“Riu Palace Cabo”

Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Huntington Beach, California
“Riu Palace Cabo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We normally don't stay at all inclusive hotels, though we were surprised to find what the package offered was quite reasonable. The facility is nicely designed, great pools, easy access from all rooms to all amenities as well as a white sand beach. It appears that it is well managed and certainly well maintained. Service in all areas was top notch and everyone was always happy to attend our needs with a smile. Great views and location as well.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,572)
  • Polish first
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

It always amazes me what people find to complain about! The Riu Palace is exceptional! We stayed May 18th thru the 25th and absolutely hated to leave. We are in our almost mid 60's and were celebrating our 7th anniversary. I had emailed the hotel a couple of days before our arrival telling them that. They apparently did not get or read the email until we mentioned it after we arrived. Charlie read it and immediately sent a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room. All the staff are extremely friendly, very attentive, and eager to serve your every request and desire. The pool bar staff was exceptional. They kept us "watered" all day. Speaking of the pools, we did stay on the quiet side and spent all of our time at that one. If you want a chair by the pool bar, get there early but if you just want chairs with or without an umbrella they are always available. We loved going down the last flight of stairs to the beach where there are tons of chairs, great shade and breeze under the coconut palm trees. Great place to come after you have baked in the sun by the pool. It was also a great place to watch the beach vendor action and probably take a little siesta. Yes, the sand is very coarse and somewhat hard to walk on but that is just Cabo. So, if you are a beach bum, want to spend a lot of time walkin' the beach, and the coarse sand would ruin your trip, go the the Caribbean instead. But, don't complain about the Cabo sand if you choose to go. You knew. We read lots of complaints about not being able to swim in front of the hotel. Well, that is really the Pacific all up and down the western coast of Mexico. So, if that is your biggest deal, go somewhere else. But, don't complain about it if you go. You knew. You can walk down the beach or take a water taxi to Medano beach where you can swim. Lots of action down there including restaurants, bars, etc. The walk is about 30+minutes. It definitely looks closer than it is.
Water taxies. Great way to get to Lover's Beach, town, etc but do be warned. It can be treacherous getting in and out of them in the waves. Some have ladders but probably less than 50%. I have always been all my life like a "beached whale" trying to get in and then back into a boat whether it's the lake or the sea so we did not even try the water taxi. We watched a lot of younger people do it but I think not without some pretty good bruises to show for it.
We took a fabulous sunset sail with Cabo Sailing. We would highly recommend them. The boat seats a maximum of 12. Ramone and his crew were great. They took us out to Lover's Beach and Divorce Beach, filled us full of a lot of great information, had lots of wine, beer, and mixed drinks as well as snacks. We saw the Dinner Cruise boat which looked really nice if you want to share the sunset with 200 people. Just a different kind of experience. But, something we might do next time. There was also a big catamaran boat doing the sunset thing with probably 30 or 40 people on it. They were up on the decking dancin' and drinking-looked like they were having fun as well. We have been on those type of excursions before and just decided to opt for the more personal, quiet trip with our own crew. Our emphasis this entire trip was to truly relax and we achieved fabulous success.
The restaurants: We had heard the Riu described as a cruise ship on the ground and that is a very good description. There is no way anyone could go hungry! And, the food was very, very good. We did the Krystal one night and it was excellent. The Japanese restaurant was fabulous. Go to that one very hungry as they start you out with enough sushi to fill you up and then you have an appetizer, the main course, and dessert. That restaurant probably has the most ambiance. We did the steak house twice and thought it was very good. I wanted a 2nd lobster tail and our waiter went and got me one! We did not do the Mexican food restaurant as we are from Texas and we believe we invented Mexican food! But. we eat it all we want and we saw a menu full of what we can get every day of the week. Lots of people talk about going to the Mexican food place for lunch cause it is less crowded and has an Italian flavor. It does. But, the buffet in the middle of the resort is not crowded, is open from 11 or so until 5 or so, is very open air, has all kinds of choices, ( I ate my way through boiled shrimp, grouper,mussels, a myriad of salads, some Italian food, Mexican food, the usual hot dogs and hamburgers, and some very good, not frozen but hand cut french fries. Honestly, if someone complains about the food at this place, they would complain about anything and everything. The International Buffet for breakfast is as all describe-outstanding! You could have breakfast or lunch for breakfast there as there is everything in the world to eat. Don't pass up the Bloody Marys there as they are spicy and better than the ones at the pool bars. That restaurant at night is also great. We ate there twice and I had everything from lamp chops to steak, to pork chops, to seafood-you name it-you can find it! I was laughing with a girl from the South about the breakfast. She said, "the two things I have not found at breakfast are".......and I finished her statement with biscults and gravy and grits!" We died laughing because that was all that was missing!
We had absolutely no trouble making reservations for the restaurants and the place was about 80% occupied. I woke up the first morning before 7-too excited and afraid I could be "burnin' daylight"! Went to the reservation desk. There was one person there besides me at 6:55. Got our reservation for the Krystal that night immediately. Now, I think a lot of people check out on Saturdays so that could have had an influence on getting one so easily that am. But, we could go at any time during the day to get reservations to the others. And, if you get one and then change your mind, you just trade in your ticket. We always ate at the later seating. We do not like eating at 6:00-that's drinking time!
Cabo is absolutely gorgeous. The mountains and the dry vegetation are in stark contrast to the lush grounds of the hotels and villas. Reminded us much of Palm Springs-both deserts. It only rains about 5 inches max a year and they told us that was in Sept so keep that in mind for your plans. I can't imagine going there and experiencing 2 or 3 days of rain when there are 360+ rainless ones.

The Entertainment: The Michael Jackson show was great as was the Vegas Revue. We caught snippets of the others as we enjoyed hanging out in the fabulous open air bar adjacent to the magnificent Lobby area at night. Or taking a drink from the bar to our room and hanging out on our balcony and taking in the view of the resort.
The beds: We did not find them hard. They were not 5 star Four Seasons beds but they seemed fine to us. But, we have not gone to the temperpedic mattress yet so that may be some peoples' issue. We did think the pillows lack a bit.
The noise: We did not have issues with people in the hallways all night being loud but we staying on the quiet side. We did think that the maids could take their voice octave levels way way down in the mornings. We mentioned that on the hotel's survey. They mow the grass at least 3 times a week whether it needs it or not. They start mowing before 9 am. Now, we were already up but we have a neighbor at home who seems to love to do that before 9 so we could have done without that.
The drinks: They fall all over you making them for you. They are weak so if you want something stronger just ask for a double. No problemo. They did not have much upper shelf liquor. My favorite is Jack Daniels and my husband's favorite is VO and neither were available. However, that was certainly not the end of the world. We took insulated glasses for the pool and beach and they were handy. But, we forgot them in the room a couple of times and you are really drinking your drink gone before it truly melts.
This is a gorgeous resort and we will come back. We have been south of Cancun before and loved it. I think we will definitely try to Riu Palace there.

Room Tip: We read a lot of the tips about rooms, especially to get a room in the 31-52 range. We had booked a...
3 Thank 460MaureenP
L'Ange-Gardien, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

The Riu Palace was outstanding. The service was great and the food was excelent. No complaints like another Riu I have been to. They always had someone cleaning and not one dirty spot to see in the hotel. The sunrise in the loby bar area every morning was outstanding and the staff always around to help or get anything you needed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Beautiful Resort and setting. I have never been in a cleaner hotel in my life. Only complaint was that a wedding party from Calgary arrived on the same flight as us and were very noisy and abnoxious. The Sunwing pilot threatened to have the plane greeted by police if they didn't settle down. The tiled floors carry the sound quite well and we were kept awake all night from these people partying hard all night and slamming their doors. No problems after that. The food in the specialty restaurants was OK and the lunch buffets were just OK, but the dinner buffet was superb with an overwhelming selection. Alcohol is abundant and there is always someone there to bring you another before your empty glass hits the table. Excellent service everywhere. We had just the standard room but it was on a top floor with a good view of the ocean (actually Sea of Cortez) from our balcony. Beds are a little on the hard side but not as bad as others would have you believe. We booked our vacation through Sunwing and we were impressed with their service and patience of their staff. The price was unbelievably low and a great bargain for what we received. This may not be a five star as listed, but it was definely a 4.5 star at a 3 star price. We highly recommend this resort and I am sure we will be back.

massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

This was my husband and I 2nd time at the RIU Palace and it was just as great as the first. I wish I could have stayed forever.. HAHAHA...

Rooms: The rooms are nice and kept clean. Yes, the beds were hard but I still got a good night sleep. The fridge was fully stocked everyday w/water, beer etc. Our room was always cleaned in a timely fashion and the housekeeping staff is amazing.. They do work soo hard so please leave them a little something for their service and they always have a smile on their faces.

Food: I liked the food allot at this resort. You can always find something to eat. We ate at Krystal and The steakhouse. Both were good. Krystal was a little too fancy for me and the food portions were a little small but it was good. Krystal is the only rest. id say you would have to wake up and make reservations at 7am. Also, we ate at the buffets for breakfast, lunch and most dinners. The mexican rest. lunch buffet is allot quieter which was nice. I do miss my daily mimosas at breakfast!!!

Pools: My husband and I spent most of our time at the quiet pool. We still had a great time and met allot of other couples and turned it into our own little party. Im not a fan of techno music so we didnt venture over to the party pool. The water in the pool was cold but very refreshing! The waiters at the pool are always walking around making sure you have drinks. Again, they work sooo hard and they are running around and the heat to make sure everybody is happy.. We always gave a tip everyday we were there and it goes a long way!

The beach - You can not swim in the ocean. It is sooo dangerous but Id take a water taxi and have them bring you to lovers beach. If you do it thru the resort it's only $10. it is worth it. It's gorgeous there and you can go in the ocean. The taxi will also take you around los arcos and then drop you off. We spent about an hour there which was a perfect amount of time for us. Make sure you bring some beers with you!

Entertainment- The nightly entertainment was good. The shows were good and the staff make it a good time. One night the have a competition called "The ideal couple" and it really is soooo funny! I laughed soo hard my cheeks hurt. We didnt go to the club at night so I can't comment on that.

Gym - Ok, this is the only negative thing I have to say about the place... The treadmills are old and the machines aren't great but I made the best of it. It did force me to run out on the property and continue my workout on the beach which was much harder!

The town - It really is safe there. My favorite was Cabo wabo and the house band is great and allot of fun. We did go to the gigglin marlin which was great too. Also, don't forget to grab some drinks at the little bars along the way! Especially, sangrias! The people there and the owner is great... We did get late night tacos from a couple of local rest. The food was DELICIOUS and fresh!!!

weather - The weather was PERFECT everyday. Not a cloud in the sky. The nights did get chilly so Id bring a sweater..

check in/check out - Check in was soooooo easy and loved the drink they gave you. Check out was easy as well but sad :(!

Overall I'd go back to the RIU Palace agian... Ive been to allot of all-inclusive resorts and this one is the best! I had such a great time and was sad to leave!

Turlock, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I will definitely go again! We had a blast! The hotel is spotless; the employees are friendly and very helpful. Your room fridge and bar is refilled every day! You never go thirsty there!! There was a quiet pool and a active pool; both with swim up bars which was pretty awesome! Make your dinner reservations the day you check-in; they book fast! A lot of activities at the hotel and on the beach! The weather was perfect!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I loved the Riu! The pictures were not deceiving. The property was immaculate! The people were very friendly. The room was a nice size. Plenty of space and liquor for two people. Lol! The food was decent they had something for everyone. We had a chance to dine at 3 of the 4 restaurants on the property. The best was the Steakhouse. The Japanese was the second best in my opinion. This was my first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and it was awesome. I have never been to a hotel were they insist on you drinking tequila! We will definitely be returning to the Riu!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,554 reviews
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,201 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!