FINISTERRA AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. NIGHTMARE! Shame on Expedia too for not providing airport transfer tickets on my itinerary....

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank Stephanie C
VentasFinisterra, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

We are truly sorry to hear that your Sandos Finisterra experience was not of your full satisfaction, we extend to you our most sincere apologies for this.

I was fortunate to contact your husband on the phone and I would like to thank you both for the conversation I had with him.

After reading your comments, we have addressed your concerns with the involved departments.

Regarding the comment of the smell in the first room you have visited, these rooms were recently renovated and painted, and that was the first time in use, maybe that was the cause of it, I went to the room to confirm if there is kind of odor and at the momment everthing is fine.

Concerning the paint crafts, we have sent them via a courrier company to the address that we have in our registration records.

We truly apologize once again and hope serve you again in the future and show that we really paid attention to your valuable comments

Sincerely yours;

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a one week vacation at Sandos Finisterra and we both thoroughly enjoyed it! The resort is located right where all the action is near the Marina and all the best restaurants and night clubs. We would definitely choose this hotel again because of that. It was very convenient to get up in the morning and walk down the marina and into the downtown area. The views from Don Diego's Restaurant are beautiful also as it is located on the seventh floor of the resort and overlooks the marina and the bay! Because we were in Cabo in early October, it was very quiet at the resort and this was exactly what we wanted. Our days around the pool were made very special by our two favorites Betza and J. Caesar. They looked after us very well and kept us all laughing! We miss you guys! You were terrific and made our holiday so much more fun!! Thank you!! We hope to see you next year again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kathy s
Reviewed 13 October 2013

So we had and 8 day 7 night stay. Airfare and hotel all inclusive everything includes. It was a great deal. We started off in a jr suite ocean view. The view from the balcony was beautiful. Now the room wasn't so great. The safe didn't work. The room smelt musty. It was older. The shower I had to call and figure out how to work it. The water thing that was supposed to filter the water SUCKED!
After two days we paid to up grade (got a great deal to up grade our last 5 night.). The new room was more clean home like feeling. Not much of a complaint with the new room except we had no shower door.
The food was good some days others not bit that can be with any resturant depending ob the cook. Although the Tortuga down by the water I had the biggest complaint about. The bar tender licked his fingers quit a few times after making drinks and then touched the cups ewww. Don diego Sucked. The service was good but food not so much. Order room service for breakfast. Although one day we waited for it and it bever came.
Bring you own one dollar bills cause if u aak for change they say they only have fives cause they want u to tip them in fives. Sorry with me that ain't gonna happen.
The location is soo perfect. Did the time share thing was agood but we hadn't even been there 24hours to see if we wanted it.
House keeping didn't come one day.
So here is the overall. The upgraded rooms are awesome. Order room service for breakfast. The CASINO SHOW IS AWESOME. Alex the pool guy is funny exspecially for us californis people who won bingo every day we played. Kids club seems cool didn't get a chance to use it but seen other kids there who were having fun. The pinata time was soo cute and fun. Drinks were ok although one drink didn't seem to have acohol and come to find out it didn't because the bottle was display. Timeshare not for us. But could be for others. Great pool service. Lastly they bang on the doors for room service they should knock softly first then louder. Over all I would go back!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank familytrips17

Dear reviewer:

We thank you for bringing to our attention the feed back of your vacations, I am sorry that we did not fulfilled every single aspect of your stay and I do apologize for that.

We at Sandos encourage our guest to fill up the guest survey available in the properties and truly believe and follow up on them, your comments had been addressed with the involved departments and I assure you that your contribution will be used to improve.

We thank you for letting us know that you would come back, and pope to have again as a guest at Sandos Finisterra.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Recommend Tipping. Resort is beautiful!!! You don't have to leave the property unless you want to. Food was amazing. easy check in, greeted with champagne. Did not get asked once to do timeshare. Check out was even easier. They gave us a one day pass at check out to enjoy the pool or restaurants while we waited the two hours for our shuttle to take us back to airport. Every room had a water cooler! Mini fridge stocked. We even left the maid a $5 bill and a note to keep our fridge stocked with tecate and club soda instead of the just sodas and two beers. Loved Don Diego for breakfast and Agave for Lunch. Did not eat dinner at resort as we ate in town. $10.95 lobster at Crazy Lobster. Cheaper to eat and drink in town vs. the marina. The marina food is a bit pricey. Everything is wallking distance or u can get $4 water taxi to Medano. Had Sushi at medano at Baja cantina grill sat on swings. Entertainment at resort was ok, kinda cheesy for our taste, good for older couples or families but they were very talented and put on good shows. Did not go to nightclub. The pools and restaurants always had plenty of room never had to wait for a chair, or table. service was fast. Norma and Angie at the pool were the best. Norma brought us 5 margaritas at a time! All inclusive is the way to go. not having to deal with a check after every meal or drink was amazing. 24 hour room service!! ordered room service at 2 am after some late nights!!! We definitely got our moneys worth with food and alcohol. There is so much more good to say about Sandos Finisterra. Bring lots of tipping $ singles 5 and 10's we never had to deal with pesos, not even in town. In town every restaurant serves bottled water, we did cash everywhere never had to deal with credit cards or debit cards, we only brought cash. Felt very safe even at night.

Room Tip: They upgraded us to Marina View. Perfect! all rooms seemed to have good views no matter where you w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank M B
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon one months ago. We got an unbelievable deal on the all inclusive 7 night stay WITH airfare from Seattle for two of us for right around $2,000! Since the price was so great our expectations were pretty low to be honest.

Sure this is an "older" resort but they are doing alot to upgrade it- like the nigth club on the cliff above the hotel- pretty awesome. The LOCATION of this hotel is perfect. Far enough away from the strip of downtown Cabo San Lucas but close enough to walk there in 10-15 minutes and directly accross from the marina which makes it really convenient to take a boat ride, go scuba diving etc. The pools were spotless and beautiful. Our room (like most) looked out over the Pacific and the pools and the balcony was a great size, big enough to relax on the chairs provided.

How great could the food be for the price we paid for the package? IT WAS AMAZING. We are admittedly- food snobs and we were just blown away by the options at the different restaurants.
We didn't have one single meal that we were unhappy with. In fact, there were a few times when I thought "this is too good to be true...am I going to get a bill at the end of this stay for all these great meals?" OH, and two words- "Breakfast Buffet"!!! SOOOO awesome. Of course we left tips for the great service by the wait staff- super friendly people. We had an issue with the safe in our room not resetting and the staff came up and fixed it within minutes.

The only thing that bummed me out a bit was at our arrival they tried to get us to go through the timeshare thing and were very aggressive. This is just the culture of the resorts down there, once they realize that you are not interested at all they back off and remember you and wont bug you again- you just have to communicate that you have no money for a time share! lol

We DID do a timeshare presentation at another resort though and got a bunch of free stuff, including rides to and from the airport! We got to swim with dolphins, go on a dinner cruise and massage at a different resort, I would say for 1.5 hours of sitting and listening a sales pitch it was TOTALLY worth it. Again, you just have to tell them you are broke and they realize you arent buying.

Anyway, after all this- I would say I would even consider buying a timeshare at Sandos based on our amazing honeymoon there. My wife and I are planning on returning for our 1 year anniversary and I think we will stay at Sandos based on the location, food, service and price.

Can't wait to return!
Ken and Erin

Room Tip: maybe ask for a newly remodeled room?
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ken S
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I realize it's hard to please everyone but, honestly, this resort is beautiful! The newer section up the hill is amazing! We booked an ocean view jr suite but got upgraded to a Finisterra Suite day 2 (Thank you, Marcel!) These rooms have a beautiful view of the marina and are close to Don Diego and Blue Marlin restaurants, the Spa (which is out of this world!) and a smaller, more private pool with a bar. You could not ask for better service from each and every staff member at Sandos Finisterra. They go out of their way to make sure you have a pleasant stay. The food was really good overall. As far as timeshare hassle....just say "I am not interested"! The beach here is very nice and great for walking to view the beautiful ocean waves. No swimming, tho! Great location and a quick walk to the marina. They are still updating the ocean view rooms but everything is kept clean as a whistle! Best of all, we met some really awesome Canadian and Oregon friends who loved our Louisiana accents!! Looking forward to a return visit!

Room Tip: Finisterra Suites up the hill are beautiful and modern if that's what you prefer. The ocean view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank FArrant71270
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Here is a break down of our stay here for a week.

Check in - after a long flight and little to eat we just wanted to relax. After checking in at reception, they sent us to the concierge. The lady at the concierge started discussing appointments for Time share property viewings. We told her we would like to come back in a few hours after we have freshened up and book it then. She told us it will take a couple of minutes. Turns out, it took about 20 minutes more while we booked it.

Rooms - we had a junior ocean view suite. The room had received an uplift and the view was absolutely beautiful. You could see the pools and the ocean from the balcony.

Restaurants -the service at Don Diego and the pool side main bar and restaurant was perfect. Alfredo at the bar makes some of the best drinks I have had in a while. Servers are very helpful in these two restaurants. The Tortuga restaurant is awful. We were sat and ignored twice by the servers at the restaurant. During the day if you choose to use this bar instead of the main pool side bar, the bartender is almost certain to ignore you or carry on with his work. You need a reservation for dinner at this place and the Blue Marlin Italian restaurant. I think during off season, they are open every other night. The food at Blue Marlin is nothing special. Just an average Italian menu of pizzas and pastas.

Wifi - this was by far our biggest issue. Even though they advertise to be a Wifi hotel, they are NOT. There was no Wi-Fi in our entire floor and the only place we seemed to get any reception was the top restaurants and the reception and one of the pool areas. It was very frustrating to be leaving your room to check emails. What's worse was that they don't have any lobby computers the guests could use.

Mishaps - one of the nights our water cooler in our room broke. Room service sent someone to fix it. The person wiped the cooler down and the floor and left. After we came back from the town several hours later, the water cooler had been entirely removed from the room. We had no drinking water in the room. The reception said they shall fix it. Next morning we were supposed to go para sailing but one of us drank the tap water the night before and got sick. And the water cooler was still not in our room after breakfast. After several trys Marcel, one of the hotel managers helped us out and was very accommodating.

Entertainment - Raymondo is an awesome entertainer. He has high energy and ready to party nomatter how busy or how slow it is.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Wish9009

Dear Guest:

We thank you for bringing to our attention the feed back of your vacations, I am sorry that we did not exceeded your expectations.

Concerning Wi Fi we are in the process of increasing the coverage of all the areas and also the rooms, regarding food and service adjustment were made and we got immediate results.
We have already coordinated workshop and practices to avoid repeating the mistakes that you pointed out.

My sincere apology and we thank you for taking the time to let us know about experience and we hope to be in list of choices for future vacations.

Sincerely yours,