“Wonderful week in Cabo!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My husband and I and another couple just returned from a week at the Riu Palace and we loved the resort and our vacation!! I read some of the bad reviews before we left, but I can honestly say that we had no bad experiences or services.
The rooms were cleaned everyday and there was staff constantly cleaning the resort, from the bathrooms, to the lobby to the lamp posts. There are safes in the rooms, and yes they should be updated to electronic ones, but you have a key that you need to take with you when you leave the room. We all had iPads, cell phones, money, jewelry etc and had NO issues with theft.
All of the staff was friendly and helpful in answering our questions, making dinner reservations and even with getting us a cab so we could go to Cabo one evening.
The food was excellent at the buffets and ala cart restaurants (where you get a ton of food).
There is relaxation pool and an activity pool so you can pick the kind of day you want. When you are at the relaxation pool, you can't hear or see anything at the activity pool so you really can relax!
We would definitely return to the Riu Palace!!

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Pittsburghalways
Write a ReviewReviews (6,963)

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Just got back from a week at the Riu Palace and it was worth every penny. The rooms were great, quiet and clean, nice view of gardens and partial ocean view.
Grounds were exceptional, well kept and not a leaf out of place.
The beach was stunning, lots of chairs and shade, white sand and because most people stayed around the pool it was uncrowded as well.
The best part was the food, this is the first time we can say that the buffet was fantastic! We didn't even want t o eat at the a la carte, but did anyway...mexican and steakhouse. Mexican was good, steakhouse was mehhh.
If you golf then your in heaven. We went to four different courses one more beautiful than the next. Ask at the front desk at the resort for help and they will get you an amazing deal, we saved hundreds so do not book anything through travel agents, wait till you get there.
The only bad point, and has nothing to do with the resort, is the long flight plus transfer in Puerto Vallarta and hour and half bus to the resort...long 11 hour day, but was worth it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mica0
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I think you can always take others reviews and opinions at what they are...opinions!
We loved the RIU! My family and I travel out of the country usually twice a year and we were very happy with this resort!

Positives:
Very Clean
Excellent staff-very friendly / Willing to help in any way / Went above and beyond!
Above average food for an all-inclusive
Beautiful land scaping / grounds
Plenty of lounge chairs / umbrellas available
Fantastic views
Child friendly

Negatives:
Not a lot of beach area - we did not care and knew before we went!
There were a lot of cruise ships.

We loved it and hope this review is helpful! We will be returning!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank INDYRN
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Be wary of making reservations at the restaurants. This is the time that the staff like to break and enter. Luckily my friend caught the culprit as he was helping himself to our safety deposit box. So don't bother trying to hide in your room. As per other reviews the staff did not seem to care or to follow up on our complaint.

7  Thank Helen O
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We just returned from a holiday at the RIU Palace. Like most travellers we read alot of reviews before leaving and were concerned about some of the issues with theft, uncooperative front desk staff, not nearly worth the overall 5 star rating and other similar issues.
I am glad to say that this resort is by far the best experience we have had in Mexico having previously travelled to the Mayan and Puerto Vallerta. The accommodations were very good and the staff went out of their way to make our experience an enjoyable one.
The food was exquisite and all of the buffets were serving very good quality food with lots of fresh fish like Red Snapper and Grouper, mussels and shell fish. Our last night at the buffet I was sprinkling fresh octopus on my meal like most people sprinkle salt and pepper!! The al a carte restaurants were very good. The Krystal Fusion restaurant is first class and rivals most higher end restaurants. It is cool from the A/C, so dress accordingly. It is by far the classiest restaurant and a must do.The steak house is part of the main floor buffet area and has a number of tables directly over looking the ocean. We had a surf and turf tenderloin meal that started with a full platter of seafood with all of the best offered locally from the sea. Two of these humungous platters were served to our table of four. The steaks arrived cooked to perfection and offered peppercorn/garlic sauce and had one lobster tail. During our meal, the waiter arrived with another plate of four lobster tails, just because he liked us.
Even in the buffet the waiter would take your plate as you returned to your table and pulled out your chair. \Nothing but the best. It is not all about the tips. I think RIU spends alot of time training staff about customer service and it shows.

Rooms
Our room was 4062 on the west side of the property directly overlooking the infinity pool with a direct ocean view. We were at the bottom of the "U" and directly faced the ocean. Ocean view rooms do not directly face the ocean, whereas ocean front directly face the ocean from the bottom of the "U" . There is so much controversy over the rooms, floor level, quiet side noisy side. From reviews I had read it seemed so confusing. Here is the simple answer for understanding how the resort is set-up:
From the main lobby area looking towards the ocean, the right or west side of the property is called the Quiet side and the left or east side is the activity side for most of the events around the pool throughout the day and therefore is the noisier side of the property. You decide what works best for you personally. The disco is on the second floor on the east side of the quiet area. Not a worry about noise at night unless you are directly above the disco.
I would suggest rooms from 4060-4078 as being some of the best room views.

Transportation-The cheapest way to get around is to catch a Collectivo bus from the main highway. It costs 20 pesos/person to get to downtown or the Marina. To take a cab for 4 people from the hotel is $12.00 U.S.The buses run right up to the property gates.
Costco and Walmart are about a 15 minute walk west or east of the main entrance.

Money- Other than the Collectivo or tipping for the waiters at the hotel most everything revolves around the U.S dollar. In town the locals definitely prefer to take U.S over pesos. You can get U.S cash at the banking machines showing dollars above the terminals. You cannot exchange U.S dollars at the hotel however you can change Canadian for pesos.

Long review but good info. This is a first class resort and the couple we travelled with are also experienced and we all agreed that the RIU chain of hotels is the best we have stayed at. If you don't like it here, then you wouldn't appreciate it anywhere else. This place is the best value for your money. There were no worries about theft at all from our room. Just take the normal precautions you would at any resort. Remember to tip your maid, the person stocking your bar in the room or your waiter in the buffet. A pocket full of $1.00 bills will reap you many rewards and give you excellent service. Enjoy and have a great holiday.

Room Tip: West side, quiet side rooms 4062-4068. Third or fourth floor are the best.
10  Thank stevethetraveller0
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The Riu Palace is a great family resort. Daily activities are divided into two groups, adults and kids so you can get away from your children (or someone elses) whenever you want. The hotel is very large but there is a lot of space for you to be on your own, restaurants are all excellent and nightly entertainment is great.
Weather is generally warm but at night you may need a light sweater as it gets a breeze off the Pacific Ocean.
Trips into Cabo are only a short cab ride ($10) and you can enjoy all the day and night entertainment that Cabo has to offer, and they have lots to offer.
Beach is great but watch out for the water as there are a lot of big waves and strong currents. the marine life is fantastic. The Sea of Cortez hosts many migratory species, such as the Humpback Whale, California Gray Whale, Killer Whale, Manta Ray and Leatherback Sea Turtle, and the world's largest animal, the Blue Whale. There are unusual resident populations of Fin Whales and Sperm Whales that do not migrate annually. This region has historically been a magnet for world class sport fishing activities, with a rich history of sporting world records.
Can't say enough about this area and resort.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My husband, myself and another couple vacationed at this resort from November 4th until November 11, 2011. We have been on many vacations and in my opinion, this resort has been the best so far.
Food: The food was amazing! Especially for an all inclusive. There was a lot of variety, yet it was all high quality and delicious. Krystal was so yummy with a beautiful presentation and great service. The japanese was great too! I am picky about sushi as I lived in Vancouver for many years and I loved it. Great ambience and service there too. The only other reservation we had was the steak house. It was delicious too with a little bit of a different touch. Make sure you go to the Italian buffet at lunch as this was incredible with a beautiful view and to die for Italian food. The food is just one of the reasons I will go back to this resort.

The rooms: The rooms were super clean and even though outdated, still nice. We had a junior suite with a view of the infinity pool and the ocean. There was also a nice sized patio with two chairs. We had a king sized bed and it was hard but after a long day of sun, good food and a few drinks, you won't care. The sheets were fresh, clean and nice. We came back to our room one day with rose petals placed beautifully around our sink. Another day they were placed on the side of the bathtub. A beautiful touch! We put approx. 5 pesos a day on our pillow for the cleaners. They did a fantastic job.

Service: Excellent at all times.

The shows: We only saw a couple of shows but if you go make sure to see Grease. Oh my goodness this show was awesome and there was unexpected comedy added - hilarious!!!

We went on a Rissalena sunset cruise which we made reservations for in advance at home. They only take small groups out at a time so you have to make the reservations well in advance. We loved it and we were the only people that were not return customers. It was from 4pm - 6pm and included an open bar, a great dinner of chicken and ribs and a little dancing at the end. So much fun!!!

The hospital: Yes, unfortunately I got to experience the hospital about my third day in to my vacation. I was sitting on the edge of the infinity pool and lost my balance. I fell about 12 feet backwards and landed on the cement trough for the water to go into. Fortunately, my friend and I had been mingling with two firemen and a nurse in the pool at the time. They jumped over the high infinity wall pool to help me and I believe one got hurt. I was unconcious, my head was split open, and I had a few people tell me that they thought I wasn't going to make it. I went by ambulance to the Amerimed hospital and had cat scans and x-rays to discover I only had a split opened head and a concussion. After getting stitched up and paying a $5000.00 bill, we headed back to the resort to resume our vacation. The doctor from the hotel came to the hospital and translated for us. The care was very good, but it was very scary to be in a hospital in Mexico. We had travel insurance but the insurance company seems to think it was the hotel's responsibility so we are still working this out. Just remember that if you do end up in the hospital, they will not let you go until you pay the bill. Also, we were told that this was not the first incident of someone falling over the wall. Apparantly, the last person this happened to was not as lucky as I was and even though he didn't die, he was not okay. The other infinity pool has a ledge so if you fall off, you will land on that. The large one does not have a ledge. The next day, I saw people sitting all along this wall. Someone is going to die - it is only a matter of time. I expressed my concerns to the hotel. I thanked the one fireman and his wife(the nurse) the next day but never saw the other one again. I wish I had asked them their names as I would like to thank them again. I think I was still in shock the next day.

Besides this little set back, the vacation was wonderful, we met some great friends and we will definitely go back next year. I just won't sit on the infinity pool.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite ocean view - a little more money but worth it!!!!
5  Thank VickiMetters