“Very Unsafe!!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I had gone to Riu Palace in Cabos San Lucas for New Years Eve. We reserved a beautiful room that had two levels with a spiral staircase and a jacuzzi on the second floor outside overlooking the ocean. The hotel and the room were gorgeous there's no doubt about that. My complaint generally has to do with the way that the hotel is designed and the methods in which they respond to emergencies. I'll explain, the second floor had three steps up that led you to the jacuzzi. Those three steps and the whole floor surrounding the jacuzzi were covered with ceramic tiles. There were no banisters located on the stairs. So I'm sure you can imagine what happened...my husband and I were in the jacuzzi and when we got out of the jacuzzi to go downstairs to the room, I slipped going down the stairs which had no bannister to hold on to, and fell on the concrete floor below the stairs face first. I had a big gash and black and blue on my forehead and was bleeding profusely on my right elbow. My husband contacted the front desk to ask if there was a nurse or doctor on duty, the man replied that there was no nurse or doctor on duty. The man in the front desk told us that if we needed medical attention he can call a private doctor to come look at me and that we would incur the expense. At that point my husband asked the front desk to call the doctor and asked the man if he could provide him with the first aid kit in the meantime because my cut would not stop bleeding. The man at the front desk and the hotel manager told my husband that THERE WAS NO FIRST AID KIT IN THE WHOLE HOTEL!!! Can you believe that in a hotel in which so many children and families go to they don't even have a first aid kit. The manager said that he was willing to go to the store to buy me a bandaid if I wanted him to but it would take some time. We never got the bandaid and the doctor that the hotel called took four hours to show up. The doctor said that I needed 48 stitches and stitched me up with what looked like the hook that is attached to the end of the prosthetic arm of a pirate. The doctor was not very sanitary, I had to ask him to please wash his hands. The visit from the doctor cost my husband and I almost $900.00. I had to wear an arm brace and was taking penicillin, therefore, I could not have any cocktails for the remainder of the trip. When I got home, after a week or two, I paid a visit to my personal doctor so he can look at the wound and take out my stitches. My doctor had told me that it had not healed yet because it was stitched incorrectly and had to take out the stitches and re-stitch my elbow once again. The whole process was very painful and a nightmare. I will NEVER GO TO A RIU PALACE RESORT AGAIN!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JHK3078

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had booked this hotel months back for a multi-family vacation. After booking we read several reviews mentioning theft issues. Knowing this ahead of time we came ready and prepared to avoid this at all costs. We still brought computer, I pad and cell phones but planned on hiding them very well in the room. We never used the safe on purpose due to the numerous theft issues with the safe.

Our first day was without a hitch- welcoming staff- we had a suite and they are beautiful and right on the beach. The room had musty/mildew smell in it but it didn't bother us too much after being in there awhile. The rooms are very large and come with a fridge full of cold water and beer. The bottled liquor in your room is watered down and low end brands but you can rectify that by just doubling what you normally drink. Also the pool bar drinks are weak, but just ask for doubles or a float of this or that on top and it will take care of all those issues.
We did not eat in the hotel this night as we had a special dinner at Mona Lisa's down the road- I highly recommend this as a special dinner. Beautiful outdoor seating on cliffs over looking the sea as the sunset. Amazing ambiance and food. Well worth it!!

2nd day we ate breakfast in the buffet area- pretty decent food, something for everyone. Some things just taste different being in a different country and you have to account for that. Lunch was more of the same- things are pretty standard and don't wow you but it gets the job done and works for most people. Dinner on the other hand was another story. We had reservations at the Steak place which is the same place they serve lunch at. They give you 3 choices for an entrée and most of us chose the steak and lobster. I don't know what kind of meat they were using but it was prime. The lobster was a joke. It was dried up and no bigger than 3 inches is size. No drawn butter was provided to try and rehydrate it back to life. We all pretty much said this was the worst meal we have ever eaten.

When returning back to our suite our door was wide open, despite the fact we had the "Red do not disturb card" on the door. Thank god we hid things very well and did not put anything in the safe as nothing was missing. We called security and they apologized but said the manager was not in and he would contact us in the morning. We were pro active and went down to see Victor and he came up to our room with his head of security to use his machine that shows when the room has been entered with the card. Sure enough someone had come in at 9:37 pm from the housekeeping crew even with the red card on the door. He apologized profusely and assured us he would speak to housekeeping to ensure they did not come into our room. Based on the continuous reports of this happening there is something internal going on and Victor must either look the other way or be a part of the problem.

3rd day it rained really hard and we had a pool of water in our room near the window and couch area so large we had to move all the furniture and call housekeeping to come and clean it up. Now we know why the musty smell is in the room.

As the week went on we determined that this hotel does fine for their buffet meals, but their specialty meals miss the mark dramatically so we chose as a group to eat our dinners in town and so we only ate one dinner the rest of the week in the hotel and that was buffet which was good.

On our 4th day there my brother came back to his room with his door wide open like ours, but again nothing was missing because of our very secretive hiding places and locked baggage. This time Victor said he there was no incident of housekeeping being in the room.

The hotel itself is beautiful and well manicured. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. We determined the hotel is still a great value if you just use it as a hotel for breakfast and lunch and eat out for dinners.

I highly recommend Pancho's, Mi Casa and for an extra special occasion Edith's( about $100 -per person but we all claimed it a "Prison Meal") soooo good.

It's too bad they don't get a handle on their security issues as it is a beautiful hotel, but we will not be back as there are other hotels were you don't have to worry about someone coming into your room. This is not an isolated incident.

Room Tip: The suites are worth it- very large and right on the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SeattleSunSeeker11
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I had a great time at Riu Palace, After Riu Santa Fe ruined our day, the sent us to Riu Palace, everybody was so nice, great service, our room had great view of ocean and pool, great stay. Staff was friendly, they told us how to get around town without paying too much money, on my birthday they prepare a table with balloons for my family and me. They even brought me cake. So nice

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I usually don't write reviews but after my wonderful visit to st Maarten and visit to riu caribe I feel a need to. My stay was in October 2012, I loved staying here at Riu Palace Los Cabos, the resort is very beautiful. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, the landscape and groundsi are beautiful and well kept. The rooms are old but I love the wood work and the rooms were kept very clean so not a problem. The food at the restaurant was very good and you can go use the families next door at Santa Fe as well as eat at the buffets. The specialty restaurants were great and food delicious. We got reservations for all of them. The steak house was my favorite. We made one reservation for Krystal before our arrival via email and it was granted. You have to get downstairs by 7am to make other reservations for specialty restaurant or you can just go to the buffet. I have nothing bad to say about Riu Los Cabos and plan to visit again. We went ziplining, however I wouldn't recommend unless you are very fit for the hiking. The clubs downtown were very nice, however we couldn't get into Cabo Wabo cause they had something special going on. I only hate I didn't register my info so I could receive pts as the riu has become my home away from home. I wish you could send some of your staff to Riu caribe to show them how to treat your clients (family) when they visit. Thanks for a wonderful stay

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at the Riu Palace Cabo July 27-31 and it was better than I ever expected. This was my first time going to Cabo but I've stayed at many Rius in the past. This was such a great destination and resort. We were originally booked at the Riu Sante Fe but a few days before our arrrival we upgraded to the Palace. Im so glad we did!! We got free wifi and higher grade alcohol. The food was better than expected, the service was friendly and the resort is gorgeous!

Room Tip: The hotel as an active side and a quiet side
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Have stayed here 6 times; last visit in April 2013. Money stolen from our safe. Here are the facts:
** Arrived late afternoon. Put all our valuables away in the safe & wore the infamous safe key around our necks as we always do. Went down by the pool. This was around 4:00 p.m.
** Came up at 5:40 in the afternoon and saw that our bed was turned down for the evening. In all our years of travel, never have we had our bed turned down for the evening this early.
** Accessed our safe - money was missing.
** Spoke with Victor in Security - he isolated the fact that an entry was made into our room by housekeeping at 5:21 in the afternoon.
** I asked Victor why Housekeeping would access our room at 5:21 p.m. to turn our bed down for the evening - isn't this strange? He would not comment or acknowledge anything strange about this.
** Also asked Victor why the pool hut asks for the room number every time you want a towel. This is a sure fire way to let staff know you are out of your room. He seemed surprised by this practice.

- We had $$$ stolen. Victor the Security Manager treated this with apathy.
- We asked to be moved to another room - he proceeded to give us defective rooms: 1 with a broken sliding glass door latch, and 1 with another key safe (after our theft, we asked for an electronic safe).
- Middle management was surprised by Victor's mismanagement of this issue.

There are many options in Cabo. We will not return to the Riu. We've heard of theft by others on this board, and now have experienced it as well. In all cases, Management mismanages the situation with apathy & neglect.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank PalmTreeAddict
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Went to the Riu for a wedding party. First time staying at the Riu.The Riu was a fun, active resort. The food was just OK. Breakfast buffet was the best. Lunch and dinner I could do without. The Mexican restaurant was the best for dinner but you have to make reservations. The servers in the restaurants are very nice and friendly and really do try to cater to your needs.The rooms have issues. We had a toilet that did not like to flush. Had to mess with it every time. Our room did not have bed bugs but it did have very active cockroaches. We visit Mexico a lot and this is the first time I saw busy little cockroaches in my room. Yuch!!! I did not have a problem with my door, (maybe because I tipped our room maid everyday) but my son came back to his room with his door wide open. My other son had money and a cell phone stolen from his room. We had a fun time, but would I stay here again? I don't think so. Too many other nice resorts in Cabo to choose from and I have had better experiences elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family