“Thank You Once Again!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We have visited the Riu Palace in Cabo annually for the past 5 summers, this was the first with our children. We would like to give a special thank you to "Colon" at the main Breakfast and Dinner Buffet. He has provided excellent service year after year. Also want to give a special thank you to Lorena & Sergio of the entertainment staff for showing so much care to my 2 children and making their time at The RIU Palace special, from the pool to the nightly shows they gave my children laughter, entertainment and a fun time. My kids can't stop singing "RiuLand".

I definitely noticed an upgrade in the quality of the good, specifically the seafood, from nice sized delicious Shrimp a few times to even Lobster tails one night.

We were there for a rare hurricane type storm and the entire RIU staff was amazing, from the managers directing the general staff to the staff getting the job done and the hotel up and running quickly. I don't know how they did it, but by lunch time it was as if nothing had happened.

Once again, thank you for the great service time and time again, we will be back soon. Keep up the good work!

Big Al From Brooklyn.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our stay at the Riu Palace was second to none. This was our first trip and it was for a wedding but holiday as well. The resort is massive in area but you certainly did not feel it. The resort was immaculate and maintained to its reputation. The all inclusive package was value plus. The choice of restaurants and bars gave you the feeling that you were not restricted I. Your choice . The pool activities was fun and very entertaining. The shows of an evening were also enjoyable and allowed the family enjoy this together before some went out or went to the disco or whatever. I would like to thank the staff for their hospitality friendless and wiling to assist with any requests. The only area that might be questioned was that room service did take some time.

Thank you to the management and staff of Riu Palace

Eva

Room Tip: We had the junior ocean view room which had two double beds very comfortable with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Eva D
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is an amazing property! It is absolutely beautiful and water views everywhere you look. The food and drinks are amazing as was the entire staff we came in contact with. From the front desk to the waiters, cleaning staff, chefs, servers in the restaurants, everyone had a smile on their face and a greeting for you. Some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. The hotel is clean, the grounds are beautiful and the pools are awesome! Beach is fantastic even though it is recommended that you do not swim, you can still get your feet wet. We had heard that the beds are hard, but we never slept better. We found bed quite comfortable and the air conditioner worked wonderfully! It was really hot when we were there (July 19-23) and it sure was nice to be able to relax in a very cold room! Refrigerator and liquor dispenser were kept well stocked and our room attendant brought us fresh towels every evening! I would like to personally mention Angel in the Japanese restaurant, Abel at the pool bar as well as Ana at the pool bar for going above and beyond in making things extra special and always having a smile on their faces. Also, this resort is close to town and the marina so the gentleman at the front entrance to the hotel was awesome as well. When you need a taxi, he was right there to call one for you and they literally came in 2-3 minutes. Very impressive! There are only one or two minor things I would like to mention in my review that need improvement. The internet is a bit sketchy. It seems the lobby is the strongest signal even though they say you should get it in your room. This seems to be hit and miss depending on who your provider is. Honestly, this is not an issue for me but several people traveling with us had this issue. Also, the towel cards. This seems to be a somewhat strange thing to have to do since you are obviously a guest if you have a room key, but they insist on a towel card. Not a deal breaker for me, just kind of annoying. This was a fantastic trip from start to finish and we are already talking about when we will go back and that we will definitely stay at the Riu Palace.

Room Tip: we were on a second floor corner overlooking the pool and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank traveljunkie1964
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is an amazing property. Very clean resort, amazing food. Could use upgrades as the rooms are a little out of date. The beds are extremely hard and very uncomfortable. When we would return to our room after a hard day of touring and playing we like to view the television to sleep by. It was in a very difficult place to watch from our bed and it did not seem to have any English speaking channels. May not be a big deal for some, but my hubby is not on the greatest of health and would have to go in periodically to rest.
I would go back to this resort as the food was amazing and we had no problems with staff or clean linen.

Room Tip: We upgraded to an oceanview and we enjoyed drinking our coffee and watching the surf roll in every m...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 261Debra
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon on July 11-18. Some things we enjoyed: There is never a time throughout the day where you could not get a drink or something to eat (all inclusive package). There is a buffet available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. On top of that they offer a selection of specialty restaurants that are exceptional. Food and drink availability for an all inclusive resort was outstanding. The swimming pools are extravagant. The hotel offers a quiet way to relax (for those interested in that kind of vacation) as well as a party/night life scene.

Some other comments in response to ones I read before we left:
We were told you could not swim because it was dangerous. I am pretty sure that is a disclaimer because if you know how to swim, and swim in the ocean, it is not dangerous.

I have read other comments about cleanliness and little issues here and there. If you go there reminding yourself you are going to Mexico than nothing should surprise you. It does help to speak some Spanish. After all, you are in a foreign country. In response to theft, the hotel has a huge disclaimer to not leave ANYTHING out in your room that you don't want stolen. This is why they provide the safe. If you do what they say, you won't have any problems.

All in all, this place was truly magnificent and whether you go there to relax or go there to party you will have a great time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank navyross
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I were looking for an inexpensive vacation as it had been a while since we had taken one but didn't have a lot of money to spend. We knew we wanted to do a Mexico all-inclusive because the prices were the best when we went (June 23-30). We also decided to stay on the Pacific Ocean side as we noticed with anything on the Atlantic you almost lose a full day travelling with most of the all-inclusive packages (we were flying from Vancouver, BC).

After doing a bunch of research on different hotels and putting the word out to our friends and family it turned out that we actually knew a few people that had stayed at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas and had good reviews of it.

All that being said here is some point form PROS and CONS of our stay at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas:

PROS
--Very clean hotel. You honestly couldn't walk around anywhere in the hotel without seeing somebody cleaning.
--Free WiFi throughout the hotel. As somebody that travels a lot for work this is very impressive to see when hotels offer free WiFi. It allowed us to Skype with our son every day at home.
--Food was better than expected. Of course it's not going to be 5 star gourmet but considering the amount of people that are being served every day at all 5 restaurants I was impressed with the quality. (The Mexican restaurant was the best in our opinion. Steakhouse was the worst).
--Air conditioning in the rooms. I don't know how any hotel could not have this in Mexico but when we were researching, we found some that didn't.
--Great pools. Always at a great temperature. Good poolside drink service (especially if you tip, see below). There are three pools; 1st is more for families and offers activities, 2nd is more of a quiet(er) pool, and the 3rd is a small pool with a swim up bar (party zone).
--24hr snack room and bar. Not that we used it to its full advantage but it's definitely nice to have if you're up late (or very early)
--Beach/Ocean front. Although it's not a swimmable beach area it still has a beautiful view of The Arch and the coastline.
--Hard liquor self-pour in the rooms. It's not top of the line alcohol but who cares? It's self-pour in the rooms!
--Lots of options for excursions from tourism companies in the hotel. We used Sunwing (because that's who we booked our trip with) and we did 3 excursions for decent prices considering what they include.

CONS
--No swimmable beach. The undertow is too strong so you can't swim directly in front of the hotel.
--Hard sand on the beach. But you'll find this everywhere in Cabo. It's not too bad.
--No premium liquor. Not that I really cared but I did hear some people complain about it.

TIPS
--Dinner Reservations: Wake up early to make your dinner reservations at the 4 non-buffet restaurants. The reservation desk opens at 7am and the reservations get booked up quick.
--Tipping. It's not necessary but it gets you better service, especially when you're poolside. My advice is if you're planning on spending a long time at the pool and you don't want to go long periods without a drink, give the server at the pool a 50 peso tip (or more) right when you get there.
--Tipping: 20 pesos is a good tip. 40-50 pesos is a very good tip.
--Beach swimming: You can't swim directly in front of the hotel as the undertow is too strong but you can take a short 15 minute walk (west) down to Medano beach and you can swim there. Remember to bring your own towel though.
--Going in to downtown Cabo. A taxi will cost about $15 USD each way. Make sure you only take them from the concierge at the hotel and the concierge at the mall in downtown Cabo. It's not advised to take any random taxis off the street. You can also take the bus (which is what we did) and it only costs you $1 USD each way. The bus comes right at the end of the long driveway in to the hotel and buses to downtown Cabo come quite frequently during the day.
--Ask for a room away from the discotheque. You'll enjoy more peace and quiet at night if that's what you need.
--Buy your take-home alcohol from the duty free at the airport. It’s cheaper than what you can find in downtown Cabo and basically has the same selection unless you’re going to a good tequila bar or something that has rare brands.

All-in-all we definitely recommend this hotel and will probably be back if we decide to go to Cabo again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the discotheque. You'll enjoy more peace and quiet at night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Nick N
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in early July. Neither of us have ever stayed in an all inclusive resort before, and it did not disappoint! Some reviews stated that the food was not good, but for us, it was wonderful. I say do not just stick to the buffets, try all of the restaurants! Right when you arrive, go to the concierge and book reservations for all of the various dinners. The hotel was very clean, we always saw staff cleaning the rooms, hallways, pool decks. I never once was worried about the cleanliness or safety of the resort.

The staff was very friendly! Exceptional service from the "Epic Tours" travel concierge, Omar! He was wonderful. My card was declined because I did not notify my bank of travel, and he patiently waited while I called the bank to clear the issue. When our snorkel tour was cancelled due to the weather, Omar and his colleague helped us cancel the tour and book a new one and made sure we enjoyed every aspect of our stay there.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for family, couples, or even a girls trip. Since it is all inclusive, it makes the inconvenience of planning meals non-existent and leaves plenty of time to relax and enjoy the vacation!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room!! Every morning we woke up and sat out on the balcony over look...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple