“Had a great time”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

The staff are extremely nice, and accommodating. The food was good, the pool was warm. The beach does a big drop off and the water is to rough to swim in but it is beautiful and you can stare at it from the infinity pools!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Jlipovsky
Write a ReviewReviews (6,859)

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Beautiful Hotel ,clean,inviting,nice ocean front view that we had requested,people were very nice all day long, day after day with a smile at all times.Service at the pool side very good,in. The morning I got our towels,picked a nice area,than I went for breakfast outdoors,of course,the buffet was fantastic,everything that your heart desired it was there,morning,lunch,dinner.All the staff from the entrance to the exit spoke perfect English.The wheatear was also perfect,in the morning 58 -60also in evening the same,during the day beautiful blue blue sky,no humidity at all ,I asked them if this is all year long?no,between April and November gets up to high 90ths or more wth lots of humidity,so We recommend first week of Januarie,like we did, we left on the 1 st for 10 days,Paradise,I do hope that you experience it,enjoy!!!'nnn

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front room if you can.
2  Thank Edith Z
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Four of us just got back from our trip from the Riu.
This Is my second time here and we had another great time! We had a few issues with the rooms the first night but kinda new it could happen considering they were at capacity. It all got worked out the next morning. New Years eve was great the buffet was awesome fire works and drinks and music , what more could you ask for?
Staff was always accomadating for us and really made this a great trip. Our family really enjoyed the specialty Restraunts , I read alot of reviews on how bad they can be but really we thought they were great. And at not one time did we have any problems booking them. They even accomadated my parents when someone cancelled so they could go to krystal a cpl times.
The Beds are hotel beds we slept fine and had no issues with room service or attendents. Our room was always spotless when we got back and nothing was ever missing from any of our rooms. Maids were always friendly and helpful if you needed anything. The pools were great yes it does suck that you have to reserve a chair and the towel cards could go but these are all things that are well posted before you get there so no complaints here. Manual at the quiet pool bar was awesome and made sure we were always takin care of as well as Esmeralda in the Sports bar exstreamly nice lady and always makes sure you are okay. Yes we did tip probably more then we should but I have no issues tipping to someone who works there but off and deffinatly deserves it. And either way you get served but the extra tip for these people that work so hard to make your vacation good goes a long way:-)
I think my one complaint was that it was really hard to get bailys for our room for coffee in the morning and that is one thing that we maybe should have just bought a bottle. Other then that we had a great time.
We were in rooms 4003 and 2002 and they were both great!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 02Kcraig
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My wife and I just returned from a week long stay here and loved it. Very few negatives to speak of.
Arrival: Beware of the timeshare sharks at the airport. After customs and immigration you enter a round room without the exit clearly marked and everyone telling you they are coordinating your transportation....all lies. Keep walking through the unmarked sliding doors..then you enter another room of timeshare salesmen...keep walking..your rides will be outside the airport. Travel to the hotel takes about 40 minutes and you are welcomed with a cold drink and quickly checked in.
Rooms: Very nice. We booked a partial ocean view room and it was as advertised. Yes there is a slightly musty smell that people seem to complain about. It's not bothersome, I found it in any tropical destination. If you don't want the smell, go to Alaska...I've been there and you won't have any problems there ;).
Staff: The stars of the place. They work extremely hard for long hours and are always friendly and helpful. To the reviewer that stated they only give good service for tips, I assure you that is untrue. I always tip a dollar or two but witnessed many others that received the same wonderful service without leaving anything.
Food: To the reviewer that stated that 98% of their wedding party found the food terrible...that is complete bunk that you are making up. For the price you pay (not $4000 per person per week) it is absolutely fantastic. Always lots of choices: fish, beef, vegetables, fruit, vegetarian, fresh smoothies, sushi, pasta, pizza, fresh made Mexican tacos...etc And always tasty. The Mexican night and Sushi night at the Buffet were excellent. I had about 6lbs of tuna tataki myself (not really). The lunch buffet is a little chaotic.
Pool: We always spent some time around the pool everyday and enjoyed it. Wow...could use a little more heat in both the pools. Certainly cooled you off. People reserving prime chairs with towels and never showing up is annoying to no end. I guarantee I am going to start using my passive aggressive side on my next trip and removing a few towels.
Drinks: Good with fast service. Tip: either ask for brands like Bacardi and you won't get the cheap stuff. Orrrrr put a crowbar in your wallet and give them a dollar once in a while...you will get it without asking.
Internet: Our only real downside. Very frustrating. It would work for 5 minutes and then go down. Or you would have to continually enter your password.
Guests: (out of resorts control) Generally nice and well behaved but wow..there are some rude ignorant people who expect wayyy too much for what they paid...treating some of the amazing staff very poorly...enough said.

Overall a great stay and we hope to be back.

16  Thank Bobo5578
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We just got back from a 5 day stay for my husbands 40th b day with 14 additional people! We had a great time, clean rooms, great food, amazing staff! No complaints, read other reviews about theft, and I want to shout out to the housekeeping. I dropped $$$ in my room & had no idea. They found it & returned to us. We would defiantly stay here again. We stayed at riu Santa Fe & this is much better.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank kventura
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Registering we requested a room above ground level because we are 4 women traveling together. We booked on "book it". We received a room musty smelling on ground level although the hotel was at 70% occupancy level. When we complained of location and smell we were told we could not upgrade without an additional because we booked on Bookit ! Tonight getting back to our room it smelled of sewage and feces(poop). I called the front desk and was told they were cleaning the system and would least 1 hour on this floor. My warning DO NOT BOOK on BOOKIT or THIS HOTEL.....more to follow tomorrow as we have a few more days!

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank BarbDon
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed for a long weekend, Jan. 10-13. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. It is obvious that their training for customer service is quite good. The property is extremely well taken care of and rooms are clean and in excellent repair. My only "beef" about the room is related to the bed linens. The pillows and sheets were very second-rate.

It's an all-inclusive resort, so there are many food options. The breakfast buffet is genuinely awesome for selection and freshness. The remaining food options (lunch/dinner buffet, theme restaurants) offer lots of volume, but very average quality, at best. Their most "exclusive" restaurant, Kristal, only accepts "day of" reservations, which makes it nearly impossible to get in. There has to be a better way. The drinks were universally awful. Seriously. There's a wide selection of "tropical" drinks that are much too sweet and are very light on the liquor. Drinking unlimited drinks isn't what I had in mind...all I wanted was some semblance of quality. Even the wine was pretty bad...and your choices were basically "red or white." An important point...the liquor is undeniably "cut" with water. It's easy to determine when you order a shot to supplement your drink and try it independently. It's been deliberately watered down and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It's fundamentally dishonest and I have a problem with that...even if you're like me and not drinking for big buzz. Disappointing.

The only other thing that's disappointing has nothing to do with the property and their management. It's about Americans...the stereotypical ugly American. I'm an American and it was sad to watch a significant enough number of adults in their 40s-50s like they were on spring break. It was pathetic. This is my first experience with an all-inclusive resort and may be my last. My countrymen treated their hosts poorly and, unfortunately, didn't have a clue about the impression they were leaving. Drink until stupefied, puke, repeat. It wasn't the majority of folks...just a very significant minority. Over and out.

Room Tip: Unless you can choose your neighbors, good luck with that...
3  Thank Steverino623