“Inexpensive getaway ”

Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los angeles
“Inexpensive getaway ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Over all great stay for the value. Remember you are in Mexico and things are slow. The resort try really hard. Room might need upgrade but the property had excellent views nice pools nice restaurants. We had a great stake in one of the specialty dinner places.

Comparing this to other stays in Ixtapa and Cancun I think I will return to the others but not sure if I will Cobe back here.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank DanDman26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,573)
  • Polish first
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My two daughters (19 and 21) and I recently stayed at Riu Palace for five nights. Truly disappointing. Checking in was no problem. I had sent an e-mail and requested a room near the pool but away from the lobby and I was upgraded from a sea view to an ocean front. At check-in you are given a towel card. I was only given one card. I thought the policy was one card per family. Went to the pool to get the towels and the attendant said we needed a card for each person and we could only have one towel per person. Seriously? I had to go back to the front desk and convince the desk clerk that I was only given one card. You pay a fine if you loose the card or don't turn in the number of towels you were given. Honestly they were not towels anyone would want to steal. Making dinner reservations is tricky. The restaurants have seating times - 6:30 p.m. or 9:15 p.m. or close to those times. You can only make reservations two days in advance. So you might spend a fair amount of time in line making reservations. You don't need reservations for the Japanese restaurant, however you can only make reservations for Krystals the same day. Krystals seats about 40 people. I don't know how many people can be seated at the other restaurants and maybe this is just me being cynical, but I suspect the restaurants are designed so they fill up quickly and guests have to eat at the buffet. We actually went into town two of the five nights and had dinner. I stayed at the Moon Palace in Cancun in March. The people (employees) there were beyond friendly. I mean everyone spoke to you. It was the polar opposite at Riu. There are people cleaning everywhere and everything, but the majority don't speak, smile or make eye contact. It was kind of sad. I know All Inclusives are known for watering down the liquor and using poor quality liquor, but Riu was the worst of the four All Inclusives I've stayed at. We took our thermal mugs, but didn't need them. The liquor and the mixers they used were really bad. A guest told me to ask for a "Skinny Silver Margarita." He said they will use the best tequila, put agave in the drink and something else. My daughter ordered the drink for me, just the way this guest had suggested. The bartender turned to another bartender and asked about the drink, and the second bartender replied in Spanish, "It's the same" (meaning as all the other margaritas). My daughter is fluent in Spanish. I can laugh about this now, but the Japanese restaurant, the steak house restaurant and Krystal all served the same wine - Vina Aldea. I couldn't get it past my nose to drink it. I tried the chardonnay, the cabernet and the merlot. I looked the wine up and you and I can buy 6 bottles for $13.00 total! Can you imagine what Riu pays for it? Finally, there is no beach. Well, there's a beach, but no one uses it. The "sand" is small gravel. Kitty litter is finer. So it's difficult to walk on. We found this out, when we were dropped off from a boat after seeing the Lands End rocks. We walked a fair amount because the captain said due to the high tides, he couldn't take the boat close to the Riu. If you have flip flops on, the "sand" is kicked up on your calves and it isn't pleasant. My daughters went in the ocean (Sea of Cortez) the first day. My 19 year old is a strong swimmer and was about 5 - 6 feet out in the water when she was pulled under by the undertow - twice. She was still shaking an hour later. Another guest told us that she is a surfer and she wouldn't go in this part of the ocean. I gave this review three stars because the property is clean (well it would be - read above) and the view is very pretty, but I'd rather have a good margarita.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank dillonh
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

After a disappointing stay at a Sandals in the Bahamas last year, we were pleasantly surprised by the level of service and overall stay itself for a much less expensive all inclusive.
The buffet food was good, and the Mexican and Japanese restaurants were good as well. We didn't have any issues making reservations.
On the days we stayed at the hotel to lounge by the pool, there were no issues getting loungers. There were the usual folks who staked out their loungers with their towels bright and early, but there were never enough that it caused a problem. The poolside wait staff was fantastic, our drinks were never empty.
Getting a hotel into town for dinner, a night our or shopping was easy, just have to ask the gentleman at the taxi stand and he radios one over, no wait at all.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would definitely return to the Riu Palace in future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sofka_21
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

As a Mexican destination this resort had everything that we like about Mexico and little of what we try to avoid. The weather on the west coast is hot and sunny during the day but cools off at night with none of the humidity that makes sleeping uncomfortable and keeps your towels and clothes from drying.
The menus offered at the buffets were so good and varied that we only ate there and avoided the specialty restaurants. People we talked to said these restaurants we great, but making reservations was inconvenient, since you had to book your reservation at the front desk on the day you wanted to go there. Which meant getting up early.
Anyway, all three meals at the buffet were so good it wasn't worth the trouble of booking anything else.
Rooms were clean and well appointed with stocked bar and fridge, good coffee, 24 hour room service, in room digital safe and fast wifi.
Pools are huge and clean, not heated but the temperature was at the high 70's when we were there in April. Waiters provided drink service around the pool and on the beach. The beach venders were kept away from you by roping off a huge area of the beach for riu guests. When we went down to talk to the venders we found all of them to be polite and not pushy at all. The beach area in front of the hotel had an undertow so we had to walk down a few hundred feet to a great swimming beach area that was kid friendly.
We took a short taxi ride to town ($10) and visited a few of the top ten restaurants and bars listed on trip advisor and they we all excellent. The town and marina area seemed very safe, no one asking for money. There is a lot of booths in the marina, that distribute maps of the area that try to get your attention and help to plan your day, but they also try to sell excursions and time shares so be warned. We walked back to the resort from the marina along the beach and stopped at a few of the beach bars along the way. These bars were lots of fun with great food.
Lands end was a great side trip which could be booked at the hotel or for less just by walking down to the beach and asking a vender to arrange to take you there.
This resort catered to mostly the over forty age group, while the riu Sante fe next door had a more younger couple and family mix.
Overall a great safe vacation site where you can be busy all the time or do nothing but relax.
This resort goes on sale a lot, because of its size so wait for that, avoid going in March unless you are a spring breaker and pay the little extra to get an ocean view room, as the other views aren't that good. Hope this helps you with your decision, we will definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Scott L
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Do not expect luxurious room accommodations, premier service, or fabulous dining. It is, however, a bargain for the price point, and the location cannot be replicated. One towel per person, and do not dare lose a towel or towel card. Really. They also need to drop the cheesy wristband thing.

Room Tip: Ocean front only.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam M
Campbell, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We will stay here again. The staff is friendly and ready to help. In the restaurants Jonathan, Maiquen and Luis were ever present to help and attend to us. We were greeted every morning at breakfast with a mimosa. The pools are clean and very large, the swim up bar service was excellent and Javier and Roberto were always at the ready to provide us with another cold beer or another delicious drink. The restaurants were very good and the buffets were large enough there was always something new to try. The views the resort provided are breathtaking. The house keeping staff did a nice job keeping our room tidy and well stocked. Make sure to order the Mexican Coffee, and don't miss the fresh churros, delicious.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron G
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Was very disappointed with our stay. Moldy smelling room, toilets didn't flush and would back up, service at restaurants slow, and to top it all off, I found the last morning I woke up to be sleeping on a blood stain.

I explained all this in person at the front desk when checking out and they looked at me blankly, no offer to correct. When you say thank you or gracias for anything, never get a thank you or de nada. I have emailed them twice and have not receive a response. Stay somewhere else closer to the center of town, save on cab fare and get better service, maybe Pueblo Bonita?

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,556 reviews
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,202 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!