“Very good value”

Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, CA
“Very good value”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I was worried that since we had gotton such a good deal on the hotel that it may be for a negative reason. However, this is a deserved four star hotel with nice and clean grounds and good service overall. The food is expensive but above average in quality and taste. There are more luxurious hotels in cabos like Esperanza, Capella, and Las Ventanas, but at a much much higher cost (and very happening, as they are so exclusive). If money in no object, I would go to one of these places, otherwise, the Sheraton (and the Hilton) are your best value for the money.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank radiationmd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Greek first
Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Beautiful resort; lovely rooms; friendly staff. Pools could be warmer.Meals are too expensive. Shuttle service to LosCabos ...inexpensive way to get into town and the schedule has a great deal of options.If you go, take bathing suits etc and have the water taxi take you to Lover's Beach...they will return to pick you up at your specific time.I would return 100%.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ColleenOuellette
Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2010

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were beautiful, spacious and clean. There is a nice big jetted tub and tiles separate shower with a heavy glass door. There is a hair dryer and ironing board plus a safe in the closet. Each day you receive two packs of coffee and two bottles of water free when your room is cleaned.
There are 5 lap top computers off the main lobby for guest use, and in each 24 hour period you can log in for 30 min of free internet use. If you log in and only use 5 min, that is all you get until 24 hrs later. We often found though, that you could get on for free as others didn't use their full 30 min, and didn't log out.
We went Nov. 14-22, and saw whales almost everyday swimming out in the ocean. We also got to participate in a turtles release program right out on the beach.
There is a shuttle from the hotel to dt Cabo for $10 round trip. You can also rent a car from the lobby for $50/day + gas. We went to Costco and San Jose and it cost us $8 for gas.
We heard you can't swim in the ocean, but there lots of people swimming, so we ventured out and had a blast swimming in the waves. They do however get quite big, so you need to be strong incase you get caught in a big one, as I did.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank birkbee
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 October 2010

The view as you get to the property is beautiful and the property itself throughout is kept very well- maintained.

We had a top corner room of the villa. Nice view and very quiet. Although tranquility was a matter of luck - even though we had specifically asked for a room that was not near any potentially noisy groups, they placed us next to a large family with small children. You do have to contend with clacking if people choose to wear their shoes in the room as it's all tile. And you can hear the bathroom next door. I expect the TV is potentially a noise problem, depending on the neighbor, as we could hear a lot from our next door neighbor, who was pretty quiet.

Beds are their signature beds and very comfy. Most importantly, no bed bugs (we were concerned as there seemed to be a lot of New Yorkers leaving reviews and we checked immediately upon getting to the room.) If you're a light sleeper, you may need to unplug the internet set up otherwise you might feel like your ears are ringing all night.

The beach itself was almost always empty - and clean. However, due to surf and currents, it's pretty much impossible to swim. Great, however, if you want peaceful walks on the sand.

The food is not spectacular, but what you might expect from hotel chains, acceptable and pricey. Note: if you are interested in packages which include F&B credit, there are many restrictions as to which restaurants apply. Sheraton shares the property with a time share condo property, on which some of the restaurants are located, and they are not part of Sheraton's facilities.

Sushi restaurant: sushi could have been fresher. Variety also a bit limited. If you're a sushi purist, you'll be unhappy. Staff were too busy yapping with each other and watching a football game to be friendly to us, even though we were the only ones there at the time.

Most other staff were friendly, professional and courteous, except for staff at the check-in/out. We had one woman in particular who let out a loud sigh when we asked about the F&B credit. She seemed very unhappy to have to explain which facilities were off limits.

At check-out, same woman was rude when there was a problem with our card. She condescendingly and errantly told us that the only reason a bank declines a card is due to insufficient funds. Then she rolled her eyeballs! when we informed her of many other reasons. In any event she threw our 2nd card back at us after it ran through without any problems. I guess day after day of running through sums that one may never earn can get frustrating, but that is something Sheraton needs to train them to deal with. It isn't something travelers should have to deal with at the end of a vacation.

Regarding time share sales: you are directed at check-in to the time shares desk after you're checked-in. The rep there informs you of your option to sit through the pitch and offers you some goodies like your rental car for free or more F&B credit at restaurants that are not part of the Sheraton facilities. If you decline straight out, they're pretty laid back. If you say you have other appointments, they will ask if they can help re-arrange them if you're interested in the pitch. And then they don't bother you again for the remainder of the stay.

Location: as with many resorts in Cabo, you'll need a car if you want to go to town frequently. Otherwise, it will cost about $20 one way by cab.

All in all, it was an unremarkable stay, and you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of deluxe chain hotel room. However, we'll likely try another hotel if we go back to Cabo. Good place, but not outstanding and there are hundreds more in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wanderkinder
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I just came back from one week vacation in Los Cabos. Stayed in Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar the entire week with husband and 2 year old son. Coming from NYC, I was really impressed by their service and food. First, let me start with the hotel itself. As you can see from their pictures, the buildings are all spanish style with beautiful water fountains and landscape everywhere. The rooms are decent size but definitely need some renovation. We stayed at a junior suite which is a studio with a small kitchen. The oven and blender were broken when we arrived. They replaced the blender right away. I didn't need the oven anyway so didn't ask for replacement.

The restaurant on site Pitahaya was fantastic! Food was so good that we went back again and again. It was expensive though, dinner for 2 (no wine or alcohol drink) came out to be $160.

The pools and hot tubs were clean. You can always find an empty chair by the pool or beach and ask for the staff to bring you the umbrella. The beach is beautiful to look at, but not swimmable. The waves were too rough, I was knocked down by the wave several times and the water was only to my thigh.

I enjoyed their free internet daily (30 min everyday). I didn't need more than that, why should I sit behind a computer when there's so much more I could do. Last but not the least, I got sick after eating outside of the hotel. I call the front desk and they offered either free nurse visit or doctor for $100 to my room. I asked for a nurse, who arrived in my room in 20 min. She spoke to the doctor on the phone after seeing me and got me a prescription. Later on, she came to my room and gave me free samples and it saved me a trip to the pharmacy! What a nice nurse! I got several phone calls from the hotel later on checking on me, making sure I was feeling better.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank chrizNYC
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I'll start with the positives:

1. Remarkable hotel. The attention to detail (especially the landscaping) was incredible. Impeccibly clean and comfortable.
2. Great location. The taxi into town was inexpensive and the airport was only 30 minutes away.
3. Weather. This is out of their control of course, but the weather in October was just divine.

Now the bad:

1. Service. Where do I begin. Nearly every employee at the hotel should take a class on manners. It was often difficult to distinguish between the peddlers on the streets of Cabo and the employees. It seems they were always in your face for the benefit of the hotel. If you happen to need something, they were no where to be found.
2. Price. The room rate was reasonable. Everything else was a complete rip off. Don't eat or drink on site. You will get hosed.

Overall, I would give this place a 2.5. On the surface it appears to be a good value, but be prepared for sticker shock once you arrive. That being said, I would return to the hotel in the future. I'm guessing most hotels in Cabo are the same way. If I did return, I would simply spend less time at the hotel (especially at dinner). The best food at the best prices can be found off site.

I didn't golf or go to the spa...but I'm guessing they too were expensive.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank SoCalDoug
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 October 2010

We just came back from one week at The Sheraton Hacienda del Mar in Cabo San Lucas and were very disappointed with the package and treatment we received.
We had booked our flight and Hotel package through Orbitz and decided to upgrade to an Ocean view Room (I requested a King Bed) and we also upgraded to the all inclusive package.
I contacted the Hotel before we left to give them my Starwood Preferred Guest Number and to reconfirm a King Bed.
When we arrived at the hotel around 4pm we asked to see our room, it had two double beds and a "partial ocean view" across some rooftops and palm trees. We went back to reception and asked for an Ocean view room with a King size bed per our request. The next room we were shown had the king bed but was dark and dingy and you could barely see the ocean through the blocking palm trees. Back at reception again we were told those were the only two rooms in our category and that if we wanted a real ocean view we would have to upgrade to ocean front room for an extra $50 per night, I asked if my SPG Card conferred any privileges and was told no. We then toured three different rooms to find a nice room (Rm 2004) with an unobstructed ocean view and a King bed. In my mind this was what I had already paid for ! We agreed to fork out the extra $350 for seven nights.
Room 2004 is a corner room with a balcony in front and a terrace on one side so it does have fantastic views however we had to keep our drapes shut at all times because the Air Conditioning could not cool the room below 72 Degrees. The hotel made one attempt to fix the AC and then said we would have to move rooms if we didn't like it, what a waste of $350.00. Most public area's except the lobby also lack AC (or it is turned off for savings) and in the humid heat of October we found it miserable.
I had brought a phone card with me only to discover that to call the 800 access number would cost me $4 per call !
The staff were mostly nice, the all inclusive plan worked OK except the best restaurant was not available for two of the nights because of weddings, however for the price we paid it did not live up to it's 4 star designation and we felt we were victims of the classic "bait and switch". Next time it's back to the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kieran57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#61 of 116 in Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,993 reviews
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!