“Beautiful Little Secret”

Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Little Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We discovered this hotel by chance after an absolutely awful experience at the Fiesta Americana in Los Cabos (never again). We shied away from the Sheraton brand originally because we didn't want a giant commercial kind of hotel and wanted something more traditional in Mexican architecture and feel. We could not have been more wrong. The property, the gardens, the many beautiful and inspired fountains throughout the property, the pools, the people and the tiny nooks to swim and just while away the afternoons were incredible. Walks on the beach beyond belief. We brought our then 4 year old son, and he adored the kids club which had all kinds of beautiful arts and crafts scheduled throughout the day. There are hotel activities which remind one of the olden days when you'd try to get everyone together to have a luau or a cocktail - not very fun for us, but kitschy touches that keep the people watching lively.

One note: you might want to skip the whole time share presentation - or not - after seeing the property we seriously considered it. The apartments they are offering are wonderful. The only drawback for us was not knowing which apartment you actually owned in terms of equity and managing outside rental income. We would have preferred an option to buy a specific property where we could return time and again, over sharing several throughout the property in a time share format. You do get wonderful gifts and discounts if you do decide to sit through it, cruises, snorkeling, whale watching, horseback riding and pretty much anything you can think of.

The rooms facing the ocean with their own private terraces are beautiful. We chose one in the far corner near a quiet restaurant and weren't disappointed. No noise or partying and just beautiful views of the moonlight and sunrise and sunset.

The food was wonderful as well. Lots to choose from. If you have children or want a little quick getaway to a place where you really don't need to lift a finger, this is the place. There are little shops on the property that have everything you need for your hotel room - milk, soap, laundry items, souvenirs, magazines, water, etc. Sheraton Hacienda will take you to another time and place, the Spanish architecture and all the landscaping, hummingbirds, butterflies, birds and little touches make this a very special place indeed. We plan to return often.

Room Tip: Depending on your preference. The rooms on the ocean front are magnificent with large terraces. Ask...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SMLEYE
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for posting such a good review of Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, even if it were by chance. Nothing feels better than a good experience, after a bad one. Our staff works diligently to make sure all our guests have a good time and relax. You deserve to enjoy your time away, take in the amazing visuals our resort has to offer, and enjoy the many activities. That's what it's all about, and we are happy we provided you with a great stay.

Please visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Greek first
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our most recent visit to the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar was outstanding as usual. This particular trip was a bit different that our normal long weekend getaways as it was the whole family - my wife and I decided to finally bring our three children. We rented a 3 BR unit through a time-share rental site, Concierge Realty out of Florida. I was a bit anxious as you never truly know what you'll get, sight unseen or if you'll get anything at all...The vacation club reservations manager Beartis Cedillo subdued these concerns by staying in touch until our name finally showed up in their system - another example of the great service we always receive at HdM. And, although our room was on the"time-share side" the location was actually pretty close to the hotel side where we spend most of our time. The room, by the way, was outstanding - 3BR,3 bath with a huge balcony.
Let me first address the kids activities...we have three boys, 7, 9 and 15...the younger ones of course have trouble sitting still and had a ball running up and down the beach playing football and baseball with some new friends on the expansive north end of the beach. We had fun exploring the rocks and tide pools that flank both ends of the beach and did find a small, safe area amongst the rocks amongst the crabs and sea urchins, where the kids could actually get in the water and enjoy some splashing and mini-mini wave riding. I have to note that the one disappointment was that the oceanfront pool this time of year is really cold and only a handful of hearty souls took even a brief plunge...too bad it can't be heated. The kids did end up finding the "delfines" pool tucked away in the back of the resort where the water was much warmer. We also had the opportunity to watch Rubin - one of the lifeguards, uncovering a sea turtle nest one morning. We counted 114 eggs that were then transported to a safer place to hatch - an amazing site to see. There were also baby sea turtle releases while we were there - a fun experience for the kids. As expected, the kids had a fantastic time.

My wife and I usually request an oceanfront room in buildings 23 or 24 and frankly spend most of our time going back and forth between our room and the pool/beach. But with our room situated back further this time, we were able to see just how beautiful this entire resort is. Of course we've always been impressed by the landscaping, but as we spent more time wandering the grounds through the meticulously groomed amazing array of flowers, palms, cactus and tropical gardens we were again reminded why we stay here time and time again!

Meals were good as usual...the boys pretty much stuck with quesadillas, pizza and burgers. This trip we dined at Tomatoes, the Sports and Sushi bar (to watch football) and Girasole - again service was outstanding. We usually have lunch poolside and very much enjoy the fresh fish tacos. Javier, David and Jorge at Tomatoes are as welcoming and friendly as can be. The breakfast buffet there is full of great choices for everyone in the family. Look for Eduardo...he's one of the food and beverage managers and has always been eager to make our dining experience the best it can be.

Speaking of service, once again the staff at HdM is fantastic!
We're frequent guests and now know many of the staff, but they never cease to amaze. Let me start with the concierge desk. Irma, Lupita and our good friend Guillermo literally treat us like family - welcoming us back "home" and taking care of all our needs. GuilIermo works the pool and is always around to handle all your needs. He's attentive and accommodating with spot-on recommendations for dining and activities. I can't say enough about him. Get to know this group - they'll make a huge difference in your stay. Joel and the bell staff handle the greeting with professionalism and warmth. At the pool, Marco and Francisco expertly and with a smile, do the hard work of making everyone comfortable at the pool with their towel service, moving of lounge chairs around and setting up umbrellas. They always take good care of us!
The waitstaff at the pool is friendly and helpful...Regulo, Ignacio, Tito and Abel are the best!
I have to address another recent reviewer's comment about the "unfriendly" guy at the tequila bar. Let me tell you that review couldn't be further from the truth. Enrique, the bartender at my favorite post beach spot (happy hour at the Tequila Lounge is 5-7) couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. His service of both the bar and the patio is excellent - I will say he could use some help in there as it can get busy. And just like my local bartender, Enrique actually remembers my favorite tequila from one trip to the next!! Amazing.

On thing we would love to see is some sort of evening beach activity...maybe a couple of big fire pits on the beach at night with some live music to hang out by after dinner. There's no doubt that would go along way to satisfying some of the concerns about the lack of "nightlife" at the property.

All in all the Hacienda del Mar is a top notch, laid back, beautiful, family resort with plenty to do for everyone. What it is not, is an overpriced, stuffy celebrity hangout like some of the other "5 star" resorts on the corridor. So, if you're looking for a great place to relax by the beach, with good food and excellent service, you won't find a better place.

We had another fantastic visit to HdM and will be booking our next trip very soon!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter P
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for posting this great review of The Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar on TripAdvisor. So happy to hear our staff exceeded your expectations. Our staff works very hard to accommodate all of our guests. We also appreciate your suggestions. We take all of our guests comments seriously. All of you help us to improve so we can provide you with the best resort experience in Los Cabos. We can't wait until your next visit with us!

Thanks again!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

First trip to Cabo, lovely hotel, great view, greater staffs, if I have to mention just one name it should be "Lupita" at concierge. She was very friendly from the very beginning and until the end, patient with all the questions/requests, efficient, when I ask for her I know my requests will get done. Lupita is a true gem for this hotel :)
Bell staffs were always friendly approaching how's my vacation going so far if they can assist with anything. We had AC problem one night 11PM but a guy from engineering dept. came up fixed it right away. Coffee maker wasn't working, and a housekeeping lady came up with a new one right away after a phone call to service express. Even if you don't have coffee maker in room, you will find a table set for coffee for the guests right outside of Tomatoes Restaurant, coffee was little weak for me ane my friend, but it will be good for grab and go when you are heading out to the pool, or watching sunrise in the hot tub!
It is very peaceful and beautiful location, but not the most efficient location if you want to experience the downtown for bars/restaurants/beach/etc. Hotel runs shuttle $10 roundtrip, it drops you off at the mall right off marina, lots of things in walking distance from the drop off spot, but shuttle doesn't run every hour or late night, so be prepare for a cab ride if you plan to stay in downtown later than 9:30PM.
High waves, you can't swim in the ocean, but it is truly beautiful watching sunrise and the waves crash along the beach! Personally thinking it is better with family with kids, not for young drinking crews as their bars closing early lol
Gym was a little tight for the size of the property, it was very packed in the morning and the evening, but I didn't want to run in a gym while I had a beautiful view outside! I think I could've enjoy more the hotel if I had oceanview with a balcony, but I had a garden view on the ground level, not much lighting even during the daytime, I will make sure to get one with a better view next visit! Overall, loved the hotel, staff, and foods at Tomatoes, and I will visit again :)

Room Tip: get a Oceanview room with Balcony if you can afford it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SoojungL
Thank you for posting this good review of The Sheridan Hacienda Del Mar on TripAdvisor. Our resort offers some of the best views in Los Cabos, and it's nice to hear you were able to take advantage of that. The goal of our staff is to make sure we make you feel right at home, comfortable, and take care of all of your needs during your stay with us. Glad our staff provided you with excellent customer service. We hope you will return in the future!

Thanks again!
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was our first trip to Cabo, but not our first time in Mexico. For reference, we usually stay in 5+ star, adults-only, all-inclusive resorts. We were there as part of a convention group, and knew we would be under the "all inclusive" package and that we had a room... beyond that, we didn't know what to expect. But, we were meeting family there and would be with a fun group, so it had promises of a good time.

No problems with the airport transfer arranged by the hotel. Once we ran the gauntlet of timeshare sharks through the airport (good Lord, they're worse than in Cancun!), our shuttle driver was waiting right outside the door holding up a sign. We had a beautiful, scenic drive to the hotel and some friendly small-talk with our shuttle driver. On arrival, we were promptly checked in, and pleased to find we were assigned an ocean-view room with king bed on the 3rd floor - room 2635. When I entered the room, I noticed nothing else but the spectacular view of the ocean. Really magnificent. The balcony was furnished with 2 chairs and a small table, perfect for having a cocktail or coffee and just watching the waves roll in.

Resort

The property is beautiful and well-maintained. Grounds are spotless, walkways kept clean of debris, and beautiful flowers and foliage everyhwere. The hacienda-style buildings are really charming, all furnished with balconies and very colonial feeling. We were approached by timeshare people when we first checked in, but as I always do, I told them firmly and politely we were not interested, and we were not bothered again for the rest of the week.

Room

The room itself was clean, comfortable and well-appointed. Bed was super-comfy and we slept very well. As other reviews indicate, some aspects of the room are a little dated, namely tiles in the shower. Not a huge deal for us. I loved the "old Mexican" feel and hand-painted bathroom sinks. The room was equipped a mini-bar fridge, but sat empty the entire week as apparently soft drinks, or even water in the fridge was not part of our "all-inclusive" package. They would stock it, for a fee. Really? Okay, to be fair, there were two bottles of water in the bathroom each day, and two on the table with the coffee maker, and each evening around 5pm housekeeping knocked on our door asking if we needed any coffee, towels or water. We always grabbed more water and stashed it in the fridge so we would always have enough. I've never felt the need to horde bottles of water in a hotel before... but we managed. There were times in the evening though that I really would have enjoyed a soda in the room without having to go down to a bar or restaurant. Housekeeping was great, no issues at all. On our first day, one of the lights above the bathroom sink was flickering off and on, which isn't a big deal but it was like a disco light and driving me nuts. I called housekeeping and within 10 minutes maintenance showed up to replace the bulb. The in-room safe also worked great, no issues there. Wi-fi also worked well and was included in our package.

The walls, however, are paper-thin. You can hear everything above, below, and in the hallway. If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

Food & Restaurants

Our "all-inclusive" package really should have more aptly been named "semi-inclusive" because that's what it was. There were only a couple restaurants we were allowed to eat in, and even the fancier a la carte 'De Cortez' had a separate menu for our convention group. We ate most of our meals buffet-style at Tomatoes or Las Sirenas, which was basically the same food from Tomatoes just brought over. The restaurant and bar staff was interesting, and seemed to be a hit or miss. They were either super-friendly and attentive, or they were completely indifferent and looked like they wanted to kill you, lol. We couldn't figure that part out, but we guess that they must have had a bad experience with someone from the group. I'm sure there were some rude, obnoxious people they had to deal with from our convention group, but we weren't those people. No matter where we go on vacation, we go with the understanding that we are guests in their country, and hotel staff usually work very hard and in most cases bend over backward to please you. In return, we always treat staff with respect, tip generously and make an effort to speak the local language, in this case Spanish. It didn't seem to matter here though, because a good number of them just didn't look like they wanted to be serving anyone from our group. We seemed to always be rushed out of a restaurant or bar, in some cases being brought the bill before we were even finished our meal or drinks. To be fair, there were a couple of really good ones who always greeted us with a smile and attentive service - shout-outs to Beatrice at Tomatoes and Reggie at Las Sirenas, you're awesome!

We've stayed in a lot of resorts that offered buffet-style meals, and in our experience this is usually okay if the food is fresh, flavorful and the selection is changed up each day for variety. The breakfast and lunch buffet at Tomatoes and Las Sirenas got old very fast. Same offerings every day; scrambled eggs, sausage links, refried beans, soggy chips with stuff on top, other meats that I didn't eat, a selection of cereals, fruits, yogurt, cheese and coldcut meats, breads, pancakes and pastries. An omelet station we didn't use. I didn't see a slice of bacon the entire time we were there. There was nothing terribly memorable for lunch and dinner either. The food wasn't "bad", it was just repetitive and borderline bland in flavour. When I travel to Mexico, one of the things I look forward to the most is nibbling on tortilla chips with some fresh pico de gallo. Surprisingly, and sadly, there was none of that. At least not in the buffet. I did see some guacamole a few times at the buffet but it didn't look especially appealing.

I've read a couple reviews that said the drinks were watered down, but I found the opposite to be true. Indeed, the margaritas we had were very strong - so much so that I had to have my husband finish mine on a few occasions. We liked to have evening drinks at
Bar La Suerte as the Sports Bar was a little too loud and rowdy for us... but we always seemed to be being kicked out of there too, being told it was "last call" even though it was only 10pm.

After many trips to Mexico, I've never been sick from food or water before (though I have in other countries), and maybe it's because of the high-end resorts that we stay in, or because I know to only drink bottled water, well-cooked meats, and usually stay away from fruits and salads. On our 2nd last night, we were so tired of the buffet food, 4 of us went to De Cortez for dinner, just for something different. This was our 2nd time at De Cortez, and the food is definitely good, though I found the service unnecessarily pretentious. Our reservation was at 7pm, and we didn't leave the restaurant until 9:30 - it took THAT long to get through a 3-course meal. Absolutely no need for it. And it's not like the wait staff was attentive and making sure we always had something to drink in between courses, we had to constantly wave someone down for water and wine refills. The following day, all 4 of us were ill with digestive upset. The one common thing all 4 of us had was a salad appetizer, so we attribute it to that. As I write this review 1 week later, I am still dealing with intestinal issues and will be going to the doctor on Monday for an antibiotic. My husband, and brother and sister-in-law who were with us are also still ill and are now taking antibiotics.

Beach & Pools

We don't use the pools, but they looked very nice. Likewise, the beach was beautiful and never had trouble getting chairs and umbrella, thanks to the beach security/lifeguard. They don't allow the towel game here and enforce it. There were some beach vendors but weren't horribly aggressive and moved on when you told them 'No gracias'. The water, as warned everywhere, is beautiful but not very swimmable due to the strong rip current and large waves. I made the mistake of going out in it one day and got knocked around pretty good. The lifeguard was there promptly ready to help me out, but I managed to get myself out before another wave knocked me on my butt. Heed the warnings of the red flag and the lifeguard if you get too close to the surf and he blows his whistle at you.

Summary

Aside from the few niggles and an upset GI tract, it was a very nice week in a beautiful hotel. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Check-out was relatively painless, though we were charged for something at Girasoles, which we never once went into. I didn't notice until after we left, and it wasn't a big enough charge to try to dispute here from home, so I let it go. We paid a discounted rate for the convention, and as such, our stay (aside from incidentals) did not count toward our Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints, and counted as 0 stays... which is a bummer, though no fault of the hotel, it is a stupid policy of Starwood. We spent over $2,000 Cdn. for the week just for our accommodations, and earned a whole 206 points on the few extras we were charged for. I would not have wanted to pay full rates for this hotel, however. For what we paid, we have stayed at much fancier hotels in the Mayan Riv with far less 'restrictions' on what we could eat/drink as well as room amenities, beach butlers, turn-down service and 24 hour room service included For this reason, we will likely not return.

Suggestion to Management and Staff

When catering to large convention groups, don't judge all guests in the group based on the behaviour of a few. Yes, there are people who go to these events, drink way too much, are loud, rude and obnoxious to the staff and don't care what kind of trouble they cause. But among those bad apples in the group are well-traveled people who are polite and courteous, and know how to behave in a resort. I really believe that we would have been treated differently had we not been part of 'the group'.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Chelle69
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review about your stay at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar on TripAdvisor.We take our guests' feedback into serious consideration, as we strive to be the best so we can provide our guests with a quality experience while in Los Cabos. I am deeply sorry for the poor service you experienced at De Cortez Restaurant. We will definitely speak to management about that. We would love if you shared your feedback with nadezda.dodonova@sheraton.com so we can work on the areas you feel we need improvement.

Once again thank you for your time, and we sincerely hope you will think of us again for your future visit to Los Cabos.
New Berlin, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Let me start off by stating the place is Absolutely gorgeous. The rooms and the view were great. Most of the staff was outstanding except for the unfriendly guy with glasses in the tequila bar.

Some of the strange things:
Swim up pool bar closed at 4 daily
Awesome poolside cabana closed at 6 daily. All on site bars closed by 11.

There were 4 buffets scattered throughout the resort that were pRt of the all inclusive but they all served the same thing at the same time.

Lots of sun but not as much fun as it could have been.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the nice views our resort has to offer. We look forward to hearing feedback from guests. Thank you for providing this information. Our staff works hard to accommodate our guests and through your feedback we will work on our guest services to provide you with an exceptional experience in the future.
Grapeview, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Really enjoyed the resort. Great room, very helpful staff. The reason for the poor review is because four of us had dinner the night before leaving. All of us are still suffering gastrointestinal problems. Have been to Mexico several times and never came home sick. I know there are risks, but would never expect any food borne problems from a resort of this caliber.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kingsman26
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf and Spa Resort here on TripAdvisor. We are extremely sorry to hear you and your party became ill during your visit with us. We encourage you to send details regarding this incident to nadezda.dodonova@sheraton.com so we can get to the bottom of what happened during your stay.

We deeply apologize once more for your inconveniences and we hope you all are feeling better.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

I recently visited Cabo San Lucas and stayed in a Penthouse at Cabo Del Sol that was a sister resort to the Sheraton. We were told upon booking that we could also use the Sheraton facilities. Since our community consists of home owners it does not offer dining. We decided to walk to the beach and over to the Sheraton Bar and Grill one evening for cocktails and a glass or two of wine. Upon our arrival we were ignored and finally had to ask if we could set at the bar and have a glass of wine and appetizers. The staff treated us like we did not belong to the hotel. Our wine pour was meek and the appetizers, for a hefty price, were bird size. The over all experience, service and unwelcome feeling we felt will always leave a bad taste in my mouth for this Restaurant.

Room Tip: Did not stay in this hotel and I can not tell you about the rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Tbdsss
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience with our staff. We are dedicated to providing all guests of our property with stellar service. We take your feedback into serious consideration. We recommend you send any additional feedback to nadezda.dodonova@sheraton.com.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#62 of 116 in Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,977 reviews
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#9 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!