“Great Place to Visit!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was my first experience with an All Inclusive resort and I have to say that, over all, it was a very pleasant experience. The hotel was very clean; there was cleaning staff everywhere and they were always busy (but never in your way). We faced East on the most easterly wing and our room was very quite although I understand that not all of the rooms are such nearer the main lobby. The resort (along with the sister resort Riu Santa Fe) are fenced and gated so time share vultures were not present.There are a few boutiques on the grounds but I think the prices were higher than you would pay in town. Also, being the last resort along the beach, beach hawkers were also pretty scarce. My only issue was that the food became boring. Although there were a few changes/themes from night to night, I still found the experience redundant. After a few days, we took to having dinner in town; I would suggest planning on having 3-4 meals in town.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank georgef817
Write a ReviewReviews (7,012)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you want great food at an all inclusive resort this is your resort!! I've stayed at many all inclusive resorts and by far this one had the best food. Love the infinity pool but wished it was a little bigger. The staff around the pool were very attentive and friendly. We ate at the Italian specialty restaurant and it was also very good. The down side to this resort is the lack of wifi. They didn't even offer a wifi package to purchase. So if you like to watch movies by the pool or download a new book it can't be done. They do however offer VERY spotty wifi in your room and in the lobby. We are already planning on going back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a upper floor room it makes all the difference.
2  Thank MO1958
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed 5 nights in late July, celebrating our 10-yr anniversary with another couple doing the same. Found the Riu Palace to be a great resort.

Expect at least 45min travel time from the airport. We chose to book with TransCabo ahead of the trip - that costs about half of what a cab ride would, but added about 15min to the ride.

We booked an "Ocean Front Jr. Suite", but the room they assigned us wasn't particularly close to the ocean (but it was facing it), however the it was very noisy because it was just above the disco. Upon learning of its location we asked to be moved to the north wing of the hotel for a more peaceful stay and to be nearer our friends' room. The helpful front desk staff said they could move us there, but only after staying 1 night in the original location. We happily agreed, however, when it came time to move the next day, the location of our new room was actually in the south wing of the hotel - normally not a big problem, except this is a very large hotel and the time to walk back and forth would be pretty inconvenient. I have to give major compliments to the front desk employee who helped us - Cynthia quickly admitted she made a mistake the previous day when she told us we'd be moved the north end of the hotel and went the extra mile to find an available room and correct the error. We really appreciated her willingness to make things right! Thank you!!

The food was quite good. We dined in town a couple of times for variety (Mi Casa is great), but the buffets at the hotel are huge with lots of variety and the food quality was better than expected for such a large resort. The room service menu isn't very big, and the wait time could be quite long, but having it available as an option was a bonus.

The staff are great. They are cheerful and helpful and are willing to go out of their way to keep guests happy. After a morning tropical storm we asked one of the grounds keepers on the way to breakfast if any coconuts had fallen in the storm. He asked if we'd be passing by that way after breakfast (we said yes) and he told us he'd find one for us when we came back. When we did, we were surprised that he was waiting for us with two coconuts and a machete - he'd already prepared them and handed them to us ready to drink! Super thoughtful.

Don't book activities water activities at the hotel! Especially those from Baja's Water Sports. They are disorganized and their equipment sucks. We were suckered into waverunners and parasailing with them. One of the two waverunners was horrible (no power at all) and the parasailing boat broke down (while another couple was in the air!!). Just take a cab to Medano beach and you'll find everything for sale there for a much better price. One great tour: the zipline tour with Cabo Adventures. They are extremely organized, high energy and lots of fun.

Room Tip: Suites are very nice rooms, but in the summer months the AC can't quite keep up. The smaller Jr...
4  Thank curtiselaugh
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at the Riu Palace from 7/26-8/2. The food and staff were awesome, especially Jose Luis at the Lobby Bar. The Riu Palace has premium liquors which was great. They also have a club if you don't want to travel downtown. The Steakhouse and Mexican restaurants were really good. There is a beautiful view of Lover's Beach. I ATV'd and did the CABO Escape which were both awesome. One tip for everyone is to NOT book your excursions at the hotel book them downtown they were dirt cheap if you know how to bargain, shout out to Rudolfo(rudy) who hooked me up and even had a couple drinks with me after he got off. Also, make sure to shop around downtown for the best prices. I will be definitely going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank h b
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just got back from here. Our trip was from 7/26-8/2. The hotel is beautiful. It is decorated well and looks very extravagant. Our room was very nice. We were initially disappointed that we got two full size beds. When we called the front desk they were able to bring in a topper mattress which made it impossible to tell it was 2 beds put together. We found the food to be great. There is a wide array of options. The fine dining was very nice. The pools were good. Very clean hotel. There are always people cleaning. Lots of bars and you get a fridge full of booze and soda as well as a liquor dispenser in room. It is a bit of a walk to downtown Cabo. From the hotel it looks like it would be a short walk but it is a tough walk in the sand and in the heat. Expect to pay $14 for a cab to downtown. The nightly entertainment was very funny and very entertaining. The service was top notch. Servers at the restaurants and poolside were extremely friendly. Housekeeping was very good.

Our complaints:

Fire alarm went off approximately 6 times in our 8 day stay. Although they were brief and we never had to evacuate it was still annoying

Bathtub was abnormally high up and rather small compared to previous trips to Mexico

There was about 6 weddings during our stay. It was fun to watch but they would shut down waiter service to the pool early (only in 1 of the 2 pools)

Everything seemed very slippery in sandals

We only used room service once but it was kind of "meh"

We would definitely go back for the same deal.

2  Thank Tony S
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 days. I'll provide a quick synopsis.

The cab ride took about 40 minutes. We booked a private shuttle through Transcabo and we were very satisfied with their service.

When we got to the resort our room wasn't ready so we had to wait about 2 hours before we could start unpacking. It was no problem though, we just sat at the bar and walked around the grounds.

The only disappointing thing was that we booked an ocean view with very little view of the ocean. At first it was a bummer but we quickly decided to make the best of it. It actually worked out BC we were able to see a couple of weddings and also a wild horse roaming around.

We found the food to be above average for an all-inclusive. My personal favorite was the Mexican restaurant. My only recommendation is to eat the outside buffet early BC after a while the flies start to get to it.

We also loved the pool activities that they offered during the day. I found the staff to be very engaging with the guests.

The only negative in my opinion would be some of the other guests I encountered. Some people thought that they were the only ones on vacation. My boyfriend and I like to go out and come back late so I can understand someone asking us to be quiet because of their young children. But i had a problem when the same kids are yelling at 8 am in the morning. I felt that most people were pleasant but it sucks when only a few ruin the vibe with their bad attitudes.

Overall we had a great experience and will definitely recommend this resort to our family and friends. One last piece of advice is to not attempt walking to the marina no matter how close it looks. It took about 4 hours to walk there and back and my boyfriend almost killed me for coming up with this bright idea.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Ericalxx
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and arrived to find the king bed with ocean view room was musty and contained two doubles. The front desk offered a "foam piece" to merge the two beds very shortly and to change our room the following day. Nearly 3 hours later, we had to remind the front desk about merging the beds as they forgot. Our new room was not musty but right above the activity pool and entertainment area with loud booming music. Two days later, my husband became ill and wasn't able to join me for dinner so I gave the steak house reservation to a couple we met at the pool. When my husband suggested I join the couple for dinner the host refused to seat me as I didn't have a reservation. I attempted to eat at the Japanese restaurant only to be told it was after 9 (by a few minutes) and they would not seat anyone else. There were multiple open tables and I would've eaten quite quickly. I am highly disappointed that this hotel and their flexibility and will not be recommending it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple