“30 Year Anniversary Couldn't have been better”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Montrose, Colorado
“30 Year Anniversary Couldn't have been better”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our fourth visit in 16 months to this resort..that in itself should indicate how we feel about the Riu Palace in Cabo. The proximity to Colorado (6 hrs) makes this our destination of choice. The Palace has never disappointed. Upon our second return, many of the staff remembered us by name and made us feel welcome and comfortable. Aricelli, Alex in the buffet, Valdez and Lorenzo always kept our drinks coming at the activity pool. We ate at all the speciality restaurants as before and didn't feel put out making reservations, but could have easier. Crystal, very good, Steak House great, Mexican just ok...but for Mexico a waste, Japanese a total waste...after all this is Mexico not Japan. The Italian restaurant next to the activity pool is a gem for lunch if the taco bar or ban isn't set up poolside. We arrived to be informed they had upgraded us to an ocean front room, and knowing the layout, that the room was above the nightclub I requested another room. The front desk attendant said the room was specially prepared for us and asked that we accept it , which we did. When we opened the door we were greeted with an array of folded towel animals, a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a Grenache chocolate cake and bottle of champagne. At 2am I went to the front desk to request a different room due to the noise from the nightclub below and the adjoining lobby bar revelers. I was told that in the morning they would move us. We packed everything after breakfast and left it in the room...by 1:00pm everything had been moved to another junior suite ocean view. We enjoyed spending time with the entertainment staff that we had met in previous stays,Sergio,Angelo,Lorena,Nora, Suzy Q, and Jenny and the new guy Jonas. A quality group of kids that make our stays memorable. This is a beautiful property enhanced by the employees. The rooms are maybe a bit tired the food at the buffet maybe redundant, but this is Mexico and adds to the experience. We will be back in October and are eagerly anticipating seeing old friends and another memorable experience.

Room Tip: Any room except 3rd floor adjacent to the lobby
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hospitalitypro47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,570)
  • Polish first
Roseville, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed June 21-28, 2014. Room 0035 first floor near the spa looking out over "quiet" pool. Walk right out to pool. Never heard any noise. Convenient to restaurants (1 floor up). Elevators in all wings if you need them. They have "do not disturb" hangers for the door so never bothered by staff as stated in other posts. Bring "AA" batteries. The door lock and safe run off them. Our door lock batteries were dead when we arrived and had to be replaced. Can't swim in the ocean but take a taxi to Medano beach for swimming and jet ski rentals. Service was excellent and buffet food was awesome. Well maintained facilities.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Buck1254
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is my 2nd Riu Palace resort (the other one was Costa Rica) and 10th all-inclusive (the others being Sandals resorts and Palace resorts). We very much enjoyed our stay! The resort was super clean, great variety of food (I did think the food was a little better in Costa Rica), unique perks such as one day by the pool they had drinks in pineapples, at dinner one night had cotton candy and carmel dipped apples and drinks were good. I thing that bugged me was you had to pay to use the pool tables?! It seemed so out of place. You have this beautiful resort, marble floors, everything is completely free since it is all-inclusive except the pool tables?! Bad impression. Especially since you can't swin in the ocean at this resort, they didn't have to invest in paddleboards, snorkling gear, sailboats, etc that most ocean front resports have for free for their all inclusive guests.
We went into town several times and had a great time. We felt very safe. Also, you could find Bud Light at almost anywhere in town. We did the ATV tour and it was awesome! We saw some amazing views!
All in all, great resort and we would return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NatTom
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at this place. The food is excellent at the buffet. Can't speak for the other restaurants on the resort as we only ate at the buffet one. Food was always great, staff was friendly and very polite. They truly were interested in you having fun. The room staff made towel animals for my kid each night which she always looked forward to. Pool area is huge and the entertainment staff is great. The All you can't drink alcohol can't hurt either! Would highly recommend this to families

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I am writing this review on the last night of our stay at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas. We have stayed here from the 22nd of June to the 29th of June and have found very few things wrong with this resort. Let me start off this review by saying the food here, is hands down excellent and when seeing reviews calling the food un-edible makes me laugh as the food here is better then many 5 star restaurants. The staff here is over accommodating and is willing to do anything for you. People in the buffet like Alex and Hugo made our stay 1000 times better. Head management was walking around and talking to guests during dinner and addressed all of our concerns. We even had the pleasure of meeting with the head chef who made us a special lobster dinner after hearing that we were disappointed that we were promised lobster in the buffet and never received it. On the downside however, we were displeased with the entertainment at the pool and after the shows ended. During the day there were few activities at the pool, and while the shows were excellent we found that after they ended at 9:30 there was nothing to do. Also, the rooms could use some refreshing and updated bedding but besides that, our stay at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas was pleasurable and makes us optimistic and eager for our upcoming stay at the Riu Palace Costa Rica

Room Tip: Go for a room closer to the activity pool, otherwise it will be a long walk to the pool and restaura...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EDidia
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The Riu Palace is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The layout of the hotel is fantastic, there are so many well placed bars that you don't feel like your in a crowded resort. You can always find a lounge chair by the pool, the beach massage is reasonable priced. The food is mixed, some has been great and other times not. If you end up with a room by the lobby, it's very convenient but very loud and after a few days that gets old. Unless your young & want the party 24/7 I suggest asking for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor on the San Jose Side of the hotel.
I had my destination wedding at the Riu, we were located at the San Jose Gazebo which is a great spot. At 6:00 at night we had a lot of privacy, it was quiet and there was shade. The downside is that the adjacent property owner has erected a large burlap looking tent that has "massage" spelled out in huge blue letters. It's a terrible eyesore, but out of the control of the hotel...just be aware it's there. My wedding was great, and my wedding planner was really amazing (I mean really really amazing). My flowers were stunning and just perfect for the event and my wedding cake was really good. We had the semi private dinner in the steakhouse (for some reason no one else was seated while we were there, so it ended up bring private) and then we rented the night club from 8pm-11pm. A request my wedding planner was able to accommodate at the last minute. She was just the best. This was a really fun way to celebrate since we had 25 guests.....the downside is, if you have guests staying at the Riu Santa Fe or other hotels, you might want to rethink having your wedding at the Palace. The "rule" is that all guests must purchase a day pass, and these passes expire at 11:00pm. My guests didn't arrive until 6:00, they spent $60 (it's even more if your not at the Santa Fe) and were literally escorted out by security when the pass expired. It was a lousy way to end my wedding (as a family we spend over $30k on this vacation). After complaining and explaining to management what had happened, we were given a very satisfactory resolution so I think this was 1 or 2 employees focused on policy not the whole situation. The spa is "okay". It's located in the basement of the gym, and the atmosphere is severely lacking but, my hair & make up we're nicely done, the woman doing it wasn't the most pleasant but she did use high quality MAC cosmetics which held up in the heat & humidity. The massage I booked after the wedding was nice.
The photographer was over $1,300 for 3 hours, which seems really expensive to me but she was very professional and kinda fun to work with. You basically have to use the hotels photographer.
Other things, yes the drinks are slightly watered down but ohmigod if your drinking all day by the pool it saves you! The hotel is amazingly clean, and the staff is mostly very very very polite and helpful. Their reservation policy for the nice restaurants isn't the most convenient but it's not a huge deal either.
I strangely suggest bringing tip money (lots of dollar bills). The employees work really hard to provide amazing service and this little guesture of thanks goes a long long way. You'd be amazed the how much a $100 in tips gets you.
I don't regret my wedding at the palace and I will come back & would stay here again. I do think if you have guests coming from other hotels you need to set very clear expectations both with the hotel & your guests.
I do believe that friendliness, cleanliness, and high customer service are a top priority to the Palace, and they seem to achieve all of these goals.

• Stayed June 2014
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here June 2 to 9. The weather of course was fabulous. If you like being on the beach this is not the resort for you. It is not a nice flat beach, there is a huge drop off down to the water so you can't lie on a beach bed by the water and the waves are huge...red flag all week. The beach you can swim at is a twenty or so minute walk down the beach. We booked the super saver room and on the sunwing and signature website when you click on the description of the super saver room it takes you to a description of a junior suite so we thought we could get a room with two beds. When we got there we found out that no the super saver room only comes with a king bed, all week the promised to bring in another bed to our room but it never happened. The food is okay but definitely not 5 star, we actually like the buffet the best. My daughter loved the chocolate fountain with fresh strawberries. The young woman who was the sunwing rep at the hotel was very rude. At the quiet pool Jesus made sure we never got dehydrated, he kept our glasses full and was a very nice young man. The rooms are nice but small. I have a CPAP machine and their electrical current is not steady enough to keep it going. I had to rent one. Probably won't go back RIU is not my favorite chain of hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!