“Good for $72 USD per night!”

Hotel Quinta Del Sol
Ranked #37 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Getting here is the first challenge, you have to get through the airport filled with mean spirited aggressive time share sales people who try to trick you into riding with them. Ignore them and walk straight outside until you see a line of shuttle busses and go directly to them, they go to whatever hotel you want and it costs $15 per person, they like US Dollars, and you can pay cash. No need to book a shuttle ahead of time, there are loads of them waiting outside as long as there are flights.
First let me say, the whole town of Cabo has a sewer problem so you can smell sewage depending on which way the wind is blowing, but that is all over unless you get up high on a hill . Next time we come we will stay in San Jose, however, we booked with Easy Click Travel and it was nearly $10 per night less expensive (Searched Kayak to find lowest price). You do not get the choice of beds, the ONLY rooms they have are two double beds in each room. We wanted a queen or king bed, but found out it was not an option.
The rooms are very clean and spacious. You can ask for a dish pack at the desk and walk about 15 minutes over to Walmart (on the main highway heading back toward the airport) and get groceries. Beware of the time share sales people at Walmart, they act like they want to help you find things and really just want to be pushy sales people. (The cab ride back to the hotel was $5) So, you can cook in your room and the maid service does a nice job cleaning the room, changing sheets each day even.
The pool is open to the parking lot so not much privacy. The walls are paper thin, and it is very noisy, you can hear every word the neighbors say and their TV. There are about 5 channels that have English on them, but they are old sitcoms, and some movies and CNN and the BBC news. The Internet (wireless) works pretty well from our room, but our friends have struggled the whole time.
The time share push extended all the way to our hotel, there was some guy in the office named Victor, we thought it was the manager, and finally figured out he was a time share sales guy, and this guy is persistant. It is annoying, the girls at the desk assisted him in his pushiness. Everywhere we went in Cabo people were pushing us to come and eat in their restaurant, or come in to their shop to buy something, it is exhausting! If we come again we will most definately stay in San Jose where it is more laid back, no late night hoopla partying and no aggressive sales people.
For the younger people who want to party, it is 4 long blocks to the Marina where all the hoopla takes place. This hotel is a great place for the money, We rented a car for three days, it cost us $175 for three days, the insurance was $100 of that! Parking and security at this hotel are really good. It all goes back to what you are paying, this is no luxury hotel, it is great for people on a budget, you take the good with the bad, and for what you pay, this is a good value.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlaskaCouple2008

Reviewed 11 February 2010

I've been there 2 nights, the price is good respect what you can find in other Los Cabos hotels, it's perfect if you're looking for a clean and budget place to sleep, for example if you have a car and you want to spend your day visiting the area.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank KeTraveler
Reviewed 28 December 2009

It's not a Best Western anymore. It's about two blocks from the public beach (one way) and hotel row (the other way). The walk to town takes about 10 minutes - easy-peasy. We wandered all over the place and found GREAT food, usually on a side street and not the main drag. Pull up a beach chair in front of a bar and either rent it for 50 pesos a day (about $5) or buy a beverage and stay as long as you want. They'll wait on you hand and foot. There are lots of beach vendors (this was my first time to Mexico, so pardon my naivete) selling just about everything - cigars, wind chimes, silver, hair-braiding, blankets, hats, you name it. You get used to saying, "No, gracias." Everyone is bilingual, but I practice my Spanish nonetheless. (Me gusto much espanol.) We were there at Christmas and the guards at the hotel sang Christmas carols and there were decorations on the palm trees. Everyone is soooo friendly and every single kid is adorable. We really liked La Panga for a fancy dinner, El Pollo de Oro and La Mariscus (i think) for more affordable food. El Pollo was on a side street close to the marina; the seafood one (La Mariscus or whatever) was only a couple blocks from the motel. Oh, and the pool at the motel is spotless! It's a very affordable, nice place to stay. The breakfast is small pastries (I had a chocolate croissant with sugar on it one day, a queso croissant the next), fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), toast, cereal, milk, OJ, coffee.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jt1237
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Quinta Del Sol was the perfect place for our family and friends. I will start by saying the staff was very helpful, friendly, and spoke good english. The rooms were big in my opinion, very clean, frig in the room, a small double cook top if you choose to use it, and the shower was freaking awesome!!!!! I usually base my rankings of a hotel by the shower, 5 star in my book!!!!! The shower head was big and up high so it didn't hit me in the stomach and the water pressure was GREAT!! The location was good, it's about a 10-20 minute walk to Madono beach and downtown pending on how fast you walk. In hinesight we should have rented a van for the week. Walmart is up the road about a half mile. The continental breakfast was very good, fresh baked pastries everyday. The pool was nice, clean and a good size for kids. Also, there is a convienient store in front of the hotel that sells beer, pop, water, booze etc...asprin!!!! The reason this hotel doesn't get a higher star rating is because of it's distance from the beach and town. You can take a white bus from the hotel to downtown for 7 pesos. If you are looking for an inexpensive, clean hotel with english speaking staff, Quinta Del Sol, Cabo is the perfect place.
Wade, Idaho Falls, ID

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mythots
Reviewed 22 December 2006

First, the good: The staff was friendly, 24-hour security that notified me when I parked my car with lights on at 1 am, cheap price, clean rooms. Kitchenette, onsite convenience store (think AM/PM mini-mart). Free continental breakfast, if that's important to you.

Now the bad: The hotel is situated a few miles from the main action in Cabo, as other reviewers have noted. You can rent a car (I did), but drivers down there are more aggressive. Be prepared to deal with it. As for walking to the beach, it's about 10-15 minutes to Playa Medano. However, when it's 90^F and humid, those 10 minutes feel like an eternity. Also, it smelled awful outside our room - I think the trash in the adjacent empty lot stinks up at night, and it is really gross. And inside the room, the traffic noise is loud if you open the windows. Best to keep them closed. Oh yeah, the swimming pool is small, and I counted a total of 2 garden chairs that were shaded during the afternoon. Not practical for sunbathing.

Overall, I'd recommend that you just splurge on a nicer hotel downtown if you can afford it.

• Stayed: November 2006
4  Thank rizdak
Reviewed 13 October 2006

I booked this hotel based purely on price, and it having had some OK reviews. Last time I went to CSL, I stayed at the Finisterra which, including airfare, was ~$950- for 5 nights. I wanted to stay twice as long this time, so for 10 nights incl. airfare, expedia's package with this hotel was ~$1150-. An extra $200- for twice as long; seemed a perfect fit.

The only reason I give an overall "neutral" rating as opposed to a higher rating is due to the location, and the fact that it's somewhat noisy (more on this later); otherwise it's perfectly fine.

This place has been around for a while, but about a year ago it was bought by Best Western and extensively refurbished. It's pretty much still in near-new condition all-around, and the staff are always at work keeping it clean and tidy.

As far as location goes, I felt like the info on the hotel's info pages was a bit misleading. It's farthur from Playa Medano, and Centro CSL, than the impression I had gotten. It's a somewhat lengthy walk to the beginning of central CSL (ie: Puerto Paraiso mall), down a hot, dusty and uneven sidewalk. I'd say approx. 10 blocks.

To Playa Medano, it's a bit closer, but looking at a map it seems closer still - probably because there are fewer cross-streets so it "seems" like 3 or 4 blocks but it's more like 8.

If you are not prepared to take a long hot walk each day to, and from, town, then you're relegated to renting a car (which, at this hotel, would be easy - plenty of free parking and the lot is patrolled by security), or taking a taxi to/from town (about $6- each way), or hopping one of the local busses (60 cents).

Most days I walked to/from my destinations, but I did take a taxi back 3 or 4 times - too much sun, walking, beer, food; I just wasn't up for it all the time. Especially when I first arrived and had not yet acclimated myself to the heat (~95f) and humidity (~75%). I admit to thinking about checking out after the first couple days, into a place closer in town, but figured I'd make the best of it and see how things played out. By the end of my stay (10 days), it wasn't so bad afterall.

The hotel is situated across the street from the bullfight ring, about as far out as you can get before you're almost in the corridor. On the way into CSL, the "Welcome to Cabo San Lucas" sign is right by the hotel, so that gives you an idea that even the locals consider this hotel to be on the "edge" of town.
It's the location that makes this place more affordable, however.

There is still a trash-strewn empty lot next door, but with all the construction going on in CSL, it probably won't be that way forever. There is also a large, trash-strewn empty lot across the street where it seems construction was started, but halted, some time ago (tend to see a fair number of these aborted projects all around the area).

The location is probably very good for someone who will rent a car and wants to be based in CSL but doesn't necessarily need to be in the center, and for those who don't require a full-service hotel or any amenities on-site.

As for the hotel itself, there are two, 2-story wings with ample parking in the center. The pool is clean, kept at a good temperature, though a bit small-ish, with about 1/3 of the pool taken up with a shallow end (ie: where you can place your lounge chair in the water). It is indeed shaded for part of the day by the hotel buildings themselves.

Security seems tight - always one or two security people around, manning the parking lot gate and/or just making the rounds.

The room was average-sized and about what I had expected. Two double beds, dinette with seating for 4, spacious closet (for my needs), small bathroom (probably due to the large tub/shower combo), TV with ~65 satellite channels of mostly Spanish-language programming (though they do carry CNN Worldwide and BBC in English, and a lot of programs are sub-titled so there's always something to watch, if you feel the need). The kitchenette was a nice touch, with mini-fridge, two cooktops, sink, coffee maker and free coffee, and enough plates & flatware for 4 persons. Two pans and a few other accessories - you won't be whipping up a 4-course meal here but certainly enough to get by.

Two free bottles of water everyday; at some point they began leaving three bottles - one extra by the coffee maker, presumably so you could use it, instead of tap water, to make your brew.

No shared internet (I thought I'd read someplace it was available in the lobby), but the front desk staff says it's available in all the rooms if you have a laptop (there were plenty of electrical outlets and a CAT5 jack).

There was always a good amount of water on the floor after a shower - I couldn't find the source and no amount of making sure the shower door remained closed would remedy it - presumably there was a leak in the seal between the enclosure and tile surrounds, or maybe it was coming up through the floor drain; nonetheless it was always puddled in the bathroom and running out into the rest of the room. Not sure why they haven't fixed this, as it's a pretty obvious problem. Room 309, in case you want to avoid it.

The only real issue was the noise... There can't have been any insulation whatsoever between the rooms. Having tile floors, I could quite clearly hear every footstep of my upstairs neighbors, as well as when they would drag the wooden chairs around. I could also clearly hear TV sets and people talking, above and to the side. Not shouting - talking in a normal tone of voice, and yet I could hear them.
In addition, the hotel staff starts cleaning around 8am, wet-sweeping the tiled hallway outside, dragging the maid carts around, and yelling at each other across the parking lot from building to building. If you want to sleep in, unless you're in a zonk-out from drinking the night before, the daily activity will wake you up as soon as it gets close to your room (for me, it was typically 8am).
Occasionally one can hear street traffic as well, especially the semi-trucks that like to use their engine brakes (that loud "braaaaap!" noise you sometimes hear them make) at the large intersection next door.

I liked the in-room safe, but wish they had the kind where you program your own code, instead of having a key; thus the need to carry a key with you everyplace, instead of a number in your head.

I never used to avail myself of free continental breakfasts, but here it's almost necessary, since other food options are limited. There is a mini-mart on-site, with a pretty limited selection of foodstuffs, but plenty by way of beer/soda/etc to drink. In any event, the breakfast is available 7am to 11am (though I think 7.30 is more likely when they're stocking it), and features a variety of fruits, baked goods, juices, spreads (for bread/toast), coffee and tea. I'm a convert - it's a good way to get something in you before making the long trek into town.

The hotel was pretty empty my entire stay; the first few days seemed like there were more people working than staying there, as they do seemingly have a large staff of maids, maintenence workers, security folks, and other employees. The clientele during my stay seemingly consisted of an equal number of foreign tourists and Mexicans on holiday.

Getting there:
I hadn't made plans for getting from the SJD airport to the hotel - figured I'd wing it. Ended up taking the SuburCabos/Los Cabos Express bus for $13-. This bus departs twice a day, I am told, and you don't need a reservation (unless you happen to arrive when a throng of others do). They will stop at pretty much any hotel or location on the way to, or in, CSL, for the $13- flat-rate.
Look for the bus itself, as well as someone in a yellow shirt - you might get lucky and have Alejandro as your host. On the way to town, the bus stops at Ultramarinos El Mono, so you can stock up on cold beer, soda, water and whatnot. I'm guessing Alejandro gets a kick-back from this, but maybe not. You'll also get the run-down of various events happening during your stay, as well as ideas for things to do. The bus company is apparently now owned by the Marriott hotel chain, and you'll also get a short and no-pressure pitch to tour the new Westin Regina, which by all accounts is a pretty top-end place to stay. If you take them up on their offer for the free breakfast and tour, you'll get a voucher for some free activity, ie: snorkeling trip, booze cruise, ATV excursion, or a number of other things to choose from.
Of course, there are other busses, shuttles, taxis, rental cars etc; it's no problem.

Getting around:
Lots of walking, unless you rent a car or take taxis/busses. To central CSL, just start walking down the main drag and soon enough you'll be at the marina. To get to Playa Medano, start in the same direction, but cross the street and take a left at the signs for City Club/Playa Pescado. Down a dirt road, over a hill, and it appears in front of you.

If you want to spend a day in San Jose del Cabo, the regular bus runs about every 15 minutes, most of which have AC, and costs approx. $2- each way. They run 5am to 11pm, though I wouldn't risk missing the last one, in which case you'll pay about $35 or $40 for a taxi back to CSL.

In CSL, you can negotiate for a short trip via BiciTaxi (bicycle-powered taxi with room for up to 4 passengers). Pretty much only see these guys on the main drag...

Getting back to SJD airport:
The front desk can arrange a shuttle for $17- per person; this turned out to be just a standard taxi-van. So on a good run, the driver will have made out pretty well, but if there are only a few people (there were 3, including me, on my trip), he's only doing about as well as with one passenger. The shuttle leaves at 9.30am, 11.30am, 1.30pm...probably other times as well. It was direct - they didn't stop at any other hotels to pick up passengers, so the trip back was the expected approx. 45 minutes.

I'll likely write up a more overall experience of this trip, at a later date. Hope this info is of help to someone.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
22  Thank dljpdx
Reviewed 4 August 2006

The Bestwestern Quinta Del Sol is a small hotel with 2 rows of 2-story buildings facing the only parking lot. One end of parking lot is a tall wall and the other end has 24-hr security checking cars in/out. No fancy lounge/reception lobby. Hotel employees are very nice. Hotel room is very clean like new. Hot water is not very hot probably because it's summer (end of July 2006). Both wired and wireless Internet were not working. There were some sewer smell at the parking lot. Location is next to a highway. A bit noisy but not very loud. Close to downtown.

Overall, we are satisfied with the quality especially the rate $80/night with 4th night free. Now the fun part. Getting out of Mexican Custom at San Jose de Cabo airport without being tricked by the tour solicitors "inside" the Custom building was our luck. The tour solicitors are right next to the Custom check point X-ray machine. They wear same uniform and badges look just like officials. As soon as you clear the X-ray machine, they swamp on you and keep asking for "voucher" which is the tour package slip, if you book the airline/hotel combo package, the airline gave you for meeting the hotel contact. They are intimidating and threaten to call the officials if you don't give them the vouchers. "Don't talk to them" is the key. Aparently, these people paid to be inside the Custom Building because there were more of them clogging the exit door outside.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family