We usually travel to the Caribbean, and stay at Sandals properties. However, coming from California, the travel portion eats your time and sanity. So we opted for the Riu Palace in Cabo. It was a great stay, with some likes & dislikes. But defiintely would return again.
Accomodations: Rooms are nice, beds hard like everyone says. If you're looking for something just steps away from the beach, this isn't it. The property is large & rooms are set way back.
Pool Areas: Well designed, really nice. Only complaint: both swim-up bar pools needed more water chemical maintenance - the pool water was gross, did not want to go in.
Bars: The Ventana bar is the best! View is unbeatable, Luis the bartender is tops! All the bars were well situated and designed nicely. Luis the bartender manager is also tops - loved is 007 impersonation!
Beach: As everyone has said, definitely too rough for swimming. But again - the view is unbeatable.
Food: I'll say fair to good. Our only complaint: The restaurant system. Aside from the lousy reservation system (well commented on by others), it was the fact that they had prescribed seatings. So there wasn't any atmosphere with dinner, any lingering or conversation, too impersonal. We felt rushed.. You couldn't just show up. The Sandals comparison: Sandals takes reservations thoughout the evening, no set seating times. On restauarants without reservations, you can just show up whenever you want. That's what we missed with the Riu. But hey - Riu charges far less per night, so if you wanted to go out for an evening for dinner, no problem. To that point: one evening we dined at the Sunset Mona Lisa - an absolute must ! The best food, best sunset scenery! Truly a memorable evening.
Entertainment: The evening band was good, but they needed to change their songs or even the band itself for variety. Also, the band was situated upon a high balcony-type stage - too impersonal. Okay, here's the true gem: At the Ventana bar from 6:00 to 8:00 - Elizabeth the singer-pianist. Get a martini (or whatever you like) and just chill in a seat listening to her. Ella's music was the best part of the trip for us.
Staff - the friendlest staff - great people.
Knowing now what to expect, we would definitely return. But would wish the Riu would change their restaurant system and abolish the seatings for a good dining experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Los Cabos
- Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos, Mexico