“Nice views, but not recommended for honeymooners”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I just took our honeymoon for 6 nights at Sandos, which we purchased through a Groupon. Our number one priority was to spend quality time with each other (e.g. Lounging and drinking), so we enjoyed the week. But, there were definitely plenty of cons in the experience that you may want to consider before deciding on this place for yourself:

Pros:
Amazing views
Beautiful and well equipped gym
Walking distance to the marina (try the chilaquiles at Solomon's landing and the Ecocat sunset cruise!)
Free internet access in common areas
Cupcake cafe and Emiliano's restaurant
A couple of really nice bartenders at the swim up bar
Nice entertainment staff (albeit probably more interesting for big parties rather than couples)
Sandos Spa moonlight massage (for a fee)

Cons:
Tipping - There is an entrenched culture of tipping, whereby the wait staff tends to treat you respectfully only if you regularly tip them. This is a frustrating pressure at an all inclusive, in which you are purportedly trying to get away from having to carry around money. But, fine, even when we did decide that we would give in and play by these rules, everyone (hostesses, front desk, wait staff) acted very inconvenienced if we asked for change for big bills (in order to tip). And I am not talking very big bills here, just $5, $10, $20 (max). It is like they expected us to arrive with rolls of dollar bills ready to tip them for every single service they provided, and we felt shamed for not having the foresight to do so.

Shabby junior suite - On the website, an advertisement notes that honeymooners get a free upgraded room if available. I decided to take my chances and buy a groupon for a junior suite "ocean view," hoping to be upgraded to a the next higher room category. I made my reservation five months in advance, and I called and emailed a combined total of 7 times to request that it be noted on my reservation that we are honeymooners and requested to be the first on the upgrade wait list. Upon arrival, we were given a junior suite in the main building, with a very sad looking bathroom and, well, not much to write home about. I was told that we got upgraded, which meant that we got a room on a "higher floor." I asked if we could be moved another day if a nicer room became available, but they said no, that we would have to pay over $100 per night for another room. Had I known the state of the junior suites, and that our "upgrade" never included the possibility of a nicer room, I would have paid the extra beforehand for one of the better packages. But after the fact it was an exorbitant rate. Oh and other honeymooners got some sort of sash across their door that said "happy honeymoon." Not us. That would have been a nice touch! We did get fruit and a bottle of red wine, but they didn't give us a wine opener, so it remained unopened the whole time and we had to leave it there. Just those small touches/attention to detail were missing.

No king bed - The king bed is NOT a king bed. It is two double beds pushed together. So there was an uncomfortable crack in the center. (I had also confirmed and re-confirmed the king bed in my 7 emails/phone calls...)

Brown water - The sink water came out brown one morning. We didn't have hot water another morning.

Shower curtain - The shower curtain/rod was rounded out and didn't fit the tub, so we ended up getting water all over the bathroom floor no matter how hard we tried!

Bed sheets - The bed sheets had stains on them twice. Definitely not luxurious. Just for the masses.

Loud air conditioning - The air conditioning in the bedroom sounded like a jet plane. Very startling when it came on and off.

Elite status - There is an awkward caste system with the "elite" status members. They have special cabanas they get to lay in by the pool, but they were almost always empty. They also have access to a separate restaurant and pool. I have been to other resorts with this type of differential access, but it was never so in your face. There was always a line or something you had to walk past.

Hot tubs broken - Only two of the 5 or 6 hot tubs worked, so they ended up being kiddie pools. And whenever we asked about them, we were told that they were trying to fix them.

No ocean access - You can't swim in the ocean... I didn't realize this beforehand, though, so that's my fault.

Personal concierge = timeshare salesperson - We felt like idiots when we were whisked away upon check in to meet with our "personal concierge" who went over the resort amenities as well as various for-fee activities in cabo. The, when we told her which activities we were contemplating (e.g. Sunset cruise) and that we would need some time to look at the brochures, she got pushy and told us she could give us a $200 discount if we had a meeting the next morning with the timeshare sales rep. We told her we would think about it, and she took that as a yes, giving us a voucher for the meeting. When we said "no" definitely, she ignored us for the rest of our time at the resort. Not really behavior I expect from a personal concierge :)

Okay, I have written enough. Again, we still had a nice, relaxing honeymoon, but wanted to write about these frustrations in the attempt to help others avoid them!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Irma_Shmerma
Write a ReviewReviews (3,010)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were longtime patrons of the Finisterra, particularly the lovely Whale watcher bar. We loved it so much that we named our yacht after the bar. We recently visited or shall I say tried to visit, to have a glass of wine and watch the sunset. First we were stopped at the main gate, then had to wait for the manager to approve us walking up the stairs to the bar for a photo. Finally, they declined our request to even visit the bar unless we paid $40. each, not including any drink. It was 6:00 p.m. and we could not use the pool or any of the amenities, just walk up for a glass of wine, which now would be $80. plus. What a ripoff. We are very sad that the place has become so inaccessible. We will not recommend it or return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LBurf1234
WebRelations_SF, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear LBurf1234,
We truly apologize if there was a miscommunication regarding the hotel access. Since we are All Inclusive, the hotel it is exclusive for our guests. Visitors are welcomed and allowed paying a Day Pass or Dinner Pass subject to availability.

The day pass cost is $40usd per person per four hours in All Inclusive to access to all our restaurants, bars and pools (except the VIP Pool and Tortuga Beach restaurant from 7:00am to 6:00pm) and the Day Pass is available from 9:00am to 6pm. After 6:00pm Dinner Pass is available at $60usd for three hours from 6:00pm to 2:00am of All Inclusive in our Restaurants, Bars and our Stones Club (Night Club).

Once again we apologize for the miscommunication, especially now that we have a new whale watchers bar on top of the hill with a better view and decoration.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information you may have. I will be glad to assist you.

Kind regards from Cabo!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

A fun atmosphere but could have been great if the service wasn't so horrible. The people at the desk and the concierge's were just plain rude. They look at you and talk to you like you are a piece of garbage. The same was true at Agave, the poolside bar/restaurant. The guy taking my food order messed up and put the wrong order in, I didn't get the right food and when I mentioned it they took the food back and brought me the right order. However, after that I received lots of smart-aas comments from them and the server yelled at me like I was a criminal and he was a detention officer whenever I asked for something. When the food came back, he asked, "was this what you ordered?" I said, "yes." He said to me with a wise-aas tone of voice, "are you sure?" It was like that wherever you went in the hotel. I won't stay there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Aaron G

Dear Aaron G,
On behalf of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel.

We thank you for providing information to us by private message in regards to this incident. We addressed your concern with the involvement departments, we spoke with the employees related to the situations in the Front Desk, Concierge and also with the Agave staff. We are doing our upmost to ensure all details are improved.

We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize once again for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We went for a wedding that was next door a the Capella...and decided to stay at the Finistera to save some money. BAD IDEA! This place is not good. When you arrive they were very nice at check in, but then you had to sit and listen to the spiel about timeshares and the pushy lady wanting us to go to the 90 minute presentation! it was ridiculous. And watch out...the new owners only put money in to the 7th floor. you will hear about the 7th floor the entire time! The place wreaks of old food being reheated and cooked. To top it all off...my husband got terribly sick from the food!! 8 people out of our group got sick! GROSS! Then to top it off....a very nice necklace was stolen from my room! I used the safe for most to all of the trip, but took off my necklace before departing the hotel in a hurry to get to the wedding festivities and placed inside my makeup bag on the counter. IT WAS STOLEN from my room. And someone had to have rummaged through my makeup bag to find it! No one entered my room except for my husband and I...(and as they informed us)...the maid (of course) AND the person to fill the mini bar AND the person to give you new pool towels. They infomred me via email recently there is nothing they can do. TERRIBLE!!!
I had a do not disturb on my door!? and all of our keys would not work...we would have to go down and get new ones every time. Everyone in our party on our floor had to! The best line of the trip: " I would have eaten tap ramen for a week, 2 weeks, and saved money so I didn't have to stay here" For the record...I dont do buffets because they are gross old food and all inclusive = watered down drinks! both proven at the Finistera.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank colbfreer

Dear Colbfreer:
We are truly sorry that your necklace was lost. We filed a report since you informed us that it was missing on your check out day.

The most important thing for us is to provide our guests with a safety deposit box free of charge, to keep their valuables in it.

Following up we did interview our personnel with access to the room and we didn’t find any evidence or behavior that could guide us to anything in particular.

We understand that you lost a valuable piece of jewel and we are sorry that we could not give you a satisfactory answer as you expected.

We sent you a private email to follow up with this incident and the other concerns listed in your review.
Best regards.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I've been to Mexico many times - and all-inclusive resorts as well. This place is definitely the best all-inclusive in Cabo! In fact, it operates like a boutique hotel with an impeccable staff and the absolute best service. The drinks and cocktails were amazing and flowing faster than we could keep up with - all served by smiling, friendly and personable staff. Food was great. Much better than you would expect in an all-inclusive with the selections varying daily- No wait and no reservations needed with plenty of choices. Beautiful place with different floors and angles and in the most convenient location close to everything. We enjoyed it there so much we barely left the hotel! Great pool time with fun social directors who totally engaged you without being annoying. Cocktail hour at the Whale Watchers Bar was another highlight where "master mixologist" Israel delighted in creating unique concoctions to suit everyone's taste - and they were most delicious!! I really can't say enough about this place - it was an incredible value and the bartenders, pool staff, activities directors and just about everyone there go out of your way to make your vacation a pleasant one - we will definitely be back!
Maria & Dave
Novato, CA

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Maria C
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Everybody was so wonderful! The second night I was proposed to by the man I love and they all made it so special, Mimi helped arranged everything, what a perfect moment for us! Rooms were beautiful and clean, 24 hour room service was excellent! We will definitely be coming back!
Jessie Garza

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank jessiegarza
WebRelations_SF, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Jessie Garza:
Congratulations on your engagement!

We are so glad to know that you were proposed here at our resort and that everything was special! We thank you for writing a review and we are glad to know that you will come back!

Please contact us if you need further assistance, we are delighted to be of service to you!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

If you are looking for a beach wedding this is the place for you. My sister was married here and yes it was a small gathering but perfect. the set up was B E A UTIFUL. The violinist was amazing. Staff couldn't have been more pleasant. Top notch accommodations. If wanting to swim in ocean then its not for you, current to strong, not safe but still breathtaking.

Room Tip: rooms in tower 3 and 4 closer to all restaurants and other towers closer to beach