“Relaxing and beautiful but dining a problem.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Pebble Beach CA
“Relaxing and beautiful but dining a problem.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

Most of the reviews are fairly consistent in saying the hotel is beautiful, peaceful, elegant and romantic. It is. I won't repeat all the good things. I was disappointed, however, with the lack of variety of restaurants. There was the upscale and overpriced Siempre and there was the pool restaurant. The store selling sundry items really doesn't count as a restaurant. The pool food was good, but we got tired of the same items. We went into town for one meal a day, which worked out well, as there were a number of good moderately priced restaurants in Cabo. But, it was an effort to get to town by the hotels' shuttles. First, you have to book from the Pueblo Bonito Sunset to the Pueblo Bonito Rose. Shuttles between the two run hourly. Then you need to catch a shuttle form the Pacifica to the Sunset, which run every half hour. (I have mobility issues, and walking is limited.) Once at the Rose, you need to catch a taxi to a restaurant. Then all of this needs to be repeated in reverse. If all goes well, it takes an hour to get to a restaurant in town; at worst, 2 hours.
Also, not only is the push to do the time share talk a pain, but Siempre staff do their version of selling up. We had a late lunch one day and weren't really very hungry for dinner. We chose not to do wine, which was very expensive. And we always drink tap water, We ordered the entre only and thought our waiter was displeased that we didn't order wine, bottled water, a salad or dessert and his lack of service to us showed. However, all the other hotel staff were terrific.
In answer to the question of whether I would recommend this hotel to a friend, the answer is yes, with reservations.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SilkyCard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

I have never written a review before but I felt compelled to write this after our stay at the Pacifica this past week. It is beautiful, quiet and serene. They greet you with a cool, scented cloth and from that moment on you are pampered and tended to. The servers knew our names after just one meal. They greeted us warmly every day . We ate and drank at the pool each day, being taken care of by Carlos, Marco, & Christian. We had a couples massage on the beach that was absolutely delicious! We ate at Siempre our last night and felt as though we had the place to ourselves. Delicious food, total attention...even a poncho placed over my shoulders for the cool breezes while we dined outside. We were not obligated to take the "ownership" tour but decided to do it after they kept upping the ante. It took longer than they said it would...but it didn't get ugly or uncomfortable. As a result, we received $200 resort credit, $100 spa credit, and 50% off of a sunset dinner cruise we took out of Cabo. It definitely paid us well for our time. I read another review that referred to the noise above them. Yes, the last two nights someone was above us and we could hear noise from their activity. The floors are tile and stone so the noise does not get muffled. However, we did not find this a big problem. I also read reviews stating that the food was so-so and very expensive. I have to disagree. We thought the food was fabulous and reasonable. I question whether these people have travel/resort experience. Yes, Siempre was expensive...but OUTSTANDING both in taste and presentation. If you don't want to spend the big money...use other restaurants. "Aire" was great and reasonable. The cafe had inexpensive items for breakfast so we bought and took up to our balcony each morning. We dined one night at the sister resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset, which is reached by shuttle. We ate at "Nao". It was an Italian buffet and delicious. It was pricey for a buffet...something like $30/per but it was not a typical buffet. Outstanding!!!! I would not recommend the Pacifica for anyone who wants action and needs to be entertained. This is a totally relaxing "zen" kind of resort. Please be aware that you can not swim in the ocean here...too dangerous. But the pools are wonderful! And the beach lounges, beds, and pool lounges are all comfortable.

1 Thank sleehan
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

I have been waiting years to find a resort like this. The Pacifica is one of the top 2 resorts I've been to in the world (to add perspective, the other is the Mykonos Grand in Greece). I don't say this because it clean and new. I say this because the Pacifica's value proposition addresses everything that you can't find at other Mexican resorts, including other "adults-only" resorts.

Imagine this:
- rooms with comfortable mattresses and pillows (not wooden boards)
- solid plaster walls so you can't hear your neighbors conversations, nor they yours
- you can walk out to the pool at 10:30 am and find a great seat.
- you can walk to your room at any point in the day and you'll only see 2-4 other people max
- you can go to dinner and be served food of high-end restaurant quality -- not meat that has been boiled or fish soaked in oil/butter.
- you can walk for 20 minutes down a unused natural beach and hear waves and birds not vendors and loud music
- you can sit on your balcony and stare at the ocean and the whales, not look into another building or stare at other people.

I didn't realize how much I liked this resort until I went to the other PB hotels via their shuttle.

The Sunset in new and clean too -- but we walked off the shuttle to a group of 20 people smoking and families running around chaotically. Then we walked through the lobby and choked on the fumes of golf carts navigating guests to and from their more that 500 rooms – think Disneyland.

The Rose and Blanco are ancient hotels of an era long passed. They were full of students on March break and screaming "Tequila" and "I love Mexico" from their balconies! Sadly, you say the odd young family with babies trying to cope with the noise and chaos.

If you are looking to meet other people and party hard -- you want one of these three places. If you are looking for peace, quiet and QUALITY, go to the Pacifica.

As for the timeshare pitch, the solution is really simple: Don't do it….don’t even be tempted to do it. Refuse the breakfast and don’t give them your room #. Say "no" from the first minute you walk in. We had a 5 minute conversation about it and we NEVER heard about it again.

I don’t usually take the time to write review. But this place has got something really good going. They’ve made me re-think the whole AI concept. We’ll be going back to the Pacifica again – hopefully again this year!

New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2009

I stayed at the PB Pacifica with my boyfriend the last week of March to celebrate his 30th birthday. Like the other reviewers have said, if you've made arrangements to the hotel, do not stop until you are outside (meaning, breathing fresh air outside).

After baggage claim, there will be double doors you go through which will lead you to a sea of timeshare people harrassing you. Pass them and go through the double doors on the right, where you will be bombarded with more timeshare people trying to confuse you into taking a ride with them. Pass them and go through the last set of sliding double doors until you are OUTSIDE, where there will be many people with signs, so you just have to find the company you booked your transportation with.

The ride to the hotel was fairly long (45 min) and we rode in a van full of college springbreakers from UC Berkeley. While we paid $18pp online, they paid 150 pesos each on the spot, so I guess you need to make the decision on booking transportation beforehand or not. (On the way back to the airport, we booked transportation through the concierge and it was $16pp)

Everything about the resort was exactly what I could ask for. Great service, great food (I never knew room service to be so yummy) at Siempre, Aire (yes, I had fish tacos.. twice!), Galeria Deli were all great. Great great great.

The only issue I had during my stay was that I had some necklaces taken. I packed 3 necklaces (I originally thought it was 2 but once I got home I realized there was one more missing) in a small jewelry box I take while I travel and left it in my open suitcase in the room (I put my clothes away in the closet & drawers and all the jewelry in the case was NOT expensive stuff, mostly fun costume jewelry) and I didn't open it during most of my stay bc I was out and about at the pool or in the desert riding ATVs. I noticed them missing but thought maybe I didn't pack them for some reason because WHY would someone steal cheap jewelry when my boyfriend had his expensive watch and I had a diamond pendant necklace out on the desk?

So I put it out of my mind until the last night when my purple shorts were missing from the room. They were my sleep shorts so again, NOT expensive and at that point I was very upset. My boyfriend called Housekeeping and I went down to the concierge to file a report. They were as helpful as I guess they could be. Security and a bell boy came and searched our room and could not find any of the missing items. During the search, Housekeeping called back, saying they had the shorts and it somehow got mixed up with the sheets, which I guess can happen.

However, nothing came of the search, my necklaces are still missing and no one has contacted me about it which is expected as I assume no maid would admit to stealing from a guest's room. I'm really upset about the whole thing and will file an official compliant with corporate because I'd hate to think that someone else could be victim to theft on what was otherwise a perfect vacation.

Would I go back to the PB Pacifica? If it were not for the incident I'd say it was overall probably the best resort I've stayed at ever. I guess it depends on what kind of response I get from corporate because again, one maid isn't reflective of an entire organization.

Would I recommend this hotel? Both yes and no obviously. I'd say yes with the caveat of keeping your valuables (sentimental or otherwise) locked up.

Regardless, the next time I go on vacation I'll be locking up EVERYTHING I don't want taken in the safe.

Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

This resort is well worth the trip if you are seeking a peaceful and friendly place to stay in Cabo. They do insist on the time-share presentation, which if you're willing to spend half of a day with a sales person who may become rude and agitated at the end when you decide not to purchase anything, is worth the discounts on food and the spa. The beach is not swimmable, but I watched humpbacks, a pod of orca, plenty of brown pelicans, and a sea lion...bring binoculars! You can easily walk or ride a shuttle to the neighboring Pueblo Bonito Sunset resort if you want more variety and people. You can also ride a shuttle into town that drops you off at the Rose and Blanco hotels for free. The food is reasonably priced unless you choose an expensive/upscale restaurant (like Frida's)...but all service is great. Every single employee is courteous and from what I witnessed, they also work very well together which adds to the positive atmosphere. It's not really 'holistic' in the true sense of the word, but it is a very nice and relaxing place. There are plans to build other housing and high-end hotels in the same area...so the atmosphere may take a turn when that's completed....but for now it is remote and peaceful.

This was the first time I flew into Mexico (usually I drive), so did not anticipate the time-share sharks waiting for you after you clear customs! Just walk past these people and go directly outside after you've claimed your baggage or you will experience a massive headache! Thanks to the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, the headache did not last very long!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank goftheu
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

My wife and I spent a week at the Pacifico in October. It is a very clean, quiet, and asthetically pleasing hotel. We had a fantastic time. The trip would have been nearly perfect if not for the sales pitch immediately after we checked in. We took the bait for the "two-hour" presentation the next day, which lasted more than four hours and ended with an uncomfortable parting with the salesman when we said repeatedly that we did not want to buy anything. Aside from this, the Pacifico staff was outstanding and among the best of any resort I've been to--they made our trip as great as it ended up being. The room was very clean and had a nice view, though small and the bathroom lacked a tub. The spa was wonderful. We both found the on-site restaurants very good. It is a bit of a trek into Cabo, and the beach, while beautiful, is unfortunately not swimmer-friendly. Overall, this is a great hotel for couples looking for quiet and relaxation. We would stay here again if we were looking for the same and could get past the sales pitch.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
quesochica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

What a beautiful hotel. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The pool area was nice...and peaceful because it is an adult-only resort. They really work on their service. And they had a deal going which made the price great. The spa was very nice. As was the breakfast that we had in the hotel restaurant.

Unless you plan to stay on the property the whole time, I would recommend renting a car. They had a shuttle but I like having the flexibility to get around on my own and as it's quite far from downtown, you'll need transportation to go out for dinner. That said, it's tricky to find so follow the signs for their sister hotel at Sunset beach. The Pacific is next door.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple