“Don't Go!!!”

Ranked #136 of 591 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Flavors that touch the soul, beers that elevate the spirit. Sabores que tocan el alma, cervezas que elevan el espiritu. Ramuri "The spirit of light-footed". We are passionate in the quest of flavours, creating masterpieces for you. We not only make great beers that elevate the spirit, we create dishes that touch the soul. Our relaxed atmosphere, wide selection of hand crafted beers and tasteful dishes, all designed to make you float in an unique MEXperience. - RAMURI ¨Espiritu de pies ligeros¨ Somos apasionados en la busqueda de sabores, creando piezas maestras para ti. No solo hacemos excelente cerveza que eleva el espiritu, creamos platillos que tocan el alma. nuestra atmosfera relajada, la gran seleccion de cerveza artesanal y delicioso platillos,todo disenado para hacerte flotar en una experiencia unica.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Yes, nice atmosphere. It goes down fast after that!!! Service was HORRIBLE even if they had plenty of help. Four started with beer samplers. They brought out two and fifteen minutes later brought out the other two. The beer certainly wasn't up to craft brews we are used to. Started to order food and three different items they were out of. The food was SLOW and certainly not a value by any means. One meal was brought out a good fifteen minutes before the rest...so much so that this meal done before anybody else got theirs. The food was average at best. Not a refill of a beverage was even offered. The only thing that was quick was them clearing our plates, even while we still eating. I asked for the check because I told the waiter finally he was in a hurry for something>to get us to leave. We talked to someone about our experience before we left and the problems were blamed on their suppliers. WHAT? Suppliers have nothing to do with service but that was only one of the problems. Don't waste your time here.

1  Thank margaritasinmexi

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Traveling in Mexico and the Baja in particular, finding a micro brewery was a pleasant surprise. The atmosphere was really cool and upscale (their use of bottles for almost a stained glass ceiling was awesome) and the beer and service was great. Lots of open and airy space and even live music on the rooftop. Check it out if your in Cabo and want something different than the tourist bars and Pacifico.

1  Thank J D
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've been in Cabo for nine months, so I leave this review as a semi-regular and not a tourist.

While there are many fantastic restaurants I have yet to visit in the area, I find myself reguarly returning to Ramuri, so in such a competitive landscape, they must be doing something right!

I'd like to give my impressions of the staff, the beer, the food, and the ambiance, in that order.

--Staff

When I visit, I always end up conversing with Eduardo Silva, the brewer, and I always ask for updates about how the business is doing and if they are achieving their goals and vision. As a business owner, too, I can't help it. He's given me a tour of the brewery section of the restaurant and always ensures I am well-looked after, for no reason other than his passion for his work. I am not "special", but I feel like I get special treatment every time I visit; it's a nice touch, and it's been like that from the first time I went, not because "they know me here".

There are many servers on staff, and they have varying levels of experience, like any large restaurant, in any city, in any country (of the 40-something I've visited / lived in, anyway). Senior-level servers with excellent English tell you the specials and take your order, give you a blanket when it's cold, and give the ladies a small rack to hang their purses from!? while the less-experienced busboys whisk around delivering and clearing plates. One should not expect a junior server learning their trade to provide the same level of service - in English, in a Spanish-speaking country (or anywhere, for that matter) - as a senior server, but they nevertheless work hard to transmit your needs to a senior server that can better attend to you.

They know to explain the cheeses to you that come on the cheese plate (a small touch that is often overlooked), they accept off-menu orders / requests and they even work with you of you have specific dietary requirements (which may be the case for you, depending on how many taco stands you've been visiting!).

If you have accurate expectations and are sensitive to cultural nuance, you will understand that the service at Ramuri is attentive and excellent.

--Beer

The beer (ahh, the beer!). It's great, and I do have a decent idea of what I'm talking about (Michigan, Maryland, Oregon - I've been spoiled when it comes to microbrewers in my backyard).

My favorite is their IPA, and I'm not a fan of IPA generally speaking. Eduardo gave me the background on that particular brew (the reason it is so hoppy is that hops acts as a preservative and beer on the long journey to India from England during the epoch I've now forgotten made the trip by being loaded with the bitter flower).

The flavor became a desirable feature so that now it's a "thang" and everyone does their own riff on it, but Eduardo keeps it traditional and sources his ingredients from England, following the classic preparation.

Every beer crafted by Ramuri has a similar story behind it, so you can safely assume that while some might not be to your taste, they are lovingly handcrafted with an attention to detail and admirable skill. You can't ask for more at the end of a desert peninsula in a country where the entire concept of microbrews is still in its nascence.

Their menu lists IBUs (bitterness units), Alcohol % and SRM (color intensity) for the nerdier partakers among us, in true brewer fashion.

And hey, you can't argue with the two for one Happy Hour! Someone usually ends up giving me a "free beer" coupon if I visit outside of HH, anyway, so don't stress the hours (4-7?? don't quote me on that), just show up!

They offer tastings and the tastings usually turn into a free flight if the guys get carried away, lol! I feel like this place has a very abundant mindset; I'll talk about ambiance in a bit.

Try the IPA, try the (sp?) Dubbel, and be sure to ask if they have anything new / not on the menu (as of this posting they have an excellent Hefeweizen not listed anywhere!).

--Food

I get appetizers every time I go, and I've had dinner twice at Ramuri. As soon as you sit down (table or bar) they give you a plate with a mini-tostada and another plate with whatever yummy bread and spread they are currently serving (last night it was sundried tomato and olive focaccia with parsely-infused olive oil, an interesting riff on a pesto).

Try the tuna tartare - amazing flavor and a tight presentation.

For dinner I've had one of their pizzas and I've had their tacos. I haven't sprung for a suckling pig, yet!

The prices here are not as high as even Ramuri themselves advertise on their FB page. Their taco dish is - truly - comparable in price to a taco stand, and the quality is of course far better. A local friend who is a taco stand fanatic and has been living in Cabo for six years made special mention of how great a deal their taco plate is, so don't expect to pay 30-50 USD on a main here: you can be in and out for far less, with drinks (at Happy Hour!), if cost is a concern.

--Ambiance

I love this building. Again, someone with an eye for detail, for the overall experience, and the little touches, too, was given authority over the design and layout, and they did a great job. The vaulted ceiling with the cut wine bottle lights, the vintage beer taps, the massive single cut wood bar and large dining tables, the lighting, well-placed and unobtrusive televisions for sporting events, clean, large bathrooms, the sprawling rooftop dining area -- all of it bears scrutiny down to the finest detail.

I've been living in three LatAm countries for the last three years and I've noticed that even in very high end restaurants, resorts, hotels, you name it, you will find the final touches are often neglected, especially when it comes to electrical and plumbing finishings. Nothing of the sort is present at Ramuri; there is no sign of "charmingly (cough, not really) shoddy" construction. Who cares if you're eating tacos in a shack, but in a dressy place, there should not be wires sticking out and thick smears of caulk next to high end fixtures. Maybe I'm OCD, but these guys have done it right, and that counts in my book.

They have live bands up top something like 4 nights a week, though I haven't been, yet. They show big sporting events (I saw a Pacquiao fight here) but it doesn't turn the place into a loud brawly environment; both beer drinking soccer fans and fine diners can naturally co-exist because of the size and layout of the place.

The brewing section of the restaurant has awesome lighting that adds a pleasing component to the eye, and it is kept immaculate, which makes the beer go down smooth. You know you are in the hands of professionals.

The open kitchen, with fire flaring up in the corner of your eye, the smell of sizzling meats, the sounds of cutlery, all provide a pleasurable and visceral experience (for the carnivores out there, especially!).

--What are you waiting for?

Only the most scrutinizing of people will have made it this far, and there's nothing more to say than "Go, already!" Go for a beer and figure the rest out from there. This is Cabo, you can't go wrong!

2  Thank Savvywary
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The only brewery in Cabo, they treat you like family. The food is great and the beer is brewed on site, it's an English IPA style. Make sure you go upstairs and enjoy the music and outdoors

1  Thank Tinamariesayers
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Went here last night for a couple of beers after dinner. They have a really excellent selection of craft beers that they brew on site. On Friday and Saturday they have a band up stairs on the outdoor patio which is where we sat. Staff was very friendly and the beers were quite good. We sampled about 6 different beers at our table and felt they were all worthy brews. This place has only been around about 15 months, so we need to support it as they have made a major investment in the community. We definitely will go back.

1  Thank tej70