“Fun Luxurious week at Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Lexington, Kentucky
“Fun Luxurious week at Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We've been coming here for since 1996 for our 1 bedroom timeshare and it's a great get away the week before Thanksgiving. As good as that has always been it was even better this year. Fortunately for us, this year we were upgraded to a wonderful OCEANFRONT 1 bedroom suite at the Sheraton Hotel, complete with kitchen and wonderful service. Our timeshare resort was overbooked and we ended up with an incredible luxurious corner unit suite with 2 large balconies.

The views from both of the balconies were lovely and provided incredible views of the pools below as well as the ocean.

On Tuesday the complimentary owner and guest reception was so much fun. Entertainment, free drinks (I love the Mango Margaritas!!) and food, door prizes was so much fun.

Daily water aerobics, bartender and cooking classes, Mexican Bingo, walks on the beach, wonderful pools and happy hours......umbrellas and chairs set up by staff on the beach, all made for a very fun and relaxing week.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Greek first
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 11 December 2011

The room was clean, the staff were very friendly, and the pools were great. Booked a massage at the spa, price was reasonable and the Cactus Spa facilities were clean. Was very happy with the massage.The only negative was the De Cortez Grill and Restaurant. Too pricey for menu items offered, the menu was definitely geared for a standard American-type meal, and the service was lackadaisical. The better restaurants were Girasoles De La Hacienda and Tomatoes Restaurant. Both had good service and great food choices. Prices were more in line with the type of food offered. The pool away from the oceanfront had plenty of good chairs available at all times of the day and the food and drinks were good at Sirenas. Went for a walk on the beach towards the golf course, the beach and water were clean.

3 Thank ceebee3
West Olive, Michigan
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed in building #9 of the vacatin villas for one week in a Junior suite. Several weeks before we arrived I had emailed to request an ocean view however, when we arrived we were given one in the middle of the property. A bit dissapointing, but since the sun set around 5:45 we spent our days overlooking the ocean and pools and by the time we were back in our room everything was dark anyway. They were able to improve our room the next day but since we were already settled in we stayed and it ended up being a very centrally located building to all the pools.

The size of our room was nice but the kitchen was small in the Junior suite. It only had a dorm-sized refrigerator even though I was promised a "full-size" refrigerator when I inquired weeks earlier. If we had gotten a Master suite then we would have the larger fridge. I think the larger quites went to the "owners" of the resort since it was peak Thanksgiving week. A big draw back to this resort is that it is not easily accessible to the main road and therefore we were not able to take the local bus into town for groceries. We had to pay $40 r/t for a ride to Walmart for groceries...so we only did that once. The taxi prices are set and not negotiable.

I had read another review about the beds. Yes, they are very hard!! I called for one of those "egg" foam toppers but they didn't have any. So they brought an extra comforter which I doubled up on my side of the bed. My husband wasn't bothered by the hard bed but if he was then we would have needed 2 comforters underneath us.

The resort was very large and well maintained. The staff was extremely friendly...even the tree-trimmers would stop and say hello. After a few persistant "no thank you's" for hearing the time-share picth they eventually left us alone. Even though we weren't owners of that resort they invited us to an appetizer/free drinks evening with a Mariachi band. It was a lot of fun!

The pools and hot tubs were incredible! We loved the sizes and locations...right on the ocean! There were quiet areas and the activities pool if you wanted to play bingo or volleyball. But get up early to reserve the primo seats. They don't want you to reserve with a towel alone, but if you put down magazines or hats with the towels they won't touch it. The beach, while not swimmable, was great for exploring. There were two areas that had great formations of rocks. We saw lots of sea life and coral.

We felt very safe at this resort since it was in a gated community with other resorts. However, on our previous visit we felt safe throughout the town as well. The staff was very accommodating and would bring out chairs to the beach if you wanted. The vendors would come by on the beach quite a bit but were friendly and not too overwhelming.

I can't comment on the restaurants because we ate all our meals in our room, it was easier and less expensive with children. We were surprised at check out that they charged us a daily fee for maidservice. I thought that was standard at any resort. I was planning to tip them anyway because they do an awesome job. Our room was always clean and well-stocked.

Overall, we LOVED this resort and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Even though I requested an ocean view room weeks in advance it won't matter if the resort is ful...
3 Thank flyer4fun
Alameda, California
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We had a fantastic 4 day weekend at the Sheraton Hacienda. We took advantage of the brunch buffet offer - Highly recommended. Every morning we spend a couple of hours drinking mimosas, and eating brunch by the ocean. It was relaxing. But the best part was our server Adelina. She was amazing and so sweet! She made us feel like home! Ask for her table if you can!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maria l
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Spent two weeks overlooking the Sea of Cortez from this beautifully maintained resort. The staff were all very friendly and the pools were awesome. Girasoles restaurant have the best serving staff I have experienced anywhere and they are always warm and welcoming. The all you can eat breakfast is worth the 16.50USD and they never charged for our 8 year old son to share our morning meals.
We pre-booked the airport shuttle pickup (80usd) return for 2 adults and 1 child and then booked our car rental online and got the cheaper rate.

The only real complaints we had was the cost of food at the hotels was expensive, and we were not able to check into our room until we were taken aside for the 'timeshare' sell.

2 Thank magoosmom
Oakland, California
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We were gifted a week of vacation through RCI. It just so happened that my friend was getting married at the Sheraton so it was the perfect opportunity to use our week. We spent 6 nights at the timeshare part of the Sheraton and one night in the hotel. I wish we would have stayed in the hotel the entire time.
Upon checking in, we were assigned a room in Villa #36. The room was very large--separate bedroom in rear of room, two full bathrooms, and living/dining room and partial (very partial) kitchen. There was a huge balcony with hot tub. There was absolutely no view and we were in the villa furthest away from the ocean and beach. We requested a new room on several occasions--I wanted a bit of a view and also have a toddler that made trekking all the way down to the beach/pool every day more difficult. They repeatedly told me there were no rooms available--although my friend was able to move easily.
It seemed as if there was a new issue with this room every day. 1) Hair dryer was falling out of the wall and wires were exposed. To their credit, they fixed this immediately. 2) The maid delivered wet towels to our room. 3) The jacuzzi didn't work. They did fix this eventually. 3) the lights on the balcony were at ankle-level and the light bulbs were hanging loosely and wires were exposed. They fixed one of these after our complaint, but not all of them. 4) There was rodent excrement all over the light fixtures on the balcony. We complained about this twice. They were at perfect level for my toddler to go playing with it. This was never addressed so we were forced to avoid the balcony. I find it hard to believe that maintenance can be lacking so in such a huge, well reputed resort. We later learned that the room we were assigned was in the oldest of the buildings. They no longer make that room layout because it is less desirable than the other room layouts. We were also told that because we were with RCI, we were assigned this room. Apparently, this resort only wants to treat their own well, but when it comes to someone using an exchange from RCI, they are going to put you in the oldest, least maintained, and least desirable room in the resort. (Not kidding, this is what we were told.)

We checked into the hotel for one night before we left. This was a far superior room, albeit much much smaller than our timeshare room. We wished we would have been in that room for the entire visit. We booked the hotel room using Starwood Cash and Points. We had assumed that meant we wouldn't get the best of the best in rooms. We were wrong. We had a beautiful room with a direct and sweeping view of the ocean. Stay at the hotel, not the resort.

The pool area is beautiful as is the beach. The restaurants were pretty good. A bit expensive though. If you are a wine drinker, you will be sorry. My husband is a sommelier in a busy San Francisco restaurant and he was appalled by the prices. The list is extensive, but the markup was absolutely incredible. A bottle of champagne that sells at my husband's restaurant for $80 was priced at over $300!

We did do the timeshare presentation. It was worth it--you get a tour of the resort and $100 to use on food/drink at the resort. We did the tour on our second day there and we talked seriously about purchasing. However, after the issues with our room and the lack of customer service regarding our issues, we would rather spend our money elsewhere.

This resort is nice, but with all of the resort choices in Los Cabos, I would suggest trying something else out.

Room Tip: Avoid Villa #36.
6 Thank J C
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Loved the location here. Great pools. Great Views. Easy to get to downtown on the shuttle or via cab late at night.

I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the rooms or the restaurants. We had a king room ocean front in villa 23. As I said above, GREAT location and great view. However, the rooms were old and walking into them from the outside you couldn't help but pick up the deep smell of mildew. Entering the room there was a healthy bathroom on your right with separate soaker tub (which we were warned not to use for fear of the safety of the water) and a separate shower.

After that the room was just average, maybe even bland by most sheraton standards (i'm spg gold, previously platinum). the bed was comfortable, I'll give them that. And the patio was awesome. I could literally just step out of the room and into the pool.

However, we did not have good food experiences here. Let's start with the positives. Good apps in the snack pool bar.... I forgot the name. Calamari was good, as were the chips and guac/salsa. Drinks were good, but a little light on the booze. Beers were always cold.

the breakfast buffet at Tomatos was good too, but I wouldn't go further than that. They try to make you really like it by providing you with a make-it-yourself bloody mary and mimosa bar but getting me drunk, while a nice touch, didn't make the food any better. The omlette station was good but the wife thought her egg white omlette wasn't cooked all the way through, despite asking for "well done". I thought the selections on the hot buffet side were lacking anything really outstanding. It was all just OK from the little breakfast nacho dish (chickettes?) to the breakfast potato and even the beef stew and ribs. Nothing fantastic there. For $16 each plus tips I again say this was just average.

The disaster of the place is D'Cortez. Talk about serving on ISLAND TIME - OMG. After seating us inside we waited, and waited and waited some more. Finally one of the waiters comes over and asks us if we're ready to order dinner. Really? Not a mention of drinks (we didn't even have water yet at this point), nor a offer for an appetizer.... they obviously don't know how to work up their tips. But regardless we went ahead and ordered because we were already "pot committed" to this place in terms of time. The drinks finally arrived. I had ordered a goose martini with extra olives. My wife a glass of chardonnay. The wife said her wine was excellent. Probably the best she's had in mexico. My martini arrived with three tiny little kalamatta olives on a tooth pick. I literally laughed. good attempt i guess.

For the food, I had the seafood stock pot and my wife the filet ( i wasn't going to order a $55 steak that wasn't prime but my wife isn't a seafood person). Seriously all the steaks were over $50 for what? "Certified Black Angus" Again, NOT PRIME. who would do that? My seafood pot was good, not great. It had one oyster, one clam and two shrimp but had tons of those little mini marshmallow size scallops in there... for I don't even remember let's say $45. The steak that my wife ordered was fine I guess. Same steak you can buy at Walmart and cook yourself for $8/lb.

OK I'm done with the food...... the hotel staff was VERY friendly. The bag/bell boys especially were great. The service at the pools was a little slow and they didn't come to the hot tub unless you flagged them down.

Pitahayas was good, although we went there for business and didn't experience the entire menu. What we did have - tuna app, lamb chop lollys were EXCELLENT. The red snapper for dinner was my selection and it too exceeded expectations.

All in all this was a nice place but needs some updating in the rooms. Also, be warned, as soon as you check in you are escorted to the time share guy. This takes 20 minutes at least for him to leave you alone and accept "no" for the 100th time. That was annoying but not unexpected for us.

Finally, we did get to experience two baby turtle releases.... which was quite the unexpected treat and worth every penny! It of course was free.

Room Tip: building 23 is right next to De Cortez and one of the 4 pools
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank naperbill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#7 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Villa La Estancia
#8 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!