“Above expectations”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at the Finisterra the last week of November and the first week of December. This was first time at this resoprt and our second time in Cabo San Lucas and have stayed in Mexico many times over the past 20 years.

The property is gorgeous, perched high on the mountain and overlooking both the Pacific Ocean and the Marina. The grounds are well kept and the engineering involved in the building is amazing. Our room was spacious and comfortable on the sixth floor facing the Pacific and the Pool area. We watched whales from our room many days. Our check in was very smooth and quick, though others in our party did experience extreme problems with the process. We found the staff extremely helpful, though the front counter staff did create quite a problem for the others in our party.Which the Hotel management worked hard at correcting!

The restaurants were all very good as were the bars. I really liked the larger than normal poolside glasses used at the pool bar. The drinks seemed to always be top notch and for Canadians it was nice to be able to order a Caeser in Mexico. (not always possible)
The Cupcake Cafe was a nice touch but could use more staff as at times it backed up a bit but was always worth the wait.

The best thing about the hotel was the staff. Always helpful and prompt. They were fun to interact with and over our two weeks became friends.

The rooms were well maintained and immaculate. The bar fridge was well stocked and stayed that way everyday. The location of the hotel was great. A very private beach and yet a five minute walk to the marina. Water taxis anywhere ranged from 5 - 7 dollars. We did find people that had paid up to $90.00 for an arches tour and were in the same boat we just paid $7.00 for! Be careful.

Only thing I would suggest is to add Bacon to the morning menu. Two weeks there and no Bacon!

There IS very good snorkelling in Cabo...just not off the beach. Pelican Rock gives you some excellent snorkelling with fish species that rivals even the Mayan Coral reef. Five dollar water taxi ride from the dock. Also don't miss going to Medano Beach and the Mango Deck...a lot of fun. Another five dollar water taxi ride (round trip)

Overall Impression....would we go back? Didn't want to leave and we will be back!

Room Tip: Anything above the first floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,046)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here from 11-28 thru 12-3-2013. We had the most incredible time there. All the improvements are remarkable. Food was outstanding. We are not buffet people but don Diego for breakfast was better than any buffet we've ever had. El tortuga was smaller but not a buffet and had incredible fresh cooked to order breakfast. Marlin for dinner was the best but you had to have a reservation which I don't like to do on vacation but well worth it.
Great location,views of pacific ocean which has a private beach so no one selling anything or hasseling you. Also great views of marina which is just a short walk which we also enjoyed. We also walked thru marina to medano beach which is nice to swim and jet ski but so crowded and a lot of people selling stuff or wanting you to go fishing,glass bottom boat rides ect. They don't bother me and just say no gracias n keep walking. Fun to hang out down there but a million times better up on the hill at sandos finisterra.
Great service everywhere n room service if you want. I hear reviews saying bad pool service but they have 3 large pools down there and the bar/restaurant is at middle pool which is the warmer pool. You can order from pool bar in the water or other side which is walk up. Great shrimp cocktails and drinks.
We couldn't be happier with sandos and are planning our next trip

2  Thank Darren V
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I was looking forward to this trip as Sandos just took over management of it. While my suite was beautiful, the beds were comfy and a/c worked well. However the lighting is horrible. Can barely see to take a shower and if you need to put on makeup you have better light outside! We had a view of the marina and the dolphins over at Cabo Adventures. So there was always something to look at. I thought it would be noisy but we were so high up that we didn't have any noise. Now on to the food. I ate 2 things at this hotel that I like and that was the ceviche and the made to order omelets. Everything else was tasteless. I did like the coffee place, Cupcakes the barista was good at his job but he had such a sad face and never smiled. Drinks were typical for a 3 star all inclusive, domestic rock gut. The upper pool for the suites did have some top shelf but no one really makes a good drink. You get what you pay for here and if it is cheap that is what you should expect.

Room Tip: Get a suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle B
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Michelle B;

We hope you had a pleasant journey back home. We thank you for sharing your comments, with pleasure we will revise the lighting in the rooms. We will follow up on your comments concerning tasteless food and drinks in the bar.

We thank you for the notes regarding our Cupcake Coffee. The General Manager himself had a conversation with Fausto the barista, who usually gets positive comments from our guests.

We would like to contact you, if you allow us, we’d love to exchange emails with you.
We apologize for the situation and we thank you once again for your opinion.

Kind regards from Cabo!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have to agree with "convenient but nothing special" and "would not recommend" with a few changes.

Our room was very nice with a great deck. However it was located above Cupcakes. Starting at 8 every night and ending at 10:30, EVERY night there was cruise ship entertainment full blast complete with a "host" also at full blast. There was absolutely no enjoying our deck with a glass of wine. We had to find somewhere to go every night. We talked with other people staying above Cupcakes and we all felt the same. They offered to move us but it would be a downgrade. Oh that sounds good.

The food in The Blue Marlin (Italian) was really very good. The food was pretty boring everywhere else and cold. We just learned to eat things that were meant to be cold. Cupcakes is excellent but odd hours for a dessert/coffee place. 7to 11 and 4 to 7.

The grounds are beautiful but the pools are extremely cold. It was mostly kids swimming. No swimming in the ocean. Undertow.

We have to say the staff was all very nice other than a couple of the waitstaff.

All and all a mediocre "cruise ship" on land.

On a side note, my wife didn't use the spa because the price was DOUBLE that at home. This is Mexico!

Room Tip: If you are put in a room above Cupcakes, ask for another room unless you like loud "entertainme...
4  Thank Fred g

Dear Nobags;
We appreciate your feedback and review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we would like to let you know that we have adjusted the MC volume, so now our night entertainment has regulated sound levels.

In our property we have two heated pools. The middle one in the ground level and the other one is in the VIP section. We also have 7 Jacuzzis.
We have addressed your concerns with the involved departments and we thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants Blue Marlin and the Cupcake Cafe.

We are sorry that you consider high our spa prices, we are taking your point of view in consideration.

Once again we thank you for sharing your experience with us and for helping us to improve.

Warm regards from Cabo!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

The first word that comes in my mind when thinking about Finisterra is "average". There was really nothing existing about place rather than the patio in Don Diego restaurant overlooking the marina, it was a nice touch. That's it. Let me break it down:
1. Room. We happened to get the room that wasn't refurbished, on the main floor close to the lobby. Overall it was not bad, but the bathroom at first did not give me a cozy feeling. Very dark with an old shower curtain - for some reason it gave me an impression of not being very clean, although most likely it was just psychological effect of the darkness and old materials. However, when we discovered that we can connect to the wifi from the room as it was so close to the lobby, we got much happier :)
Air Conditioning: to turn it on make sure the room card is inserted in the device by the wall AND the balcony door is firmly closed and properly locked. Also, it is quite loud, however when you are close to the lobby this is rather a plus.
2. Restaurants/Food. We didn't book any a la carte restaurants, and we went only 2 times to Don Diego for a dinner. They have a rotating schedule of "themes" for their buffet, but frankly I didn't notice much difference between two different themes. This was my first time to Mexico, and everyone always said that the food in Mexico is amazing... Well, maybe, just not in Don Diego.It was okay. For the rest of the nights we were ordering the room service, which also comes from Don Diego. The best part of Don Diego is the patio.
Highlight: Rosalio who was taking care of us in Don Diego on one of the nights was absolutely amazing, extremely nice and friendly.
Word of advice: Do not order the breakfast room service if you have a tour scheduled. You may either receive it too late or not receive at all and spend half a day starving on some tour boat.
2. Service. The best guys were the ones bringing the room service orders. Cleaning services were not bad too, although the overall cleanliness of the room could be rated at 7/10. Unfortunately when my husband got sick and I asked for the additional blankets at the reception (this order was entered in the computer), those blankets never came in. At that point I was too tired and frustrated to follow up with the reception after a couple of hours and I simply covered my husband with the beach towels on top of the blanket.
Word of advice: when a lady knocks on your door offering to restock your fridge, don't tell her to come back in 10 minutes even if that specific moment in inconvenient for you. Chances are your fridge will not be restocked that day.
3. Pool bar. The guys who work there work very hard. I saw the same guys day and night and they looked very tired, although always very nice. Their hard work is definitely worth rewarding.
4. Beach. Nothing can come close to the sound of the ocean! There were almost no people at the beach because you can't swim in the ocean in that location. So, if you like peace and quiet, this is your place! If you want to swim in the ocean, you either need to take a water taxi to the Lovers Beach, or walk to the beach on the other side of the marina.
5. Pool. It was very cold, almost no one was swimming. Frankly, I don't understand how the sun was enough to warm up the ocean, but not the pool.
6. Location. Marina and a small shopping mall are located right in front of the hotel entrance, so the location was very convenient.
The bottom line: it was an interesting experience, we don't look at it negatively at all. The weather was absolutely fantastic, the sound of the ocean was amazing, sunsets were beautiful. However, this is not the place that we will cherish in our memories.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yferrum
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Yfreeum;
We would like to thank you for taking your time reviewing our hotel. We are very sorry to know that some of the services received were not up to the standards.

We are already investigating the subject you mentioned regarding the blankets, and we have shared your comments with our manager and housekeeping. We would like to let you know that we are working on the situations you pointed out in order to improve.

The restock of the minibar has been addressed to the involved departments and we added an additional action to have a better follow up when the guest ask to come later.

We apologize for the inconveniences once again. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us to be of better service to you.

Warm regards from Cabo!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

First of all I would like to say we are not that hard to please....but this resort was somewhat disappointing. We have previously stayed at 3 other all inclusive’s, two in Cancun and one in the Mayan (RIU chain). The reason for our disappointment is the lack of service you receive when at this resort. Let me break it down for you in point form

The pool - Swim up bar... LOL, the bartenders walk right past you...no kidding and the servers are working alone and need to cover 2 pools and the beach...not bad if you like a drink every 45 minutes. Not my idea when you are in an al inclusive.

The lounge area – Beautiful area, wonderful views. THAT’S IT. The bartender is also the waiter...the poor guy was required to make drinks and wait on the tables...REALLY. He also stated on a few evenings that he had run out of certain Scotch’s and the only tequila you could sip without lighting your mouth on fire. They have a wonderful selection of premium liquor...when we asked for Absolute vodka the bartender said those bottles have “Water” in them...no kidding.

Night club- advertises it opens at 6 pm...Unfortunately they do not staff it until 10:30 pm...A waiter comes in every once in awhile and takes your order.

Buffett – Boring boring boring. That being said the view is absolutely wonderful.

Agave- Rude and lazy waiters. Order off the menu as the 4 container buffet is the same every day.
Cup cake cafe....WONDEFUL. Problem ...its only open from 7am-11am then 4pm -7pm. I swear they do this to save money.

Rooms- we had the junior suite ocean view...get an upgrade if possible this room was outdated and boring.

Front desk....Wow they have jobs??? Rude and couldn’t care less. I went and tried to exchange a 20 dollar US bill into small pesos..she gave me back 4 x 50 pesos and a 20 peso...I said do you have anything smaller than the 50’s as I need tip money...you thought I asked for it to come out her wallet.

Time share spiel. No big deal...just politely say no three times and they leave you alone.

In general this all inclusive was disappointing to us and we suggest you spend a little more money and go somewhere else. By the way we spoke to couples from Vancouver, Calgary, Portland, Seattle and California...they all said the same...Disappointing and would not return. The main issue being the poor service, and lack of staff at the lounge and night club. We understand that we are not at a Sandals or Dreams but...we paid good money for this resort and were tipping...we just expected a more.

I think that alot of people who wrote great reviews need to visit other resorts and see what service is all about.

Room Tip: Try and get an updated room.
5  Thank 398Rick999

Dear 398Rick999;

We thank you for all your comments, we truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

While you were in our resort you gave us your comments for our internal survey in the computer at the lobby, we spoke to you and since that moment, we addressed your concern with the involvement departments, we spoke with the employees related to the situations in the Front Desk and also with the Bartender. We will do our upmost to ensure all details are improved.
We regret the inconvenience with the bottle of vodka. Those bottles are only for decoration, but due to the confusion that might caused we will remove them.

Regarding your comments about the night club, we would like to inform you that this situation has been fixed.

Once again, we thank you for your comments.
In case of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards from Cabo

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was worried by past reviews, mainly about the rooms but they are kept clean & are very modern with comfie beds. Amazing views of the city at dinner & breakfast with beach views from rooms, super quite beach (with no venders) & quality food. I can't believe the staff; friendly, service orientated and hard working. I hope the management acknowledges their efforts on making each guest feel welcomed. Things that I would change; The Blue Marlin restaurant needs to be spiced up (maybe Mexican instead of Italian) dinner should also be served at the Tortogua beach restaurant instead of the pool side Agava restaurant which is best suited for lunch. Every day I was amazed at the settings of the beautiful resort. Oh & the lattes (all coffees) were the best I have ever had, for the Cupcake café. Thank you Finisterra for making my vacation relaxing and enjoyable.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple