“Great value for the money....”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We are new members to the Royal Elite vacation club and Sandos Resorts and are not disappointed we joined...so far. Our first visit to Finisterra Los Cabos since our purchase last May was wonderful. Only complaint was they stopped the shuttle to/from the front entrance to the reception area. We "assumed" the shuttle service would always be available to us as they had it last year.
Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and personal customer service representative, Sandra. Throughout our stay Sandra was available to ensure our stay was a pleasant experience. Can't say enough about the staff and the property. The sales staff, Richard, Maria, Nelson, Chris (newest member from our home town in FL - whoo hoo) Christine, Luis, Jared, Jose Luis and "our lawyer" Luis Macias are the most professional group of people you will ever meet.
The view of the marina is breath taking. Each morning Fausto or Ricardo from "Cup Cake" prepared our special cup of coffee while we watched the sun rise. Shortly thereafter, off to the Spa for a yoga/stretching/Pilates class with Federico, who recently celebrated his 8th wedding anniversary! Breakfast at "Don Diego" with Carmen, Isabel, Jenny and all the friendly servers. We spent most of the day at the owners pool where Jaime made the most refreshing drinks. Throughout the day you can see the Dolphin show for "free" (another member benefit). Lunch at "Tortuga Beach" (owners only restaurant) with Javier, Fernando and the rest of the great server staff. Dinners we went to either "Don Diego" with, Anna (reception) Adalbert (maker of the best Spanish coffee) Alberto, Pablo, and Gilberto or "Emiliano's", named after Paulino, GM, who went out of his way to make our stay even more pleasant. Jesus, Karla (reception) and our friendly waiter, Raul were available to ensure our meals were prepared to our satisfaction.
We were so pleased with our first Royal Elite and Sandos Resort experience we already booked a three week vacation in October 2014 at their Caracol, Playa del Carmen and Cancun locations.
Enhancements are currently being conducted throughout the property. We are looking forward to returning to Finisterra Los Cabos!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy B

Reviewed 31 May 2014

On May 26th, I had a four night stay at the Santos Finisterra in Los Cabos. Santos only offers all inclusive stays. The value was excellent and no matter where you go or what you eat there is a "walk away" simplicity. Meaning nothing to sign which is nice as some all inclusives require quite a paper trail. Santos was bought a year a go and renovated to exceptional standards. It is quite possibly one of the most beautiful resorts I have found.

There are just a couple of things to consider. One: the ocean on the Pacific side of Cabo is very rough. So Ocean swimming os not always an option. I had just one swim in 4 days, and the life guard Lino stood by to make sure I was ok. It's a question of getting in and out of that crazy smack down tidal wave they get.

Second is the desert landscape. If you are used to a lush and tropical resort, Santos will require yo to see beauty in the simple desert landscape. They are Eco conscious and personally I like it.

Santos has only a handful of choices for restaurants. The food and service is 5 star, especially the Italian restaurant on site. The food there was exquisite. But due to the options you may grow tired of the restaurant choices after 3 or four days. Luckily the Marina and all Cobos choices are just a few minutes walk away.

I gave the room a average sleep quality as the Air con is rather loud. But with an open patio door even in late May I didn't need it every night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Finisterra is a very beautiful property. The views are amazing. The food is really good. The menus at the beach restaurants are very good. Have the giant burrito it's the best burrito I've ever had. The entertainment team is fun and makes sure everyone is included. Abraham and Erick are as nice as they look. The lobby could use a bar and a special place for Royal Elite members to check in.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Overall we loved this place. Perfect location, great pools, gorgeous rooms (get the Finesterra Junior Suite or better), and good times.

Cons

- There is a cast system here in wristband colors, not cool at all. Black = Elite, Purple = Suite guests, Blue = regular all inclusive, and white I believe was just the room, not all inclusive. There is a restraunt off limits to "commoners", only Elite members are allowed. Certain beach beds are only for Elite members, and room service is only for Elite members. This branding is probably my biggest issue with Sandos, this hotel is so much better than this and hopefully they get ride of this soon and eliminate wrist band colors alltogether.

- They have good tequila, however it isnt on the shelf, so if you do not ask for it, you are limited to mid-range tequila at best.

Pros:

- Jose at the bell desk took great care of us, we enjoyed his help and the service overall was great. The beautiful young ladies at the host stand in the mornings for Don Diego were a pleasure to see everyday, always a gorgeous smile on their faces.

- GORGEOUS property! Built partially into the side of a rock mountain, we were in love with the scenery outside. The landscaping was beautiful as well, we are actually going to re-design our backyard into a mexican theme based on some of the things we saw at Sandos.

- SO close to town. you can walk there in 10-15 minutes, but I highly recommend a cab for 2 reasons. 1) if you walk by the marina, you get asked to by something about 635 times. I dont mind it a little, but this alone is worth the cab ride to skip this event. Secondly, walking will kick your butt. 15 minutes in almost 90 degree weather is not fun, but is one great workout. I found that we cab it too and fro and spend our time and energy having fun :)

- It is right next to the marina, so if you need a water taxi, or a water tour, you are a few minutes away.

- Free WiFi. Classy move Sandos, thank you, we appreciate it!

We will be back!

Room Tip: Junior Suite or better! Skip the non-remodeled rooms until they have been touched.
5  Thank ParkerBeachLovers
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is an All-Inclusive resort that is fabulous. The views from the 7th floor are spectacular. You can see the Marina, Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean, all from the same vantage point. Service was excellent, as well as the food. No reservations needed for any of the restaurants and the food was definitely above average. We sat through a time-share which was done in very good taste, by Mr. Phipps. He is very knowledgeable and is not a high pressure sales rep. He did an outstanding job of showing the resort and gave us an education of the culture and development of Cabo. We spent 5 days here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would love to go back in the near future.
Rooms are all very clean and have just completed renovations. Great pools, workout room. Can't wait to go back and see the renovations on the tennis courts and the addition of the villas.

Room Tip: All rooms closer to the ocean have fantastic views. I believe they are reserved for time-share clie...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We just returned after spending five nights at the Finisterra on Monday. We had a great stay for the wife's birthday; had great service; but we are leaving 3 stars for two significant issues with this resort. We, as members, are returning in three months, and if the issues have been resolved, then I will update this review with more stars, and if they are not, I will downgrade this review. Here are the issues:

1) Our personal safety from slips and falls. Our first morning in our Finisterra suite with a view of the marina, the wife took her shower first, then me. The shower is a nice sized shower with a rain type shower head mounted in the ceiling. As soon as I stepped into the shower I immediately slipped, nearly falling, and not even a grab bar to hold onto. I let out a holy #!#$, and my wife said what, I said I nearly fell from slipping, and she said, me too. I have been in many resorts over the years, and have never worried about slipping in a shower. The shower floor has not been properly treated to prevent slipping in the shower. Every morning after that, we were holding only to shower door, turning on the water, and carefully having to place your footing in the shower to hold your balance. This is totally unacceptable, you shouldn't have to think about slipping in a shower. On another front, we used the spa several days we were there, and the spa is one of the most beautiful, well equipped spas I have seen. Now the shower in the men's locker room had no no slip issues, those showers have been treated properly, but as soon and you leave the shower, be careful that you don't slip on the marble floors with wet feet. Now on that morning after slipping in the shower, we left our room that was at the bottom of the hill and started walking up the hill. There was a light rain that morning and both my wife and I started slipping on the walkways and steps in the light rain. There were again no hand rails to hold onto. We then complained that my wife almost sprained her ankle, and they moved us to a room on a higher level, but again, that shower also had the slip problems. What are they going to do when El Nino sets in this year and it really starts raining? Then a couple of days later it was a hot afternoon so we decided to go to the 2nd pool with the swim up bar, it is very nice. We ordered a couple of Margaritas and was enjoying the pool while talking to some other guests. After awhile, I said I needed to use the restroom, and I was immediately told by these people, be careful, because the pool deck and floor in the restroom are very slippery, and they were correct. I cannot believe that for such a beautiful resort and pool, that they haven't treated the pool deck and restroom so guests having some drinks in this awesome setting don't slip and fall - running the risk of fracturing a hip.

2) What has happened to our VIP experience we were promised by joining the Royal Elite program. When we joined, we were promised that our dining, beverage and lodging experience would be above and beyond our expectations, and way above that of the regular guests. On our vacation last year - when we joined, we would dine at Tortuga Beach restaurant, and have some of the most wonderful meals you could imagine. When we arrived on Wednesday afternoon, we couldn't wait to go there for lunch. We asked for a menu and 2 margaritas. I was shocked, all that was on the menu now was pasta, pizza and burgers. Then when we were served our drinks, I said oh my god, what is this, they don't even know how to make a margarita in mexico, so I asked what they put in the drink, and they said orange juice, tequila and grand marnier. I said I didn't order a tequila sunrise margarita, and I then had to go the bar and teach them how to make a proper drink, where they squeezed the juice from limes, added some Don Juilo silver and grand marnier. Then our seafood pasta was served, I was even more shocked, two pieces of shrimp, two muscles, and dry flat egg noodle pasta with oil or butter, I couldn't even hardly eat it except for being hungry. The next day, we learned that from 1 to 3 every afternoon, in front of pool 3 they had a BBQ lunch, so we went there and they were grilling ribeye steaks. My wife and I looked at each other and said pasta is an upgrade, how about tenderloin and giant shrimp as an upgrade like we had last year. Then the next day, we went to the Whale Watchers Bar in the afternoon. The bar is very beautiful and supposed to be an upgrade for VIP members, but I guess now they allow almost anyone in. Last year at the bar they had 8 different kinds of Tequila with the top shelf one being Don Julio 1942. This year the top brand was Don Julio Silver, not even Reposado. In looking at our VIP experience, it is obvious that some bean counter came in and said that after spending 20 million dollars restoring this resort, we now need to make some profits, so we are going to cut back on our Royal Elite members upgrades, have them pay more for their all inclusive fees as compared to BOOK IT, or Skyauction.com, or Travelzoo, or some other discount website, and start making some profit; instead of our thinking our Royal Elite members need to be satisfied, because they have paid for their membership, and they are the ones who will refer other potential members to us.

SUMMARY:
The Sandos Finisterra is a beautiful resort, that is why we joined. Once we brought up our issues with management, they made our vacation right. I am not here to beat up the Finisterra, it is my intention to have them address and correct these issues so we can have the vacation experience we were promised when we joined. The bean counter at this resort needs to carefully evaluate where to cut corners. Does only serving pasta really save that much money for out valued members (they tried the excuse of saying that is what American's want), and saving 5 or 10 dollars on a bottle of silver tequila as compared to reposado. When we ran into Jesus who worked there last year - he recognized us, he is now the manager at Emilianos (formally Blue Marlin and now named after the new manager). He invited us to dinner - thank you very much Jesus, we had a great dinner. After dinner he introduced us to Raymondo the food and beverage manager. We agreed to meet him the next morning at Cupcake (fantastic) and he brought along Angel the executive chef. We talked about the problems for over an hour. Angel then said lets meet at Tortuga for lunch, and I will fix you a lunch you will remember, and Raymondo brought us some special tequila San Matias (awesome). After lunch we were introduced to Paulino the resort manager, who said lets meet the next morning at Cupcake. We met and talked for over an hour.

The breakfast buffet is great, but the dinner buffet seems to be a lot of beef and chicken fixed differently every night, and not even a Friday Night Seafood theme.

We really hope that they get the big picture and think of their members first, those who have made the investment into the resort. We will be back in three months, and look forward to the changes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William H
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at this property 4weeks ago. The construction is finished.
The rooms have been freshened, the pools are all back in service & the staffing has been sorted out. Staff could'nt have been more friendly. It is obvious they are trying very hard to make people enjoy themselves.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple