Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$150
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$569
US$541
  • Pool
Tesoro Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)
US$151
  • Pool
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$581
US$568
Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$200
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
The Ridge at Playa Grande(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$330
US$323
  • Pool
Hotel Santa Fe Los Cabos by Villa Group(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$70
Los Cabos Golf Resort(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$97
  • Pool
Hotel Mar de Cortez(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$97
Hacienda del Mar Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$271
3,181 results
All reviewsdon diegocupcake cafecupcakeswhale watcher bartortuga beachwhite partyagave restaurantvip poolstones clubroyal elite membersfinisterra suiteswim up barmiddle poolocean viewtime shareentertainment teammichael jackson show
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arrived in Cabo expecting another amazing trip and had most horrible experience at Royal Solaris and immediately called Expedia and got amazing deal at Sandos Finisterra and booked immediately. We had the best greeting and we're immediately relieved by the front desk manager, Ulyses and Gina. Both were so professional, helping us get breakfast and to the pool where we could easily erase previous nights bad experience.

This hotel, while finishing construction, is beautiful, clean, family friendly, peaceful, and I absolutely love and appreciate the staff rescuing my family from what could have been bad vacation.

Gina and Ulyses are fantastic and certainly know hospitality!

Great place!

Room Tip: Rooms are suites, fantastic!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy836
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very pretty resort . Had the all inclusive package .The food choices where OK . I didn't eat anything that was great. The breakfast buffet was the best meal of the day. Cupcakes was really cute and the cupcakes where wonderful . They had some sandwiches if you were hungry at a time when the restaurants where closed. This happened to us one day . We went diving and didn't eat much prior to going out on the boat , got back around 4:00 and went looking for something to hold us over til we showered and dressed for a later dinner . They were not serving any food other than at Cupcakes. Most other all inclusive places we have stayed always have food available so this was kinda unusual for us. There was a restaurant that wasn't open, maybe for the elite members ? I really don't have any real complaints about this resort . Yes the "king" beds are two doubles pushed together and the air conditioners are a bit loud The worst part about the beds where that they were not comfortable, very firm .Our blow dryer was not working but I did get a replacement. I did not feel pressured into tipping while I was there and no one was rude to us. I think if you go to an all inclusive and treat the help like the "help" you may get treated differently . Some guests may expect too much , it is a different country . We are always very friendly with all the employees when we travel and many time make friends with some of them . We have met some amazing people while traveling .
They had cocktail menus with some good drinks on it , not use to that with some other all inclusive , usually no drink menus at all. the location was great , over looked the Marina and was walking distance to shopping and the mall on the Marina. If you don't have a car the hill that you need to walk up and down to and from town is pretty intense.
One of the bad things I will mention is - we were up early our first morning there and heading out to check out the area to see what we wanted to do . it was our first time in Cabo and wanted to get the lay of the land . we are not ones to lay around a pool and never explore. While leaving in the morning one of the ladies that greet you when you check in literally chased us , asking us why we were up so early and where we were going !!?? Kinda felt like saying no of your dam business ! Which it wasn't . They wanted to see if we were going on a presentation to another resort. They do want you to do one there and will try to get you to take one or to stop you from going to another one. We just kept walking while telling her we were just exploring.
Every where you go in Cabo they will try to get you to do presentations . It is a little frustrating while you are trying to enjoy your day and every few minutes someone is in your face trying to talk you into it . It happens the most at the Marina .
CAR RENTAL INFO -
We used Alamo at the Cabo airport and the price I was quoted online prior to arriving was what we were charged . We got the mandatory insurance and was not hassled into getting more . The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions to our resort . Highly recommended.

Room Tip: not sure if that matters to much , they don't give you want you ask for anyway. The higher the floor the better the view . Don't get hung up on that or you will be disappointed if you don't get it . You have views from most of the restaurants .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AnnamarieV
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Seems there's been some negative reviews, but my husband, 20 year old daughter and I had a wonderful time here and would go back in a heartbeat. We found the staff very courteous in the restaurants, poolside and rooms, addressing us by name and remembering what we liked. Yes, we tipped regularly (take lots of $1's) but that is the way business is done in Mexico. I've not experienced anything different down there. Remember for many of these staff, the daily wage is incredibly low and tips are what make their day. The food was excellent, the grounds beautiful and there was decent entertainment most evenings. My husband, a coffee junkie, loved the coffee there and any coffee lover know that's the most common disappointment when travelling. The suite bathrooms are showing their age and look pretty tired, but the bedroom space was decent and the beds comfy. We did not feel the need to leave the grounds, but simply lazed by the pool, read, ate and had a wonderful time. A heads up, if you do leave the grounds to go down to the touristy marina across the street, be prepared to be constantly approached by the locals begging and offering trinkets for sale. The children even come up to your table while you're eating in restaurants. Also, watch out for the timeshare trap at the airport. All drivers of the shuttles wait for you outside of the airport. Anyone who approaches you inside the building and says they will take you to your shuttle is lying. They are taking you to a timeshare representative although this is never alluded to. It's "come for breakfast at this new resort". We did not follow through, but wished we'd had a little more advance warning as to what goes on upon arrival so that we didn't waste that 15-20 minutes. Those two vacation irritants happened outside of the resort and are beyond their control. Our time in the resort was restful and relaxing, exactly what we needed at that time. Oh, you can't swim at the beach there which we didn't care about anyway. The undertow is very strong, but this give the most impressive showing of waves crashing up on the sandy shore. I went down and watched for a while every single day. Loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Michelle J
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I just took our honeymoon for 6 nights at Sandos, which we purchased through a Groupon. Our number one priority was to spend quality time with each other (e.g. Lounging and drinking), so we enjoyed the week. But, there were definitely plenty of cons in the experience that you may want to consider before deciding on this place for yourself:

Pros:
Amazing views
Beautiful and well equipped gym
Walking distance to the marina (try the chilaquiles at Solomon's landing and the Ecocat sunset cruise!)
Free internet access in common areas
Cupcake cafe and Emiliano's restaurant
A couple of really nice bartenders at the swim up bar
Nice entertainment staff (albeit probably more interesting for big parties rather than couples)
Sandos Spa moonlight massage (for a fee)

Cons:
Tipping - There is an entrenched culture of tipping, whereby the wait staff tends to treat you respectfully only if you regularly tip them. This is a frustrating pressure at an all inclusive, in which you are purportedly trying to get away from having to carry around money. But, fine, even when we did decide that we would give in and play by these rules, everyone (hostesses, front desk, wait staff) acted very inconvenienced if we asked for change for big bills (in order to tip). And I am not talking very big bills here, just $5, $10, $20 (max). It is like they expected us to arrive with rolls of dollar bills ready to tip them for every single service they provided, and we felt shamed for not having the foresight to do so.

Shabby junior suite - On the website, an advertisement notes that honeymooners get a free upgraded room if available. I decided to take my chances and buy a groupon for a junior suite "ocean view," hoping to be upgraded to a the next higher room category. I made my reservation five months in advance, and I called and emailed a combined total of 7 times to request that it be noted on my reservation that we are honeymooners and requested to be the first on the upgrade wait list. Upon arrival, we were given a junior suite in the main building, with a very sad looking bathroom and, well, not much to write home about. I was told that we got upgraded, which meant that we got a room on a "higher floor." I asked if we could be moved another day if a nicer room became available, but they said no, that we would have to pay over $100 per night for another room. Had I known the state of the junior suites, and that our "upgrade" never included the possibility of a nicer room, I would have paid the extra beforehand for one of the better packages. But after the fact it was an exorbitant rate. Oh and other honeymooners got some sort of sash across their door that said "happy honeymoon." Not us. That would have been a nice touch! We did get fruit and a bottle of red wine, but they didn't give us a wine opener, so it remained unopened the whole time and we had to leave it there. Just those small touches/attention to detail were missing.

No king bed - The king bed is NOT a king bed. It is two double beds pushed together. So there was an uncomfortable crack in the center. (I had also confirmed and re-confirmed the king bed in my 7 emails/phone calls...)

Brown water - The sink water came out brown one morning. We didn't have hot water another morning.

Shower curtain - The shower curtain/rod was rounded out and didn't fit the tub, so we ended up getting water all over the bathroom floor no matter how hard we tried!

Bed sheets - The bed sheets had stains on them twice. Definitely not luxurious. Just for the masses.

Loud air conditioning - The air conditioning in the bedroom sounded like a jet plane. Very startling when it came on and off.

Elite status - There is an awkward caste system with the "elite" status members. They have special cabanas they get to lay in by the pool, but they were almost always empty. They also have access to a separate restaurant and pool. I have been to other resorts with this type of differential access, but it was never so in your face. There was always a line or something you had to walk past.

Hot tubs broken - Only two of the 5 or 6 hot tubs worked, so they ended up being kiddie pools. And whenever we asked about them, we were told that they were trying to fix them.

No ocean access - You can't swim in the ocean... I didn't realize this beforehand, though, so that's my fault.

Personal concierge = timeshare salesperson - We felt like idiots when we were whisked away upon check in to meet with our "personal concierge" who went over the resort amenities as well as various for-fee activities in cabo. The, when we told her which activities we were contemplating (e.g. Sunset cruise) and that we would need some time to look at the brochures, she got pushy and told us she could give us a $200 discount if we had a meeting the next morning with the timeshare sales rep. We told her we would think about it, and she took that as a yes, giving us a voucher for the meeting. When we said "no" definitely, she ignored us for the rest of our time at the resort. Not really behavior I expect from a personal concierge :)

Okay, I have written enough. Again, we still had a nice, relaxing honeymoon, but wanted to write about these frustrations in the attempt to help others avoid them!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Irma_Shmerma
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were longtime patrons of the Finisterra, particularly the lovely Whale watcher bar. We loved it so much that we named our yacht after the bar. We recently visited or shall I say tried to visit, to have a glass of wine and watch the sunset. First we were stopped at the main gate, then had to wait for the manager to approve us walking up the stairs to the bar for a photo. Finally, they declined our request to even visit the bar unless we paid $40. each, not including any drink. It was 6:00 p.m. and we could not use the pool or any of the amenities, just walk up for a glass of wine, which now would be $80. plus. What a ripoff. We are very sad that the place has become so inaccessible. We will not recommend it or return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LBurf1234
WebRelations_SF, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear LBurf1234,
We truly apologize if there was a miscommunication regarding the hotel access. Since we are All Inclusive, the hotel it is exclusive for our guests. Visitors are welcomed and allowed paying a Day Pass or Dinner Pass subject to availability.

The day pass cost is $40usd per person per four hours in All Inclusive to access to all our restaurants, bars and pools (except the VIP Pool and Tortuga Beach restaurant from 7:00am to 6:00pm) and the Day Pass is available from 9:00am to 6pm. After 6:00pm Dinner Pass is available at $60usd for three hours from 6:00pm to 2:00am of All Inclusive in our Restaurants, Bars and our Stones Club (Night Club).

Once again we apologize for the miscommunication, especially now that we have a new whale watchers bar on top of the hill with a better view and decoration.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information you may have. I will be glad to assist you.

Kind regards from Cabo!