“Not up to my expectations”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Not up to my expectations”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here three times over the past 10 years. This property has wonder grounds and a great location. There are some great rooms, however I stayed in a room next to elevator and the hotel has started to catering to large groups. We stayed a week, and there were two large (100+) groups. I felt like I was on a reward trip.

The hotel is showing it's age and the staff (restaurant) can use some training and improvement. The pool bar closes about 4:00. Really?

I also heard some complaints from the timeshare owners about change in management.

If this hotel fits your budget don't let this keep you from going, it is a nice property.

If you want a nicer place try the Esperanza. And if you stay at the Sheraton go eat dinner at the Esperanza.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael R
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We appreciate you returning to our resort several times over the last decade. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your most recent stay in regards to the large groups. We do sometimes host large groups for meetings or events, but we try not to have it affect our other guests. We strive to exceed the expectations of every single guest at the resort, and welcome guests to speak with the management team during their stay if there is something that they feel could be improved upon. We are glad you enjoyed the property and grounds and hope you will continue to stay with us during the next 10 years. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Greek first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed for two nights with my wife and 15 month old. They were kind enough to give us a ground room floor. The house keeping was great. The resort was really well kept. The bell man were really helpful. The pool is really nice and not overly busy no problems with towels sitting on chairs going unused all day.The beach is nice to walk or swim. The only negative thing in my mind was the cost of food and drinks there and the distance from downtown cabo you had either the option of a 20$ shuttle that picks up and drops off every 1.5 hours. or a 40$ round trip in a cab.

Room Tip: We stay in building 24 and it was quiet
1 Thank YYCjetsetter
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We are thrilled to hear that the staff took such good care of you and your family during your visit. We do apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced with the dining options or your travel into the nearby towns. We appreciate you choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, and hope you and your family will return soon!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The place was amazing. You don't even need the details from me. I booked it again for next year, shortly after I got back home. I have never done that before. Can't wait. (I heard we got really lucky with the beautiful weather in January. Next year going in March...)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shawnmlarsen
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa resort, Los Cabos. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful time, and cannot wait to welcome you back next year. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar!
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We absolutely love the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar. The property was beautiful. We had an oceanfront room which was perfect for us. We had our 2 almost 3 year old with us so we spent more time in the room in the evenings. We had the ground floor and were able to enjoy the terrace and the beautiful view.
We only ate breakfast at Girasoles, snacks by the pool, lunch at the beach and a couple of times we ate at Tomatoes for dinner and once at the sushi restaurant. Girasoles seemed to be the best choice for us for breakfast. Adults were 17.50 all you could eat off a menu with mimosa's & bloodys and $10 for kids. A little steep for a child considering he probably only ate a couple of bites each morning. The pool has a variety of snacks, sandwiches and drinks which we enjoyed. Each day you could enjoy a different happy hour cocktail they chose 2 for 1 by the main pool. There were happy hours all over the property you just had to figure out which ones were where. The sushi restaurant was good food and fresh just pretty boring atmosphere. It wouldn't take much to get more people in there. It seemed to be dead in there most of the time.

The pool was great for kids. The main pool that curves throughout the resort (I think it makes up the 4 of the 5 pools) was amazing! There was a shallow area and a little round pool off the end that the kids could play in that was shallow. Great for us because we could sit on our chairs right there and not worry every second while still enjoying the ocean views. There is a kid’s pool farther back in the resort by the timeshares that is very nice. We just didn’t want to be back there. If you do not have kids the pool stretches for a mile so you can stay away as well!

I emailed the hotel for transportation to & from the airport. They gave us a company called Jialen Transportation. $34 round trip for each adult. They did not charge us for the 2 year old. I thought we were going to be picked up by bus and it was an Escalade. It was great! They had my name on a sign when we arrived, we paid and we were off. They picked us up on time to bring us back. Great service. I highly recommend them.

We took the hotel shuttle into town many nights. It was $10 per person round trip. It should be free. If it’s not free then run it more often. It only goes every 90 minutes. We found it to be helpful but took cabs as well and that was $20 each way. It does deter me from wanting to stay out of the hotel area down on Madano beach.

Our only complaint about the place was we requested a refrigerator by email before we arrived and they said they couldn’t get us one. I asked when we arrived and same thing. When we checked out I told the front desk of my disappointment and she said they could have gotten me one?? Which is it? It would have been very helpful with a child to be able to refrigerate yogurt, milk, water etc...They have an old mini bar that is in your room that is empty that they said keeps things fresh. It was hot and did nothing. Just take them out if they do not work. I rather they had a cash mini fridge. At least we could have gotten some things that were cold.

All in all great place, it was kid friendly for us. Our child loved it as we did.

1 Thank LKCMinneapolis_MN
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the resort. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion you may have experienced during your visit regarding our in-room refrigerators. We are glad you were able to take advantage of the resorts many amenities, and that you and your family enjoyed lots of wonderful pool time. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, and we hope to see you again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We returned for the 18th year to our "home away from home".
It truly feels like coming home; the facilities are attractive and comfortable; the staff is very friendly and efficient; the grounds perfectly manicured and we are always made to feel important.
The reservations staff always makes sure we are taken care of; the housekeeping staff keeps our rooms clean and comfortable.
A variety of restaurants offer wonderful dining choices. The location on the white sandy beaches of the Sea of Cortez is truly a piece of heaven.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank biffie322
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Resort & Spa, Los Cabos on Trip Advisor. We love to hear that you keep coming back year after year, adn have even begun to think of the resort as home. We strive to create a memorable trip that exceeds the expectations of our guests, and are glad to hear that you have constantly been receiving exceptional service. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My family and I just returned from from a week at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and it far exceeded our expectations and made for one of the best vacations we've ever taken. This is one of the nicest properties I've ever stayed at and it was incredibly well maintained.

The location is perfect - right in the middle of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, situated on a long beach front where you could watch whales play in the Sea of Cortez, see amazing sunrises, and explore lots of tide pools that were home to sea urchins and crabs. The strength of the waves & undertow make the ocean inappropriate for swimming, but the 5 pools on site provide lots of spaces for the family to enjoy the water.

The staff was incredible - I really cannot say enough about them. Check in was quick and efficient (we also got upgraded due to SPG Platinum status), and the wait staff at the pool bar and at Tomatoes were all really pleasant and helpful. The only spot where we did not receive top-notch service was De Cortez. Frankly, the service, and the food, is better at Pitahayas anyway, so I would recommend going there for a nice dinner.

The quality of the food at Pitahayas was incredible, but pricey so we only went once. We ate most meals at Tomatoes because it was included as part of the SPG kids package (an incredibly deal I'd highly recommend if you have kids). The breakfast at Tomatoes was great, and dinner was pretty good, but with a limited menu it did get a little tired after a while. I'd recommend going with the nightly specials - lots of variety and good quality. As mentioned De Cortez was a little disappointing - it cost more than Pitahayas but none of us enjoyed dinner there as much.

The grounds and rooms are exceptionally well kept and make for an incredibly place to relax and unwind.

I've read some reviews about pushy timeshare salesmen. Frankly I did not see that at all. We were asked 3 times to go for the info session by 3 different people and they all respected our decision to turn them down. I also read bad reviews about service, and honestly I think those people must have stayed at a different resort or something. The service we got was exceptional.

I'd highly recommend the Sheraton Hacienda.

2 Thank Tony M
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Resort & Spa, Los Cabos. We appreciate you choosing us for your family vacation and are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy many of the resorts amenities, including the beach, pools and restaurants. We are glad your family enjoyed exploring the tide pools and that our staff was able to exceed your expectations to create a memorable vacation for you. Thank you again for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
St. Paul
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This resort is amazing!
We stayed a week in Cancun and flew across country to Cabo.. Very different atmospheres and Cabo won by a long shot.

-When we first checked in our room wasn't ready and we had lunch at Tomatoes Restaurant- upon sitting down immediately we saw whales breaching out in the ocean- something we didn't see at all in Cancun.
-We were located in one of the buildings that was in the back of the resort but it was quiet and perfect- we were on the top floor- with no elevators- wasn't a big deal to us though.
-There is 'happy hour' staggered throughout the day at each pool and on the beach- so we would pool/beach hop around the resort to get the 2 for 1s. There is a market onsite where you can buy alcohol too. We bought some in town too.
-We would wake up every morning for the sunrise and saw whales off the shoreline- so awesome.
-Work out facility was nice- busy at times. The spa has amazing products and lotions that I would 'test' everytime while leaving the gym- smelt like paradise! I bought a big bottle of the coconut lotion and I am almost out- better head back to get more!
-The hotel is located a little ways from town but we didn't mind- we went to town two days, but honestly the beach and pools at the hotel and the many different restaurants were perfect to just relax at.
-The breakfast in Tomatoes is great- all you can drink bloody/screw driver bar- came in handy before I was convinced to go zip lining!
-We were able to exchange US currency at the front desk as well which was great.

All in all this was one of my favorite trips and hotels ever! I hope to head back here maybe this year or next!
Only unpleasant occurance was at De Cortez restaurant- we went there 2 night and both times had terrible service. I wont hold this against the rating because all of the good in this hotel WAY out weigh that!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Gold & Spa Resort, Los Cabos on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear that you were able to enjoy so many of the amenities offered at the resort. We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have had, but are thrilled that, as you said, the positives are what you took away from your stay. We hope to see you again very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#62 of 116 in Los Cabos
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#9 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!