“Awful customer service”

Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Kansas City
“Awful customer service”
Reviewed 7 June 2007

We had a guaranteed and confirmed reservation. Because our flight to Cabo was delayed, we arrived at the hotel on April 13 at 12:20 am. When we arrived, the night manager told us that due to a reservation systems error they were overbooked. He said we would have to go stay at Pueblo Bonito Blanco in downtown Cabo San Lucas for at least tonight and possibly longer.

After arguing for two hours, we finally agreed to this and found ourselves in an old, musty smoking room with two double beds! Another couple from our flight was also checking in at the same time, and was being given a similar story. The night manager kept saying that he could not guarantee us a room at Pacifica starting on April 13 since the manager that could make that decision came on duty at 9 am and so we were told to contact her. Recall, please, that we had a guaranteed and confirmed confirmation for five nights, which the property was not fulfilling. We said to the night manager that certainly at least one Pacifica guestroom would be vacated by departing guests and then that room could be ours. However, he kept insisting that he had no idea if anyone would be departing and even if they would be, he couldn't guarantee us that we would be able to check in. We are left with the impression that the words "guaranteed" and "confirmed" have different meanings within the Pueblo Bonito organization than elsewhere in the hospitality industry.

After 5 hours of sleep, we arrived back at Pacifica at 9:15 am on April 13 in order to speak the day manager. She was nowhere to be found so we were told that she would meet with us in the restaurant. We had a complimentary breakfast and waited for her to meet us in the restaurant. At 11 am I asked a waiter to find her and then a phone was given to me and she was on the phone. She explained that we were going to get a room but it was being cleaned and we should come to the front desk later to check in. We finally got to our room (#1334) at 2 pm and we were pleased to see that it was clean and had a king-size bed and was not dumpy, old and musty like the Blanco room.

They told us that there was a water leak and that was why so many guests were not given their rooms. They assured us that the rest of our stay would be superb and that we would get an invitation to the Pacifica's 2nd anniversary celebration on Monday, April 16. After our meeting we talked to four other guests and it should be noted that none of us ever saw any workers dealing with water leaks and we were all told different stories at check-in when our rooms weren't available. So, we don't really think there was a water leak. We think that you overbooked on purpose and just tried to get the guests to stay at a sub par resort that allowed children.

On Saturday, April 14, we decided to eat breakfast in the restaurant. We received exceptionally poor service. I had to refill my water glass from the bathroom, while my husband had to wait 10 minutes, three different times, for coffee refills. We only left a 10% tip and wrote on the charge slip why the tip was so poor. We also told the waiter on three different occasions to just leave the pitcher of water and carafe of coffee if he couldn't provide refills in a timely manner, but he kept saying "No". On the way out we also told the hostess about our sub par refill service.

That night for dinner we decided to eat at the outdoor pool restaurant since we had already eaten breakfast at the other restaurant option. I requested ice water and a yellow lemon for my drink and the waitress said she didn't have any yellow lemons and only had limes. I told her that the inside restaurant did (i.e. the one that served us breakfast) and that it was jut over there, about 50 yards away and she continued to say that she didn't have any lemons. So, I said that I would get it myself and she was okay with this! I also asked her if one of the seven propane heaters that were standing near a wall could be brought over to our table since it was getting cool and she said that they were out of gas. I then requested some pool towels for warmth and she provided these. I was wearing the warmest clothing I brought (pants and a jacket) but I guess I should have brought my winter coat, too! I went next door to the inside restaurant and the hostess and waiters were appalled that the pool kitchen didn't have yellow lemons and also didn't have propane in the outdoor heaters. After these two unpleasant Saturday dining experiences, we decided to ask to speak to the restaurant manager. We went to the front desk at 7 pm with this request and were told that manager would call our room that night. He didn't.

On Monday, April 16 I decided to take advantage of the book exchange at the Activities Center but found it closed. The 2007 Activities schedule that was in our room said that it was closed on Thursdays. After 10 minutes I was able to find out that the 2007 schedule in our room was old and housekeeping hadn't bothered to replace it. The manager in charge of the Activities Center opened it for me and I was able to exchange my books, but the entire process took 45 minutes. By now, we had almost become used to the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica staff's consistent inability to do what they told us they would do. Their ability to seemingly lie to our faces had exhausted our sense of outrage and by the end of our stay caused us only weary amusement.

On two occasions after housekeeping cleaned our room, we had to call for an extra washcloth since only one had been left in the room. Our reservation clearly had two people in our room so I don't know why housekeeping insisted on only leaving one washcloth. I also noticed that the rooms on either side of ours had Pueblo Bonito slippers in them but our room did not. Housekeeping obviously needs a checklist of things to do for each room in order to make sure that the correct Activities Schedule and number of washcloths are in each room and any other miscellaneous items are put in the room, too.

We were also disappointed to find no drain plug or basin stopper for the bathroom sink. I needed to hand wash some clothing and when the sink doesn't hold water that makes it difficult. We made two calls requesting a stopper/sink plug, but were ultimately told that they didn't exist at Pacifica. However, a bucket was provided for our hand washing needs!

We travel regularly and frequent many five-star hotels and resorts, and have seldom encountered any problems at all at other properties, let alone the long list of service failures we encountered at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank LadyVol-VB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 7 June 2007

My fiance and I booked this hotel because of the good ratings and feedback on tripadvisor. I had heard about the 2 hour timeshare pitch, so went in prepared. After a VERY long flight from Boston we were tired and grumpy, but were still hustled to the time share reps in the lobby. We listened, felt like it was a good idea, and tentatively signed up for the next day at 9:00 AM. We told them we may not go, and if not that was our answer. Little did we realize that meant a 8:00 wake up call the next day to make sure we were attending!

We decided to go though, thought it would be worth the vouchers and food credit. It was OK in the beginning but turned high pressure in the end when they felt the need to call in a "manager"...despite the fact that I was very clear we weren't interested! In between calling the manager, and when we decided we were done, they let us walk out and didn't follow up with us on the vouchers or details on how to redeem them.

When we got back to the hotel I approached the timeshare rep in the lobby to follow up and was told they they should have been given to me at the end of the presentation! At this point I was beginning to feel like this was some form of bad business practice and they withheld them because we chose not to purchase a timeshare. I said as much (very calmly) and she was VERY rude to me. She was not helpful and told me I could go back up to the hotel myself to get them the next day (and we could not do any of the activities until we got them). I went to my room and tried to call a manager. They connected me to the same rude rep in the lobby! I hung up and firmly explained who I wanted to speak to, and was finally connected to a manager. At this point I was very exasperated, and told them that I was not feeling like a valued customer and was very unhappy with the service. I wanted the vouchers brought to me, and I wanted something in writing stating I would get my 20.00 back for "attending" the presentation. The rep in the lobby had told me I would not be getting this back, which contradicted what the rep had told me the day before! The one helpful person was the manager!

My fiance also had the cell phone number of the "manager" who had told us to call him if we changed out mind. He called him to tell him we did not have our vouchers- and he was very apologetic. In fact said we would get another 100.00 in food vouchers (which never materialized though). They said that if sales reps got 2 complaints against them they were fired, and this was the first complaint he and the other rep had ever had.

I am hopeful our experience with this was isolated, but I felt pressured, and it was a terrible way to start off our vacation- since they make you do this the first day. We kept saying that we wanted to enjoy the hotel before we committed to a timeshare!

OK, so other than that, the staff and grounds were beautiful. I didn't really mind that I couldn't swim on the beach. If you want to do that you can go to the sister hotel in town. It can be overwhelming though because you are constantly approached by vendors. There are no vendors at the Pacifica.

The wind was suprising- it gets very cool at night, and it very windy during the day. We almost had our food blow away, and they wouldn't let us open umbrellas for a few days. It wasn't terrible though, because it kept you cool under the hot sun.

We went in town and found a gem of a rest., Mexico Mystique. It was outdoor, with fires, and delightful. We liked the place so much we went twice! They make Cesar salad tableside, and the surf and turf is to die for. They knew our names after the first night, and made us feel so welcome. The house white wine is local and delicious. I highly recommend this place.

We also dined at the hotel rest., Siempre and at La Frida. Both were very good. Everything is expensive in Cabo, you should expect to pay the same level as you would pay at home. Try the fish or shrimp tacos at the pool! They were to die for! Also, save money and get your breakfast at the cafe by the pool. It is reasonable and very good. Especially the breakfast croissants. We split one of those each morning because they were enormous.

We also went ATVing. It was a total blast- I wish we had done more activities, but we had a bit of a bitter taste in our mouths given the whole time share experience. We also went to the tequila tasting at the hotel wine bar- Mauricio was awesome! It is pricey to do but so much fun. We made friends with him there, and he kept making us the most amazing tequila cocktails the rest of the stay!

All in all, we had a lot of fun and would recommend this place. My final words of wisdom: make sure to get your vouchers before you leave the presentation! And, check your tequila in your bag, even if you buyit from duty free! They will take it away at customs!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Time share presentation
11 Thank LaniR
Noblesville, IN
Reviewed 6 June 2007

My wife and I just returned from the Pacifica resort in Cabo San Lucas where we spent a week of much needed rest, May 27th-June3rd. Most of the postings for this resort are accurate and I will try not to duplicate what others have said. We have traveled many places in Mexico and the Caribbean, and would rate the Pacifica in the top of the rankings for what we like to do and see.

The resort is nicely finished and very well kept, the beach is great with no one there (waves to big to swim in the ocean), and the services were great at the resort. The views from the lower rooms are not so good, so ask for a higher floor if possbile. We went under an invitation only special and only paid $299 for the entire week of lodging. We did have to attend the timeshare promo at the Sunset Resort next door, but it was no big deal. Everything here is expensive at the resorts and in town, so prepare yourself. Depending on what you do, dinners may be $60 and up and most drinks will be around $9 and up. Typical resort pricing in a resort town.

Dining:
We never ate at the Siempre on site due to mixed reviews. We ate at the restaraunt at the Sunset Resort next door(down by the lower pool) 2 times with good food and reasonable prices each time. The Thursday night italian buffet was good. In town we ate at the mall and marina several times. Ruth's Chris was good, Senior Sweets was good, Mi Casa is a must for good local mexican food. We did not like the Ole Ole at the mall and would not go back. We also did not like Desparado's in town and would not go back. Check online and most of the reviews seem to be accurate for dining. The food at the pool bar was very good, and we heard good things about the cafe on site for breakfast and snacks. The fish tacos were very good as stated in earlier postings. We never made it out for much nightlife and did not go to Cabo Wabo, but they are all in the same area along the main drag in town.

Activities:
We did a dinner cruise with Eduardo from the Rissalena boat and it was very good. Laid back boat ride with a great meal out by the arch at Sunset Beach. Good service and pricing for the trip, it was only $50 each for the ride and food. Check him out at www.rissalena.com.
We rented a car for the week and it was a good idea as we were back in town every day for something or another. It was a great hassle to not have to worry about the cabs and taxis, and parking was no problem in town, so I would recommend a car rental. We rented through Dollar and had good success.
We drove to Todo Santos for an afternoon and went to the Hotel California and a few other shops. Not much to do or see there, but kind of a fun drive.

Suggestions:
We went to Costco and also the local grocery called CCC and bought a cooler and some food, snacks, alchohol, and water for the room. We saved a lot of money this way by eating a few breakfast and luches in the room and I would suggest doing the same if you want to save some money.
Tip your service people at the beginning of your stay for better service, and tip them well.
It is windy at the resort at times, so be prepared for that, and we also had 2 nights that were cold and windy after dinner.
The spa treatments were expensive and we only did a couple, but the service was good.
You can utilize any of the facilities at the Sunset Resort next door, and it is worth going over to at least check it out. Be sure to go up to the sky pool at the top of the mountain.
The pools at the Pacifica are great, with plenty of room and chairs and such.
We did some shopping in town and felt safe everywhere we went with no problems. There are pretty much no driving laws there, so be careful, you never know what the other cars are doing. You do run in to people trying to sell you stuff at the mall and marina, not unusual.
DO NOT stop for anyone at the airport if you rent a car, just go directly to the counter or outside for your car rental transportation. The other forums are correct in them trying to trap you in to other timeshare deals, and they will give you wrong directions on where you are going. Just be rude and keep walking or you will be sorry.
We drank the water at the resort with no problems and had bottled water at the other places we ate or traveled to.
Most of the shopping costs and some of the activities costs you do can be bargained for, so make lower offers and see where you get.
Otherwise, check the other postings and most of the info is correct and accurate.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank robonel
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 June 2007

We are retirees who are innkeepers in the Pacific Northwest. We were in Cabo San Lucas at our timeshare, Pueblo Bonito Rose, from 5/21/07 to 5/27/07. Upon arriving at the airport, we were aggressively directed to our timeshare desk, but as it turned out, it was a good thing. We were given certificates for many things, including free airport/hotel/airport transportation, three $50 certificates for dinner at the various Pueblo Bonito resorts, and two $50 certificates at the spa. Sitting through the presentation was also interesting as we got the Monte Cristo and Sunset tour and breakfast and lunch…and serapes!
We enjoyed Cabo San Lucas even though we didn't do the "Cabo" thing. Couldn't go into the beautiful pool, or the beautiful ocean (health issues), or sunbathe (those days are over), or do the Cabo nightclubbing (can do only minimal drinking); but we ate like royalty at the beautiful Mare Nostrum, and one terrific chili rellenos & chicken wrap lunch at the marina at Solomon's Landing with live marimba music.
We also visited Todos Santos and enjoyed a beautiful lunch at Los Adobes. We enjoyed our walk and looked up various business owners to say hola from our friend who frequents Los Cabos. We also visited Cabos San Jose and enjoyed walking around the town…I would love to have visited the Estuary.
The highlight of our trip (beyond the food in general) was our last evening spent at the Pacifica. I used the two certificates for a reflexology treatment and it was excellent although the reflexologist didn't speak English, so I received no feedback. A relaxing Margarita and Daquiri on the exquisite terrace overlooking the beautiful ocean, pool & exquisite gardens in front of the infinity pool with wild birds stopping for a drink was spiritual….soft new age music piped in everywhere.
We then enjoyed a beautiful meal at Siempre..such a cool, relaxing way to complete a warm (windless) day. Upon finishing our meal, the music became increasingly deeper and more interesting, only to find the stage in the adjacent lounge was filled with a trio, Tatwana, playing wonderful music, to which we felt compelled to dance. We left 45 minutes later with their CD and hugging them goodbye.
All in all a wonderful trip with 300 photos (yes I stop a lot walking through the streets and gardens) as our souvenirs.

• Liked — We only enjoyed the spa, restaurant & lounge but they were all first class
  • Disliked — N/A We did not spend the night
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank thebandb
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 5 June 2007

We got a mailer from PB Pacifica sometime in January advertising the $599 stay for a week for 2.
We thought it was great, so we booked a week.

The minute we got to the front door of Pacifica, they told us we couldn't stay there because of a "bad smell" and shuttled us up to the huge PB Sunset Beach resort. No one seemd to care that we didn't want to be there, and we had been so looking forward to Pacifica.

So all in all that started our trip off badly.
Sunset Beach is nice, but way huge and we had been ready for a small, quiet hotel.

• Liked — we finally got a king size bed after much arguing
  • Disliked — that we didn't get to stay where we had booked.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MagicPixel
manhattan, ny
Reviewed 2 June 2007

Firstly, our background. I'm a 28 year old finance professional from Manhattan and my fiancee is a doctor. We stayed 9 nights in the Pacifica from May 12-May 21st.

Resort overall is beautiful. The lobby, the views, the architecture couldn't be nicer. The resort is located on the Pacific side (along with the Sunset Beach - one of the PB sister properties) and is sort of in its own world. Consequently when staying here you can't walk to town, you have to take a taxi ($10 there, $12 back) but the seclusion is generally fine and welcome. The adults-only nature was great and very much makes this a niche-resort. If you are looking for a party hotel this is not the place. If you are looking for a very relaxing vacation with a signficant other then its an excellent choice.

We thought the food was fine. I've noted some bad reviews for Siempre. We really didn't agree. Maybe its a touch expensive but the food was really fine. One thing about ordering from the pool service - when it gets windy your food can blow away. One time they brought us our food and as they were putting it down my fiance's salad just blew away. They didn't even offer to replace it saying it wasn't there fault but finally after a battle they gave in. This is one point about the service. Overall, there is no question that it is very attentive and they really just want you to have a great time. But if something unexpected happens or not directly in their manual, they have no idea what to do. They are very much by the book in that sense. At times that was very frustrated. Also, one waitor asked us to mention him by name on our exit card which asks for any particularly helpful staff. That was ridiculous.

The pool is beautiful and never crowded, nor is the pool bar. Its very warm which is needed because of the wind. One more point about the wind - at one point they decided to close all the pool umbrellas because the wind was blowing them away and it could be dangerous. This was ridiculous because is 90 degrees with a very strong sun and with no umbrellas,no shade. They definitely should have the umbrellas nailed into the ground rather than the current system which is inconvienent when it gets windy. Many people including us protested strongly the taking down of the umbrellas and we merely tied very strong knots to keep them stable. I didn't see any other reviews really mentioning this but it was a big deal when i was there.

Spa: Expensive but that's to be expected. Nice facilities though my 50 minute massage was only 45 minutes. Also you have to pay 10 bucks for the gym if you aren't using the spa that day. That is sort of tacky and thus no one was ever in the gym. That is just a terrible rule - if you are paying 300ish a night for the resort they should let you use the gym without being ticky-tacky about it trying to squeeze 10 dollars out of you.

Cabo: We ate at Lorenzillos (expensive but great lobster place), mi casa (standard mexican, good - sort of a rite of passage cabo place), nick-san (great sushi place, best meal we had - crowded but well worth it). cabo wabo was fun, giggling marlin overrated.

Todos Santos: About an hour and a half drive. Small town. Spent about 3 hours there and ate at hotel california. Its a beautiful drive and a quaint town - not much to do there - not an overnight stay - just a day trip and you really can't spend more than 3 hours there.

We did snorkeling with baja wild - kayak and snorkeling. It was definitely the highlight of the trip and i highly recommend this.

Timeshare: totally painless 2 hours. You get breakfast and lots of vouchers. It was pretty low pressure for us because we were clearly viewed as very unlikely to buy one. There are timeshare hawkers at the airport - avoid them as they wil seize any modest interest by you and latch on and they hard to get rid of.

Overall, PB Pacifica was a beautiful resort and well worth it. We'd stay there again. There were some minor problems as noted but there are always minor problems wherever you go. I stress that this resort is for some people as noted above and not for the party crowd.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank jss679
Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 May 2007

My husband and I just got back from Cabo and stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. The hotel is very secluded and tranquil, perfect for a couples getaway. If you want more action, you can take a shuttle to the sister hotels in town - PB Rose and Blanco. I only wish the shuttles ran between the hotels more often. It's tough to plan your day around their schedule, so we often took cabs to town.

We also enjoyed the PB Sunset, which is their timeshare property. Yes, we took advantage of the timeshare presentation to get the discounts, which we deeply regretted, since it took up a good portion of our first day there. They say it's only going to take 90 min, but we were there for over 2 hours! But we made the most of our "gifts" and used it for a nice dinner at our hotel - Siempre - and poolside drinks and food. Siempre, in my opinion, was TERRIBLY overpriced! We shared an appetizer, each had an entree of fish, and shared dessert and a glass of wine - all of this for $180 (inclu tax and tip)!!! It honestly wasn't THAT great, but since it was essentially free with the gift certificate, the price really didn't matter that much in the end. I enjoy eating at the best restaurants and have indulged in quite a few in the US and Europe, but I have to admit that I was very disappointed with the food at Siempre. Paying those prices, you should expect the meal to be great, but it definitely fell short.

We also had a $100 gift certificate to the spa, which we used towards an 80 min couples massage on the beach. My massage was mediocre, at best, and they short-changed us on time by starting our massages 15 minutes late (we were there EARLY as recommended) and ended at the original end time. They tried to lie about the start time, but we knew they were late (we made note of the time they started on the clocks they brought with them to the massage tables). We complained to the spa front desk, and they were nice enough to give us a discount of 15%, which we appreciated. But ultimately, the massages weren't worth the money, so I would recommend spending your money elsewhere in Cabo.

Another gripe I had was the general priciness of EVERYTHING in Cabo! Our friends recommended having lunch at The Office, which is a restaurant right on the beach in the middle of the action. My husband ordered 2 beers and fish tacos, and I had a margarita, bottled water and grilled fish. Our total for lunch was $80 w/tip!! That's more than we pay for lunch in LA!!! It was a joke - too over-rated, if you ask me. Plus we were right next to a rowdy bar that had a "sexy booty dance" contest going on. Entertaining if you're in Vegas - not when you're trying to enjoy a nice lunch at the beach. I am not a prude, but I had to shake my head at the sight of families with young children eating in the same area as almost naked girls shaking their naughty parts within 2 inches of complete strangers' faces. We had a MUCH better meal at Mariscos Mazatlan, which is a local spot in town. GREAT authentic Mexican food at prices that won't break the bank. Head there and skip all the "institutions" along the beach.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, great setting, very relaxing and peaceful
  • Disliked — Too removed from everything else! Hard to do anything outside of the hotel
6 Thank M_AitaLosAngeles