“Villa Del Arco is good value/”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 December 2008

We stayed 5 nights at the Villa Del Arco as paying guests, non inclusive during the first week of December. The resort looks huge when you first arrive but it is 3 resorts joined together. The Lobby was gorgeous and very inviting, with huge bouquets of fresh flowers. Check in was quick and efficient, but they did direct us to the inevitable concierge who was very helpful in orientating us to the resort and answered alot of questions about transportation options. Before we knew it we were marked down to attend a time share presentation the next morning. Smooth. We decided later not to go and forfeited 200 pesos table reservation deposit required for the "free breakfast."
Our deluxe room had just a mini bar fridge and 2-burner stove. The room was quite big, tiled throughout and a decent balcony overlooking the garden and pool. The king bed was firm but comfortable, pillows were plump and there were extras in the closet. The bathroom was quite large with a tub and shower.
When we opened up the door to the TV cabinet, it fell off the hinge. When I closed the drapes later that evening the pull rod came right off. When we went to bed we were disturbed by the constant whooshing noise of the mini fridge. The only way to disquise it was to turn the AC on. Other than those minor things the suite was very comfortable.
The hotel grounds were lovely and very well maintained. Alot of staff were around cleaning and sweeping. The pool was two levels with 2 hot tubs and a kids section. The pirate ship restaurant "Buccanero" was a nice feature. The Japanese and Mediterranean restaurants were adjacent to the pool and lounge with wonderful views of Land's End and Cabo. The beach was easy to get to with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. At the seashore the waves were somewhat intimidating and there was a quick drop off. Red flags were up but a few people were swimming anyway. Beach vendors trudged by with their wares but they were not too intrusive.
The hotel is about a mile away from the center of Cabo San Lucas and it's easy to catch a "Collectivo," a small white school bus that will take you to Walmart and onward into town for 7 pesos, about 70 cents.
I was very comfortable at this resort with its easy access and convenient lay out. I dislike alot of walking. Guests can freely enjoy the ammenities of the other 2 Villas. There's even a San Fransisco-style trolley that drops you off at their mini market near the Villa Del Palmar.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nessnut
fun2talk2u2, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2008

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.
We have truly enjoyed your stay at Villa del Arco but have also fixed these little things that make the difference even while on vacation.
Once again thanks for the input as it's higly appreciated.
Wishing you good health and Season Greetings.
May year 2009 bring for all of us lots of prosperity and happy moments.
Cordially,
Jean Louis

Write a ReviewReviews (2,858)

Reviewed 9 December 2008

My husband and I have travel frequently and this was by far the worst all inclusive experience we have ever had. The hotel is over priced and the service is terrible. Every time you sit down to eat, you have to wait at least one hour - there is no such thing as a quick snack. There are only two restaurants to choose from for dinner, and if the main restaurant is closed for a private function (which it was on two nights of our six night stay), you are stuck eating at the sushi bar (not good).

The staff and management do not accomodate at all. For instance, you cannot pull up and extra chair to your table without someone freaking out. It is quite bizarre.

There is no swimup bar at the pool. There is no food served after 10pm. Room service is not included in the all inclusive and neither is most seafood.

I could go on about how much I disliked the resort, but I think the message is clear - if you are looking for a true all inclusive five star experience - don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2008
3  Thank Nino84
Reviewed 9 December 2008

staff speak minimal english
not willing to explain your bill, keep saying pesos only
overcharge bills without explaining
fraudulent charges on my visa without my signature

i had a wedding group of 52 middle aged individuals who came to party and everyday i, the bride was harassed about noise level at 930 pm. the night of my reception i was told that i would be kicked out of the hotel. i had the reception at their hotel restaurant that i had paid for! the security tried to kick me out the night before my wedding also for other families noise levels because they kept mixing the room numbers up. worst wedding place ever.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank travelersomakk
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Recently, my husband and I decided we needed to get away! So we booked a quick trip to Cabo San Lucas. Neither one of us had ever been there before, I used a combination of this site(which I love) and Expedia to figure out the best place to stay. I chose the Villa Del Arco. What a marvelous choice! Never, in all the places that I have gone, have I felt so immediately welcomed, almost as part of the family. From the moment we arrived, until we left everyone, and i do mean everyone, went out of their way to make sure we were happy.
The only problem I had was my key card kept not working, so I would have to go back to the front desk to get a new one, Fransisco, who also checked us in and out, was never impatient with me. He laughed and made me another new key every time.
The whole concierge staff, from Luisa, DJ, Rosella and Nicky were marvelous. We had lots of questions, being that it was our first time there. Margarita in guest entertainment was also wonderful, as were the great people in the restaurant.
As you can see, I loved my stay at the Villa Del Arco. I wish I could go back tomorrow!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank soledadseattle
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My first trip to Villa del Arco was a 9 day company trip in the Spring. I fell in love with the pristine grounds, amazing pools, exceptional service, pirate ship bar and delicious restaurants. I couldn't help but come back in the fall with a close group of friends and was not in the least bit disappointed - except when it was time to go home.
TripAdvisor calling this a 3 star resort is terribly underrating the experience. The staff and nearly brand-new facilities make this a first class destination from start to finish. I've stayed now in the deluxe, one bedroom, and two bedroom suites and am enamored. Magnificent ocean views, exceptional construction down to seemless granite floors - all top notch. Poolside service from El Bucanero is excellent - staff is always at your beck and call. The water is warm, the guacamole is delicious, the mojitos are refreshing - there's never a need to leave the water, except to run down to the beach and dive in the ocean. One of the great benefits of Villa del Arco is its sister resort next door, Villa del Palmar. I recommend staying in Villa del Arco for it's wonderful rooms, staff, facilities and food. Relax poolside, soak up the sun, play games with friends (they have plenty to borrow at the towel hut) - and if you're young and want to party even more just stroll down the beach or hop on the trolley to Villa del Palmar. They have an embarrasingly fun killer whale waterslide, a grotto hottub, and a bit higher energy atmosphere with pool games, contests, bartending classes and more. Or stay at del Arco, grab a few buckets of beer, and hop in the hottub in the back of the pirate ship!
The restaurants at del Arco - La Perla, El Bucanero, and El Faro are delicious delights. Sushi at El Faro, in cozy chairs overlooking the beach, is as high quality as the best in Seattle (we love our fish!). La Perla doesn't disappoint with its breakfast buffet and omelette bar. El Bucanero offers tables, pirate ship seating, or anything on their menu brought to you in the pool. And of course, all the wait staff is attentive, knowledgeable and ready with recommendations for all the dishes and drinks.
What I like more than anything at del Arco is the feeling of being welcomed into the home and country of the staff. The management - Bernardo Marin, Jean Louis - are seen around the grounds regularly, always with a warm smile and willingness to help with any request - you may find a treat when you return to your room just for stopping to say hello! Emmanuel 'Manny' who runs much of the entertainment activities is great - whether he's hosting a beach party, luring you into poolside games, or you run into him in town, he's always friendly and taking your vacation to the next level. Jose Louis, Erberto - I wish I could remember all the names of the staff that exceeded our expectations and made our stay fantastic. Many of them saw us downtown in Cabo and recognized us before we even noticed them, welcoming us to share a drink or offer advice on restaurants and nightlife.
I can't think of many negatives to temper my extremely positive view of del Arco. I wish that the pools and hottubs could be open much later to respectful guests, though I completely understand wanting quiet time for sleeping families and the difficulty of keeping drunken revelry under wraps! We solved that problem by a quick jaunt to the ocean and never worried about it again. Aside from that, in my 20-some days at the resort I can't think of any time I was unsatisfied.
Travelling the world is my passion. In April I'll be in Cabo again - booked at another resort already, much to my dismay. I'm quite sure I'll be changing those plans and returning to Villa del Arco for the third time in a year. I think that is testament to the quality in itself - I can't get enough!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Stayed there for 5 nights at the end of October and beginning of November. The resort is very nice and you would not be disappointed if you stay here.

Rooms: We had a studio which is in essence a nice hotel room with a mini kitchen (mini fridge, sink and microwave). The room was modern and the balcony was more than sufficient.

Pool: Very nice, plenty of seating -- although we were there in a slower season. Not sure I get the "pirate ship", but it did not take away from the experience. There are also 2 hot tubs within the pool and a couple other hot tubs that are isolated on the resort grounds which is nice.

Beach: Nice, swimmable with a number of available chairs. There are a number of vendors -- but they were not overly offensive or pushy. I would suggest taking the water taxi to lovers/divorce beach ($10 pp round trip).

Restaurants: We did not eat at the restaurants other than a sushi roll and a couple of drinks at the sushi restaurant for happy hour. There are plenty of good restaurants in town and gives you a better flavor of Cabo. There are a number of restaurants about 10 minutes down the beach if you so choose.

Location: It was fine, but not really within walking distance to much. Don't be fooled -- it is not a 10 minute walk to downtown or the marina. You can either take a cab for $6 or the bus will pick youup/drop you off outside the hotel entrance and take you to the downtown/marina area for 7 pesos ($.70) pp.

Timeshare People: They ask -- but will not bother you after a simple "no thanks".

Hope this review helps -- we would gladly stay there again.

Stayed: October 2008
6  Thank rs9
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I have nothing bad to say. We rejected the time share lecture at the first mention of the "Gold Card" and went to our upgraded room. Staff was great, room was great, prices were fine. We had a great time and we will definitely stay at the Villa Del Arco again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple