“Great Rooms - Service Beyond Terrible”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We went to VDA with a bunch of families. Thankfully, we did not choose the ALL-INCLUSIVE package. The food was terrible, the waiters were nowhere to be found and that's not good when you are trying to soak up lots of free booze to justify the enormous expense. Considering, I was not all-inclusive, you think the waiters would've given me extra attention as I had to purchase each item. The rooms are great, the pools are spectacular for kids, the view of Medano Beach and Lands End are second to none. All in all, not worth it. And please, do not buy into their timeshare for the ridiculous cost that it is.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,806)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

It was my second time there using the all-inclusive option and had an absolutely amazing time! The staff are so friendly and bend over backwards to be helpful and courteous. The spa was the best spa I have ever been in!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked a 2 BR in August 2013 for a special family trip in April 2014. Im a Villa Group VPA owner and was a first time visitor to this property. No greeting as we pulled up, quite a bit of a wait even for a bellman to approach our car. A poor start to the visit to a place I believed we would be welcomed ' home' . Very disappointed in the room location and poor check-in clerk attitude. The prepurchased Villa Signature Service, which was meant to guarantee pool, spa and unit cleaning and amenities was spotty but improved later in the week after meeting with the supervisor. Pool food service remained spotty all week. One night I found the groundsmen/security staring up at our balcony, scowling and pointing at something. When I asked what the problem was, neither man could speak English. The angry one barked ' come with me ' and marched me to the front desk for translation - turns out my balcony decorations were not in compliance and I was told to take them down. No tact, no apology. The Desert Spa services were okay, the facilities were very nice. I booked excursions and rental car through contacts from TripAdvisor. The 'concierge service' also had staff that could not communicate well in English. Location on Medano Beach was great; the grounds were kept well; the security staff beachfront were nicer and more helpful than most other staff at the hotel. Went to one activity at the sister hotel Palmar - a way-overbooked Mexican Fiesta which did not impress. Bell staff did bring valeted car around promptly when we had plans away from the hotel. The shopping arcade at the Palmar property, reached by a trolley shuttle that ran continuously, was fairly large and had good deli food at fair prices. Overall I would love to visit the area again, but I'm not at all certain I would return to a Villa Group property in Cabo.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had a great experience staying at Villa Del Arco. As soon as we arrived Vicky helped us get checked in & we were in our suite unpacking within 15 minutes. The rooms are beautiful, spacious, & clean. The pool was wonderful; our boys loved it! The only pool issue is that people put towels down on the chairs early in the morning & don't return for hours, so it can be difficult to find them, especially if you want several chairs together. Ask an attendant & they'll do their best to help you find some. The ocean is only yards away from the pool & it's the best location on Medano Beach. Expect to be offered things to buy any time you walk on the beach. There's a free trolley that will take you back & forth to Villa del Palmar where they have a little market, arcade, ice cream parlor, etc. You can also use the pool there, but we found the Arco pools to be much nicer. If you do the timeshare presentation expect a couple of hours. We were initially told 60 mins, then 90 mins, but it ended up taking 2 1/2 hours. They were friendly & we didn't feel too pressured. They'll give you a lot to drink & a big breakfast! The Desert Spa was amazing! I've been to many spas & this is by far the best! Isabel was my masseus & she was fabulous! If you book a massage, go early & use all the other amenities, they're wonderful! "Tabasco's" restaurant is 200 yards down the beach from the resort & they had THE BEST fish tacos! The Food at Villa del Arco was okay, but there are lots of great places with fresh seafood along the marina. "Pocho's" on the Marina is really, really good! It's a 15 minute walk to downtown & the Marina. Not bad, but we mostly took taxis for $10. "Rogers glass bottom boat tours" was the best! They were awesome & went above & beyond. Overall, we found Villa del Arco to be perfect! We had an issue with our suitcase; it was put into the wrong cab when we were leaving & they bent over backwards to help us. They tracked it down & had it waiting for us at the airport as soon as we arrived. We'll definitely go back & I'd highly recommend it to anyone whos going to Cabo! It's the best location there!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Shar92674
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from our 4 night, 5 day stay at Villa del Arco. We had an amazing time. This has to be the cleanest, most well kept property we have ever stayed at. The location is perfect. Not a far walk or taxi ride to town and it's located on a swimmable beach. We went for the all inclusive package which was perfect! We never had a bad meal and always had a view of the water at each meal. The drinks were pretty darn good for an all inclusive hotel. The only complaint I have was that breakfast is a bit crowded due to all the time share sales pitches. We didn't participate, but they give the people a free breakfast for listening to their pitch and it was the same restaurant we ate at each morning. Except the last mooring we ordered room service which was also included with the all inclusive package. They even have a full gym that I used 3 of the mornings we were there. It was the cleanest gym I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of gyms.
Other than that, the staff was excellent, the food and drinks were great, the room was outstanding and our view was spectacular!

Room Tip: We had a room that was on the North side of the hotel. Our extra large balcony got the late afterno...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle E
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I just returned from a vacation at Villa Del Arco and it was a great time. It was just what I needed to get away from the brutal, long winter. Here's what you need to know:

1) The airport - If you have a transfer already arranged do not stop once you have completed customs. There will be several people in the airport feigning interest in helping you get to your transportation but all they are really doing is stalling while they attempt to sell you on a time share tour. We were passed from person to person as they lied and said they were checking lists for our transfer. The correct person with the actual list was outside of the airport. Avoid this at all costs unless you're very interested in being harassed for a timeshare tour.

2) You do not need the all inclusive. There are lots of great places to eat that are very easy to go to near the hotel. If you only plan on being at the hotel then this might be a good option but we preferred exploring downtown and the prices are very inexpensive.

3) We didn't have any issues with declining the time share tour at the hotel. I was a little nervous by some of the other reviews but we were not bombarded. I must say that they are very persistent and do ask frequently. I noticed a constant flow of these tours during breakfast and as a relaxed by the pool.

4) The spa is a must! It is a beautiful spa that was very relaxing. I had an amazing hot stone massage. The price was also very reasonable.

5) The Arch - Water taxis are all over the beach to take you to lover's beach. For 10-15 per person (each way).

Check in was a breeze. The grounds of the hotel are very well kept, it was immaculate. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. The pool was great and I would highly recommend this hotel. As others have said there is not a lot going on here at night but it is so close to the nightlife that it won't matter if that is what you are looking for. I just wanted to relax so it was perfect for my needs.

1  Thank azure5707
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just came back from Villa Del Arco for the 1st time. My wife and two teenage kids were there for spring break. The grounds and hotel room were top notch. Very very clean. Awesome views from every room we were in. Checked in on Sat and We had a studio for two days and were then upgraded to a 1 bedroom on Monday after the large crowds left. Had several issues with the wait staff on several different occasions. Had dinner reservations for 8 at 8pm at the sushi restaurant. Did not get served appetizers until 10:40pm. U kiddin me???? The restaurant was only half full at best. There was no excuse for this. We didn't eat dinner until 11:30pm for an 8pm reservation. We were with another family and had a total of 5 kids with us. They gave up and we let them go get ice cream.
The other issue was when we switched rooms. We had our sales presentation scheduled for 11am. Was told at 10:45am that we got our upgrade and we needed to pack and move immediately or lose the upgrade, Needless to say my wife ran frantically and packed us while I stalled the concierge. She was done and back by 11:15 and I got major attitude from her. Bottom line it's ok when you have to wait for them but not ok when they have to wait for you.
Other issues included poor waiters around the pool. We had a couple of good ones but had two really bad ones even though we were tipping them every other round.
We ventured out several times for dinner to La Ricazon down the street. Awesome food at great prices.
We also went whale watching, sunset cruise, atv's, zip lined, and took jet skis out several days.
Overall a very beautiful area but I would not go back there for another 5-10 years. Or at least to that resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family