“Poor Customer Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, OR
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 31 May 2007

Beautiful Property and loved the Deluxe Suite. the hotel has the potential to be excellent however, from the moment you walk in you are harrassed with purchasing their time share and gold card program. Dont think it stops there.... they will continue to harrass while at the beach, sitting at the pool, basically if you need anything. Housekeeping was extremely rare and if they did come they always took the towels so you will have to call them daily to get a towel. Most importantly, the spa service. It took me 2 days to get an appointment for a massage at the pool. When apt. arrived the spa had overbooked and becuase the other member was a "gold" member they bumped me and could not get me a new apt.

we decided on this resort because of the activities, spa and location. I would not recommend this hotel if you have any expectations of service.

• Liked — deluxe suite
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank SarahShez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
Charlotte
Reviewed 29 May 2007

The property has strengths and weaknesses. For the strengths: This is a beautiful property with a good location. The air-conditioning is excellent. The pools are nice although 2 are too cold and one is too warm. Pool and beach wait staff are very nice. Now for the weaknesses. If you don’t sit through their sales pitch and get a gold card you’re treated like a 2nd class citizen for your entire stay by everyone. The front desk including the day managers have no concept of good customer service. The walls between the rooms are so thin that you have to hear your neighbors cough or snore all night. The doors on closets have are missing hinges and no closing hardware. It’s impossible to put makeup on in the bathroom because you only have one recessed light. Anyone with knee difficulties will have trouble getting in and out of the tub because the walls are about 3 feet high and 6 inches wide. Get up by 9 for a good seat at the prime pool. Beach area enclosure is about 10 yards wide and the hawkers are at you all day. Be sure to set the alarm because the hotel wakeup calls were 15 minutes late every day. If you’re on the lower floor expect your room to be made up at about 4 every afternoon and your towel will be hit or miss. Sandpaper towels. Definitely not 4 stars.

• Liked — property
  • Disliked — rooms particullaly noise from other rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank djp001
kansas
Reviewed 23 May 2007

Another couple and my wife and I stayed here in may.It was costly but a very nice suite with a hottub. At 8 am in the morning we heard a loud noise with the door close! We went on the deck to see that contractors were working on 4 different floors. Skill saws ripping, hammering and pounding throughout the day. They told us it would be over at 5pm . Thats when the paint crew came in to work till 8 pm so you had a hard time sensing the ocean over the paint fumes. They said we could move to the suite in front by the ocean but when we were on the beach you can still hear all the sawing.
They agreed to knock off $250 a nite so we took it since we wre already there.
They told our travel agent that the construction would be done in April. I just don't want anyone to have to go through this. The reason you go here is to relax and enjoy the view. You can't !!!
Since the place is shaped like a U there is no way to get away from the noise no matter what room or level you are on.
They should deduct %40 off . We got %25 off a nite but we were stuck cause we were already there. If you already have it booked cancel if you can or ask for a consruction price because you won't be able to enjoy your deck. Anyone who would like proof feel free to write on here asking for the video I took then you can see and hear for your self. I will be glad it put it on one of the video websites . Hopefully this saves you a headache or at least saves you money. This is too bad because it was a nice place.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank instyletim
Villa_del_Arco_GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2007
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your feed back and sharing your experience in our Hotel.
We would like to offer you our most sincere apology for the inconvenience you had due to the construction, we would like to let you know that we informed our travel industry partners that we are going to finish at the end of May, and we are on schedule to meet the deadline.
Hoping you could give us the opportunity of being your Host in the future, we thank you again for your time and comments.

usa
Reviewed 10 May 2007

My boyfriend and I just returned last night from 5 incredible nights in Cabo. We booked Villa del Arco via Expedia based upon the star rating and price. I travel much for work and have become somewhat of a hotel snob and have high expectations for amenities and service. With that said, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Villa del Arco.

We were a bit leary of the resort given its 3.5 Trip Advisor rating, but were reassured with nothing but great service! We booked the deluxe suite with 2 Queen beds on Expedia for $149/night. The King suites were$90-100 more per night. However, I had read a Reviewer's comments about getting an upgrade so upon arrival, I asked them if there were any upgrades available. He first told us it would be $90 more per night and that they were almost sold out. After a little bit of prodding, he gave us a FREE upgrade to a King Suite. The suite was large with a living room, full kitchen, washer/dryer, jacuzzi tub and large patio. We got a room on the first floor and didn't have much of a view, but had easy access to the pool area. Its not like we were going to sit in our room to enjoy the magnificent views!

The maid service was great and the food on the property was very very good. We ate lunch by the pool everyday. The food is very good and reasonably priced. The pools are very family oriented and there is easy access to the beach. The close proximity to all the water sports on El Medano beach was very nice.

We attended the Mexican Fiesta night at the sister property, Villa Del Palmar. The food was okay. We ate dinner our first night at the Tortugas restaurant at the Palmar. It is sub-par. We would not recommend it. The restaurants at the Del Arco are much better.

Of course, they tried very hard to get us to do the time share presentation, which we declined. However, we did see many many people taking advantage of the "Gold Card" discount card that you receive after the time share presentation. We didn't feel like we missed out on any great deals without the Gold Card.

This was my second trip to Cabo and it was just as good as the first! I would definitely recommend Villa Del Arco again. Its not a great spot for singles, but is very well suited for families with small children and couples.

• Liked — Brand New Property
  • Disliked — Stay was too short!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank traveltx
Villa_del_Arco_GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2007
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time the share your experience in our Resort, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would like to let you know that we are going to keep working on our service to improve and exceed the expectations of our guest.
Hoping to have the opportunity of hosting you in your next visit to Los Cabos, we thank you again.

San Diego, Ca
Reviewed 9 May 2007

I've just returned from a five night stay at the Villa Del Arco in a One Bedroom unit and had a fantastic time. The resort is beautiful, everything is top of the line. The rooms have everything you need, and it really does look like all the pictures! The pools are great, and the beach was lovely! We took our 16 month old daughter and the pool was perfect for her, it has a great shallow area where they can splash away. The lower pool was heated, but the upper one was not.

I was really worried after reading some reviews about the resort, so I will address the two most common ones the timeshare factor and the construction. First of all the construction is almost done, and it honestly didn't bother us at all - and we were facing the construction. When down at the pool or beach you can't even hear it, and they are done by 6:00 pm. The Fitness center was open, but the Spa wasn't done yet. The Spa is going to be great when its all done, sometime in July! In the mean time the one at the Villa del Palmar was wonderful…it’s a short walk or 1 minute trolley ride.

As far as the timeshare goes, I was prepared for a pushy sales tactic and aware of how the "welcome breakfast" works - there is no such thing as a free meal. So, we said No Thank You from the beginning and we were not bothered again. We did have some good laughs watching the other people take the tours all day long and got to hear their sales pitches over and over - they all sounded the same! Our friends also came an had the same experience, just say no from the beginning and they will respect your wishes - unless of course you really are interested in owning a time share.

My only complaint was that I didn't think the front desk was super friendly, they were nice enough but everyone in the lobby is really focused on the timeshare process so they are not super willing to help you out. However, everyone else at the resort was so nice and helpful. There is always some one working behind the scenes, gardening, cleaning, etc I was very impressed.

Cabo is very expensive, we had breakfast in our room, lunch usually at the Deli which is in the market next to the Palmar and dinner out. Some great restaurants we liked were Ponchos, Mi Casa, and Edith's. This was my second time in Cabo, and I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank calimomSanDiego
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to write and share your experience in our Hotel, we are happy to know that you had a good experience in our Hotel.
Hoping to have the opportunity of being your host in the near future, we thank you again.
Orange County
Reviewed 8 May 2007

My husband and I decided to book a last minute trip to Cabo and booked this hotel about 24 hours in advance of our arrival. When we arrived, the front desk could not find our reservation even though I had a printed confirmation from American Express Travel Services. Of course, they didn't have any vacancies and could only offer us a room at their sister hotel, Villa del Palmar, two doors down (that's another disappointment). While the lobby at Villa del Arco seemed nice enough and was quiet with only a few guests sitting around it, I doubt that the $700+ cost per night would have been worth it. Most frustrating was the unapologetic attitude of the front desk. I guess they thought they were doing us a favor by putting us up somewhere. Since we stayed in their sister resort we were able to use the Villa del Arco's restaurant's, etc. By the way, one cannot actually see the famous Arco from the hotel. You must get a water taxi and take the boat out to it and unless you like sitting in wet clothes or are only wearing your bathing suit, I'd recommend hiring a boat at the harbor rather than wading out into the ocean to catch a water taxi. Overall, I doubt we will return to Cabo after this experience and becausse everything in town is over-priced. A final word to the wise - watch out for "freebies" because they (and "they" are everywhere) are really trying to get you to sit down for a long time-share presentation.

• Liked — quiet lobby
  • Disliked — front desk & management staff
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank OCmomOrangeCounty
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back, we also want to offer you an apology for the inconvenience you had at the check in. When you arrived the reservation did not appear in our records, and unfortunately we did not have any room available to accommodate you. We are very sorry that our front desk staff did not show any empathy.
We would like to assure you that we are going to work with our personnel to avoid situations like this in the future. We sincerely hope that you could give us the opportunity of showing you that our main commitment is the satisfaction of our Guest.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2007

We were there Spring Break 4/7-4/14. The rooms were incredible...spacious, new, clean. The patio is huge! Daily maid service, washer/dryer. There was not an oven. However, the convection microwave has bake feature...very surprised how well it worked, baked french bread..perfect! The restaurant LePurla is very nice, upscale, I would ditch the kids, they would probably be bored. Take them to Panchos or The Office for entertainment. We went down to LePurla a few nights for drinks, listen to Sax player as we sat on patio next to chimnea and my husband smoke a cigar. Edith's is our favorite restaurant...great food and excellant service. $475 for 3 kids and 2 adults...which included only 4 margaritas. Pancho's is great food, atmosphere and reasonable prices. The Office, food ok, but great atmosphere.

I rented through a timeshare owner, ---. Great guy to work with. We saved about half and got priority ocean view. We were in 3603A, sixth floor next to penthouse looking over public beach and medano beach. The location of the resort is 5 minutes from town. Can walk to Medano Beach through the surf and sand in 12 minutes. Stop at Tabasco's next door and drink a cervas or Margarita on the way.

I want nice accomodations...my family heard me say everyday how much I loved the Villa and I would come back and recommend it to my family and friends....that doesn't happen much, I'm picky. Have fun!

• Liked — Spacious room and huge patio.
  • Disliked — Pool was crowded, 80% of chairs were reserved by 7AM.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
10 Thank mpowers1
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share the experience you had in our Hotel, we are happy to know that you and your family enjoy your stay with us, and we would be honored to have you with us again in the future.