“Missing Cabo already!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Missing Cabo already!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I spent a week at Sandos Finisterra for our first anniversary. First off, this resort has the best view in Los Cabos. Perfect view of the marina and Cabo San Lucas, and also a beautiful view over the ocean. You cannot have a better view in Cabo San Lucas.

Food. Amazing! Don Diego buffet had amazing breakfast, and amazing theme night dinners. Agave was perfect for Mexican food which you could order inside the restaurant or pool side. I didn't think Tortuga was all that, but that's just me. The Cupcake Cafe was really good too, although, we had a hard time getting chocolate cupcakes, as they were always out of them, and didn't seem to bake enough of them, but they also had amazing smoothies.

The service was pretty good. The first day I was at the swim up bar, in the morning, and 10 of the bar staff were crowded around the TV watching the game, and I had a hard time getting a drink, but after that i stayed poolside rather than at the swim up bar, as it got too loud there in the afternoon. The waitstaff around the pools were amazing, and always made sure you had a drink.

There's always something going on, and the entertainment was really good at this resort. Oliver and Dinelly were very outgoing and knew how to get a crowd going. Lots of activities, games and shows, if you're into that sort of thing.

One negative thing is that the maid service was a bit inconsistent and not all that impressive. Some days no towels were left in the bathroom, other days, no hand towels. Sometimes we found that we had tracked in sand from the beach and it hadn't been cleaned up. We had expected something special for our first anniversary, like turn down service, and although a bottle of white wine was left in the room, no turn-down service was provided.

Other than minor things like that, it was amazing, and would go back in a heart beat. If you are courteous and friendly you will be met with the same. Some of the negative reviews on here are a bit harsh in my opinion, and you just can't please some people. Appreciating the staff that works so hard to give you a pleasant experience goes a long way.

Audel "Audi" was our friendly bellboy who was always friendly, and although we didn't see him often, he was always there when we needed something, whether it be advice on things to do in town, or what taxi to use.

We are missing Cabo already, and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Higher floors, and Ocean view. Room 1605 (Building 1 6th floor Room 5) had a perfect view of the Oce...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Johnny F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Polish first
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I traveled to this all inclusive hotel with family. I had been to the Finesterra several times with my husband before it became all inclusive. The changes since Sandos took over are amazing! Although the rooms, grounds, and pools are all basically the same, the hotel is definately much improved. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The food at each restaurant was excellant. Most of all, every staff person we encountered was extremely pleasant, and helpful. I really cannot think of anything that was not just right on our trip and I came home to tell my husband, now we need to return to the Finesterra so he can experience the wonderful changes Sandos has made.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Andy-Cathy O
Palos Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Spent a week at Sandos and had a very great time. Would like to give it exceptional across the board but can't. Food, service very good. Entertainment and beach parties were fun and exceptional. Entertainers gave 100% day and night. They made me laugh a lot. Great location for the resort, walk to the marina. You will need to think it as a vertical resort. Bar and restaurants are on the seventh and eight floors. No lobby bar, which for me is needed as a meeting place. The pools and property are great. Two larger pools for families and the adult pool with swim up bar was great unfortunately parents feel the need to bring their kids in the adult pool and take up spots for adults. The two family pools are larger and had plenty of space. Cabo has a younger crowd and the language can get foul and parents just let their kids hear it. One day someone felt it was ok to put their towels on four chairs under a palapa for six hours. It is up to the resort to monitor these better. Our room had a great location but had not gone under the renovation as some of the others. I could never recommend to someone to go to Sandos if they got one of the older rooms, they would be very disappointed. It was vert hot so the A/c would never shut off and it was rather loud. When we got the room we knew it was not good but did not want to complain. Even though we were not in the room a lot it still makes you have a better experience if you have nice accommodations. If sandos continues to fix the rooms and spruce it up some I believe the resort could be exceptional. There is plenty of room if they decide to add a restaurant. I would give it 3.5 out of 5 but with even better days ahead for this resort with some changes. You wouldn't have a bad time here, probably a very good time, but it would not be first class.

Room Tip: Don't settle for an old room esp. 1710.
      Location
2 Thank Edward S
WebRelations_SF, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Edward S,
We appreciate your feedback, we have shared your comments with all our staff and management.

We will monitor for empty lounge chairs with towels around the pool or beach area, and we will keep working on improvements to be exceptional as you mentioned.

We thank you for all your comments because it help us to improve.
We hope to have you back soon!

Warm regards from Cabo!

Lorenia Muñoz | Web Relations | Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for 5 nights in one of the ocean view Junior Suites. After reading reviews on here, I made sure to request a fourth floor room with a King-size bed. Luckily, we got what we requested! Likewise, I knew to shut down the timeshare sales pitch before the concierge got underway with recommending it. After declining, we weren't bothered with any more sales pitches the rest of our stay. Front desk staff was very nice and attentive. In general all of the staff members were great! Especially Eduardo at the Stones Club and Pedro at the swim-up bar! The food was decent for all-inclusive just don't set your sights too high in that area. The best meal I had all week was the salmon from Emiliano's. I wish it was advertised that Agave had a lunch buffet and much larger menu if you dined inside as opposed to the swim-up bar. My boyfriend and I didn't realize this until halfway through our stay. Great location! I found most of the guests to be couples in their twenties and thirties. And for anyone who doesn't want to filter through the links for attractions etc.... My recommendations are as folllows:

Airport Transportation: Transcabo (pre-book)

Excursions: Cabo Adventures (pre-book)

Nightclubs: Squid Roe, Pink Kitty, Mandala, and Knotty

Shopping: Baja Anklet (just past Monkey business)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Nakisha W
washington state
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family and I stayed at Sandos Finisterra from June 9-18, 2014. (My family: husband, wife, teenage daughter (15 yrs old) and two boys (9 yrs and 7 yrs)). For the majority of the time, we had a great experience at Sandos. In regard to Cabos San Lucas, we enjoyed it, but probably won’t be back. The weather was fantastic; nice and hot, with low humidity. We have been to the Cancun area three times before (around the same time of year), and comparing it Cabos, the weather was far better in Cabos, mainly because it wasn’t muggy. However, there is no comparing the beaches. Cancun’s beaches are awesome! Cabos’ beaches reminded of a visit I once made to a Southern California beach; nothing spectacular. The ocean water is super cold, and nobody was getting in; and you didn’t want to get in due to the chance of the tide taking you in. I will say that I would definitely look at staying at another Sandos resort, wherever our next beach vacation takes us.
Back to the hotel review:

Initial check in at lobby: This was the lowest point of our vacation. It started off nice, with a staff member greeting us with champagne glasses. However, the check-in process was horrendous. The lobby staff member, Rigoberto, really stooped low trying to convince us to upgrade rooms. He pressured and pressured us to upgrade for approx $180 a night, we kept saying no, and he kept pressuring. He then told us he wanted to show us the upgraded room and the room we had paid for; my wife suggested we go look at it just so Rigo would stop nagging us. We saw the upgraded room (which had a kitchen) and then he took us to a single bed room for two people. We told him we had paid for a suite for 5 people and he claimed we only paid for the 1-bed room. He then said he would do us a favor and drop the price to $150 per night for the upgraded room. This was a total bait-and-switch gimmick which got me really upset. I pulled up my expedia hotel itinerary on my phone and confirmed with him that I paid for a suite. After, he saw that I was really upset, and I knew what I had paid for, he claimed it was a computer error. He magically pulled out the envelope with our room info and keys and the room number written on the envelope didn’t match the one-bed room he initially claimed was our room. This was a very classless act by him. I guess you can expect this behavior on the final stages of a timeshare presentation, but not a hotel check-in.

The hotel needs to talk with their employees about pressuring guests for upgrades.

Overall hotel and entertainment:

The hotel sits on a hillside with a spectacular view of the city, including the bay area. The restaurants at the top of the hotel provided a great view while having breakfast and dinner. It is a very close walk (3-5 minutes max) to the bay/boat dock area where all the shops are located. The view everywhere in the hotel is great. The nightly entertainment was really fun. The fire show on Friday night was the best! We all loved it, and I thought it was better than a fire/luau show my wife and I saw in Hawaii several years ago. The rock band that played on Sunday Night was also great.

Our room, which had two beds plus a sofa bed, was nice. It was well-maintained and the mini fridge was restocked every day. Actually, we called to get more refills and they quickly came to restock.

Restaurants

Don Diego’s Restaurant: This was our favorite restaurant; a buffet opened for breakfast and dinner. The staff (waiters/chefs/greeters/managers) were the best! They always provided a fantastic experience and I would put their service up there with a four/five star restaurant. Everyone at this restaurant was sincere and it seemed that everyone at the restaurant was being treated the same great way. The food was also delicious. The food at the buffet was good and it was always fresh. Plus, great view when you sit outside to eat!

The staff at Don Diego’s, with their high-class service, really have set the bar high for all other restaurants. Several of the staff members that made it a great experience were: Abel, waiter during breakfast; Norman, waiter during dinner; and Jorge, the restaurant manager/supervisor. Awesome job!

Agave Restaurant: The Mexican food in the evening is truly authentic and tastes great. The daytime food was good too, but nothing to rave about. Also, I have two complaints from this restaurant: First, I was in the Agave bathroom when I saw one of the bartenders come out of the bathroom stall and exit the restroom and go straight to making/serving drinks without washing his hands in the bathroom or at the bar. Not cool. Also, my two boys and I had a really bad experience there with a waiter by the name of Eleveirdo. It took him 15 minutes to talk to us after we were seated; actually, I went to the bar and ordered our drinks and the female greeter saw me getting my drinks and she went to go tell the waiter we were still waiting for him. He claimed not to see us; one other occupied table in his area, and he couldn’t see us, and we were seated next to the waiter entrance/exit? Then he didn’t want to take our order because my wife and daughter weren’t seated at the table, even though I told them they were on their way. He finally agreed to take our order and our bad service continued. We never got water or drink refills once. Finally, he brought my boys' the wrong food and he got snappy when we told him it wasn’t what we asked for. The folks at Don Diego’s restaurant need to come down to Agave’s and give them a class on service.

Disco Club/Bar:

The dance/disco bar is really nice and updated. Every World Cup game was being shown there and the waiters always served us well while we were watching the games. During the Mexico/Brazil, it was a blast! There were a lot of people in there watching the game, and I saw that hotel manager was in there as well. He brought in more waiters, staff, snacks, and seats to make everyone comfortable. They really went all out to make everyone feel welcomed and enjoy the game. Awesome job!

Finisterra Plaza bar (next to Don Diego’s)

Finally, Alfredo, the bartender in the evenings, was great. Just like the staff at Don Diego’s, he provided us with positive and sincere service!

We did several activities: Cabo Adventures zip lining (whole family), Cabo Adventures dolphin swim (our two boys), quick boat trip to the Arch (whole family), and fishing trip (just me). We had a blast in all, and I’ll review the Cabo Adventure trips on their respective tripadvisor sections.

Free Wi-Fi
The hotel has free wi-fi everywhere! Awesome!

Overall,
If we decide to ever come back to Cabos San Lucas, I would rebook this hotel. The positives outweigh the minor negatives, and the view is spectacular!

Traveler tip:

If you decide to book any activities, I would recommend going down to the bay/boat dock area. There are dozens of third party vendors selling the same activities (ziplining, dune buggys, boat trips, etc.) for a cheaper price than what yo might get online or the hotel concierge service. However, you do have to negotiate, but it doesn't take much hassle. Just make sure it is not a time-share deal. We booked our Cabo Adventures zipline trip through one vendor, and after we went on our trip, we came back and bought the the dolphin swim and a second zipline trip, at 25% less than their website prices. Just go to different vendors and negotiate to the lowest price. Then go compare with another vendor. We settled with a vendor office next to the dock named "El Chilango." It was legit, but choose whoever you feel comfortable with and/or gives you the lowest price! Enjoy Cabos and have a blast!

Room Tip: My brother-in-law also went to the same hotel during the same time frame and he got a room right abo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank strucksylver
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Thank you to the amazing staff of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos. My friend and I just returned from a five night stay and we had a truly wonderful experience. The people who work there are so nice, friendly and funny! We felt very welcomed, safe and the service was impeccable.
We had a Bay View Room which was very nice and had an amazing view. The toilet broke down, but the helpful and professional staff had it fixed in no time.
If you are a serious foodie you might want to explore options around town for dinner, but there were some great dishes at the buffet and at the poolside restaurant. Who can really diss a poolside all-you-can eat Nacho bar?
The swim up pool bar is hysterical and we had way too much fun there with the very diverse crowd. Order up a Miami Vice from the bar, join the in-pool congo line and you are in vacation heaven. The lower pools were much calmer and cleaner and I think one day we spent 6 hours just lounging around all day.
The location of the resort is perfect for walking around and exploring town, plus its far enough away from all the downtown craziness.
We had iced coffee every day at the Cupcake Cafe and we went to the Stones Club most nights and chair-danced to the hits of the 90's. We also bought a massage at the Sandos Spa and it was excellent. The spa is beautiful and the massage was very, very relaxing.
I think this place would be great for couples, a family with kids, friends or anyone who wants a positive, fun experience in Cabo.
Thank you Finisterra staff- see you again next year!

Room Tip: We loved our Deluxe Bay View Room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank B_Alaska
AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let me start this off I should do more reviews but I don't its like the old saying if you are disappointed you tell 10 people if you like it you tell 2. Well seeing how I was baited into coming back to the property by a outside company that showed me the Junior suite at a very good price I could not pass up as my first trip was fantastic in Oct 2013. And the this deal was smoking hot.I thought I'd bring my husband back and this was a great deal this might work for my husband and I to buy into the whole Royal Club. As we have been known to take up to 4 nice vacations a year and lots of side trips to Mexico. Turned out not for us. Resort to far away to vest in promises that may or may not come. Especially seeing how it was run over the last 5 days.

So the way we see it this time around if you are not a soon to be member or a Royal Elite member your a second class guest. Let me explain our first day we were meet for our 830am time share appointment. It was explained to us we did not pay to be there the room was free so that is why we were given the crappy room that was mosquito infested and right in the lobby. I let that slide you really do not spend you time in your room.

But here is the information for anyone again if your not part of the Royal Elite your going to get a very hard bed this I know as like I said when I started this post I stayed here before in the Junior suite on the hill. They no longer offer bottle water at the resort they put a water cooler in your room. This freaked me out a little as who knows when it was cleaned last or if the person before you might have tampered with the system. So no water until you run down the hill to the mini mart. This system is new as we had bottle water before. I mentioned mosquito old and new as when they were smacked prior to our arrival they were left on the wall the dead bug smeared it was not cleaned I have pictures of our arrival into this room and their were spots that had dead ones in lots of places. Just ask will I be happy to send them. But that is not even the best part. Every day we had a very nice maid and guy to fill our fridge. The problem wasn't the cleaning of our room it was the towels were taken even if left hanging and not brought back. So every night we wanted to go to dinner I would have to call for towels. Which they were great about bring to us. So room wasn't dirty just not kept up and in dire need of make over.

The good news for those that can't go with out your WIFI the hotel has lots of connections and it great unless you want to look up a Restaurant and its reviews. Yes you guessed it they block tripadvisor. We had to laugh as if I was going to write a review of the hotel while I am at the hotel. So blocking me when I am trying to figure out where to eat that was funny. That being said they can't block my home so here is my review.

Moving on to the food the first night we decided to go to Don Diego it was Asian night. Everything was pretty much fried and tasted the same. It was kinda gross and I passed on most of the food I tired to eat. This also serviced as the breakfast buffet in the AM the line for the egg station was the best as it was fresh and made to order. Do not get me wrong they had great fruits and baked goods it was the bacon that sat or the running scrambled eggs. Most morning i just skipped it.

We did there party on Friday night for the 4th of July it was the first time I every had to stand in line behind the employee's to get food kinda interesting and no we were not late. But yes we didn't stay long.

They have change Agave as well we ate here a couple of times off the menu and yes they still have a menu they just do not tell you as it too is a buffet. We found it was good and service was great. I wish I could remember the employee's name he made the place during lunch. If I think of it I will update.

But for the most part we stuck to the grill by the pool. This was fresh and cooked while you wait and you saw it done. The fruit was good and the meats being served were the best. Our little pool waiter David was the best very nice and if he couldn't find what we were looking for he found a way to get it. But on Sunday the pool bar (Agave) Ran out of not only Ice but beer at around 3pm in the afternoon. We wanted to try Agave for dinner and as it seem at 7pm they were still had no beer or Ice had to run to the beach restaurant to fill our orders.

Drinks:

Went to the bar where like I said was there 6 months ago Asking for Captain Morgan or Havanna club we were told at one place sorry that is only for Royal members. I found that to be old because I had been drinking it before. My husband finally found a bar that they would service Jack and coke but when you moved out got the same responds. So need less to say we did not do much drinking in the bars.

That being said we had a nice time but would this not be my first choice for luxury are even Avg for now. I am sure it will come back once things are done. The grounds are very nice except for 5 days the waterfall was turned off again big disappointment but they are far from me staying here again.

If you are okay with so so this the place for you. As for the location its prime. So I hope it doesn't take long to make everyone feel welcome not just the Royal club.

Room Tip: You want a Junior suite or its not worth staying. We were even told by a guest who had deluxe suite...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Posada Real Los Cabos
#21 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,177 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Res...
#24 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!