“Absolutely Enchanting!”

Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Francisco, California
“Absolutely Enchanting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

My mother and I had a wonderful stay at Hacienda Encantada. We were there to celebrate the New Year and attend a friend's wedding. As soon as we arrived, we were received with the most kindest and welcoming staff. The entire hotel and our room was immaculate clean. I noticed their cleaning girls cleaning every balcony, corner and stairs and entire hotel everyday. Very organized staff. The concierges were always so friendly and helpful. Our room had a beautiful view to the pool and ocean. There are two large scale swimming pools, two jacuzzis and infinity pools...plenty of swim space for everyone! The main pool meets ocean view! its divine! Plenty of lawn chairs to relax in! This resort is very private in comparison to other resorts we visited in the area..I really liked that it can be quiet. This hotel is in between Punta Ballena Resort (Esperanza) and Hacienda del Mar.This resort does offer their guests daily complimentary activities, including Aquarobics, cooking lesson, Spanish lessons, at evening time cocktail hapoy hour and folkloric dancing. The restaurant at Las Marias is delicious! That is where you get your breakfast...and a fabulous buffet awaits you! There are two other venues to eat lunch, at the pool...loved the quesadillas and pina coladas! As you sunbathe, there are staff to assist you with any need for cocktails and food! Ordering room service was great too! This hotel offers various accommodations packages which include all you can eat and drink! Definitely a plus! Also complimentary Swedish massage for 50 minutes! wow! yes! The massage was amazing! There is also a gym next to the spa, so you can do your workout too! The resort also offers complimentary shuttle ride to Marina Fiesta (a sister hotel of Hacienda Encantada)which is located in central Cabo San Lucas (at the marina). You can go there and swim at their pool! and walk and discover rest of surrounding town. One minor note, depending on which room you stay in, sometimes the walls are a bit noisy, so if there's a room with family, you may hear them laughing! but it never really bothered me! It is a luxurious and beautiful resort. It is completely authentic, Mexican style architecture and interior design. There are several lovely fountains you will discover as you walk the terrain. There is art everywhere! Beautiful paintings which were commissioned by an artist from Guadalajara, you will see paintings on every hall and many walls, and lobby. The hotel lobby is like a livingroom in which has displayed a table full of fabulous books about Cabo, Diego Rivera, and other, so one can submerge to sit and read, and learn more about Mexican culture. The ocean is magnificent to look from the restaurant vista and at the infinity pool! The weather was very nice, about 70-74F daily and at night would drop to 54-56F....a bit windy at night, so make sure to bring a sweater! At Las Marias restaurant, since its an open space, it can get a little cold in the evenings, and they have mastered by offering their guests a poncho to wear to keep you warm. There is also heating lamps, so its all very comfy! Hacienda Encantada is one of the most beautiful resorts in Cabo and so glad I stayed there! It feels like home, everyone is so attentive and wonderful. Also note: this resort will be expanding and will make a larger spa and gym and more rooms....its already a masterpiece, in a few years it will be even greater! Upon my next trip, I shall stay there again and again!!

3 Thank Ametropolis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Polish first
Short Hills, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

I loved the room, quiet location and view from the balcony. The service was friendly although often the restaurants and bars were not all open. Make sure that they take the incidental deposit off of your credit card before you leave. I have been contacting them for two months on this and they are just now telling me that they will only respond if I file a dispute with my credit card company.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MET1205
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

On checking in, they accidentally (I do believe it was a mistake) charged my card. They phoned the room to say they were issuing credit--they had only meant to make a copy of the card at check in. Unfortunately, I did not receive a credit reciept, and when I returned to America, the charge was still on my card--$500.00!
Sure, they were attentive and helpful before and during our stay, but I can't get anyone to dialogue with me about the overcharge after. Fortunately, American Express has not paid the bill,though they are asking for proof of the credit. I felt if I could only speak with someone at the hotel this could all be cleared up, but they have taken the low road. Beware.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmh3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

We just got back home from an all inclusive vacation at the Hacienda Encantada and I must say we absolutely loved it! We just wish we could have stayed longer. Marta, thebar tender at the outside bar near the hot tub and fire pit wad amazing and Greg at the pool bar nearest the ocean was great as well. Another honorable mention must go to Fernan for getting us all excited about daily activities! My favorite food would have to have been the guacamole and chips with the beef quesadillas. The service was impecable and food was great too. Although if we did not have A.I. the food would have been way over priced. Overall we loved everything about our vacation at Hacienda Encantada and We will be returning.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Kr0919
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed a week, arriving on New Year's day. Check-in was quick, and the room was INCREDIBLE (we had a suite with King bed). Our room was over the pool in phase two. We loved this place and want to go back; we actually became owners because of it (and we are already owners somewhere else). Even so, there are some things to be aware of -- I'm writing them down for anyone who wants to plan their vacation. Even the particulars I've listed as "worst" things are purely cautionary -- we loved the Hacienda Encantada and plan to return ASAP.
BEST things about this resort:

The views, the views, the views, the views.
Balconies -- really a deep porch, outfitted with comfy furniture, so deep that wind and cool weather was offset. We literally lived on the "porch."
REally hot water REALLY fast. Also, it's soft water (conditioned)
The beds -- firm, lovely.
Aesthetics --lots of art, attention to details such as candles, great jacuzzi bathtub with a stained glass window/door which you could open in order to choose to look out at the view (or at TV) or not. Majolica ceramics everywhere, even the dishes are handmade ceramics (glasses are lovely mexican blown glass, too), thirsty towels.
Beautiful tilework (some painted tiles), granite counters, stainless steel sink in kitchen.. Everything very squeaky clean.
The VIEWS -- to die for! Great just from our room, and if you really want to relax, go to lower section of the resort and lay on the deck chairs w/without umbrellas. The waves are crashing on rocks right below you -- so amazing and gorgeous. We swam in the lower pool at night, also (the infinity pool) which was warm, dark, romantic. We could hear the waves crashing below -- excellent.
Gym is basic but sufficient -- we used it everyday -- they had towels and water and reallly plenty of various machines.
We opted to NEVER take the carts (unless we had groceries) -- we walked everywhere, lots of stairs and hills, and got great exercise. One morning we hiked to the top of a hill by the lighthouse and saw a stupendous sunrise.
Some of the entertainment was wonderful -- folklorical dancing and mariachi trios.
Cozy, comfy robes and slippers.
QUIET< QUIET QUIET at night EXCEPT for Friday night -- staff was talking/crashing things until wee hours.
I can't speak to the maid service because we never use it, but they seemed attentive and nice, and as I said, everything was beautifully clean.
There are shallow pools for kids and a very fun water fountain that comes up from the ground with buckets that fill and spray water on you -- the pool has toys. There is a playground. Other than that, there's not a lot for kids who are used to being highly entertained.

WORST THINGS:

THE FOOD -- terrible service,and awful food at high prices. It's a shame!!! Such an incredible spot, yet the food seriously sucks. There's only one restaurant, so you're stuck. Cook in the wonderful kitchen and you're okay. Same with the pool side food -- nothing special, high priced, and service is VERY iffy. The lack of good food at this resort makes the all inclusive a poor choice, I feel. And without that choice, in such a remote area, what else can you do? There is a little store (La Tiendita) but it has few choice and is, of course, expensive. To get groceries, you have to take the shuttle into the Marina, go to Costco or Walmart (you can get a bus there) then take a taxi back (you are not allowed to schlep groceries on the shuttle).

The bars and drinks are the same -- even being laid back and lazy, when you order a drink, you kinda want it within the next half an hour. Don't expect that here -- but sometimes, you'll get it. VERY inconsistent service. We tipped constantly and generously, but it did not affect anyone's attentiveness (which was not why we were doing it, but just as an aside . . . . there you have it).

Kitchens only have microwaves and there are no grills on site (guests are not allowed to grill for insurance purposes). There are also no dishwashers. There is nowhere to buy fresh fish and really nowhere to fish unless you rent a boat and go out on the water (which is expensive).

The place is remote -- if you like to party, don't stay here. $5 bucks per person per way on the shuttle, and it only leaves every two hours. You can rent a car, but I felt that driving around there was confusing -- we only rented a car one day to go to Todos Santos (more high priced art with little bartering, but a sweet town. If you go, be sure to have a meal at Tequila Sunrise across from the Hotel California -- smarmy name but EXCELLENT food -- best meal of our entire trip!)
Taxi's cost $20 each way, but because of the inflated price, no tipping is expected/required.
You can get a car for a whole week for about $150 if you rent at the airport, and Hacienda Encantada doesn't charge to park (but valet can get expensive). Rent from H. E. and it'll cost around $60 a day for the cheapest car

There was a funky smell in the rooms -- it had something to do with plumbing -- and it came and went. Smelled like mold.

The pool bars play constant 70's/80s music on bad speakers. We got really tired of the same music for an entire week.

The staff is noisy in the early morning hours (I'm talking 5:30/6 am). Talking, chatting, laughing,singing, or setting up poolside with jarring loud noises -- it's a little odd. I'm an early riser so it didn't bother me, but I was daily puzzled by how little the staff seemed to care about the guests in this manner.

The carts are SUPER loud and nauseatingly stinky. The H.E. needs to get serious about electric golf carts -- they would be somuch nicer as well as better for the environment. I had to cover my face every time one went by us -- phew!

Internet service is sporadic at best, and TV's are mediocre. If you are into TV, these will disappoint you (horrible pictures we could not adjust).

If you are not an owner, there is a $10 per day Interval charge -- truly a hidden charge, we were not told about it until the next to the last day.

The resort is on the beach, but there really IS no beach . . . not how you imagine a beach, anyway. Even if you could safely get into the water, there are signs posted warning about rip tides and safety.
However, all beaches are open to the public, and there was one to the east of us that looked hike-able . . . we just never tried it because it was unseasonably cool while we were there.

4 Thank gadfly58
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Arrived Jan 1, 2011 and will leave on Jan 15, 2011. I am writing this on our oceanfront deck watching the sunrise and await the daily parade of whales and cruise ships. This is a fantastic place for views. Watching the sunset and sunrises. Just can't get enough. Make sure you request "Phase 1" if you have the opportunity. Most have a good view. If you are placed in Phase 2 a higher floor at the North end of the complex has better views.
The pools are wonderful and the staff are helpful everytime we made a request. Deck chairs are not to be reserved but you know that people don't listen to that much. So be prepared to watch for chairs often if you want a good spot.
The timeshare presentation was not high pressure but also didn't pay as much as some of the others in the area. The rooms don't have ovens but the microwaves were supposed to be microwaves. Our was not. We had a studio with 2 queen beds. Very comfortable but would prefer King bed. The restaurant pricing is high but if you use the "diamond card" you get a discount. We used one of our timeshare gift certificates for a mealat one of the pools, however, the diamond card can't be used in conjuction so the balance of $13 was lost as our burger and clubhouse and 2 drinks were only 37 dollars.
The mandatory valet parking was a treat but if you want to tip every time it could get costly. We walked to our car often as we wanted the exercise anyway. We also walked to our room but when you have groceries you may want to take the escorted golf carts that are provided. They are available anytime you call. The resort was about 75 percent full and we never had trouble getting a driver when we wanted one but again we walked alot.
The entrance is still unfinished after 3 years but should be open by the end of 2011. With many phases of the development to be yet completed it will be a terrific property for investment.
If you are driving yourself from the airport (SJD) watch for the signs and you will do just fine. Be aware that you go past the entrance (you can't turn left into the drive) and circle back on the other side of the road for the entrace to the hotel property.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

This hotel is very nice, all the areas with a spectacular view. The concierges, waiters, pool waiters, bell boys all of them are really nice and professional except for the wedding coordinator Iris Cota. At the beginning my wedding coordinator was a different person, I really loved her but unfortunately she left the hotel. At this time Iris got to the property and when she introduced herself to us, she seems to be a very professional person…my nightmare just started at that moment. I really don’t have the enough time to describe how she made that important day as a nightmare: She show up the day of my wedding 3 hours prior to my event, 2 days before changed the DJ for a friend, She was going to assist my mom with the seating at the party(my mom did it by herself and some friends), during the party was all the time talking to the DJ, she forgot to print the name tag’s for the ceremony….WHO WEDDING COORDINATOR DO IT???? The service was awful many dirty dishes on the table, not enough plate ware and the cherry on the cake was when at the end of the party she ask us for a TIPS for doing ANYTHING. Please don´t get married while she still works there, believe me I wouldn´t recommend HER. The place is BEAUTIFUL but IRIS COTA is not professional event coordinator.

• Stayed November 2010