“Not my first time here this was a hugh disapointment!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
AZ
“Not my first time here this was a hugh disapointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let me start this off I should do more reviews but I don't its like the old saying if you are disappointed you tell 10 people if you like it you tell 2. Well seeing how I was baited into coming back to the property by a outside company that showed me the Junior suite at a very good price I could not pass up as my first trip was fantastic in Oct 2013. And the this deal was smoking hot.I thought I'd bring my husband back and this was a great deal this might work for my husband and I to buy into the whole Royal Club. As we have been known to take up to 4 nice vacations a year and lots of side trips to Mexico. Turned out not for us. Resort to far away to vest in promises that may or may not come. Especially seeing how it was run over the last 5 days.

So the way we see it this time around if you are not a soon to be member or a Royal Elite member your a second class guest. Let me explain our first day we were meet for our 830am time share appointment. It was explained to us we did not pay to be there the room was free so that is why we were given the crappy room that was mosquito infested and right in the lobby. I let that slide you really do not spend you time in your room.

But here is the information for anyone again if your not part of the Royal Elite your going to get a very hard bed this I know as like I said when I started this post I stayed here before in the Junior suite on the hill. They no longer offer bottle water at the resort they put a water cooler in your room. This freaked me out a little as who knows when it was cleaned last or if the person before you might have tampered with the system. So no water until you run down the hill to the mini mart. This system is new as we had bottle water before. I mentioned mosquito old and new as when they were smacked prior to our arrival they were left on the wall the dead bug smeared it was not cleaned I have pictures of our arrival into this room and their were spots that had dead ones in lots of places. Just ask will I be happy to send them. But that is not even the best part. Every day we had a very nice maid and guy to fill our fridge. The problem wasn't the cleaning of our room it was the towels were taken even if left hanging and not brought back. So every night we wanted to go to dinner I would have to call for towels. Which they were great about bring to us. So room wasn't dirty just not kept up and in dire need of make over.

The good news for those that can't go with out your WIFI the hotel has lots of connections and it great unless you want to look up a Restaurant and its reviews. Yes you guessed it they block tripadvisor. We had to laugh as if I was going to write a review of the hotel while I am at the hotel. So blocking me when I am trying to figure out where to eat that was funny. That being said they can't block my home so here is my review.

Moving on to the food the first night we decided to go to Don Diego it was Asian night. Everything was pretty much fried and tasted the same. It was kinda gross and I passed on most of the food I tired to eat. This also serviced as the breakfast buffet in the AM the line for the egg station was the best as it was fresh and made to order. Do not get me wrong they had great fruits and baked goods it was the bacon that sat or the running scrambled eggs. Most morning i just skipped it.

We did there party on Friday night for the 4th of July it was the first time I every had to stand in line behind the employee's to get food kinda interesting and no we were not late. But yes we didn't stay long.

They have change Agave as well we ate here a couple of times off the menu and yes they still have a menu they just do not tell you as it too is a buffet. We found it was good and service was great. I wish I could remember the employee's name he made the place during lunch. If I think of it I will update.

But for the most part we stuck to the grill by the pool. This was fresh and cooked while you wait and you saw it done. The fruit was good and the meats being served were the best. Our little pool waiter David was the best very nice and if he couldn't find what we were looking for he found a way to get it. But on Sunday the pool bar (Agave) Ran out of not only Ice but beer at around 3pm in the afternoon. We wanted to try Agave for dinner and as it seem at 7pm they were still had no beer or Ice had to run to the beach restaurant to fill our orders.

Drinks:

Went to the bar where like I said was there 6 months ago Asking for Captain Morgan or Havanna club we were told at one place sorry that is only for Royal members. I found that to be old because I had been drinking it before. My husband finally found a bar that they would service Jack and coke but when you moved out got the same responds. So need less to say we did not do much drinking in the bars.

That being said we had a nice time but would this not be my first choice for luxury are even Avg for now. I am sure it will come back once things are done. The grounds are very nice except for 5 days the waterfall was turned off again big disappointment but they are far from me staying here again.

If you are okay with so so this the place for you. As for the location its prime. So I hope it doesn't take long to make everyone feel welcome not just the Royal club.

Room Tip: You want a Junior suite or its not worth staying. We were even told by a guest who had deluxe suite...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank cmflynn63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

First of all, I would like to commend the staff and management of the Sandos Finisterra for their professionalism and attention to detail! The service provided was fantastic and the property is excellent! During the course of my one week stay, I found the level of service and the friendliness of the staff to be absolutely great. In keeping with tripadvisor tradition, I would like to send a few "Shout Outs" to a few of the staff members who we found to be quite engaging and a credit to the Sandos Finisterra. I would like to personally thank Jannys (absolutely spectacular and maybe the hardest working member of the entire staff), Fausto (coffee and linguistic extraordinaire from the Cup Cake Cafe), Elevier (Don Diego and Agave), Rigo (Front Desk), and Maria (Properties) for their fantastic professionalism and hospitality. Also, I would also like to thank Juan Antonio (Emiliano's) and Ricardo (Cup Cake Cafe) for their dedication and tremendous service as well.

The Sandos Finisterra in my opinion is an absolutely gorgeous property and I can only imagine what plans Sandos has for it. The Finisterra is an older property, but it is beautiful and has a certain character about it that many of the newer properties simply don't have. The property has been going through a major renovation and it has just finished the first phase of three that are planned for it. Once again, I can only imagine how beautiful it will be once Sandos is done with it. It has one of the best locations in Cabo San Lucas, and it has an actual beach. Many of the newer resorts that sit on Medano Beach pale in comparison when it comes to having a beach. Most of the newer resorts have a "strip" of beach and vendors are constantly up and down the beach peddling their wares. The Sandos Finisterra has a private beach and it is three or four times wider than most of the newer resorts' beaches. Not only that, but the marina and downtown area are a short walk away, only about a 10 minute walk for most people.

All in all, the property in fantastic, the people are awesome, and I look forward to the day that I return to the Sandos Finisterra. To Mr. Emiliano, please keep up the good work, and give your staff the accolades that they deserve, they are great!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor to maximize the awesome views!
2 Thank TatnRuss
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

<Transportation>
I used Class VIP Transfer recommended by my hotel, Sandos. Armando was very nice and quick to respond to my emails. The driver, Ernesto was very nice and knowledgeable about Cabo. The payment was done by paypal and you need to print your voucher before you meet your driver. DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE at the airport. They are trying to sell Time Share properties. Go to the EXIT and meet your driver outside.

<Resort>
The front desk person, RIGO was very nice and spoke great English.
The 7th Floor is the best place to stay for this resort. Most of Restaurants are on the 7th Floor.
You can enjoy Marina views and also Ocean Views from this resort.
From Cupcake Cafe, Don Diego and SPA/GYM you can enjoy the best view of the Marina.
From Whale Watcher Bar, you can enjoy the best view of the Ocean.
Food was average but the service is excellent every restaurant you go to.
Walking distance to the town for Shopping and tours. (best location)
They have many activities and events at the resort for adults and kids.

2 Thank 1toptravelagent
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for 7 nights at the Finisterra. The location to the marina was probably the best aspect of this hotel. We would have enjoyed our stay if it had been a few nights but the food got boring and the resort is out of date.

***Also quick tip for all those savvy researchers out there: TRIPADVISOR THE SITE IS BLOCKED WITHIN THE HOTEL. I kept wanting to research tours, restaurants, and bars but it's the only site blocked. There is a guy in the lobby wanting to sell you overpriced tours though!

Food: Initially there seemed to be so many options but then you realize, there aren't. Breakfast is at the same place every day and it's always buffet style with the same options. There is only one place open for lunch at the pool with the same options and a little buffet style open eating area. For dinner there are now 3 options: buffet from the same place as breakfast, menu from the same place as lunch, or a "classier" Italian dinner menu. These restaurants would have been fine for a weekend stay but after 7 days I didn't want the same thing over and over.

Nightlife: There was a party on the beach with dancing on Friday. They have little performances every night and their Stone's Bar is also open until 2 with themed nights. The Stones Bar feels like a dive bar to me. It is supposed to be a throw back but everything feels dated with feather lamps and patterned red carpet.

Drinks: They were plentiful but sometimes hard to wave down a bartender. In the day the only place to go is the swim up bar and sometimes (for the people that don't pay the premium) the other bar near the beach. The only place at night is the Stones Bar.

Room: We chose the Junior Suite, Ocean View. This is the "value" room and usually I'm okay with that but it was outdated and beds were left to be desired. Sometimes our mini-fridge full of soda and beer was stocked and sometimes it wasn't. We initially started with 4 large towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 washcloths but on our last day the maid was giving us 2 large and 1 hand. The problem with that is the curtain doesn't close on the shower and we kept flooding the bathroom with water.

Staff: The staff were excellent. Everyone was super helpful and attentive.

Overall: We'd stay here for a quick weekend trip again. The location can't be beat but for a longer more romantic stay we're going to try a new place in Cabo. The hotel is tired and the staff is trying to keep it going but for how much you pay I feel like you could get better elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingChick01
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We just came back from our trip in Cabo and it was our second time at Sandos Finisterra. I'm speechless about everything. The view is breathless. People are super nice. The food is amazing. The parties are off the hook! Wonderful service and perfect hotel. The shuttles thay pick you up for the activities are always on time. Thank you so much for everything.
We are definitely coming back a third time. See you guys in January!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sasha P
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Pluses-location beach on one side, marina on the other, it is incredible. You can also watch people at the dolphin swim (mariner side) when you are at the top of the resort. Lots of really nice pools and space around the pools. Beach goes on forever. Views from the restaurants are amazing. Our room was very large with a great balcony.
Minuses-some mold in bathtub, I felt that the room and resort were very clean, I was surprised to see the mold in the bathtub area, it wasn’t bad but I never like to see that. A timeshare person tried to get us before we even checked in, we had to say “no” to that right away. Most of the food was wonderful, I felt like they didn’t quite have it together at the Italian restaurant but it was still good. Their nightclub is this old amazing bar and I wish it was still a cool bar and not a loud nightclub that is just open in the evening. Overall I loved this resort and my experience in Cabo.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ToniB0831
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Loved this resort. I've been to Cabo three times this year and many times before and this is probably my favorite resort so far. Great food, freindly staff, great pools, and amazing views of the Pacific. We watched migrating whales from our balcony which had a great view of the beach and Pacific Ocean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Posada Real Los Cabos
#21 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,175 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Res...
#23 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!