“Family Time”

Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Jackson, Mississippi
“Family Time”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The views were breathtaking! The staff were very friendly and the hotel was constantly being cleaned. The room we stayed in needs upgrading and bed was a not very comfortable. Good thing is we didn't spend a lot of time in our room! I took my two adult children that just graduated from college. We spent our days by the pool enjoying water aerobics, water volleyball, bingo and the rifle game! The activities director Sergio was very attentive and made sure we had a great time! The drinks were a little watered down according to my kids (I don't drink). They had many non alcoholic choices. The food was always fresh and there was plenty of it. The tacos by the pool were my favorite. Make sure you go see the shows at night they are funny and quite entertaining. We ate in the steak house and the Japanese restaurant which were delicious. The last day we ventured out to the city...Getting a taxi should run about 12-14 dollars depending on who you ask. We shopped at the local markets, ate at Cabo Wabo (which is owned by Sammy Hagar). The food was delicious but expensive. The only draw back to this hotel is that the noise from the hallways echo's so if you are an early to bed person or want to sleep in late go somewhere else. You can hear people talking our laughing from your room when they are coming in early in the am or late at night. I would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,597)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at Riu Palace in May and had a great time. My overall experience far exceeded my expectations, and I would highly recommend this hotel.

We got a partial ocean view room, which overlooked the pool and you could see the ocean if you looked around the corner. It really didn't make or break the experience, and the extra cost was negligible. The room itself was a decent size, with a couch/seating area separated from the bedroom area. We got a two-bed room, but the beds were pretty small. It was slightly bigger than a twin bed, but slightly smaller than a double bed. The beds weren't very soft, but they were comfortable enough.

The mornings were a bit noisy as housekeeping starts going around and cleaning the rooms. The rooms aren't very soundproof, so we were woken up by the sounds basically every day. That was a little bit annoying, but not a huge deal since we were so tired that we just went back to sleep.

Warning - the bathtub is extremely slippery. I slipped while taking a shower my first night there and cut my lip pretty badly. My friends all almost slipped in the bathtub as well, even after my experience. I'm young and very mobile...I would hate to imagine what would happen if that wasn't the case.

The food at the buffet was very good, especially during dinner. We had lobster two of the nights, and some great steak and seafood the other nights. I didn't expect much from the buffet since it's all-inclusive, and it far exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't waste time with the reservation-required restaurants. The buffet was better than any of those. The Mexican restaurant was so bad we left and went to the buffet. We went to the Japanese restaurant and ended up going to the lunch buffet afterward as well. The French restaurant and steakhouse were both decent.

The pools were great and there are two swim-up bars. The cocktails were all a bit too sweet, but we fixed that by requesting the drinks with half the sugar and extra alcohol :). Same with all the rest of the bars in the hotel - they all have the same cocktail menu. There is also a bar/lounge with a very small snack bar that is open 24 hours a day, which is nice. They also have name-brand alcohol, including Absolut, Jack Daniels, Tanqueray, etc. Nice bonus!

Amazing views from almost everywhere in the hotel. There was a bug/mosquito problem while we were there, but I'm not sure if it was because of the time of year or because of all the plants and vegetation on the property. We didn't have any problems when we went downtown or outside the resort.

It is a $15 cab ride from the hotel to downtown, which isn't too bad. You can also walk there, but it's about 2+ mile walk in the hot sun! The beach right outside the resort isn't swimmable, since the waves there get very big (>3 ft!). If you walk down the beach 10 minutes or so, you get to a swimming area. They also have water taxis that take you across the water for about $15/person.

The service was amazing everywhere in the resort. They went above and beyond to help us, and I was very satisfied. I would stay here again! I would just be extra careful in the shower this time...

Room Tip: Rooms aren't very soundproof, so try to get a room away from the elevators.
1 Thank babyrice
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We checked in and out of this place without any additional charges. We scattered a few tip dollars around, even left a couple for the ladies sweeping the floor in the bar and lobby. Other than that it's all here for your fat butts to consume at no extra charge. Better than a cruise ship. Eat and drink as much as you can stand Don't blame anyone but yourself if you can't consume it all. For an all inclusive this place is top of the line from the buffets and reservation restaurants to the friendly attitude of the employees and the clean accommodations. . Bottled water is everywhere but we also drank the tap water with no problem. The only stomach issue we had was because we ate and drank too much. But we marched on into the buffet line filling our plates and glasses with hideous amounts of food and drink. We were popping lobster tails into our mouth like they were chicken mcnuggets. Go here if you want the best all inclusive you'll ever experience.

Room Tip: Our ocean front room was great and probably a little quieter since it's on the end of the hallwa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob B
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Spent a week here. Pools are amazing, service is excellent. Bring money for tips. Entertainment at night was awesome. The beds werent what I was expecting, a little on the hard side. Everything exceeded my expectations. Restaurants were some of the nest food ive ever had. Ill definitely go back to a riu resort. Already planning next year!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank maidenofmidas23
Napanee, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

From start to finish this resort is completely five plus stars!!! Beauty surrounds you & you do feel well taken care of..the rooms are spacious & clean..beds huge..food is good & delicious..since there are so many pools to swim in, lots of fun..your also located right at the ocean & can swim or lay on beach..you also can walk to an amazing boutique style mall called Luxury Avenue..everything from Cartier to Diesel is there...Tiffanys etc..back To the resort you'll find lots of activities & day trips...less then a mile away lots of shopping at the markets..walk along the beach & you will see a few movie stars on the beach & the resorts they stay in...very friendly & happy place to stay...

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank KnAbear
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This resort is huge and breathtaking, the infinity pools are what makes it, the Disco was great at night. The night shows were good.. Close venture into town by taxi. I would recommend this resort to get married they have a private place where no tourist can get a peek.. Keep that in mind for all the future brides.. I love cabo.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the 3rd floor, ours was so close to the lobby bar and 24 hour snack bar.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for a friends wedding during the week of the May long weekend. I am someone who likes to plan things out and learn a lot about the place I am staying. So naturally, I scanned over the bad reviews. All I read was theft, terrible food, rude employees, hard beds, and so on. Want to know my complaint about this place? You can't swim at the beach in front of the hotel . . . that's it! This place was amazing. Yes, the rooms could use a little updating, but overall they were not bad at all. Yes, they smell a little musty due to the dampness of the area, but you get used to it, or just go across the street to Walmart and buy some air freshener. The beds were not comparable to sleeping on a cloud, but I didn't find a problem with them at all. In fact I slept very very well every night at the hotel... an no, I wasn't drunk. Yes, the hallways get loud at night by the odd rowdy person, the floors are made of marble, it will echo, it happens. Remember, everyone is there on vacation, some people like to relax some people like to party. It's not like they are standing right in front of your room throwing a kegger, they are just walking by. Get over it. The hotel is very clean, it is true, all you will see are employees cleaning everything constantly. They are all very friendly, almost all of them will greet you as you walk by.

The pools are clean and lovely. Never ventured off to the party pool because I prefer to chill out and tan in quiet. And the bonus of the quiet pool is the gym is located right beside it, and you know what that gym has? A washroom. The gym was nice and clean, however the equipment isn't the greatest. The restaurants are good. The Japanese restaurant was good, too many course for me to get through though. The sushi sampler was probably the best sushi I've had, so fresh. The steakhouse is also good. Those are the only restaurants we made it to because booking them in advance is a challenge, especially when you don't feel like getting up at 7am. The buffets were good, lots of variety, breakfast buffet was my favourite. To be honest, we got kind of sick of eating at the restaurant, so we travelled into town. You NEED to eat at Happy Endings Cantina, yes it looks like a hole in the wall, but it is clean, and safe and a fun atmosphere. We ordered nachso with pico de gallo, two buritos, 4 Corona ($2 each) and with tip it all came to $30. We even used our visa to pay because we had read great reviews about this place and it's safety. Cabo Wabo is also a great place, expensive though, but the atmosphere is awesome. Stop by at the Baja Brewery if you get sick of Dos Equis ... the beer there is amazing, I am a big fan of the raspberry one, but grab a sampler and choose for yourself! Walk around the marina, it is beautiful, you might even see Poncho, the sealion who likes to jump up on the boats from time to time. Lovers beach is beautiful, you can take a water taxi there. You can swim at the beach too, but keep in mind that the water there too is still a little rough. Once you get past the break though you can basically just float around. I however, had a moment where I was trying to adjust my bathing suit top and got pulled under, it wasn't fun but I survived, so just be cautious. Don't let children swim here. Cabo was a fantastic time, don't rely heavily on all of the bad reviews. Or read them all, so once you get to the resort you will realize what an even more amazing place it is. :)

4 Thank Abby C
#41 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,649 reviews
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,252 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!