“Great resort hotel”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Great resort hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this SPG hotel with my GF for one week. Great hotel. We would definitely stay here.

Pros:
Large, clean rooms.
We'll maintained property with a very traditional Mexican look to it.
Pools were great and numerous.
Spectacular beach although you big waves made swimming a bit dicey.
Probably the best hotel gym I have ever used.

Cons: (not many)
Food was expensive, especially day time food while at the pool. But most of Cabo is pricey so not a huge surprise.
The hotel is a 10 min drive from Cano San Lucas so getting a rental car is helpful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mjmonume
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many of the property's amenities including the pools and onsite fitness center. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 20 August 2014

DON'T STAY HERE. I stayed here with a large group for a bachelorette party. We're actually a pretty calm group, but everything about this hotel was a disaster.

First the service was AWFUL, we had 4 people in a room, which we confirmed when we booked, and again when our leader arrived. Yet when we checked in around 12:45 in the morning suddenly the guy is telling us "only 2 per room". We said "really?" and he says "well maybe 3". What do you mean MAYBE 3? So then he offers no solution. We ask if we can book another room, and he tells us it will be $500 for the night. No way. Our maid of honor comes down and handles the situation, annoyed, but is able to "reinstate" one room we had booked and then cancelled. Tragedy averted... for now. Then every thing we asked them we got a "yes" but it was a lie. "Is this 5-6p wine tasting complimentary?" "yes maam" okay great.... 20 minutes later, here is your bill. Excuse me? Then we are at the pool and the man comes to tell us that there is a "pool party" at the other pool, all drinks are on sale for 80 pesos instead of 120. We go over there, order a drink, bill comes, 120 pesos each. I say to the bartender, the other guy sent us over here saying all drinks were 80 pesos, he says no, only 3 specific drinks. Another fail. Service at most of the restaurants was awful, we sat at breakfast for about 45 minutes before finally hailing down the waiter to take our order. At dinner they forgot one of our party's meal.

SECOND, it's far. You are basically held hostage by the hotel for food etc unless you want to take a cab into town. The cab is $20 for the first 4 people, then $6 per person for each additional person. That math doesn't even make sense. Also, it's a whopping 5 mile cab ride. how can they charge that much? So for the most part you're stuck with their awful service and overpriced food ($10 for a box of cereal?? and my options are cocoa krispies or frosted flakes? gee thanks)

THIRD, the walls and ceilings are paper thin. We had a first floor room and had what I assume was a toddler who had just learned how to run above us. This kid would run back and forth at 6am, it sounded like someone pounding on the ceiling. We could hear his toy making noise, people talking, toilets flushing, etc. When our neighbors phone rang it was so loud i thought our phone was ringing.

FOURTH, the beach sucks. This resort is on a section of beach that is VERY rough and rocky. It was a black flag the entire time we were there. Why go to mexico if you can't go in the ocean??

Stay at a resort in town, enjoy the nice beaches there, and be free to eat wherever you like.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ashley H
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We sincerely apologize for any confusion there might have been around the package that you booked, as well as any inconveniences you may have experienced throughout your stay at the resort. If you would like to further discuss the problems with the resort, please feel free to contact Angelina at angelina.garcia@sheraton.com. We hope that you enjoyed every other aspect of your stay with us. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar.
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I just returned from a 4-night stay at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. Sometimes I'm skeptical on basing decisions based on customer reviews good or bad, but I was not disappointed at all with this resort. The grounds are beautiful, room was clean and nicely maintained, the food and views were excellent. I guess August is off season in Cabo which was fine by us. The resort wasn't crowded and we got killer weather. The staff was friendly and the infinity pool was the place to be. Loved every minute of it and wish we could stay longer. Being a two hour direct flight from Southern CA, Cabo will be our go-to spot vacation spot and Sheraton Hacienda del Mar will be our resort of choice as long as our experience was as good as it was on this most recent trip.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nitramnik
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We are delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, as well as the many amenities the resort has to offer including the pools and onsite dining options. Here at the Sheraton, we strive to deliver both memorable and enjoyable customer experiences. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton, Los Cabos. We look forward to your return.
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just like any hotels, this one has good's and bad's. The hotel is pretty out dated, but well kept. It is not a luxury hotel, but it is good enough to satisfy some picky travelers like me. The hotel was pretty empty when we were there last week, so this definitely helped my 4 star rating. Plus, I got a package deal from Costco. For a Costco customer, I felt I was treated a little differently. No upgrade (paid) or any other options when checked in. You get what you paid for.

Room: average 4 star. The decor is pretty old and outdated. The room color is dark brown, so my room (3122) was dark and cave-like feeling. There is a huge balcony, which is unnecessary. They should have made the room bigger instead. the walls and ceiling are so thin that I could hear everything from my adjacent neighbors loud and clear. Bathroom amenities are good and water pressure is nice. Our A/C did not work occasionally, so I had to turn them on and off a few times to reset. Absolutely no view, but it was right in front of the pool so very convenient. You get what you paid. w/o the ocean view, the room has no character.

Swimming pool: 5 star. Great swimming pool with a lot of choices. One of the best things for this hotel. A lot of chairs and resting area, plenty of rooms all around. a huge main pool is a big plus. The water is too warm, but can't help it.

Restaurant: Poor 3 star. The weakest part of this hotel is the food. We tried all restaurants in the hotel, but none of them really impressed us. Breakfast at Tomato was average/or below average. There were no authentic mexican restaurant we wanted. Sports bar was OK. De Cortez did not meet our expectation. I was sick for 2 days after a course meal at De Cortez, so be careful. Price was definitely at higher side, but if you understand this is a remote resort, I think the price is reasonable. we had free breakfast deal, so it was good. If we had to pay for them, I would never go to Tomato for $30 breakfast. One important tip: we found the only reasonable restaurant near by is the one in the Del Sol golf course. Price was reasonable, food was great, and staffs were friendly. ask concierge folks for a shuttle to the restaurant. It takes only a few minutes to get there. 2 adults+2 kids witha lot of drinks came out to be ~$125-130 with tax and tips.

Staffs: 4 star. there were a few staffs whose main interest was tip. Some were very nice. Concierge ladies were super friendly. Check-in/out were above average. I asked for 1 hr late check out, and they were happy to do so.

Location: poor. out of no where. either you relax for your whole stay or rent a car to get out.

Internet: bad. I just don't understand the hotels charge for internet these days. $15 per day. why? Even in the lobby, they limit the usage for 30min with one device. why why why?

Other amenities: I liked the rental car facility in the hotel. I rented a car for one day for city tour and local restaurants. a lot better than taking taxi round trip for $50 or $60+tips. I rented a car for $60 for a whole day. parking and driving were easy in Cabos. I recommend renting a car, rather than highly priced taxi.

In summary, I think this hotel is definitely not a luxury facility. It is co-located with a time share property. However, this is a great family place with a reasonable price. As far as value goes, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank shoshosho
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed some of the amenities of the property, including the pools as well as the level of service you received from our staff. Here at the Sheraton we strive to deliver a standard of service that exceeds all of our guests' expectations. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton, Los Cabos. We look forward to your return.
Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed on this hotel for 5 days and we absolutely loved it. First of all, the staff are very accommodating and always willing to answer any questions and they are more than willing to help out. I travelled with two kids ages 2-5 and this hotel has enough pool to accommodate the kids' age. On the food side, I love the buffet breakfast in Tomatoes restaurant and the amazing views of the beach while enjoying your food.There's also a swim up bar that's only a couple steps from our room. The beach nearby is non swim able but you can relax on the sand and they have tons of lounge chair with umbrella. This place was not crowded during our stay and the infinity pool have an awesome view of the beach. The staff are always smiling and every time you'll ask for help, and after they helped you, they won't stand there like waiting for a tip. Many times, I have to chase them to give out tip because they absolutely deserved it. We are looking forward to stay again in this place the next time we will be in Cabo.

Stayed August 2014
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the resort, and were able to take advantage of our many amenities, including the pools and Tomates Restaurant. Additionally, we are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the level of service that you received from our staff. Here at the Sheraton, we strive to deliver a standard of service that exceeds all of our guests expectations. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 August 2014

While the staff was friendly and well-intentioned the property and service seemed to be under-managed. We had a number of negative experiences during our stay (Summer 2014), including: 1)Our room not being ready at the expected time; 2)we were initially assigned a room with an obstructed view of the ocean, which took about an hour for the staff to correct and assign us another room once we complained enough; 3)a leaking ceiling in both our hallway and bathroom due to poor AC maintenance (water all over the floor); 4)iguana feces in several areas around our villa, which went without cleaning during our entire stay; 5)a rollaway crib sitting outside of our door for several days until it was finally put away; 6) not being advised the beach was not swimable until we arrived. All these experiences left my family and me with an underwhelming experience at this beautiful resort. While the property itself is beautiful and the backdrop gorgeous, the lackluster customer service really disappointed us.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room and don't settle on the first room you are shown if the view is not r...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank joseferrel
Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

After staying at Casa Dorado and the Hilton, we came to the Sheraton (using SPG points) for our last 2 nights in Cabo. Although all 3 properties are "4 diamond", this was by far our least favorite. First, we were to get 2 connecting rooms, but they took us to rooms side by side- not connecting. When I called to ask, they said that is all they had for the next 3 days. One room had a huge cockroach in it. The in-room movies did not work the first night. The decor/rooms are dated and somewhat dirty (mold in the shower and around the tub). The beds were not as comfortable as the other hotels'. My husband and sons reported that breakfast was not good. Plus, we were in a room next to screaming children. The beach is beautiful, but there are no water sports/activities. Pools are great, as well as the pool service. Grounds are well manicured and my son did enjoy the resident iguana. But overall, we all agreed that we liked the other properties far better. And, considering the other hotels are comparable in cost, I can not recommend the Sheraton Hacienda. I would not stay here again- even using points.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Shackworth
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#61 of 115 in Los Cabos
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!