“Do not recommend”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

UGH… We spent a little more $$ to stay here than the last resort we went to thinking that we would love it and it would be super classy.
When we arrived early, there was no room ready even though we had specifically asked for early check-in. The staff at check-in were not very nice or efficient. We were told to go eat while we waited, but when my hubby asked for details on where to eat there, we were told we would have to wait till we came back and had a "meeting" with her! (when we came to meet her, it was basically her convincing us to go to timeshare presentation). There are two places to go eat during the day. We went to the "turtle" and waited a half hour for water and some chips. They were SO slow and we were SO hungry. And things on the menu, they didn't have. There was no place to go and grab a snack, you had to go look at a menu and wait for a server to take your order. It took forever!!
After 7 hours, despite the resort seeming empty and hardly anyone around, we were able to get a room on the 4th floor. The view was technically an ocean view so we were okay with that..... we had no stock in our little fridge and the little water jug leaked all the time. But the room was okay and comfortable enough for me. Slept actually amazingly – that is until each morning 8am drilling, stomping and banging from above would wake us. Every. Day. We did complain a couple of times since it’s a bit early for the ruckus but nothing happened to change it. Also, the cleaners didn't seem to do much - we sometimes didn't receive fresh towels and would be tying to dry off with a tiny cloth!! I don't know what that was about, it's just towels!
The pools were nice and the beach was always pretty much empty. So there was lots of privacy. And you could always get a chair. The ocean is ferocious here though. So do not try to swim here or you will drown for sure. Again – if you want to get a snack or think a server is going to come around to offer you anything, plan to wait it out.
The buffet was terrible. I was sick a lot and we ended up going off resort to eat a number of times. I am gluten intolerant and I don’t have that high of expectations – but the food was tasteless and they didn’t have warmers. They would run out of dishes or a food item and they would stay empty! The breakfast buffet was not good either... I expected a lot of fresh Mexican food and there was hardly any. If I asked to clarify a dish had no wheat in it – they would say no and I would still get ill. They had 2 a la carte options – the day we went to book the lady informed us it was Mexican. When we went later that evening very much excited to eat it– they said no. It is Italian tonight. They alternate. Every single item had wheat in it and I could not have anything off the menu – which I understand if it is pasta etc – but not once did anyone make an effort to get me some chips and salsa or just anything so I could have something at least. Even my husband was getting frustrated, he said his pasta was cold, no flavor and like a soup. I will mention that the view you have off the buffet area is fantastic. And the servers were very kind to us.
Other than the location – the resort was a huge disappointment. We did like the area. You could easily walk to places and feel that you are quite safe. There are some nice swimmable beaches a short water taxi ride away…. Note never pay more than 4.00/each for a ride!! The marina was close to the resort. The actual busy part of the marina with shops etc is about a 15 – 20 min walk away. We loved that bit. We would take a walk down there all the time to check out shops and look for food!
I think there is some potential for this to be a nice resort but our experience was not so good, :(

2  Thank PaivasGirl
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear PaivasGirl;

We are deeply sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected. We thank you for your comments, we already revised every single detail with the different departments. It was unfortunate that during your stay we did not have a chance to speak to you in person.

I will be more than happy to be able to speak with you on the phone, please contact me thru the mail address that I sent to you on a private message

Our sincere apology, we thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Kindest regards from Cabo.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We arrived yesterday to celebrate out Anniversary. We were married in Cabo. The check in was a nightmare. The ladies at the front desk told us we didn't have the right paperwork and would not check us in. After no help from them, multiple international calls and Internet sites they said "yes this is the paperwork we will check you in now. I called a week ago to verify we would be in the new part of the hotel with a king bed. Assured that was taken care of, now that we are here, they say our room has double beds and is definitely after being taken to our room 3 hours later a dive. They say they can't get us into a room with a king. This place is NOT sold out and it's just no one wanting to help. While waiting for a room, we go to the pool restaurant to be told they have no Malibu for drinks. At dinner, at the only restaurant open on Thursday they dont have Malibu or Tanquerie for my husband. The food is good however. After pleading to everyone, the concierge Magdalena came to us and said her supervisor called the hotel supervisor and today we will be moved into a king room. We requested to speak to a manager multiple times yesterday and was told there was not one on site and as of right now have not heard from one. Interesting is that after dinner we walked around and found the newer part of the hotel. You can see there are MANY empty rooms and a wonderful buffet restaurant that is open and a walk up bar that assured us they had cases of Malibu and Tanquerie. I have been in the travel industry for almost 20 years and have never experienced anything like this. This hotel and their staff needs some training on customer service and inventory. We even resorted to calling other hotels but since we cannot get our money back will stay. Hopefully today will be a better day and the start to a great anniversary. Will update for sure on today's events. I definitely wouldn't at this time recommend to a

1  Thank ConciergeofTravel
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear ConciergeOfTravel;
We apologize for the inconviniences you went through when you arrive at the resort.
As soon as we read your situation on facebook, Abraham our chief concierge made a phone call to get an appointment with you, and we arranged to move you to a king size bed room the day after your arrival, Friday the 22nd.

According to your review, the rooms that you mention at the newer part of the hotel , are the Finisterra Suites, these rooms category were reserved for next days arrivals.
We will contact you for other details understading that you are still at the hotel. Already called your room and left a recent message aswell.

We will make sure that you will have a great time for the rest of your stay .
Kindest regards from Los Cabos.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

First time to Cabo for my hubby and I. We were celebrating our 45th anniversary. We were staying over the Cupcake House. First day was a very long one, and just as we were going to bed the entertainment started at the small stage, right outside our room. It was so loud, there was no sleeping at all, the music lasted till 2 am. We moved the next day, to an ocean view room, that was very nice! My husband was going fishing the next morning, and we arranged a wake-up call, alas our phone didn't work! We complained several times, finally on our last day, they brought up a phone that worked! Our mini bar was locked, took 3 days for someone to finally come and open it. The breakfast at Don Diegos was cold every morning! Getting any pool service was impossible, unless you were down by the pool bar. The Agave restaurant was by far the best food available. The grounds were beautiful! Very nicely done! The spa was wonderful, along with the staff, we were taken very good care of at the spa, Alberto was superb. I'm afraid we probably won't return to this hotel again, too many problems.

Room Tip: Don't stay over the Cupcake House, unless you like to party very late!
2  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Good: Location and The newly renovated part of the hotel is awesome!
*Loved the views overlooking the marina from our room 4205 (Be aware of ocean view rooms! you may see the ocean, but they may not be renovated and the best views are often of the marina)
*Loved the views from Don Diego Restaurant & the food at Agave the best! (Food was pretty darn good overall, better than I expected)
*Loved the decor and landscaping! It was well done up at the top restaurant areas, getting better at the pools
*Loved some of the employees - Ricardo(concierge), Jose(bellhop), Abraham, Jennyz & Jesus (in Blue Marlin), & David (Agave)

The Bad: Some of the service
*Not all of the servers seem to care about serving you, some tried to avoid you
*They were always busy, but never seemed trained to really care about the customers 1st
*Pool and beach service was almost non-existant, unless you went to the bar yourself
*The pool music and games got very annoying, it would be nice for one day, but not everyday.

The Ugly: Check-in was a nightmare & the 2 1/2 hour (not 90 min) time share presentation!
*Check-in took almost 2 hours and then...
*They gave us the worst room at the bottom floor, with 2 double beds for our anniversary!
*It was a crapy old hotel room, with the "Kids Zone" right in front of it! Romantic right?!
*I think it is a scam to get you to upgrade rooms, which we did or we would have been very disappointed in our stay!
*The time share thing is a nightmare! If they would honor their deal in 90 minutes like they say, it would be ok because you get credit, but 2 1/2 hours is ridiculous! HONOR YOUR WORD!

Overall: We really enjoyed our stay, especially because of the beauty of Cabo, & the newly renovated rooms and parts of the hotel are awesome! The other rooms just aren't worth it in my opinion! The location was perfect and the food was pretty good for all-inclusive!

Room Tip: Make SURE you get an upgraded newly renovated room! The old ones are like crappy hotel rooms, the ne...
Reviewed 18 November 2013

stayed 2 weeks Oct 20, 2013. Celebrating my birthday as well as our 10 year anniversary. My husband and I only left the resort twice in 2 weeks! The resort is beautiful, they're just about done the renos, and the construction while we were there was a non issue. Staff everywhere were great. The spa is awesome, went 3 times and had 2 massages, one with Alberto and one with Emma, both were fantastic! Left the spa feeling light as air. They were very professional and obviously know what they're doing. Prior to the massage they have you prep by relaxing in the sauna, steamroom (gorgeous in the ladies room) and jacuzzi, it was awesome! Gym was great with amazing view. The manager of the spa was terrific as well as the gentleman who looked after us while using the facilities - don't remember his name but he was very hospitable and totally pampered us! We enjoyed the facility, grounds, and beach that we really had no desire to leave the resort, all our needs were met on site. Hats off to all the staff that made our stay that much more enjoyable, from the bar staff, housekeeping, serving staff to the GM, they really do make you feel welcome and special and are polite, friendly and accomadating. Betza serving by the pool was a delight as well as Claudia at the VIP area. Wish I could remember more names of the staff because they deserve kudos as well, like the 2 bartenders in the disco and bar by the entertainment area in the evening.
Our 4th time in Cabo and enjoyed it the most! The staff at check in were also great. We were there for Halloween which was super fun at the resort and in town. All inall a fantastic experience - good food great service, beautiful resort! hope to return soon

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We are timeshare owners with Sandos and normally goto Playa Del Carmen. We were in Cabo in February and shortly after our stay they open a Sandos in Cabo. We enjoyed our trip so much the first time we decided to bring some friends back with us and stay at Sandos.

Let me start by saying the view from this hotel is beautiful. You get the beauty of the Pacific Ocean and the Marina. It is so breath taking. The rooms are beautiful we stayed in the suites for the timeshare owners. Our view is pretty, but our friends view is of another building. They were told the hotel was booked, but according to the 10 people by the pool the next day this hotel is far from being booked.

We stayed for 7 days, day 2 and 3 consist of very cold showers. We booked 3 excursions through the hotel. The first being a sunset dinner cruise. It was 92.00 a person, but was well worth it. Great steak and shrimp. The drinks were included but if you wanted premium drinks (like Malibu or Absolute Vodka) they wanted to charge you $7.00 more. Excursion 2 was a fishing trip. We just wanted to go get some sun and catch some fish. It was like their goal was to catch the biggest fish. We didn't care what kind of fish. We just wanted to catch any fish. Our last trip we just went to the Marina spent half the price and caught all kinds of fish. Let me add that everyone else getting of their boats on this triphad caught lots of fish. It was like our guys were just looking to catch big fish. So biggest waste of $550.00 we have ever spent.
Excursion 3 was the biggest joke. It was a party hopper (aka bar hopping). It was VIP seats, cover charges included, premium drinks. $35.00 a person. The trip started at 9:10. We got there at 9:00 waited till 9:40 and no one ever showed. We left in our own. We were never charged one cover fee and every where we went we got VIP seating. We had an amazing time on our own. Let me add that Manuel did refund our $140.00 with no problems.

Other complaints room service is good if you can ever get them to answer the phone. It does take about 30-45 minutes. We preordered box lunches for our fishing trip the day before. They never brought them "Mexican mistake" was their only response. Also had pre ordered breakfast for room service at 6:30am for our 7:30 excursion. They brought our food at 7:10. Good thing we were on a private fishing tour we were an hour late with no lunch to take.

Gym, restaurant, and coffee shop doesn't open till 7:00 which is 9:00 at home for us. Bring breakfast snacks if your an early eater.

There are only 2 restaurants here. Both did not have everything on the menu.

We love Cabo, but won't be coming back to Sandos and it's free since we are timeshare owners (except the food of course). I highly recommend the Rui over this place. 100 times better service, food and staff.

Some of our favorite things to do in Cabo. Sunset cruise for sure, eat at Crazy Lobster, Pooches at the marina, Panchos. Also be sure to goto Cabo Wabo on a Friday or Saturday night LOTS of FUN!!

Pros:
View

Cons:
Horrible food especially for breakfast
Lack if restaurants
VIP only open from 4-10pm
Cold showers
Service by the pool
One place open for lunch
Drinks are week unless you goto VIP
Constantly lied to

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank eashley0301

Dear eashley0301;

Thank you for sharing a detailed review of your stay in Sandos Finisterra. We appreciate your comments regarding the beautiful views we have from the rooms, we’re very glad you like them.

We are sorry that we didn’t have the opportunity to talk to you directly at the hotel. But we thank you for the conversation you had on the phone with our General Manager.

We appreciate and thank you for considering coming back to Sandos Finisterra, and allow us to show you that your comments were useful.

We look forward to see you soon.

Best wishes!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have stayed at Finesterra 3 times and this last encounter as the new Sandos has me running for the hills. Upon checkout the security guard would not let us leave as they lost count on the number of bracelets we had for our room. He had a friend in a pick up truck, not labeled with Sandos or Finesterra, and he threatened to follow us to the airport if we did not pay the security guard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Nichole B

Dear Browniela;

Thank you for giving us your feedback, We apologize for the situation you went through when leaving the hotel, what you reported in your review was a real fact, nevertheless, the information is not complete. Just to clarify the person that you reported as “a friend in a pickup truck” was our chief of security just arriving to the property.

I will reserve not to mention all of the details but we both know that it was necessary that you returned to the reception because at the end you completed a payment due in your account.

We appreciate your comments and concerns, and once again, we are sorry if it caused discomfort.

Kind Regards from Los Cabos!