“Just OK... don't get your hopes up”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 29 June 2006

I scoured this website for three months looking at the reviews of the Riu before heading down. I think your expectations of what you've experienced in the past before heading down are the deciding factor for how you feel about this place after you leave. We stayed at the Riu from June 20-27. We went with another couple, all of us are between 32-36 years of age. This was my second trip to Cabo and I've been on 5 cruises before the Riu, 2 Princess, 2 Carnival, 1 Disney, so just your middle of the road cruise experiences. I'm a teacher, and my husband is in construction, so we are no "big league la-tee-da" travelers, we just hope to have a good time. The Riu was just average, but overall, I was a little disappointed. I'll break my review down by topic.

ROOMS--Yes, check in was a breeze. We booked with Apple Vacations, had a blue band (you'll get these arm bands, the color is based on how you book--company, internet, etc). Went to our rooms, 1013 and 1014 and they were on the bottom floor, with a view of the courtyard and if you strained you could see the ocean over the bushes. This was NOT going to work for me. So, down to the front desk I went, $20 bill in hand as I spoke to the front desk and asked for a better room. No sly "Vegas Trick", just talked with the money visible. Well, he got out his little list, showed me the rooms available, where they were on the map, and we switched to a BEAUTIFUL view room, 4132, top floor, see the pool, arches, town, Medano Beach.... and he got his $20. Our friends were able to move the next night to a room 3 down from us. TIP: Tip the front desk, don't be afraid to ask for a better room.

POOL--This was the highlight of my trip. The chairs by the pool bar on the left side of the hotel (as you look at the water) are the ones to go first. I had to go to the pool between 7:30-8:00 to get a seat. Exchange your towels at the end of the day for clean ones, cause the pool gal doesn't have fresh towels until 8:00. If you go down later, no big deal. I agree with a previous review, the bar pool was like a sewer, nasty film on the sides and God knows what floating in the corners. TIP: Reserve early, exchange towels end of day.

FOOD--Absolutely no comparison to cruise food, if you ask me. Cruise food is 100 times better, both for sit downs and buffets. Breakfast buffet was the only food at the Riu that was decent. The lunch buffet--everything was WARM. The "cold" food sits on this cold metal slab, that in an open air eating area in 97 degree heat doesn't do much to keep it chilled. YUCK! Reservations: if you are there for a week, make getting reservations at the Japanese and Gourmet a priorty (Mikasi and Sir Lawrence), as they only seat about 50 people, it's much easier to get in to the other two cause they are bigger. My husband was SO SICK one day he could not get out of bed, and the other couple had Montezuma's Revenge the entire stay. TIP: Eat fruit

BOOZE--Hope you like Corona! We were all soooo sick of it by the end of the trip. You can get Negra Modelo on tap at the pool bar. Top shelf liquor? Well, not really. They have some, no Crown Royal, the selection stinks. Vodka selection terrible as well. Also, lots of chinzy plastic cups--like from a cafeteria. They are about 8 oz, so they go quick. We were very disappointed in the booze selection, as we were really hoping to get more bang for our buck at the all inclusive. Wine? Don't even think about it. I have maybe one glass of wine ffor every 100 beers I drink, and I didn't even care for it. Imagine how it would taste to a "seasoned" wine drinker. TIP: Got a Costco card? It may be worth a trip up the street.

SERVICE--The pool guys acted like you were making them go out of their way to get a drink. Bar doesn't open until 10. I was ready for a bloody mary WAY before then, then when I get one, its tomato juice with a dash of worsteshire, in a plastic cup, with about 4 cubes of ice. We tried tipping to get better service, or at least service with a smile, but gave up after a few days. Following other's advice, we brought $100 in ones, but didn't need to use them all. TIP: Save your money, didn't seem to matter to us whether we tipped or not on what kind of service we got.

FACILTY--I saw more people mopping the grounds and trimming the weeds than I ever saw cleaning that pool. The same 1 guy cleaning the same ole' spot. The pool was gross, but the grounds were immaculate. Gorgeous dining rooms, halls, lobby, views, rooms, etc. Very impressed with how nice everything looked.

BEACH--First day, very high loud crashing waves, but by day 4 people were swimming in the ocean no problem. Use your best judgement, if it looks unsafe, it is. Why chance it?

ALL IN ALL--Won't go back to the Riu. It was pretty, but that wasn't enough for me. I'd rather take another cruise, see more of Mexico and KNOW I'm going to get excellent service, food and drinks (even if I have to pay for them). My room would be cleaned EVERY day, my bed turned town, my stomach intact.... this would be a good place to take kids, as they seemed to enjoy the buffet variety and pool, but it was VERY warm for me this time of year and couldn't imagine having a little one there in this heat. TIP: If you are set on Cabo, get a middle of the road hotel, close to town, and try out the local restaurants and fun little bars, as there are lots of good ones. Cabo Wabo had the best food we had the entire time we were there, but get ready to pay big bucks for their booze. Try the little "Get Ripped" bar right in front of it for cheaper beer.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 29 June 2006

We went to the Riu at the end of June for our honeymoon....and although it wasen't completely terrible, it was not great either.

Our trip started off on the wrong foot from the start. We asked for an oceanview room with a king bed. When we got there they had ut us in the basement facing an area that with dirt, and that had two single beds. We went back to the lobby to complain and get what we asked for and they sent us to another room. This room once again had two single beds only they were pushed together, and rather then an oceanview we were now looking into the employee parking lot. We went down for a third time and they managed to give us a room with a kind bed which was semi oceanview (it was a room located on the side facing the pool....Not to bed).
We travelled with Sunquest and what we found out later in the trip is that Sunquest always gets the crappy rooms compared to the other travel companies, and that unless you complain they will stick you in a crummy part of the hotel.

The hotel itself was gorgeous. With the exception of a few cracks in the wall, the hotel and pools were beautiful.

Another thing we did not like about Cabo is that the weather was warm however there was a heavy breeze which caused us to be chilly at times. To top things off, the pool water was ICE cold. No heater, no warmth. It was only later on in the week when the weather got hotter that we were able to stay in the pool for longer then 10 minutes.

Ocean - I was told before hand that you could not swim in the ocean because the waves were really rough...BOY THEY WEREN'T KIDDING!!! We aren't much of ocean people so this didn't bother us to much, but if you really enjoy going in the ocean then Cabo may not be the place for you. They had red tape up the whole week except for one day were the waves were actually normal.

Staff - With the exception of one waiter that we had for dinner every night, the staff at Riu were rude and slow. We went to the reception area and asked the doorman where we could find the bus to take to the Marina and Shopping Mall. The doorman told us that the bus does not reach there, and that we had to take a taxi which we did. We found out later that night from another couple that the bus does indeed reach the Marina and is only 60 pesos as opposed to $10 US for a taxi. Apparently the doorman get some sort of compensation from the cab drivers for referring customers to them...So take note that you can in fact take public transit to almost anywhere within the area.

Food - All in all I have to say that the food was VERY good. With the exception of the SUSHI (STAY AWAY FROM THE SUSHI) everything was good. I ate the sushi one night and ended up staying in my room sick for a day in a half. We found out that there is no real fish in the sushi (served at the buffet) but that it contains cheese inside. The sushi stays out on a table and is not kept cool, so taht could have been what made me sick.

Maids - We tipped the maids 3 US everyday. They did not do anything extra and in fact on two seperate occasions they actually did not put any fresh towels in our bathroom.

Mini Bar - This was a joke in our room. The guy only came to refill the fridge once in the seven days that we were there....What a joke for what you pay to stay at this resort.

Event Staff / Evening Shows - This was HILARIOUS! Every night they did the same thing...Nothing new. It seemed that they had picked some of the locals off the street to go up on stage and perform. I was looking for elaborate costumes and shows, when in fact what we got were the same people everyday wearing the same outfits. The following day the same outfits would be worn only the girls would mix and match them with each other to make it look like they were wearing something different. What a disapointment!!!

In conclusion, we were very disappointed in ths trip especially considering it was our honeymoon and for how much money we payed. Although the hotel was beautiful we will definetly not be going back there.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2006

My husband and I went to the RIU in Cabo to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We stayed at an all-inclusive called the Turtle Beach Resort in Barbados and it was the most horrendous experience I have ever had traveling. We were borderline terrified to try another all-inclusive- boy are we glad we did!!! We stayed at the resort from 6/10 until 6/17 and booked our stay thru Apple Vacations. I cannot say enough good things about the resort and the town of Cabo San Lucas.

Room:
We stayed in a Junior Ocean View Suite. It had a nice separate sunken living room area and beautiful view of the sea of cortez. The room was immaculately kept. The mini bar was stocked regularly with extra beer and extra water (at our request). The bed wasn't the softest thing in the world but it was fine for a week. The room was all granite, marble and gorgeous wood. It was really nice.

Food:
On the whole, the food is average but if you are expecting fine cuisine, do not stay at an all inclusive. Logistically, it is just not possible to make fantastic food, in a billion different varieties for that many people. We only ate at the buffets and never ate at one of the specialty restaurants. The lines to get reservations were long and we liked the less-scheduled feel that the regular buffets granted. There is a HUGE selection of food. HUGE. At the main breakfast: eggs prepared 5 different ways, bacon, sauage etc...french toast, pancakes, tons of breads/pastries, cold cuts, cheese, salads, cereal, fresh fruit bar, champagne for mimosas, bloody mary’s….the ONLY downside for me was the beverage selection. Decaf coffee was only available in Nescafe crystals and the orange juice was more like an orange drink than juice. But those are personal preferences. They do a continental breakfast in the main buffet area near the pools beginning at 10:30 and that is by no means continental as we think of it. They had eggs and sausage and French toast etc. HUGE selection. Lunch and dinner both had huge selections of food as well. My favorite part about lunch was the enormous salad bar. The variety of veggies changed daily and there was always an option of grilled chicken or fish if you wanted to add that to your salad. The burgers also weren’t too bad and the pepperoni pizza was ok. Oh and my favorite lunch/ snack item…the guacamole and pico de gallo. Awesome!
Dinner offered tons of food, in all different varieties, with the addition of a chocolate fountain, dessert buffet (they also have this at lunch) and coolers of ice cream. If you have a sweet tooth – you are in business at the RIU.

Service:
Excellent! Super friendly and quick. We never went thirsty. Arturro, one of the bartenders (at the bar that faces the water on one side and the stage for nightly entertainment on the other) is a great bartender and a history buff. He knew more about American history than a lot of Americans I know. He was great! Our only negative about the drinking selection is that they only offer corona as far as beer goes. No other option. If you prefer drinks made with hard alcohol however, they have top shelf options.

Actvities:
We did not participate in much during the day other than relaxing by the pool, but there are a lot of activities going on throughout the day. You will receive a schedule when you arrive that will show you what is planned for the week. They offer dance lessons, language lessons, ping pong, pool games and so much more.

People at the resort:
This was our only deterent while staying at the RIU. We thought we were safe from the 18-yr old 'Senior Week' scene because the hotel claims they do not allow groups of this nature to book at their resort. We saw kids throwing up poolside at 3 in the afternoon. Next time we go, we will go later in the summer to avoid those graduating seniors. There were a lot of couples, couples traveling in groups and some kids. Most parents kept the kids at the “quiet” pool because of the drinking going on at the “active” pool….but this made the quiet pool noisy.

Grounds:
Beautifully kept. Beautiful property. Two huge pools. Beautiful and very big beach. Great view of the Sea of Cortes meeting the Pacific from the resort.

Cabo San Lucas:
We took a glass bottom boat tour for $12 each to see the famed arches, the pacific, a sea lion colony and a pelican colony. The tour was 45 minutes and well worth it. In town we dined at Mi Casa and The Iguana – both of which were fabulous. In the evening we went to Cabo Wabo and the Gigglin Marlin. I liked the Gigglin Marlin best because they did crazy contests and you could either participate or only watch – great to have the option.
We also tried to get into the office one night but they were only taking those with reservations. Next time we go, we will definitely make a reservation. The place looked great!

Bottom line - it is an all inclusive - the food will not be great but it will be okay. The place is gorgeous, the service is fantatstic, you have tons of options - two pools and plenty of activities at the resort- and the town of Cabo San Lucas is wonderful and fun. We cannot wait to go back!

26  Thank Mexicoissofun
Reviewed 26 June 2006

I just returned from Cabo San Lucas. Ten of us (30 somethings) stayed at the RIU from May 29 thru June 2. When we arrived I tipped $20 to the check in man to get us 5 rooms all together and away from the roosters, also I asked for a room with a nice view. He gave us the royal treatment and took us to the bar to discuss all the hotel had to offer. Don't let the bad reviews get you. I had read many of them and all things considered I think this is the nicest place to stay. We saw many other places while we were there and the location of this hotel is definitely a plus. We wanted to stay close to CABO and this was the nicest, closest hotel we saw. Take immodium with you. Several with us needed it from Day 2 on. I don't think it is the water or ice drinks, I think it was just a couple of weak stomachs. Some of us didn't feel bad at all.

THE AIRPORT:

After you get your luggage do not let the timeshare people fool you. Keep walking until you are OUTSIDE. I had to be very rude to them inside and was very glad a friend of mine had warned me about them. We booked through funjet vacations and they had a van waiting on us outside the airport. The transfer fee was included in our vacation package to the hotel and back to the airport. We were told this saved us about $80.00 one way.

THE ROOM:

Rooms were great and had plenty of room. Our view was excellent and their were no wakeup calls from the roosters. We were above the more active side of the hotel so it was noisy at times, but we made plenty of noise ourselves. Our mini bar was stocked with corona 2-3 times per day. We left a tip of $3.00 in the frig. each day.

THE POOL:

We went to Cabo with lots of partying in mind. We only stayed on the activity side of the hotel. It was very noisy at times, but no one was ever rude or totally obnoxious. During the day we could choose from the many activities or just lay by the pool or mingle and meet new people at the swimup bar. Activities during the day at the pool included water aerobics, target shooting, Spanish lessons, volleyball, Texas hold 'em, and several more.
The pool did close at about 7-8 p.m. but we didn't mind. By then we had all the sun we needed for the day. Workers were constantly working keeping the pool clean. It was extremely clean for the amount of people in it.

THE OCEAN:

The ocean was very dangerous. Several with us were pulled in from the undertow. I never got in the ocean once. The beach was hot and a little rough for me. The view from the hotel was all I needed. It was a fabulous view. It was litterally connected to the RIU pools. If you are a beach, salt water person, the RIU offered beach volleyball and lots of lounge chairs for those wanting to be right on the beach.

THE NIGHT LIFE:

We watched 2 shows. The shows were okay. I am not really into the muscials and dancing, but the performers worked very hard. The shows started around 9:00 pm and ended about 11:00 pm. While watching the shows we visited with one another and had plenty of drinks. Servers were very attentive and always brought us what we ordered.
We visited the disco 2 nights and had a great time. It is very crowded in there, but we had plenty of fun and danced to great music. The disco opened at 11:00 pm and closed at 2:00 am.

CABO NIGHT LIFE:

We visited Cabo 2 nights. We ate at the Shrimp Factory. It was excellent and was priced very reasonable. We also ate at Hard Rock Cafe (prices very reasonable). If you are in the mood for food that taste more American then go to the Hard Rock to eat. Cabo Wabo was a great time and so was El Squid Roe. Both are definitely PARTY places. If you aren't in the mood for wild and noisy then visit these places before 10:00 pm. We ate at the Trailer Park ( the older one) and were not impressed. Others that we know said it was the best, but we did not agree. Also it was pretty expensive. There were 10 of us and we asked for a big van taxi every time. We all crammed in and they charged us $2.00 per person. We thought that was pretty reasonable.

THE SPA:

All of us got massages. 80 minutes was about $120.00. 50 minutes was about $80.00. The massage was great. It was not a very large place and booking was a pain, but it was well worth it.

EXCURSIONS:

We took a Jungle Booze Cruise booked through the hotel. It was $35.00 per person. It was definitely a Booze Cruise. The boat was not much to look at, but we all decided it was the most fun of all we did. It took you on a 2 hour cruise to lovers arch. Beer and jungle juice were included.

Also, we parasailed. It was $40.00 per person. We booked it on the beach on RIU property.

2 went on an all day fishing trip. It was also booked in the hotel lobby. They caught a durango and 120 pound blue marlin. It was about $125 per person.

THE FOOD:

As in other reviews breakfast is definitely the best meal at the RIU. Go to the San Jose Mexican Restuarant for lunch. Many don' t know it is there. It is in the back corner toward the beach of the active side of the hotel (near the pool). It was a sit down lunch, no reservations needed, and had great food. Good pasta, fish, salad, and veggies. We knew we were going to go out for supper so we did not even book at a speciality restuarant. We talked to some who did and they all said the Japanese was the best. Reservations did not seem to be a big problem there anymore, at least not to the people we talked to. There was definitely plenty of food and we all found something that we liked.

THE RESORT:

It was absolutely breath taking from the moment we arrived. I was a little concerned because the drive from the airport was absolutely ugly. Desert, dry land that hadn't seen rain in many, many months. The resort is a place that we would never have to leave. The view to the ocean, the pools, the grounds, the entry, the staff, everything was more than we expected. We had a great time and if we go to Cabo again, we would definitely stay at the RIU.

• Stayed: May 2006
32  Thank buggers
Denver, CO
Reviewed 26 June 2006

Just returned from the Riu last week- stayed there from the 13th to the 20th. After having gone to Mexico several times (Riviera Maya, Puero Vallarta), I must say that Cabo and/or the Riu is pretty nasty in comparison.
The resort itself is OK. The grounds are well maintained and are constantly manicured. Our room was decent. My husband and I ended up staying in a standard junior suite (we were supposed to be upgraded to the hot tub suite upon check-in but the desk clerk who checked us in refused to upgrade us...actually went back to the front desk the next morning and was told by another desk person that we should have received the upgrade however it really didn't matter since the hot tub suite was unavailable due to the tub being broken and awaiting parts). The maids try their best. The floor however is absolutely foul. We had to wipe our feet off on towels otherwise the bottoms would be pitch black. In every attempt to contact the front desk for towels or assistance of any kind, we were assured that "Si" whatever we needed would be brought immediately to our room. Always ended up calling three or four times to finally receive what we requested.
The food was tolerable. Sir Lawrence was definitely the best in terms of quality. Please know that if you want to visit any of the specialty restaurants, make reservations early. Sir Lawrence was almost completely booked for the entire week we were there. Also, you are only allowed to make two reservations at a time. The Medano Restaurant (standard buffet) had a large selection for both breakfast and dinner and the food was not too bad. The other lunch buffet they offered was okay too, but the dessert bar was nasty. Lots of bees!
In regard to the pool/beach area, it was great. The beach was more secluded although there were tons of vendors to keep you company and be more than happy to sell you something "at a good price". We preferred the pool. The drink waiters were very friendly and quick. The water in the pool was freezing! For me, after about 20 minutes of acclamating to the water, the best part was to wade over to the ledge of the pool and look out at the ocean.
On previous trips to Mexico, my husband and I would always venture out and do lots of excursions. After talking to many people, we regretfully were informed that the snorkeling was not that great, the golf was expensive and not that great, the fishing was super expensive, and the ATV riding was a dirty sand blast. We finally decided on the Dinner Cruise and had a good time. Downtown Cabo is definitely an experience. Frankly, I thought it was a real $@#*hole. Very dirty. Very crowded. Lots of suspicious looking people who approach you. Felt very similar to Tijuana. Visited the legendary Cabo Wabo and was not that impressed. We completely felt like tourists going there but it seemed like we ended up there because of the familiarity of it and just wanted to get out of the atmosphere of what was going on outside.
All in all, I would give our trip an average score. Due to the fact that we didn't do many excursions, we ended up being bored a lot. I would definitely say that I will not be returning to Cabo anytime in the near future.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Riu from June 21st- June 25th. I was hesitant while reading many of the reviews on this site, but my hubby assured me that you can't always listen to what other crazy people might write :). Needless to say, I should have listened a little more closely.

I am not going to nit pick on every detail of the hotel. No hotel is perfect. If you are expecting a five star resort or you are used to staying at posh hotels where you are treated like a king and queen, this is not the place for you. That being said, generally speaking the Riu is a nice hotel. The grounds are beautiful, especially the pools, and we enjoyed swimming and hanging out at the resort. The Riu claims to be 4 stars, and I think that many of the travel websites say it is 4 stars. I would consider this 3.5 stars and that is being generous.

Our MAJOR issue with the hotel was the food. I will first say that we probably have higher expectations when it comes to food- we like good food and we enjoy good dining experiences- and we also have more food limitations that the average person. We do not eat meat or shellfish. Usually when we go away on vacation this is not an issue for us, especially when we visit places on the water. I was expecting an abundance of fresh fish, but was very dissapointed especially for a resort that is on the ocean!

The hotel claims to have 5 restaurants, which is VERY misleading. One of them is the buffet. Each night they have a theme. This means that on Mexican night, for example, they take the food that has been on the buffet throughout the week and bring it up to the center of the buffet to highlight it. There is barely any new food on the buffet each night, just variations on what has been served on previous nights. Also, if you have a sensitive stomach watch out. Everything is fried and greasy and salty. It is easy to blame the food on the fact that the resort has so many people to feed, but cruise ships have even more and I have been on two cruises and enjoyed the food both times.

The second of the 5 restaurants is the Italian/ Mexican. The Italian is only open at lunch and was better than going to the buffet at lunch. They had pasta with different sauces and pizza, which was fine with me. We went to dinner at the Mexican one night. They had one fish and one vegetarian entree on the menu (btw- the menus at these "restaurants" have only 4 or 5 entrees to select from) so my hubby and I got those two. They were good, relatively speaking. You ordered your entrees and then you got up to get soup, salad and dessert (the same stuff they have at the main buffet).

The third restaurant is the Japanese, which was probably the best meal we had. There was sashimi and sushi rolls for the appetizer and then one fish we could eat on the menu- salmon- which was pretty good. The fourth restaurant was the steakhouse. We did not go there because there was only one item on the menu we could eat- the "fish skewers" and when I asked what kind of fish, no one could tell me.

The fifth restaurant was the Gourmet Restaurant. This will bring me to an additional complaint about the whole food experience. It is near impossible to get reservations to this restaurant, and to some of the others. Our first day there was a Thursday and we were leaving on Sunday. I went Thursday morning at 11 am to make reservations for dinner. I was told that for the gourmet restaurant the next reservations were not open until Sunday night. The whole making reservations thing is ludicrous. This is a resort that has about 450 rooms, yet all of the restaurants have a very small amount of tables. We counted 12 tables in the Gourmet Restaurant. Come on!

Anyway, by Saturday night I was sick already from either the water or the bad food and I could not eat again at the buffet. We went to the gourmet and asked them if there was any way we could be seated later that night. At first the host said "well, if you want to sit down right now and order right away you can come- the kitchen closes in 10 minutes". Not wanting to ruin the whole experience, I said that we could come later if he wanted. He counted the number of people who were coming later and told us to come back at 8:50 and shook my hand. Fine. We came back at 8:45 and were told to wait and then we saw that the restaurant was full. They told us we couldn't be seated. I explained to a different gentleman (the original one we spoke to was of course nowhere to be found) what we were told and eventually they brought in another table from the Japanese restaurant and were seated. We tipped the guy a generous tip. Needless to say it was NOT worth it. The food was greasy and salty and did little to help my stomach.

I can understand getting sick of the food after 7 days, but we were only there for 4. We do have more limitations so please take our suggestions with a grain of salt. I have friends who have stayed at all inclusives who have the same restrictions as us and they have really enjoyed it, so I don't know if it was just this resort or if it would be a problem elsewhere. After this, we will not be staying at all inclusive again.

So if you don't mind the food and just want to have a good time, the Riu Palace is for you. For us, dining out is a highlight of vacation so we were very dissapointed.

10  Thank Gizmojen
Reviewed 25 June 2006

We stayed at the Riu Palace from June 17-24 and read all of the reviews on trip advisor prior to booking and chose the Riu over the Intercontinental and Dreams based on the reviews that we read. We were pleased with our choice. We had a 4th floor end Junior Suite, although the hotel is tiled and this can contribute to noise in the hallways, our room was very private and quiet. We did smell the "sewage" smell that others refer to, in the hallway a few times, however, it went away and was not an issue for us. The beds are quite hard, however, we too, requested the topper and then it was fine. The entire hotel, pool area and rooms were extremely clean and service everywhere we went was stellar. We were sure to tip wherever we went and received great service everywhere. We had great weather, no complaints about the pool, service or beach. As stated on the Riu website and also in the trip advisor reviews, do not swim in the ocean as the undertow is extremely bad.....If you plan to use your laptop, go to the front desk and sign up for the Riu Rewards card, this will entitle you to double time when purchasing time for the internet. Unfortunately, they do not offer any sort of internet connection in the room, we had to bring our laptop downstairs to access the internet, furthermore, we found it to be costly and suggest purchasing a few blocks of time (we purchased (2) 24 hour blocks of time and then because we had the Riu card, we received double time which equals (2) free 24 hour blocks of time). While we gave the Riu an excellent, score on trip advisor we would rate it an 81/2 or 9 on a scale of 1-10. The food was not excellent and if it was, we would have rated the hotel a 10. The food is just ok....as stated in previous reviews, the breakfast buffet on the second level 7-10:30am and the Italian buffet lunch were the best. The Sir Lawrence Restaurant was also very nice, however, very small and challenging to get reservations. The other restaurants were not appealing to us only because we prefer quality over quantity. I highly recommend this property, however, just do not expect Ritz Carlton type food. The drinks were great and the service was as well. We went into Cabo San Lucas twice, a ten dollar cab ride from the hotel or a 30 minute walk. It was fun to see the town and sites, however if you are looking for higher end shopping, we suggest going to San Jose del Cabo. The cab ride is $40 each way from the Riu, we were going to take a cab ther until we heard about the "Hop On, Hop Off" bus tour which stops in San Jose del Cabo. We spent $60 I to go on the "Hop On, Hop Off" bus tour, I believe you can purchase it thru the SunQuest travel person in the hotel lobby for $30 per person. It was great and stopped in San Jose Del Cabo (as well as some attractions at some of the other hotels, thus confirming that we made the right choice with the Riu when we saw the other hotels) The tour guide was very knowledgeable, informative and interesting and it gave us an opportunity to see some sites and learn about the history of Cabo. The tour was not more than 4 hours long and you can get on and off the bus at each location and can leave the tour whenever you'd like. Lastly, remember, you are in Mexico and it is a foreign country and Spanish is their language.....they had many tv channels and about 5 were in English, I thought that the staff did a good job of speaking English, and they were more than happy to bend over backwards to help you if you were polite, kind, respectful and nice to them. They all take their jobs very seriously and want to be helpful. I also suggest tipping ....if you are nice and you tip you will have fabulous service and a wonderful time! Saying please and thank you will get you far!!!

10  Thank coco123