“Fantastic Vacation!”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The Sandos Finisterra was EXACTLY what my husband and I were looking for in an all inclusive resort! We stayed in a 4th floor Ocean View Jr. Suite that appeared to be newly painted and freshened up with new furnishings. The room was clean and spacious and, most importantly, we could watch the whales from our balcony! The bathroom and sink area were lovely and modern. We ate at the resort for most meals and found Agave to be our favorite restaurant, especially for lunch - Angie was great! Don Diego was fantastic for breakfast as well as dinner. The outdoor seating overlooking the Marina and dolphin pool made for a great view! The food was wonderful - we never went away hungry! The décor in both places was modern and lovely. We spent most of our free time on the beach, enjoying margaritas and watching whales from the comfortable beach chairs provided. The front desk and other lobby staff were great for exchanging money and planning excursions. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back to the Sandos Finisterra - hopefully very, very soon!

Room Tip: The Ocean View Jr. Suites are great for whale watching - just be sure to ask for a 4th floor or high...
2  Thank Katie C
There are newer reviews for Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

Reviewed 25 December 2013

My daughters family, my wife and I had a very enjoyable week at the Finisterra in late November.
We all agree that the location has potential, potential, potential. The resort is beautiful! The new section, in particular, is very pretty. Kudos to the designer and builder. A first rate job. The beach, pools, and restaurants are also top class. The morning coffee and view from the Cupcake cafe was a super experience and will be our best memory. The whole resort is very small kid friendly. We found the place clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and enjoyable.

Now to " what could be". It was evident that the staff was new and not very experienced. The servers will probably improve with time but we found the service in the bars and restaurants spotty. The poorest was in the specialty ones and the best in the buffet. The menus in the top restaurant were shoddy - weird in this age of computer graphics. Our waiter seemed to be more interested in fondling a bottle of white wine than in serving. Maybe he was a shill for the vintner? Overall we found the food to be passable but not memorable. For some reason the pools were not heated. We spent all of our time in the hot tubs which were slightly warmer than our municipal pool in Nanaimo. Even though the outdoor temperatures were in the mid to high 20's the main pools never got above 15. Way too cold for us. Another weird management choice.
In summary we enjoyed our week. The facility and downtown location is awesome. With a better administration this place could be great. I often wonder when such large amounts are spent on employing the "best and brightest" that places like this are so mediocre? All in all if I knew this place was run well, I would return, but until changes are made - nah.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Grospoppa
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Grospoppa;

May this note finds you well, we appreciate the comments you have made regarding your stay at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos.

We apologize for the service at the restaurants and bars. We are constantly working to achieve our guests’ expectations by training our personnel permanently in all the different areas.
Regarding our pools, we have a heated pool at the ground level and another located in the Finisterra Suites area next to Don Diego Restaurant.

At your convenience, we would like to contact you concerning your review, if you give us your permission please provide us your contact information or you can reach us at director.finisterra@sandos.com – General Manager or
webrelations.finisterra@sandos.com – Web Relations Coordinator

Once again we thank you for your comments as they help us to improve, we are looking forward to host you in our resort and to show that we really care about our guests observations.

Kindly Yours.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

One of the best all inclusive vacations ever. The resort was awesome, good location, great food, 4 pools, and super clean. I like to thank the following people, Mary from housekeeping, Lorenzo one of our waiters and bartender, and Freddy the bellman who always had a smile on his face. If you get a chance to go to Cabo San Lucas stay at the Sandos, the resort has everything you need for the prefect vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean view with balcony....
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We have been owners at Finisterra for 18 years. In the beginning everything was top notch, but as time went by the property just wasn't being updated. We hadn't been back in three years because of this. It was a pleasant surprise to see all the improvements that Sandos has made. The new Plaza area and Gym are fantastic. The views, pool, beach and staff are still as great as always. We will be back and have already reserved for next year.
Unfortunately there are some negatives:
1) We lost our original Finisterra Unit since that was remodeled and is now only for the new owners. We would have to buy more to stay in the area we had already bought. That seemed like a slap in the face to us.
2) The all inclusive is much too expensive at $135 per person each day.
3) The water to the faucet in one of the bathrooms was turned off. When I turned it on, water started spraying everywhere.
4) The burners of the stove didn't work.
5) The air conditioning was loud and ineffective. The summer would be uncomfortable.
6) The remote controls for the TV didn't work. It's a good thing we weren't there for TV.
7) We really miss the Whale Watcher bar. The Stones Club just isn't the same.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Okay I am CURRENTLY on my holiday here at the SANDOS finistera. I am here until the 3rd... This is my second time here and multiple times in Cabo. I stayed here last time because I got a REALLY good deal. In the past I sated at pueblo Bonita Pacifica and another at pueblo Bonita sunset. There is no comparison. The positive thing about here is the location. It is great. As far as the remodel? Useless to me. I am in an old room that I reserved a larger room my that I PAID EXTRA for. I reserved 3 rooms ALL king beds. My sister and father even after moving there horrible rooms STILL have double beds?!? I can not move my room because they say they only have one room like ours? And acted like I didn't pY for the upgrade? So my room is across from the kids club with no view and next to the employee parking that everyone jumps over the wall next to my door? Since we are by ourselves over here (sure no one else wants to get stuck over here). The room servive trays sit and the some of the trash that fell out when the wind blew the other day just sits.
AND what I don't get is what's the point of the remodel if you still are in the old rooms??? The hotel is as we were told at 40% capacity and I doubt even close to that. It's EMPTY here.... They told us the remodel was complete when we booked? Is 1/2 complete? Maybe.
Okay the rest...
Check in: it was fine for my sister and I. My dad had someone who couldn't get the rotten face off. I felt compelled to ask her what her problem was! Other than that everyone was really nice. As they should be...
Concierge / timeshare people were told by us to back off. They did.
The food: not bad not good. We know good food. My family has travelled ALOT. I mean ALOT!!! We know hotels and hotel food. So again not good but not bad. The buffet which is strange is our choice. We usually despise buffets...
Alcohol: limited and cheap... Went to liquor store and purchasing my own...
Visitor pass?!?: I have a friend here in town. They charge $90 for a HALF day for someone to visit you in your room!!!!
I never wanted anything to do with all inclusive now that I tried it I know I was right...
However the cleaning people porters waitstaff are VERY hard working friendly and courteous!! Again though as they should be.
I don't think I would stay here again. Sandos really did nothing as far as changes that affect me except make me pay for "ALL INCLUSIVE" deal which I imagine is sub par...
I would take the old finnesterra ANY day. Too bad the old owner passed away and it was sold. I had no problem getting an older room that was immaculate for a GREAT price.... SAD....
The SANDOS needs quite a bit more work ahead....

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Rosencamp
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Rosencamp;

We thank you for the opportunity to talk to you in person. We are already taking care of the situation. Our goal is that you and your family enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Regarding your rooms, your travel agent specially requested these units because of your service dog and the easy access to the units, therefore is what we assigned to you and your family. We are sorry if there was a confusion between you agency and your final needs; we thank you for letting us know that your father and sister are happy with the rooms they have.

For the rest of your concerns, we have addressed them with the involved departments.

We thank you for the comments you made regarding the employees and Lupita, the Wedding Coordinator.

We are going to make sure to create a great experience of the remaining days of your stay.

Kind regards!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

My husband and I spent 6 days at Sandos Finisterra In December 2013. When booking our vacation we requested king size bed, but upon our arrival the only rooms available had two double beds . I've read on Tripadvisor that this was a coomon issue. After looking at the rooms in older part of the resort we ended up upgrading our room to one of the new rooms overlooking marina. Those rooms are very modern and so much nicer.
We had no issue with the service. People were very nice and helpful. A $5 tip goes a long way when it comes to service, either you are at the bar , or at the pool side.
Dining: Breakfast was nice. Anyone could find something . Lunches were very good ( great selection at Agave and great sandwiches at Tortuga). On the other hand we didn't like their specialty restaurants : Mexican and Italian at all. I have had better Mexican food in Chicago. They should definitely work on their menu . After trying them both , we ended up having dinners at Don Diego, which served buffet . I recommend having coffee at the Cupcake Cafe. They serve different kinds of coffee, tea, cupcakes, donuts , cakes and cold sandwiches. You can enjoy your coffee outside on the patio overlooking the marina.
We have tried the room service , which was good overall.
Location is perfect. Very nice private beach, where you will not be bothered by locals trying to sell you junk (souvenirs) , although the beach is non- swimmable because of strong currents . Short walk across the street you have marina , where you can take water taxi to Medano beach for $ 3 per person or you can schedule your activities right in the marina for much cheaper than at the hotel. Across the marina you have all the bars, restaurants and nightclubs downtown Cabo.
If you decide to rent a car at the airport, the hotel offers free parking.

Room Tip: If you want to have a nice room shown on most pictures, you will need to upgrade to the newer sectio...
4  Thank TravWRLD

Dear TravWRLD;
We thank you for writing a detailed review of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and also we are sorry that you didn’t have a king size bed room, our highest demand are for king size bed. Thank you for the good comments on our Finisterra Suites.

Regarding our specialty restaurants, we would like to let you know that we have addressed your concern with the involved department. We are sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and we appreciate your opinion because it help us to be of better service to you. We are already working on some changes.

May your holiday season and the new year be filled with much joy, happiness and success.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was our third stay at The Finisterra. The first two were twelve and ten years ago. The first stay was so great that we decided to come back two years later. And also now.

Fast forward to now. When we checked in, the front desk gal told us that while we weren't on a room that was on a high floor, we could change to one if our assigned room wasn't to our liking. Ok. So it turned out our assigned room (a Jr. Suite, which is what we paid for) wasn't to our liking due to its location. We asked to be moved to a similar room but on a different floor. Long-story-short, it took "check with us after 9am." Then after 9am passed, we were told "We need to check with our manager." Then, "we will call you in 10-minutes," with me calling THEM back an hour later. Additional delays. We were finally moved. I wasn't asking to get moved to the new, remodeled section, which I know is more expensive. I was happy being in the now "outdated" jr. Suites because they are BIG. The room we got moved to was ok, but barely ok and barely an improvement from our prior room. And as we looked around at our neighboring rooms, almost all were dark, which tells me they are not occupied.

We had also agreed to do their timeshare presentation because we wanted to see the updated rooms. We are frequent travelers (even though my Trip Advisor reviews are only a handful). We were interested in learning about their sister properties in Cancun. Not buying a timeshare from them!

The location of the hotel is great. The food is decent. I don't think it's as bad as others have said. The grounds are kept clean and you can see that they are working to improve their facilities (we saw a jacuzzi one day that was dirty and the next day they were working on cleaning it out). Oh, and the "worker bees" are very good. We always made sure to tip every one in US dollars. However, I think that some of the front office personnel needs to improve their attention to customer service.

I'm a pretty reasonable traveler (please see my other reviews), but I don't appreciate indifference, which is worse than incompetent!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SFsoccermom

Dear SFsoccermom;
We thank you for taking your time to describe your recent stay at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos. We appreciate that you mention how we are working to improve.
We apologize for the situation you went through at the Front Desk when you requested a room change. We are really sorry we didn’t give you a specific time. We have addressed this matter to the Front Desk manager in order to improve customer service in the department. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Once again we thank you for reviewing our resort.
Warmest thoughts and best wishes for a wonderful holiday and a happy New Year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Posada Real Los Cabos
#23 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!