“"Very Relaxing Getaway"”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I went to PBP to relax and get away from the stresses of everyday life and we did. The Pacifica was quiet serene and beautiful. We arrived to a glass of champagne and cool towels and the lobby was scented with a beautiful calming scent. Doors opened for you at doorways and restaurant. Plenty of staff at your service. We had an oceanview room and the views of the grounds and the ocean were spectacular. We endulged in a couples massage at the spa and it was one of the best experiences we've had at a spa. The food was delicious and plentiful. We spent time at the PB Sunset timeshare resort. We used the skytop pool, ate at the Bistro and Freda's (our favorite restaurant of all the property's). We did do the timeshare tour and came close to buying. They say it's an hour and half but we were there for over 3 hours. I was a little annoyed but the perks were worth it in the end. We ate at Fellini's at the PB Rose and it was good but you should be aware that there is a separate menu if you are on the all inclusive plan. I would choose Freda's over this restaurant. We ate at Cilantro's at the PB Blanco for lunch and that was excellent as well. All in all our stay was wonderful and we would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Oceanview is worth it.
5  Thank Iris319
Write a ReviewReviews (3,992)

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Spent the day here while traveling on the Carnival Splendor to Cabo. It is the most beautiful resort I've been to; clean, fantastic service and great food! Thoroughly enjoyed myself, will surely be returning!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 20 March 2012

OVERALL
The Pacifica was a great place, the property itself is mostly in great shape and is well designed. The resort is small, but not too small and quiet, but also not too quiet. In other words, you don't feel like you're the only one there unless you really want to feel that way. In which case, there is a private beach where you can find all the alone time you could ever want!

AI PACKAGE
We included the all-inclusive amenity on our visit. There were very few guests who did not from what I could tell. The one "catch" here is that there are more items on menus (including drinks at the bar, such as specialty margaritas) which were not included in your plan. Generally speaking though, it wasn't that big of a deal and most of what we wanted to get was included. I would recommend this route for most travelers, especially if you plan on eating/drinking at the resort much... and includes same priveleges at other Pueblo properties.

FOOD
Having been to lots of all-inclusive resorts, even the "higher end" ones, I know not to expect the world when it comes to the food. While it was not anything that would "blow my mind", I would describe the food here as a pleasant surprise. I will qualify this as being from someone who lives in an area with lots of restaurants (Seattle), and who goes out to eat A LOT.

Pescados (Sushi): Overall decent, I had high hopes, and the only item that significantly prevented a stronger review was the quality of the rice. It was off somehow, not sure how to describe but it wasn't as sticky as it should have been and the texture was off. Might seem nitpicky, but it is pretty important with sushi.

Siempre: Ate breakfast here every day, your options are to dine off the menu or at the buffet (or both). Generally speaking, I would say this was good but very comparable with other resorts of this quality. Dinner was just OK (ate twice), nothing to write home about but nothing worth complaining about either.

Aire (poolside): Nearly everyone who spends their day at the resort eats poolside, Siempre is open during this time but essentially carries an abbreviated version of the same menu (and who wants to leave the pool?!). Generally speaking, I found the food here to be pretty good! We ate just about everything on the menu, and found it all to be decent-to-good ... the staff here was also very attentive and gets rave reviews for keeping a full beer within arms reach!

La Nao (at Sunset Beach): This was the most disappointing dining experience of the trip. When we were there, TONS of kids everywhere making lots of noise. Also, only table available (on reservation) was outside, and it was cold and they ran out of blankets. Service was slow, but friendly. Food was disappointing.

La Frida (at Sunset Beach): Overall, this is the place that takes this place from "average for a high end AI for food" to better-than-average. Firstly, make any of your reservations here the first thing when you arrive. We weren't able to eat there until our 4th and 6th nights (they were closed our third night, a Monday). All the food we had here was excellent, definitely my favorite food I have had at an all inclusive. Service was great as well.

ROOMS
The rooms are nicely furnished and modern, with an adequate balcony space for lounging. The major downside is that they're pretty small. I would guess around 500 SF, excluding outdoor space, which is typical for a "hotel" but not a "resort" or at least most of the ones I've stayed at. Also, they need to replace the TV's... old tube TV's and no stereo/music capabilities within the room. Beds were just OK, I had a hard time sleeping but don't know that I can completely blame the bed. We don't spend much time in our rooms, and while there was room for improvement it wasn't enough to distract from the other amenities.

POOL
First of all, plenty of space at the pool. You can play the "towel game" (we do) if you want to get the best spots, but generally speaking there is a chair for everyone somewhere. Loungers are nice and cushioned, but they don't have any that you can bring in the pool (halfway in/out lounging is my favorite!). Only downside here is that they are having quite a few tiles missing/loose in the pool, which detracts from the appearance a bit. Water was also pretty warm, so no concerns with that... both pools were about the same temperature, the smaller one maybe slightly warmer but not noticably different as noted by some other reviews.

BEACH
Can't forget about this one... you basically have a whole stretch of private beach. While we were there, there were lots of whales in the area (the whale watching tours hang right in front of the hotel!). This was cool, to see the whales playing very close to where you were. A first for me. That said, if it's not whale-watching season there is still a lot to be said for the level of privacy and space you have on the beach here.

SPA
My wife and I both received spa treatments. Mine was awesome, her first was "the worst" while her second trip was "one of the best". The facilities are very nice, with cold plunge pool, hot plunge pool, steam room, and spacious locker facilities (and really nice showers). They have a really nice workout area, which I intended to use but instead decided to lay around!

LOGISTICS/WEATHER
Just a quick note, as has been mentioned by others this hotel is a ways from the airport. I strongly recommend private transportation (or a cab?). We received private transportation through Cabo Transfers (you can book online), and it worked well... $165 round trip (not cheap, but isn't your vacation time worth it?!). Also, weather-wise, we were there the last week of February/first week of March. Weather was nice, generally about 80 degrees most days but it does get windy sometimes... overall very comfortable, and able to spend ample time at the pool... but sometimes mornings were a little cloudy and cool.

Room Tip: Unless you pay more beyond the basic rate, you are on the first (really the second) floor of the hot...
10  Thank BigHorseMan
Reviewed 19 March 2012

With its breathtaking modern designs and immaculate desert-inspired landscaping, Pueblo Bonito Pacifica gave my wife and me the personalized, relaxing, adults-only vacation at the epitome of luxury. Upon our arrival we were greeted with champagne and a cool damp towel to refresh ourselves after a long day of travel. Our room was beautiful, immaculately clean and the housekeeping staff surprised us daily on the turn down service and the towel creations (though we never saw them).

We opted for the all-inclusive package which gave us so many options for visiting, dinning and activities at the sister resorts of Sunset Beach, Rosé, and Los Cabos. We were able to use the free shuttle service to all of the resorts and once at Rosé and Los Cabos you are just a short distance to downtown Cabo and can enjoy the nightlife if you so choose too.

We found the staff genuinely friendly; all spoke English and made sure to address us by name. We were treated to gourmet à la carte dining, sushi and drinks at Pacifica’s Siempre, Pescados, and Horizons. In addition we had amazing dinners at La Frida’s at Sunset Beach and Fellini’s at Rosé which offered preparations unrivaled in the States. Our last night in Cabo San Lucas was by far the most special, we dined at La Frida’s at Sunset Beach, were serenade by their Mariachi Band and truly made to feel like we were a part of their family.

If being pampered poolside isn’t enough, you can opt for a beach bed with a personal staff or simply indulge in the serenity of soaking in the resort and a Cabo sunset just sitting out on your balcony at night with an authentic Mexican drink.

Pacifica’s beautiful 2.5 mile beach gave us an added surprise of being able to watch whales swimming and playing just 60 yards of shore. What a treat.

We will forever treasure our vacation in Cabo San Lucas and hope to return sooner than later.

6  Thank Wendy I
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and myself traveled to the resort with five other couples in February and it was anything but a relaxing vacation. We opted for the all-inclusive option, which essentially makes you a second-class citizen at the resort. If you choose this option, you will not receive poolside bar service, you will find it very difficult to get reservations at the sister restaurants--generally speaking the service you will receive is poor. Be sure to check your outstanding tab one day before you depart--we discovered that we were charged for meals that were supposed to be covered under our all-inclusive plan. It takes them awhile to sort this out, so give them some lead time to correct it.

Also be sure to watch any belongings you leave by your lounge chair while in the pool. Staff comes through late afternoons to pick up towels, drinks, etc. left by others, and they also happened to swipe two new bottles of Clarins sunscreen and block from my chair. I quickly discovered this and began asking for my product back. I was told that the employee responsible was on dinner break and I'd need to wait an hour to speak with him. There is no central lost and found at the resort, so anything that is lost will likely never be found. I enlisted help from the concierge, property manager, etc. and was offered the option to buy new sunscreen at the spa for $117. I had just paid $80 for my products and was now expected to shell out an additional $117.

All in all, the staff at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica do not place an emphasis on the guest experience. Be prepared to serve yourself and don't expect the staff to assist with a thing. From this standpoint, our vacation was an incredible disappointment. We will not return, nor will we recommend the resort to friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nikki M
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I traveled to Cabo for a 7 day solo trip for my birthday and relaxation. Had reviewed the other Cabo Pueblo Bonito locations and determined Pacifica was perfect for me. Quiet, easy access to the pool, activities, beach. Service is excellent from the time you arrive at the resort and met with a cold glass of champagne and scented damp cloth to refresh yourself. Check in easy and simple. Room service twice a day is almost excessive. Had to put 'do not disturb' for evening turn down.
Opted out of 'all inclusive' . Found out later from a couple that you can do for just a part of your stay vs. the entire stay. They recommended the restaurants at Sunset Beach resort (up the hill) which you will want to make reservations as soon as you arrive. That is the down side--must plan ahead. I only went to Sunset Beach one night for early dinner. Very nice to sit outside for sunset. Pacifica Siempre restaurant nice with in door and out door seating. Healthy choices for all meals which I appreciated. Good wine selection.
Activities: Attended the cocktail class given in the bar off the lobby. Class was excellent and I was the only one there--got 3 great cocktails. Apollo in the lobby bar happy to please as well as Moses, the server at the pool.
Wine tasting--Abraham the wine somolier was excellent. Introduced wines from the Valle de Gudalupe area (near Ensenata). Provided lots of information,great tasting along with chocolate and fruit to go along with it.
Pool activity personnel all very good from water arobics to beach volleyball. All enthusiastic with good participation by guests.
Cooking class on my last day with Roberto, the chef, and Miquel from activities dept. was fun
and informative. Made tortilla soup from scratch--yummo.

I rented a car and felt it was great to go into town which is a short 7 miles from the resort. Easy to get to. I had a little trouble finding street signs on corners which are sometimes 'missing' .
I had picked a couple of local restaurants which had received very good reviews on trip advisor and wanted to go.
Los Tres Gallos which specilizes in 'mole' on 20 de Noviembre St. is really great.

Over all Cabo is like AZ on the Pacific....cactus, mountains. Pacifica has a long beach for walks. Would recommend for couples, friends, or solo. Everyone is friendly and excellect service.
PS If you opt to go to time share presentation at Sunset Beach they offer a $200 credit for your hotel--covered most of my meals. If you own a timeshare, makes it a simple situation to keep it short.

Room Tip: Wi fi was spotty at best
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank joanieg1
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Our 6 day, 5 night stay at the Pacifica was perfection! We had a Oceanfront Suite with our own butler Martin. He was for our every need! The resort was 5 Star. The service was over the top! everywhere you looked there was someone there to serve you! Our room had 2 large balconies and from each balcony we could see whales! We were on a one mile stretch of gorgeous sand beach where we ran along the ocean every morning. The all u can eat breakfast was healthy, full of fresh fruit, omlettes made to your specifications, fresh juices and much more! The sushi restaurant was our favorite and the meals out by the pool were exceptional as well. The 2 bedroom suite was perfect, with a separate large soaking tub and large tile shower...,they did not miss anything when this resort was built! You are just minutes from downtown! The drive to the resort is breathtaking, as you come over a hill on the Pacific side and see the beautiful Pacifica resort! We were so privileged to know that that was OUR final destination! The pools are perfect temp and the drinks are served with a gracious smile from their exquisite staff! My husband is a surgeon and we have 3 small children, so this adult only resort was a perfect getaway for us! We had an amazing experience at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica! We will definitely b back!!!

• Stayed: March 2012