“No swim beach!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my first all inclusive vacation. I am really glad I booked with "apple Vacations" because it was very confusing at the airport upon landing. Very crowed with a lot of buses, vans and people/strangers telling you to come with them for a ride to your hotel. But apple vacations personnel were there waiting for you with their apple shirts and signs leading you away from the chaos directly to their bus to take you to the hotel, that took about 45 minutes.
soon before arriving at our hotel there was a lot of construction around and I wasn't sure where I was being taken to, but upon arriving A beautiful palace appears. Upon check in we were greeted with cocktails, which I really needed cause it was a hot bus trip and drank about 4 in 3 minutes! We had a mini suite, (think all rooms might be) but of course I wanted to look at other rooms to make sure I got the best view, which was a lot of walking and a waste of time, and I ended up back at my original room which faced the pool and view of the ocean on the second floor. The room was small but nice and I especially enjoyed the balcony. Our refrigerator was stocked with beer and cold drinks and there were full bottles of booze mounted on the wall, like a soda fountain, where you could just poor as much as you wanted!

Changed into bathing suit asap, and went to browse the pools, beach and food buffet. The all day food buffet had really good food and I loved the grilled meat with onions and peppers etc, with all the toppings and home made tortillas. Then I took the ramp down to the beach. Tried to figure out why no one was swimming or laying on the beach and then found out from the life guard, that the current was too strong there and you weren't allowed to swim and later found out people who didn't listen, that 5 people had died in a week. Looking up at the hotel I realized I was in a fortress surrounded by 40-60 foot walls. There is three pools, the party pool, semi party pool and the quiet pool. They had Jacuzzis which when empty you still had to call and make an appt, which I thought was dumb rule.

I was glad to find out my room was on the walkway across to the pools and restaurants, however there were tons of staircases to climb and very few elevators for this large property. I have a bad knee and walking up and down 25-30 stairs straight up from the pool and food area was very painful. I don't know how elder or disabled people would be able to get around. there really was no alternative and the only ramp for a wheel chair was to the beach, where no one went anyway! A nice employee saw my dilemma and was nice to ask me if I wanted him to carry me? Being too proud I said no thanks.

Went to dinner and was very impressed. The dining room was set up buffet style but no ordinary buffet. It was set up and decorated with class. They had white linens, carved out animals out of fruit and a very wide selection of food. We had 2-3 waiters at our table, very attentive, it you looked at them they came over to see if you needed something!
The desserts are my favorite part of my meal, but the desserts needed some help, kind of cardboardy !

Next day breakfast buffet was same wide range of food and your coffee cup was never less than half way full. The food was delicious and meticulously served and wait service was flawless. Now to the swimming pools, Party pool was full, but I decided to start slow with the semi party pool, I was by myself (girlfriend wanted to read at the quiet pool), I walked around and introduced my self and had no problem finding people to hang with. People brought us drinks if they saw our glasses were less than 1/3 full. The service at the pool was awesome, however reading other reviews I think the drinks were watered down, even when I watched them poor from the bottle, because I rarely drink and I had about 8 drinks in 4 hours and never felt any affect.

Took a break from the pool and headed towards the beach hawkers to see what they were selling, I bought the typical shirts, covers, hats, jewelry etc. I even got my prices cheaper than people who went to town,

The weather was perfect 75-80, this was my 4th time to Cabo so I didn't really care if I made it to town or not. Barely had time to eat dinner, change and make it to the floor shows, which I thought were hysterical and entertaining. Next door at the Santé Fe hotel (which you can go to if you are staying at the Riu) was where the real partiers were and a disco, and after four days upon checking out I discovered there was a beautiful piano bar over looking the ocean! I was bummed this is where the best sunset could be seen and I never knew it was there!

The hi-light and the closest to the ocean I got was the releasing of the baby turtles. I was impressed with the care the releasers had to make sure they made it to the ocean after hatching. The made a path, watched for crabs which would eat them, and keeping people from getting to close. I of course wanted to get closer for a video, cause on my I phone they looked like ants.

If you want to go to town it would be about a 5 dollar taxi ride, many people went to Wal-Mart to get their souvenirs Yes a Wal-Mart ! I did not go wanting to help the local economy.

In summary, the food, and service was excellent! I probably wont stay there again though as there was no swim beach. and because the amount of stairs I had to walk and lack of elevators for this size of a resort. The property was immaculate, for the amount of people there. There was not a crumb on the floor in the restraunt or an empty glass or cigarette anywhere. The worker bee's and wait staff, were awesome and seemed to enjoy their job of making you happy. The front desk was not over welcoming and when I made a special trip to tell the top Manger how well the staff was doing she seem nonchalant! Also I notice over 75% of the guests were not tipping the employees which is not proper. The trip did not include staff tips and those people work their butts off! So take 100.00 in $1's and 5's for tipping. Some of the staff worked 18+ hours and still were very happy to serve you! Remember this is a generally poor country, and if you can afford to stay at this hotel, you can afford to tip!

Upon departure I Loved the airport liquor store and bought so much I needed people to help me carry it all on the plane. Get their early they have free samples and unique items for duty free purchase.

Room Tip: Unless you want a garden view, ask for a ocean view room. If handicap, get a room close to elevators...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jbway
Write a ReviewReviews (7,012)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Beautiful and spacious resort. Great proxy to the airport with very scenic drive along the coast. Biggest downside was that guests were not allowed to use the beach at all due to where the hotel is located and the intensity of the tide. Food is okay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was a family vacation organized to attend a wedding of our relative and we made our reservation through Sunwing. It was on May 5th 2014 that we boarded the plane from Vancouver Airport. I was impressed that the flight attendant was able to talk and calm few noisy guys. Transfer to hotel was excellent. My wife and I were very impressed by the way our room was kept clean and neat, decorated with fresh flowers each day, and decorated with a "towel made bunny" and "towel made Peacock" that cheered us all over. Food and drinks were also excellent although the hotel does not serve my favourite Hot Chocolate during Dinner at the Main Dinning Hall where buffet is served. At the pool....ask for "Margarita or wine" and Mr. Ramon come running (and I mean actual running not jogging) with a tray full of filled up orders. I loved the way he baptized me Pedro instead of Peter. If there is somebody who needs to be promoted...I guess Romon deserve it. I recommend this resort to any couple or newly weds.
Thank you. Peter Njenga

Room Tip: Ocean View forth floor. Our room was 4053... a corner suite. Pretty good to view the ocean and hear...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Pros: Gorgeous property. Pools are fabulous and it's clean. Staff is nice. Close to downtown.

Cons: beds are terribly hard - and small. We had a two bed room and If the beds were full sized I would be surprised. I am glad we didn't have four people with us. Also, drinks are terrible! Even with tipping the waiters (which I felt was expected), there is no liquor in them. It really disappointed me. You want to relax on vacation and lay by the pool with a cocktail. . . well I drink mojitos and they were just club soda, sugar and lime/mint. If there was any vodka in them (even when ordering a double), you could have fooled me. And it took forever to get a drink by a waiter. Food at the buffet was good. Specialty restaurants not as good. Did not get to try the Japanese one though. The steakhouse was good and the Mexican was too. I stayed at this same property in 2005 and had a different experience - the beds were better and the alcohol stronger.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jkfjd
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Mysteriously my previous review was deleted. Food poisoning, musty dirty rooms. Beware of the reviews. This place is way over rated. In a group of ten everyone got sick for a few days and some of us are on anti biotics after a month of returning home. I've been to various parts of Mexico with probably 10 to 15 trips under my belt and have never gotten so sick as I did here. Fortunately my kids did not get sick and had a good time, they are both under five years old. If you enjoy buffets and crowds this may be your place...

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Mallard197
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The food is very good, the resort is clean and the staff was always friendly. The setting is gorgeous, and the resort is very close to town. It's a beautiful place. We were impressed with the food - it was delicious, and they had great varieties.

If it weren't for the nighttime noise, we'd go back every year. We really had a great time and enjoyed the amenities, but I never had one good night's sleep because of the noise. With alcohol included in the all-inclusive, you can expect a lot of sloppy drunk people getting lost, arguing and laughing in the corridors, which are tile/concrete/stone, so the noise echoes. The doors are not sound-proofed. I was awakened nightly - several times - with sounds of people arguing, crying, yelling, joking, laughing ...

I definitely would not take kids to this resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N0elleinaz
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The resort is very pretty. The food was good, not great. The buffet was better than the specialty restaurants but I am picky about my food. The reason I will not stay is the beds are terrible. I had the same experience two years ago at a Riu in Montego Bay Jamaica. This is my 5th time at a Riu and the last two experiences were not as good as my previous three. My other pet peeve is the liquor. I do not believe they mix their drinks very strong and I am not certain the liquor in the bottle is the brand on the outside of the bottle. I had the same experience in Jamaica. The spa was nice but I don't recommend the couples massage in the afternoon. The noise on the beach made the experience not as relaxing as it should have been. I would prefer to vacation less often and stay in a nicer place.

Room Tip: Perhaps a honeymoon suite or an upgraded room may give a better sleep quality.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends