“Love Cabo, just not the resort!!”

Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I just arrived home from a 7-day stay at Hacienda Encantada and was not impressed to say the least. I did my research before booking and read many reviews and it seemed like a good deal. My friend and I decided to go to the timeshare presentation on day 2, as we were promised $200 in spa coupons to do so. The presentation was not 1.5 hours as stated to us, it was closer to 2.5 hours which was cutting in to our vacation time. Our sales rep, DC, needs a class in customer service. He told us members do not like to hang out at the pool etc with non-members, which to me makes no sense. If you are a member and love the property why wouldn't you want to spread the word so others would buy? He said the reason we got such a great deal is because the Hacienda Encantada partners with Expedia to get people in for the sales promotion. He also said once you stay as a non-member you can never stay there again, unless ofcourse you buy. No worries, I would never want to stay again and/or recommend the resort to anyone.

In the evening of day 2, I got severe food poisoning!! I had to get the on-call physician to come to my room and give me a shot to stop the vomiting. Sadly enough, this is one of the positives of the resort, the physician was there within 30 minutes and he did a wonderful job. The following day, we saw DC on the property and told him how sick I was the night before and his customer service skills were off again. He said oh it's just a little Montezuma's revenge, nothing a jump in 69 deg ocean won't fix, you had some "tainted" food. He never once asked if I was feeling better, etc. None of the employees seemed to care that they were serving "tainted" food, their response was, no one else has gotten sick. I have travelled to several countries and yes it does take some time for your body to adjust to new cuisine but this was true food poisoning (which was the physician's diagnosis).

The resort itself is beautiful and very well maintained. It is perched on a sloping cliff and can be difficult to navigate. They do have golf carts to drive you around the resort, we opted to walk most of the time as we wanted the exercise. But for the elderly and those with any physical disabilitites it could be a bit challenging. Another positive, the guys that drive that carts are very friendly and helpful. I wish I could say more for the rest of the staff, but it just wasn't there and probably never will be.

4  Thank Michele77777
Write a ReviewReviews (3,244)

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Our second visit to Hacienda Encantada was great! The resort staff is friendly and helpful. Everyone wants you to enjoy your visit. The pools were warm and inviting. The activities were varied and fun--cooking and water arobics with Fernan were my favorites. Our view of the Sea of Cortez provided us with the opportunity to see hump back whales every day! The unit we were in was clean and very comfortable. A great place to stay in Cabo!!

Room Tip: The top floors offer better views of the Sea of Cortez.
1  Thank JMT11_45
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The Hacienda Encantada Resort is beautiful, no doubt about it, Now only if you could stay there! We had the same problem as Chandise A. We had to wait at least 2 hours before someone finally told us that they were over booked and we would have to stay at the Marina Fiesta. We too were compensated but not without a hassle every day. What made matters worse was that our friends, who are owners, were staying at the Hacienda. Nice way to treat your owners friends! We heard every excuse under the sun as to why this happened. We had booked our room in June of 2011. That didn't mean a thing. I've never heard so much double talk in my life. The Marina Fiesta is an old hotel and doesn't begin to compare to the Hacienda. I would guess at least 90 percent of the people staying at the Marina were people who had reservations at the Hacienda Encantada. It seems unbelievable but everyone we spoke with were in the same situation. We did however enjoy the Marina Fiestas location - right on the Marina where there are a lot shops and restaurants. Of course, that means noise! Cabo is beautiful but unless you are a member don't think that the reservaion you have for the Hacienda Encantada will mean a thing. Book some where else! There are many beautiful resorts in Cabo.

3  Thank spmjks1965
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We just returned from a 5-day stay here through Groupon and it was wonderful. It is a timeshare property, but I never felt like they treated us any differently in terms of service, even though we were part of the Groupon package. Every staff member was very friendly and accomodating Our package included breakfast buffet every day (seriously the best I have had at a resort), a romantic dinner and a free bottle of wine. What a deal--this was the most affordable trip I've taken in awhile.

You will be staying in Phase 2 if you aren't an owner, and most of the rooms do not have the amazing view...but really, who wants to stay in their room the whole time anyway? We had a ground level suite with a large patio next to the community area where they have the lightly-attended nightly activities. We had a sliver of a view, but it also felt very private and I just appreciated the ability to sit on a patio in the middle of March. So just know that you may not get an ocean view, but it's pretty easy to walk up to the restaurant or the pool and enjoy the view whenever you want. I didn't find the golf carts necessary or intrusive. If you really feel the need to skip the great exercise in walking to dinner, just start walking and one of the friendly drivers will find you and give you a lift. It's really not that far of a walk anywhere in the resort and I feel it just adds to the charm.

The timeshare people here are relentless, but everyone is trying sell you something in Cabo--just wait until you go downtown, it gets worse. Just be firm with them and you will be fine. We talked to someone who got stuck in a timeshare presentation for 3 hours, so I would advise against it.

I was not impressed with Cabo San Lucas itself--the beach was nice, but you can't relax when people are trying to sell you something every 5 minutes. There's a little bit of Spring Break action going on, but it didn't seem as out of control as I would have expected. The price-gouging in town is horrendous. I found the hotel had reasonable prices on food and drinks, and the little store had comparable prices to the grocery store where we stocked up before checking in. After going into town, we didn't feel the need to leave the resort. The only cons I can think of is the smoking around the pool is kind of irritating sometimes and transportation costs can add up, since the resort is removed from the airport and all the action. Great vacation and I definitely recommend Hacienda Encantada for anyone looking for relaxation and great service.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room in Phase 2 if you want views. They may or may not give it to you, but it'...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The resort property is very beautiful. The infinity pool overlooking the Sea of Cortez was lovely. The weather during the day was perfect but it was a little cool and breezy at night. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean with a great view. The food at Las Marias was just average. Fernan, the activities director was great - so friendly and enthusiastic but not pushy at all - just a very warm and kind person. The whale watching excursion was well worth it!
My only complaint with the resort is that we felt railroaded into the vacation club presentation that took over 3 hours rather than 90 minutes. Other than that, the staff was great and we enjoyed our stay. Also, be careful of rental car rates. They don't warn you when you book online that some insurance is mandatory from the rental car companies.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor in Phase two so you will get a beautiful view and nice new room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My boyfriend and I bought a Living Social deal to come here for a 4 night stay. It was absolutely wonderful. The staff are just lovely, so kind and helpful. The views are incredible, and it was great eating breakfast every morning at Las Marias with that view of the ocean and Land's End. I read complaints from people before our trip about how they were placed in Phase Two of the resort with "views of the construction" and how unhappy they were about that, and to them I say... they're being ridiculous. We were in Phase Two and yes, when you're walking from the elevator to your room you can see that they are planning construction of a Phase Three behind the tall, lovely, vine covered wall that separates the resort from the desert behind it. But its not a big deal, and our actual balcony view overlooked the gorgeous courtyard, pool, and a bit of the ocean. We were very happy with it. Also, its a drive away from the Marina where all the 'action' is, but they have a shuttle that take you there and it wasn't a problem for us either. We much preferred staying at the calm and relaxing Hacienda Encantada and taking the shuttle than staying near the crazy and loud and exciting marina.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We just got back from a month long stay at Hacienda Encantada and can't wait to get back. The resort itself is beautiful and very clean. The grounds are immaculate and the view is priceless. I always feel totally safe and secure at the resort and the surrounding area. The above mentioned are must have criteria for us to consider staying at a resort but what makes this place special are the people that work there. Fernan, the activities director, is absolutely wonderful. He is always upbeat and smiling and greets everyone as if they are his friends. Really knows how to get everyone involved and having fun. Now as for the bus boys an cart drivers I can't say enough. What a great group of guys. Victor, Francisco, Paul, Allen and on and on. From the front desk people, the wait staff, and the sales people they were all great. Thanks so much for a great time.

Room Tip: higher rooms best view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia M
HaciendaEncantada, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your experience during your recent stay. It is with great pleasure that we have read your report filled with such valuable feedback and we would like to thank you for your high rating.
Hopefully you will be able to come back soon.

Kind regards,