“Big changes for owners.....”

Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Ranked #11 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Washougal, Washington
“Big changes for owners.....”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

First, I'd like to say, that I've been an owner here for 7 years. We have loved it here and come twice a year.
The good: the property is still clean and well maintained. The spa services were great. The fire-pit area has been expanded and the evening music is lovely. Free wifi (poor signal) & new coffee shop. Looks like they expanded the Kids Club.

The bad: zero communication to owners about the property being all inclusive. I was not even informed at check in. Found out after being BANNED from 2 restaurants at lunch time...yes, owners do not have the option of going to any of the new restaurants (Mexican, ceviche, sushi, grille) unless they purchase an all inclusive package. Zero food service on the beach. NEVER offered a beverage at the pool or at the beach....not once in 7 days. Was it because we didn't have an all inclusive wrist band? Zero food service At the pool, unless you are all inclusive. New menu at the Peninsula Restaurant was lacking. For breakfast, only buffet is offered...no menus. You can go to the coffee shop for coffee & pastry, but being gluten free, my only option, was ordering room service....3800 pesos for papaya, yogurt and juice. Dinner & service at the Peninsula was good & was the only good service we received. The overall feel is that owners are now second class here. For owners to get the same amenities we are used to, we have to pay for it. With all inclusive, comes more people, more booze, more noise. We stayed at the club pool to avoid the nonsense.

If you are an owner, make sure that you hit The Mega so you can eat & drink what you want. And be prepared to be ignored while lounging on the property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Oregonstarrs
John K, Director General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, but even more for being a loyal guest for 7 years.
I apologize for the lack of communication regarding the All Inclusive concept. Emails were sent out with the information but sometimes that does not guarantee that they reach the addressee.
It is important to us that all of our guests feel like our hotel is their second home which is why, even with the new concept, we have maintained 6 options for the guests that choose not to take advantage of the All Inclusive such as Rosato, Viña del Mar, Peninsula, Coffee Corner and Bikini Bar. We are more than happy to accommodate to anybody’s dietary needs, all you have to do is let the waiters know and the chef will prepare the dishes accordingly.
Please send us back your bill from room service for when you ordered papaya, juice and yogurt as $3,800 pesos is not what we charge for that and if you did it must have been some sort of mistake, although I´m guessing it´s a typo and you meant to write something different.
It´s important for me that you know that we no longer serve food on the beach because it was attracting the local fauna and it was not environmentally healthy.

Thanks again for sending your comments and I hope you will allow us to be your host again and give you the service you deserve and have been receiving for the last 7 years. If you have any questions or further comments please don´t hesitate in contacting me.

Best Regards,

John Kirwan
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I loved my 4 day stay here. The rooms were nicely appointed, but slightly smaller and less lush than other are 4-stars. All restaurants but one had fantastic food, and the buffet was delish as well. I did have a terrible dining experience at the Italian restaurant. I was ignored as a solo diner and angered when a solo dining male who was seated later than I was was immediately served. All the food was disappointing as well. It's too bad, because the ambiance and live music were so promising. I left without eating my meal and mentioned my experience to Isabel, the gracious buffet hostess, and she took great care of me, finding me a nice, quiet place to read while I had an actual dinner. With the exception of the Italian joint, service everywhere was perfect. The steak restaurant was fantastic. The Peninsula was fantastic. The guy who runs the martini bar is a hoot. (And those martinis are included!) There was amazing musical entertainment at the firepit at night. The beach was gorgeous, I will return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank jeannette777
John K, Managing Director at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.
I am glad that you enjoyed staying with us and that Isabel and the staff gave you the quality of service you deserve, I will let them know the pleasant things you wrote about them.
I sent your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager regarding Rosato Restaurant so that he can address it with his team and work on improving those details.

Looking forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
Best Regards,
NY, NY
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was in charge of planning a friend's birthday... always a gamble... but this place was terrific. My friends and I loved it: from the friendly staff and service to the great beach with their palapas, we were so happy.

While we had a few amazing meals in town, the all inclusive food at the hotel was good - especially the Italian restaurant. During the week had less people which was nice, but it never became crazy insane even the Saturday. I also like two separate pools - one for kids and another for adults. Of course there were a few kids running around like mental patients and a few smashy the clown idiots, but that's not the hotel's fault. And the place is so large, they're easy to evade.

Go - you'll like it.

Room Tip: I liked the higher room... I was on 4... I would suggest that.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PBSFan1
John K, Gerente General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am glad that you and your friends had a good time celebrating at our hotel. Rosato Italian Cuisine is one of the most popular restaurants out of the 7 we have and it is for adults only after 7 p.m. which makes it convenient for couples and adult parties; I hope you also had the chance to try La Bodega or the Sushi Sky Bar. Thanks again for staying with us and would love to have you again for your next birthday. Best Regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband & I traveled the last week of March 2014. We made arrangements in advance to have a driver pick us up at the airport. That was money well spent! The trip from the airport was only about 30 min. Upon arriving at the resort, we were blown away at how amazing it is. One negative comment was that the check-in process was long. It appeared there were enough people working, but we waited about 30 min. to check in. Then we were whisked away by a staff member and given information on the resort & the restaurants. We did feel pressured to attend a time share presentation which we later canceled. We are owners with HGVC and we didn't want to sit for another presentation (which we heard from others was at least 2 hrs.+) We stayed in a one bedroom in the Villas with an incredible view of the water. We were able to walk to the Villas pool and it was quite nice and not as crowded. We decided to go with the all-inclusive which in our opinion was a good value. There are many restaurants to choose from and there is plenty of staff walking around to serve food and drinks. We only went into town one time on the shuttle from the resort. The resort is very large and spreadout, but it was good to get the exercise. They maintain the resort well and they are constantly working to improve it. We really enjoyed our relaxing time at the resort. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: we liked being on the lower level closer to the Peninsula restaurant
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 832CLR
John K, General Manager at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
It´s nice to read that you and your husband enjoyed your vacation at Fiesta Americana Grand, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. March is a fantastic time to come to Cabo, the weather is nice and you can still catch a glimpse of a whale or two from your bedroom window. I appreciate your feedback, we have the front desk staff in constant training and guests like you make us want to provide a better service every day. Looking forward to having you as our guest in the near future. Best Regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We just returned from a week at this property and were very impressed. Generally, the service provided and quality of the resort itself were excellent, and we sure wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if the opportunity presented itself. We were on the all-inclusive plan.

<b>Resort:</b>
- Service is really good, and there are many staff to take care of you. Food service especially is excellent.
- The glaring exception to the good service is the front desk staff. Not that they are bad, they are just terribly slow. It seems to take ourselves, and others, about 10-15 minutes to get checked in. This creates really long lineups at peak times, such that if you have a minor request it's pretty hard to get it met during those times. It really seems a bit substandard for a place like this.
- The quality of the food is really really good, especially at the a la carte restaurants. La Bodega in particular is fantastic. Can't beat the Peninsula restaurant by the ocean for the breakfast buffet. Seriously, there is no way that our family would be able to have afforded to eat that well at a resort that was not all-inclusive.
- There are several pools, but with our little guy we ended up spending vast amounts of time in the big family pool. It slopes from only inches deep at the one end to about 4.5 feet deep at the ocean end. Great view from there.
- We enjoyed music at the fire pit pretty much every night, starting at 8pm.
- Wifi service is available for free, but was super spotty and unreliable. You certainly can't count on it being there.
- Our son went to the kids club, which was decent. The girls there (Mimi and Maydel) were excellent and very friendly to the kids. They're open from essentially 10am-4pm and have TVs, computers, games, books, etc for the kids. It seems pretty unstructured, but we found it was a nice change of pace for our son for an hour or two at a time. He really enjoyed it.

<b>Room:</b>
- As we had a 4 year old with us, we had a double room. Double room means 2x double beds, not queens. Not ideal, but not terrible either.
- The room included a safe. Big plus.
- Most of the TV channels are in spanish. To be expected, and not like we really spent any time watching TV.
- The room, and the beds especially, was a little worn and could use a touch up for sure.

<b>Other: </b>
- CSL is quite close, about $20USD/20minutes away by taxi. There is a shuttle that runs about once an hour for $10USD pp.
- Forget about walking anywhere from this resort. It's far from anything within walking distance.
- Direct ride from the airport is about 35-40 minutes via the toll road.
- We saw whales in the ocean just off the beach pretty much every day, and iguanas hanging out on the rocks by the pool. Pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor of the main building. This is like the "cart superhighway&quo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank vanbigslick
John K, General Manager at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you so much for the detailed review of Fiesta Americana Grand. It is a pleasure to know that you and your family enjoyed your vacations with us. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, they work really hard and will be very happy to hear about your great comments regarding them. We are in the process of upgrading the band width to provide a better WiFi service, hopefully you will see for yourself the improvements next time you stay with us. Best Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I wrote a very positive review a months ago but was thinking about something regarding your recent change. My wife and I stayed here last June for a week. This was prior to the mandatory all inclusive. Now I just put the same week in for this June, only one year later and the same room to book is $360/per night ADDITIONAL. Now, we also had a direct ocean view room and full buffet breakfast included each day. That leaves 2 meals and drinks. Not really sure how anyone can justify a triple increase over 2 meals. I wont criticize the hotel as I did have a nice experience at your property but I must question a property that is considered "ancient" when compared to the new hotel properties over the last 10 years or so. I am very disappointed to see this HUGE increase as I was considering a return this summer. I understand the benefit of an all inclusive to management as guests typically spend time away on tours, etc... and they do not maximize their meals but such a steep increase is unfortunate.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Richard S
Chicago suburb
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My family (Dad and Step-Mom, hubby, three teenage boys) all enjoyed this hotel. We have been to many all inclusives, and this hotel was one of the nicest. It was obvious that they hire an abundance of staff, the vast majority were very friendly and happy to make your vacation great. The grounds are immaculate. The decor is equivalent to a Four Seasons. The food, especially for an all inclusive, was very good. There is one restaurant that serves buffet each night and the theme changes. All of the other restaurants are a la carte, with a nice variety of choices. Unlike other all inclusives, we never had to worry about getting clean towels or a chair by the pool or umbrella on the beach. Even the cabanas were available most of the time. The beach area is very nice with great snorkeling. It is worth noting that if you are looking for many activities (water sports, organized games, etc.) this is not the place. There is a volleyball net in the pool and at the beach, a ping pong table, and free snorkeling gear, but no kayaks, waverunners/jet skis, big organized games, etc. It is a quiet place. At night there is entertainment (a small band, an electric violinist) by the fire pit, but it is mostly quiet. A great location for families or people looking to relax, not a great location for staff-led activities or young adults looking to party. The location is also 10 minutes to the town of Cabo - and taxis were $5 pp each way. Very easy to get back and forth.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the newer "villas" up the mountain. While the views of the Sea were a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank carrieo
John K, Director General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, but most importantly, thank you and your family for staying with us. Comments like yours help us strive to be better every day. We are working on new fun activities for the entire family; we will also continue with our Kids Club where all children under 12 yrs old can spend the day with our professionaly trained staff playing board and computer games, watching movies and having the best time with other kids. If you have any fun activities you would like to propose we would love to hear them on your next visit. Hope to see you soon in sunny Los Cabos!